***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 389Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 762 Old 12-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 196
can someone check if after the new update that netflix will output 5.1. Before I returned mine, I had it connected directly to the tv with tv outputting via optical to my AV receiver. I did not have the option to change the sound to 5.1 in any of the shows or movies i tried.

if that is fixed, i might pick it up again. could someone also check the UFC app. I couldn't get that to work either.

LG OLED65C6P
Samsung UBD-K8500
XBOX One S
korsjs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 762 Old 12-10-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
can someone check if after the new update that netflix will output 5.1. Before I returned mine, I had it connected directly to the tv with tv outputting via optical to my AV receiver. I did not have the option to change the sound to 5.1 in any of the shows or movies i tried.

if that is fixed, i might pick it up again. could someone also check the UFC app. I couldn't get that to work either.
That's probably your TV. Most will not accept more than stereo audio.

Netflix outputs 5.1 for me with my Chromecast connected to my audio processor.
nathan_h likes this.
dwaleke is offline  
post #93 of 762 Old 12-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Newbie
 
Derrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[QUOTE=fafrd;48304017]If anyone's successfully gotten the Chromecadt Ultra to stream Atmos audio into their AVRs from the free VUDU Atmos Demos, please let me know.

I can get Atmos through my Bluray player but the Chromecast Ultra seems to be sending PCM (or my AVRs Auto function is interpreting the Audio Stream from the Ultra as PCM).

Either way, Atmos is not working and if there is not an easy way to change some settings in the Chromevast Ultra (or my Marantz NR1606 AVR) to have the Chromecadt Ultra stream Atmos at least as well as my Bluray Player, it's going



I'm getting the same thing, I have a pioneer vsx 1130, some uhd movies will play atmos, others will not. It's also reading pcm. I've been wracking my brain, don't know who to contact, if it's VUDU,
Google or what, but it's annoying
Derrek is offline  
 
post #94 of 762 Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by roakes81 View Post
Google have advised that firmware 1.22.77272 is now available, might need to reboot your Chromecast to get it.

Will be checking to see if it fixes the red saturation/push issue later tonight when I get home.
I have a DV TV and can check this if someone can explain how I can check my current FW revision and steps to 'reboot' if I need to update.

I recently pulled the CU from my AVR and power supply in case that is the only way to reboot and can do so again if someone can explain how I can check whether I already have 1.22.77272 .
fafrd is offline  
post #95 of 762 Old 12-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
That's probably your TV. Most will not accept more than stereo audio.

Netflix outputs 5.1 for me with my Chromecast connected to my audio processor.
that is a bummer since the apps on the tv can send a 5.1 singal to my AVR. my receiver is not 2.2 so i am stuck with using the tv's hdmi.

i will check some other apps later tonight to see if anything outputs 5.1.

i picked it up again from wal mart to test it out. so really the only thing it is good for is you tube hdr and hopefully the ufc will start to stream their PPVs in 4K instead of limiting the 4K stream to Sony tvs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161210-150515.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1821665  

LG OLED65C6P
Samsung UBD-K8500
XBOX One S
korsjs is offline  
post #96 of 762 Old 12-11-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I have a DV TV and can check this if someone can explain how I can check my current FW revision and steps to 'reboot' if I need to update.

I recently pulled the CU from my AVR and power supply in case that is the only way to reboot and can do so again if someone can explain how I can check whether I already have 1.22.77272 .
I finally found out how to check my CU FW revision. I have 1.22.77272

The VUDU Atmos demos say Multi In MPlay on my AVR while through my Sony Bluray player, the same demo loops say DDAtmos on the same AVR...
fafrd is offline  
post #97 of 762 Old 12-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Member
 
ronin_cse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So any impressions of 4k Google Play movies yet? Haven't had a chance to watch anything from there yet and just curious.
ronin_cse is offline  
post #98 of 762 Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_cse View Post
So any impressions of 4k Google Play movies yet? Haven't had a chance to watch anything from there yet and just curious.
No HDR...the quality is good. It's really hard to discern 4K from 1080p on the newer 4K sets (with great upscalers) if the movie doesn't use HDR.
Bill likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #99 of 762 Old 12-12-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 7,673
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Did search through the thread.

Are there any ways to cast 1080p MKV with lossless bitstream audio to the Ultra?

For example, I understand that Plex transcodes the audio to a lossy format.

