***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 744 Old 11-13-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I mainly want to know if it will do Netflix and Amazon at 24 fps...?
How do you test for true 24fps?
fafrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 744 Old 11-13-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
VUDU DV plays as 2160p Rec.2020 and looks as good or better than the DV playback directly to the OLED (all while rendering Atmos through the AVR) so in terms of video quality, it's pretty much confirmed (while there may need to be some eventual update to eventually have is say Dolby Vision for the same output).

It may actually just be an issue with the TV App at this point - we should get someone with a Vizio P yo try the same test.
I'm not sure I follow. And I missed your post this morning.

Are you saying the Chromecast Ultra -plays HDR from vudu? I'm not sure I follow about the atmos going to amp and video directly to tv?

Also, unless vudu started with hdr10 as well as DV it must be DV. As far as I know they said someday. Pretty sure it's not yet.

Thanks for the info and upcoming clarification. Sorry I did not follow exactly.
MarkMul1 is offline  
post #33 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
I'm not sure I follow. And I missed your post this morning.

Are you saying the Chromecast Ultra -plays HDR from vudu? I'm not sure I follow about the atmos going to amp and video directly to tv?

Also, unless vudu started with hdr10 as well as DV it must be DV. As far as I know they said someday. Pretty sure it's not yet.

Thanks for the info and upcoming clarification. Sorry I did not follow exactly.
There is no HDR from vudu yet. Also the original post referencing 2160p and BT.2020 didn't understand what he was seeing. The TV displays what the connected device is capable of sending. Not the current feed being received. Tested last night and mine showed the same even though the feed was OTA 1080i.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
 
post #34 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
According to Jake from VUDU Engineering,
https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...60#post1294460

"The VUDU Chromecast app supports Dolby Vision.

But whether is is passed from the Chomecast, through specific receivers or into a specific model TV is up to the manufacturers of those devices to properly support. Unfortunately there can be various compatibility issues related to 4K (@60Hz etc), Dolby Vision, and HDCP 2.2 that can prevent it.

Of the TVs that we have tried it has been pretty inconsistent, unfortunately. We have been reporting issues found to manufacturers, but encourage you to do the same."

"According to Google, the Chromecast only supports Dolby Vision if the TV accepts 4k@60Hz 10 bit input, not 4K@30Hz. So you'd have to take that up with Google and/or LG...".
so the last statement from google. . . the LG does take a 4k@60 signal and it's a 10 bit panel so you should be able to get DV from it?

I almost feel like they threw the DV on it for hype cause saying it's because of anyone else besides them.

So as of now no DV from anything right?
jimim is offline  
post #35 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
So as of now no DV from anything right?
I haven't seen anyone confirm DV.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #36 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
so the last statement from google. . . the LG does take a 4k@60 signal and it's a 10 bit panel so you should be able to get DV from it?

I almost feel like they threw the DV on it for hype cause saying it's because of anyone else besides them.

So as of now no DV from anything right?
I wouldn't call it hype. DV is clearly superior to HDR10.

But it looks like we're still waiting on a firmware update from google.

Yesterday as I was doing some testing I moved my nvidia shield to the same tv and tested the shield and chromecast side by side. The shield CLEARLY has better image quality. It also doesn't have the ramp up time on streaming services where they start with poor quality and then ramp up to 4k. The shield seems to start at 4k right away.
Of course there is a large price difference between the two.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #37 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I wouldn't call it hype. DV is clearly superior to HDR10.

But it looks like we're still waiting on a firmware update from google.

Yesterday as I was doing some testing I moved my nvidia shield to the same tv and tested the shield and chromecast side by side. The shield CLEARLY has better image quality. It also doesn't have the ramp up time on streaming services where they start with poor quality and then ramp up to 4k. The shield seems to start at 4k right away.
Of course there is a large price difference between the two.
For me, the UHD/HDR is similar. The UHD non-HDR and HD have a definite red push (so I don't watch). My ChromeCast loads quickly, but I have a Gb wireless router and 250+ Mbps download speeds.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #38 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
For me, the UHD/HDR is similar. The UHD non-HDR and HD have a definite red push (so I don't watch). My ChromeCast loads quickly, but I have a Gb wireless router and 250+ Mbps download speeds.
My chromecast is wired. Still doesn't load that quickly. And the ramp up time takes a bit. I also have a gen 1 and 2 chromecast. The ultra feels like the gen 2 in terms of load time.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #39 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 1,485
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I wouldn't call it hype. DV is clearly superior to HDR10.
Let's avoid yet another DV vs HDR10 argument. It seems to happen in every UHD related thread. There was a thread created especially for this purpose.

DOLBY VISION vs. HDR10

CJ
claw is offline  
post #40 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Please don't start another DV vs HDR10 argument. It seems to happen in every UHD related thread. There was a thread created especially for this purpose.

DOLBY VISION vs. HDR10


I wasn't. Just saying imo Dolby vision is better to my eye when comparing image quality of devices and why I want dv working on the ultra.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #41 of 744 Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
I wouldn't call it hype. DV is clearly superior to HDR10.