***
My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
nathan_h is offline  
post #100 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 02:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
When using the Google Photos app to cast photos does it display them in full 4K resolution? I see some jagginess, so it doesn't look like it but difficult to tell for sure..

Same with the Screensavers. They are running in very low resolution it seems.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #101 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Did search through the thread.



Are there any ways to cast 1080p MKV with lossless bitstream audio to the Ultra?



For example, I understand that Plex transcodes the audio to a lossy format.


The Chromecast doesn't support hd audio.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #102 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
When using the Google Photos app to cast photos does it display them in full 4K resolution? I see some jagginess, so it doesn't look like it but difficult to tell for sure..

Same with the Screensavers. They are running in very low resolution it seems.


They should display at the resolution they were shot with.
The screensaver always looks very high resolution to me.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #103 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
They should display at the resolution they were shot with.
The screensaver always looks very high resolution to me.
When casting from what device? I cast from the Google app on on iPhone.

I'll measure the screensaver resolution later today... My immediate reaction to seeing the screensaver was a definite "that looks wrong"...

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #104 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Google photos app. I have iPhone, ipad and a nexus phone. Makes no difference.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #105 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
korsjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 196
i was complaining a couple days ago about the ultra not passing 5.1 while hooked up to the tv outputting through optical to the AVR. My main concern was netflix but when I tried plex today it passed 5.1 through fine. So it must be netflix not having surround enabled. i will have to play around with some other apps this weekend.

LG OLED65C6P
Samsung UBD-K8500
XBOX One S
korsjs is offline  
post #106 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
[quote=Derrek;48860881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If anyone's successfully gotten the Chromecadt Ultra to stream Atmos audio into their AVRs from the free VUDU Atmos Demos, please let me know.

I can get Atmos through my Bluray player but the Chromecast Ultra seems to be sending PCM (or my AVRs Auto function is interpreting the Audio Stream from the Ultra as PCM).

Either way, Atmos is not working and if there is not an easy way to change some settings in the Chromevast Ultra (or my Marantz NR1606 AVR) to have the Chromecadt Ultra stream Atmos at least as well as my Bluray Player, it's going



I'm getting the same thing, I have a pioneer vsx 1130, some uhd movies will play atmos, others will not. It's also reading pcm. I've been wracking my brain, don't know who to contact, if it's VUDU,
Google or what, but it's annoying
I picked up Lucy UHD and can confirm both that the UHD disk gives you access to the Dolby Vision UHD stream with Atmos on VUDU and that the Chromecast Ultra properly resolves Atmos Audio through my Marantz AVR.

It seems as though VUDU only supports Atmos streams bundled with UHD video, so HD streams come with DD+ at best...

So at the moment my choices are:

Dolby Vision HDR with DD 5.1 sound through my LG OLED.

HDR10 HDR with Dolby Atmos sound through the Chromecast Ultra

SDR HD with DD+ Sound through my Sony Bluray player...

Life could be worse but if Google does not release a FW update to support Dolby Vision on the Chromecast Ultra soon, I'm probably going to return it (window closes at the end of the month...).
fafrd is offline  
post #107 of 762 Old 12-13-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by korsjs View Post
i was complaining a couple days ago about the ultra not passing 5.1 while hooked up to the tv outputting through optical to the AVR. My main concern was netflix but when I tried plex today it passed 5.1 through fine. So it must be netflix not having surround enabled. i will have to play around with some other apps this weekend.
Your TV probably accepts stereo pcm or up to 5.1 Dolby digital.

I believe Netflix multichannel audio is all Dolby digital plus. That would explain why you only have stereo option from Netflix.
korsjs likes this.
dwaleke is offline  
post #108 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 01:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Google photos app. I have iPhone, ipad and a nexus phone. Makes no difference.
Had a closer look. Screensavers or casted photos are definitely not displayed at 4K. They are definitely lower resolution.

This is sitting 1 meter from a 65" C6 where it's very clear to see differences in resolution. Casting 30 Mpixel photos from Google Photos for iOS. Screensavers are the default Google ones, Art, Nature, etc..

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #109 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Had a closer look. Screensavers or casted photos are definitely not displayed at 4K. They are definitely lower resolution.

This is sitting 1 meter from a 65" C6 where it's very clear to see differences in resolution. Casting 30 Mpixel photos from Google Photos for iOS. Screensavers are the default Google ones, Art, Nature, etc..


What is the resolution of the photos you took? Do you have Google photos set to unlimited storage so they are getting resized?
Just because the Chromecast is 4k doesn't mean the photos you took at a lower resolution will be 4k.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
archer75 is offline  
post #110 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 05:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
What is the resolution of the photos you took? Do you have Google photos set to unlimited storage so they are getting resized?
Just because the Chromecast is 4k doesn't mean the photos you took at a lower resolution will be 4k.
Like I said, they are 30 megapixel+. JPGs taken with a Sony RX1 mark2.

The photos are stored locally on the iPhone, so I'm assuming Google Photos is accessing them that way? I don't use the Google cloud storage.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #111 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
Like I said, they are 30 megapixel+. JPGs taken with a Sony RX1 mark2.

The photos are stored locally on the iPhone, so I'm assuming Google Photos is accessing them that way? I don't use the Google cloud storage.


A jpg would be lossy so maybe that's it? Can you access the info on the actual photo on your phone to see its resolution? I don't care about the megapixel it was shot in originally on the camera itself but rather the photos resolution where it ends up.
There's an info button for each photo in Google photos that will tell you. How are you getting the photos to your phone? Direct wifi transfer from the camera? My wife just got a sony a7 II. I'll have to ask her if photos being transferred via wifi in the app is resulting in them being resized.
It has been required that photos to be cast had to be backed up to the cloud. That's how the Chromecast typically works. By pulling directly from the Internet.
Casting directly from local phone storage is a somewhat new feature for Google photos so I'm wondering if maybe it's tweaking the resolution when casting that way? I really only cast from the cloud.
I have an LG B6 65" and everything looks great. Especially the screensaver photos.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver

Last edited by archer75; 12-14-2016 at 06:08 AM.
archer75 is offline  
post #112 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Masterbrew2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
A jpg would be lossy so maybe that's it? Can you access the info on the actual photo on your phone to see its resolution? I don't care about the megapixel it was shot in originally on the camera itself but rather the photos resolution where it ends up.
There's an info button for each photo in Google photos that will tell you. How are you getting the photos to your phone? Direct wifi transfer from the camera? My wife just got a sony a7 II. I'll have to ask her if photos being transferred via wifi in the app is resulting in them being resized.
It has been required that photos to be cast had to be backed up to the cloud. That's how the Chromecast typically works. By pulling directly from the Internet.
Casting directly from local phone storage is a somewhat new feature for Google photos so I'm wondering if maybe it's tweaking the resolution when casting that way? I really only cast from the cloud.
I have an LG B6 65" and everything looks great. Especially the screensaver photos.
The info button says the resolution is 7952x4473 and 35.6 MP (it's a cropped photo), and 9.6 megabyte so it's not compressed very much. They're transfered by direct wifi.

Maybe it's the local storage casting that does it, I'll try and put some photos in the cloud to see how that works.

When you say screensaver, do you mean your own personal photos going in the screensaver, or Google's screensavers?

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
Masterbrew2 is offline  
post #113 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
archer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 107
***Official*** Google Chromecast ULTRA owner's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
The info button says the resolution is 7952x4473 and 35.6 MP (it's a cropped photo), and 9.6 megabyte so it's not compressed very much. They're transfered by direct wifi.

Maybe it's the local storage casting that does it, I'll try and put some photos in the cloud to see how that works.

When you say screensaver, do you mean your own personal photos going in the screensaver, or Google's screensavers?


By Screensaver I mean googles default photos the Chromecast pulls down on its own.

Maybe there's a difference in aspect ratio between the photo and tv? If so it would be resized in order to display correctly. Just a thought.

Have you tried any photos taken by your phone? Just for a comparison.

Can you try putting the photos on a USB stick and plugging directly to the tv? That way you can bypass the transfer process to your phone and casting to the tv and possibly rule that out.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver

Last edited by archer75; 12-14-2016 at 06:51 AM.
archer75 is offline  
post #114 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarty View Post
In my opinion HDR in gaming has great potential, probably even more so than in real life videos.