But it looks like we're still waiting on a firmware update from google.

Yesterday as I was doing some testing I moved my nvidia shield to the same tv and tested the shield and chromecast side by side. The shield CLEARLY has better image quality. It also doesn't have the ramp up time on streaming services where they start with poor quality and then ramp up to 4k. The shield seems to start at 4k right away.
Of course there is a large price difference between the two.
when i say hype i mean with google trying to capture purchases of the unit by saying it does DV when as of now it doesn't. DV itself not hype. i totally agree.
jimim is offline  
post #42 of 744 Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Member
 
voyager6868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
I have a Roku Ultra but am happy to ditch it of the Chromecast Ultra is better. Anyone know if it can do things that the Roku can't, like 24hz Netflix/Amazon and or work more reliably for 4K HDR?
From what I can tell so far, everything is output at 60Hz (Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube). I've heard that Vudu can output at 24Hz, but have not tried it.

The big negative for me, is that it seems to output everything at 4:2:2/12-bit, and both my receiver and TV have issues with 12-bit signals. Both seem to drop it to an 8-bit signal, and lots of banding ensues.

Hope they will add an option to use 10-bit output.
voyager6868 is offline  
post #43 of 744 Old 11-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I created a playlist of all YouTube HDR videos for Chromecast Ultra that I know of

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WAHeUZWMCqPMRT

I will keep it up to date as much as possible.

Last edited by zmarty; 11-15-2016 at 11:20 PM.
zmarty is offline  
post #44 of 744 Old 11-17-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JaremyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MI
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Anyone seeing a distinctive red push on the CCU? It's there casting anything for me. The built in casting of Vizio P75 does not have it.
JaremyP is offline  
post #45 of 744 Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Anyone seeing a distinctive red push on the CCU? It's there casting anything for me. The built in casting of Vizio P75 does not have it.
Definitely on non-HDR material.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #46 of 744 Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
If anyone's successfully gotten the Chromecadt Ultra to stream Atmos audio into their AVRs from the free VUDU Atmos Demos, please let me know.

I can get Atmos through my Bluray player but the Chromecast Ultra seems to be sending PCM (or my AVRs Auto function is interpreting the Audio Stream from the Ultra as PCM).

Either way, Atmos is not working and if there is not an easy way to change some settings in the Chromevast Ultra (or my Marantz NR1606 AVR) to have the Chromecadt Ultra stream Atmos at least as well as my Bluray Player, it's going back...
nashpatrick likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #47 of 744 Old 11-19-2016, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Posts: 2,934
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarty View Post
I created a playlist of all YouTube HDR videos for Chromecast Ultra that I know of

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WAHeUZWMCqPMRT

I will keep it up to date as much as possible.
Thanks. These are what Netflix HDR should look like but don't!
zmarty likes this.
Bill is offline  
post #48 of 744 Old 11-20-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa FL 33629
Posts: 2,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If anyone's successfully gotten the Chromecadt Ultra to stream Atmos audio into their AVRs from the free VUDU Atmos Demos, please let me know.
The VUDU Atmos demos plays as PCM from my ChromCast Ultra, but I have been able to successfully play them from the TiVo VUDU app.

What is odd is that I've been able to get Atmos from the Chromcast Ultra on Vudu before, but this morning when I tried it shows as just DD+ 5.1.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
No longer contributing to Engadget HD
bdraw is online now  
post #49 of 744 Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 1,656
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
The VUDU Atmos demos plays as PCM from my ChromCast Ultra, but I have been able to successfully play them from the TiVo VUDU app.

What is odd is that I've been able to get Atmos from the Chromcast Ultra on Vudu before, but this morning when I tried it shows as just DD+ 5.1.
Reboot the ULTRA - that might get it back.
Ash Sharma is offline  
post #50 of 744 Old 11-20-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
The VUDU Atmos demos plays as PCM from my ChromCast Ultra, but I have been able to successfully play them from the TiVo VUDU app.

What is odd is that I've been able to get Atmos from the Chromcast Ultra on Vudu before, but this morning when I tried it shows as just DD+ 5.1.
Is there any way to configure/control the Ultra? Are there any settings?
fafrd is offline  
post #51 of 744 Old 11-21-2016, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,202
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Is there any way to configure/control the Ultra? Are there any settings?
I have not found any way to configure the Chromecast Ultra.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #52 of 744 Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I have not found any way to configure the Chromecast Ultra.
Thanks. I guess I'll wait another couple weeks in the hope that Google releases an update, but otherwise, this product is not delivering what I expected.
fafrd is offline  
post #53 of 744 Old 11-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jayraysaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If anyone's successfully gotten the Chromecadt Ultra to stream Atmos audio into their AVRs from the free VUDU Atmos Demos, please let me know.

I can get Atmos through my Bluray player but the Chromecast Ultra seems to be sending PCM (or my AVRs Auto function is interpreting the Audio Stream from the Ultra as PCM).

Either way, Atmos is not working and if there is not an easy way to change some settings in the Chromevast Ultra (or my Marantz NR1606 AVR) to have the Chromecadt Ultra stream Atmos at least as well as my Bluray Player, it's going back...