I posted a comparison of SDR vs HDR for the Last of Us game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSszwQiqlw
This video is super misleading. I can watch it watch in both SDR and HDR and the video looks the same. Both sides are edited to look different and shouldn't be used to gauge the difference between sdr and hdr.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #115 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
This video is super misleading. I can watch it watch in both SDR and HDR and the video looks the same. Both sides are edited to look different and shouldn't be used to gauge the difference between sdr and hdr.
This is not true. The HDR side was captured in HDR from a PS4 Pro.

YouTube converts the entire video from HDR to SDR for screens that do not support HDR. If you look at the SDR version of the stream you are NOT looking at the video I mastered. This is outside my control. The SDR version that YouTube generates is not correct as you can read in the video description.

Please watch the video in HDR using proper hardware that supports YouTube HDR. That is the stream that I actually control. The same comment applies for all videos on the channel.

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel

Last edited by zmarty; 12-14-2016 at 01:46 PM.
zmarty is offline  
post #116 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
And by the way, I strongly object to YouTube creating the HDR to SDR conversion automatically. If avsforum users complain about DNR being applied during Blu-Ray mastering to remove grain wait until they hear about what YouTube is doing with automatic SDR versions.

I think having them convert HDR to SDR without allowing for a secondary SDR-only stream to be uploaded is blasphemy and it tramples all over the choices made by filmmakers and colorists.

In fact you can even see they flat out refuse to fix this: https://github.com/YouTubeHDR/hdr_metadata/issues/4

The SDR version that YouTube generates for that video tries to maintain the contrast between the SDR side and the HDR side. That is why the left and right sides look different in both the SDR and HDR versions. But if you look at the SDR version you are definitely not looking at the correct comparison.

But bottom line is, if you look at the actual HDR stream the SDR vs HDR comparison is in fact valid.
Masterbrew2 likes this.

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel

Last edited by zmarty; 12-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
zmarty is offline  
post #117 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shortyg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarty View Post
This is not true. The HDR side was captured in HDR from a PS4 Pro.

YouTube converts the entire video from HDR to SDR for screens that do not support HDR. If you look at the SDR version of the stream you are NOT looking at the video I mastered. This is outside my control. The SDR version that YouTube generates is not correct as you can read in the video description.

Please watch the video in HDR using proper hardware that supports YouTube HDR. That is the stream that I actually control. The same comment applies for all videos on the channel.
What I am saying is that playing that game in SDR looks nothing like what it does in your video. It looks much more like the HDR side with subtle differences.
I have an HDR tv I can watch your video on. It is misleading because the game in SDR looks nothing like that.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #118 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
What I am saying is that playing that game in SDR looks nothing like what it does in your video. It looks much more like the HDR side with subtle differences.
I have an HDR tv I can watch your video on. It is misleading because the game in SDR looks nothing like that.
I see what you are saying. Let me explain. When a TV is fed SDR content it often chooses to display it above the customary 80-100 nits. They can do this because there is no official standard for number of nits when dealing with SDR content.

So for instance if I play Last of Us on my OLED in SDR it often goes above 100 nits. But again this depends entirely on the decisions made by the manufacturer. This is one of the reasons why SDR content can look much brighter than its HDR version.

Now when it comes to HDR10 content the signal encodes exactly at how many nits each part of the image should be displayed.

When I create these comparisons I keep the SDR signal as is. It comes in at around 100 nits. But then I add the HDR version next to it (also untouched) which goes up to 1000 nits or more.

So it is quite possible the SDR side will look dimmer than directly playing the game in SDR because when it is displayed side by side with HDR content the TV is in HDR mode and it respects the nits. So it does not try to make the SDR side brighter than normal.

Do you understand what I am getting at? In a way we are both correct and wrong at the same time. It is true that playing the game in SDR may look brighter than the HDR side in the comparison but that's a choice of the manufacturer due to lack of clear standards. It is also true that the SDR vs HDR comparison is correct because it specifies nits precisely. I don't think me artificially increasing the nits on the SDR side would be correct. In fact I try not to touch either signals since it's a comparison, not color grading.

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel

Last edited by zmarty; 12-14-2016 at 02:41 PM.
zmarty is offline  
post #119 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Also note the comparison is not just about raw maximum brightness, but also contrast and black level.

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel
zmarty is offline  
post #120 of 762 Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
One more thing that I remembered that might be obvious to you: playing in SDR goes above 100 nits only on newer TVs (mostly because the panels can do HDR so they can go brighter). Older traditional panels would be restricted to the brightness you see on the SDR side.

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel
zmarty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off