I am able to get Atmos through my Chromecast Ultra. Still waiting for DV to become available. I might take it back since that is the main reason I purchased it.
jayraysaiz is offline  
post #54 of 744 Old 11-21-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraysaiz View Post
I am able to get Atmos through my Chromecast Ultra. Still waiting for DV to become available. I might take it back since that is the main reason I purchased it.
Can you tell me how you are getting Atmos through?

What AVR do you have?

When you play the 4 free Atmos Demos on VUDU, are they coming through your AVR as Atmos?

I can play them as Atmos through my Sony Bluray player but the Chromecast is sending them into my Marantz NR1606 AVR as PCM (with Metadata stripped) so the AVR does not see Atmos and plays the sound in 5.1.

Would appreciate any help/advice you can give as to how to get an Atmos-enabled AVR to recieve the DD+ Atmos stream associated with the 4 VUDU Atmos demos from the Chromecadt Ultra...
fafrd is offline  
post #55 of 744 Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
jayraysaiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 46
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

I have an onkyo Tx NR3030.

I have it hooked up directly to my receiver. I verified atmos with Star Tre on the VUDU app. My receiver indicates Dolby Atmos it says Dolby D + EX 48hz and the Atmos lights up and it displays Atmos on my app so the receiver decodes the Atmos.

When I use my TV app it says Dolby D EX 6.1 48hz

I still get all 11 speakers with a surround but it's not directional based.
Big difference in sound.

The only demo that doesn't say pcm is unfold that is in Dolby D+ 5.1. The others say multichannel pcm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fafrd likes this.

LGOLED65B6P/77G7P
Onkyo Tx NR3030;HDBaseT
Klipsch 7.1.4
R-3800-W II Fronts ; R-5502-W II Center
RS-42 II Surrounds ; CDT-3800-C II Heights, R-112SW Sub
jayraysaiz is offline  
post #56 of 744 Old 11-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post
Anyone seeing a distinctive red push on the CCU? It's there casting anything for me. The built in casting of Vizio P75 does not have it.
Yes, I have a Samsung JS8500 and definitely see a red saturation on all non-HDR content regardless of the source. Photos attached from Plex. If I turn off the UHD Colour option for HDMI 1 then it's OK, but I didn't have this issue on my 2nd Gen Chromecast so I think it's the signal from the device rather than how the TV is handling it, glad to see it's not just a Samsung issue and happening on your Vizio too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD Off.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1783697   Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD On.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1783705  
roakes81 is offline  
post #57 of 744 Old 11-22-2016, 02:16 AM
Senior Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakes81 View Post
Yes, I have a Samsung JS8500 and definitely see a red saturation on all non-HDR content regardless of the source. Photos attached from Plex. If I turn off the UHD Colour option for HDMI 1 then it's OK, but I didn't have this issue on my 2nd Gen Chromecast so I think it's the signal from the device rather than how the TV is handling it, glad to see it's not just a Samsung issue and happening on your Vizio too.
I returned mine because of the issues it had. I did hear that it got an update last night. The biggest feature was to allow 4K casting for 3rd party apps. You will have to let me know if the color issues get corrected. Also curious if the audio issues get sorted out.

LG OLED65C6P
Samsung UBD-K8500
XBOX One S
korsjs is offline  
post #58 of 744 Old 11-22-2016, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JaremyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MI
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I took mine back due to the various issues and gaps. No DV. Spotty Atmos from VUDU movies. 7.1 VUDU movies coming out as 5.1. Red push.

Worst of all, having the thing connected to my preamp in my rack introduced massive buzzing noise into my audio from other sources. Pulling the CCU, the noise went away completely.
JaremyP is offline  
post #59 of 744 Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayraysaiz View Post
I have an onkyo Tx NR3030.

I have it hooked up directly to my receiver. I verified atmos with Star Tre on the VUDU app. My receiver indicates Dolby Atmos it says Dolby D + EX 48hz and the Atmos lights up and it displays Atmos on my app so the receiver decodes the Atmos.

When I use my TV app it says Dolby D EX 6.1 48hz

I still get all 11 speakers with a surround but it's not directional based.
Big difference in sound.

The only demo that doesn't say pcm is unfold that is in Dolby D+ 5.1. The others say multichannel pcm.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you play the 4 demos, are they displayed by your Onkyo as Atmos?

So Star Trek says Dolby D+ Ex 48Hz resulting in Atmos and
Unfold says Dolby D+ 5.1 and results in what?

If Star Trek is encoded in a different format than Unfold, this may mean the demos are not fully representative demos.

But it still doesn't explain why my So y Bluray player passes all 4 of the demo streams in a way that results in Atmos, while the Chromecast passes the same streams in a way that does not...
fafrd is offline  
post #60 of 744 Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
I returned mine because of the issues it had. I did hear that it got an update last night. The biggest feature was to allow 4K casting for 3rd party apps. You will have to let me know if the color issues get corrected. Also curious if the audio issues get sorted out.
How can you check if it recieved the update?

Any way to force it to update?
fafrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off