*Official* 2016+ Vizio Streaming Thread (SD, HD, UHD4K, mkv's mp4's) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 56 Old 11-25-2016, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 143
*Official* 2016+ Vizio Streaming Thread (SD, HD, UHD4K, mkv's mp4's)

I have a new 2016 M series 80" and the first thing I wanted to try to do was stream 720p - 4k mkv's, mp4's, local files that may reside on your pc, or somewhere else. Most tv's cannot do this without a program like ps3 media server or plex. I've been using plex for the past few weeks on 1080p files and have a few friends that have been using successfully with 4K files. Below is how to cast/steam 4k files from a pc.

1) First download the plex app for IOS. Free.

2) install the plex server on your pc. Free.

3) if playing 720-1080p it will just work, no issues.

4) To do 4k, it will only work locally (ie server on same network) and the server is updated to the newer version. You should see in the menu when a video will play in 4k.

More tips for settings than need to be adjusted:

That being said with the latest update I had some odd items happening where I couldn?t stream. I had to remove all the connected devices and reconnect them from the plex / settings / devices. And then change these settings. You ugys can report back with any other tips. This is for Windows and iPhone settings.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM
RRF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How to Stream Your Locally Stored Content (SD, HD, UHD4K) From Kodi to Vizio P-Series

How to Stream Your Locally Stored Content (SD, HD, UHD4K) From Kodi to Vizio P-Series (Smartcast)

Casting any HEVC Videos from a local drive is no longer working since the latest firmware update !! (Jan.31 2017)

Background
- Recently replaced my 15 year old Sharp Aquos 1080p panel with a Vizio P-Series, now that DolbyVision, HDR10, FALD and expanded colour gamut are supported.
- The Vizio P-Series also has a builtin ChromeCast_TM, which supports 4K.
- Also figured I would no longer require the 2K MyGica Android box, which ran Kodi and played movies stored on my Kodi Ubuntu media server downstairs.
- However, like many others I quickly found out that Vizio SmartCast (like all GoogleCast devices) did not support DTS passthrough over TOSLINK or SPDIF, and only supports ARC....which my receiver did not support.
- Also found out that the Vizio Smartcast app had no support for playing (Casting) locally stored content, and VLC and ES File Explorer Casting did not work either.
- I did not want to replace my AVR or purchase a 4K Android box, as this seemed redundant.

Solutions

- Casting - I solved the Casting issue by installing 'Yatse" from the Google Play Store on the Vizio Android remote. (or any Android phone) Yatse is a free Kodi front-end remote app with casting support and all kinds of other goodies.
Initiate casting from Yatse, then select your movie. See http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/308342b for all the supported video format specs
Important!: If you initiate Casting from Yatse, you must terminate Casting from Yatse before turning off TV or switching inputs...otherwise it will turn on the TV or switch back to Cast input after a few minutes.

- DTS - To solve the DTS audio issue, you will have to convert the audio tracks to AC3 or AAC.
Popcorn MKV Audio Converter works well for converting just the audio tracks and will replace the DTS track or add an additional AC3/AAC track so both are supported. (note: I am not sure about DTS-MA 7:1 tracks yet)
You will need to set the AC3 or AAC audio track as the default/primary track, as there will be no option to switch tracks when casting. If you need to convert the video and the audio, "Handbrake" application works well, and is easy to learn.

- 4K Videos - Once I had Casting from Kodi working I noticed none of my 4K videos would play. These were all using H.264 video encoding, just like most of my 2K (1080p) videos.
The solution here was to use Handbrake and convert the video to H.265 format. Seems the Vizio ChromeCast Ultra requires H.265 encoding to play 4k content.
- I tested MKV and MP4 containers with X.265 encoding, along with AC3 and AAC audio encoding and they worked.

So, now I do not have to purchase a 4K Android box, or a new AVR, and I have perfect 4K movies playing on the Vizio P-Series. You will need a Kodi server installed on your network, but Kodi is easy to setup and has great support from the Kodi forum if required.

Now I know that "Plex" includes on-the-fly transcoding that may be another solution, but I have been using Kodi for a long time and did not want to go that route.

Next up is to get Off-Air TV that uses HDHomerun and TVheadend working on Vizio
Kodi supports HDHomerun and TVheadend very well, with PVR and Guide support, allowing us to watch live TV anywhere.

Update: Nov. 26th 2016: VizioCast had a couple of updates this week, and I successfully cast Live TV from Kodi (HDHomerun via TVHeadend and Kodi) to the Vizio display without requiring Yatse.

Update: Nov. 29-2016: It took me a while to get the audio solution working. The display seemed to keep defaulting to the DTS track until I set the AC3 5.1 stream as the 1st audio track and marked it as the default track and set the DTS track as Not default. Now I can play the DTS-MA 7.1 track in the downstairs theatre, and it will play the AC3 5.1 when streamed to the Vizio display.
AudioConverter and MKVToolnix were used to make the changes.

Update Dec. 4 2016: Successfully tested with Kodi17 beta6, and Kodi18 Alpha with Yatse 7.1.0

Update Dec. 21 2016: 4K Streaming no longer working. No updates were performed during this time, other than Yatse 7.1.1.
Tried updating and a fresh OS and Kodi install, but same result, 2K works 4K does not. Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (kernel is still 4.4.0-31-generic), but Kodi is now 17 beta7 and Yatse is now 7.1.1.

Update Jan. 2 2017: 4K Streaming Intermittent Issue.

Twice now, I have had to factory-reset my Vizio P50-C1 to get 4K streams working again.
Issued occurred with a wired 1000Base-T network, streaming from my local HTPC server.
I am beginning to suspect a memory leak or something similar.

2K streams would work but 4K would not.
Actual bitrate does not seem to be a factor.

Power Cycling the display ( including holding in the power button for a few seconds while unplugged) did not help .

Only a Factory Reset solved the issue.
https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...VIZIO-Smart-TV

Update Jan.31 2017: Since the last firmware update, casting 4K local videos will no longer play. Factory reset trick no longer works. Best not to buy from Vizio if you have 4K Go Pro videos that you want to cast to the display since it appears they are not supporting casting of local 4K sources.
movd likes this.

Last edited by RRF; 02-10-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Intermiitant 4K Streaming Issue
post #3 of 56 Old 11-28-2016, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Subbed! Thanks, i will review and post any questions i have later

post #4 of 56 Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
RRF

Just noticed in the IOS/Plex solution, that the settings are converting the 4K source to a 720p stream to the Vizio.
You are not actually displaying 4K on the Vizio.

Vizio P-Series have built-in ChromeCast_TM which supports 4K streams.

Last edited by RRF; 01-31-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #5 of 56 Old 12-06-2016, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Plex WILL stream 4k, just not on an outside network. It has the feature where you can be at a friends house, open plex, and it will connect to your home computer and stream your content on a friends Tv, but it's max is 720. See my settings above on how to do 4k streams on your local network... Vizio P/M has built-in ChromeCast, but not ULTRA, that's only on the new stand alone chromecast.

Edit: Also, the Ultra is only needed if you want to stream Youtube 4k with HDR, keyword HDR. You can't stream HDR youtube with the built in chromecast, because vizio didn't have the updated vp9 codec when these tv's were produced. So, you want to do youtuve HDR, you can't with the built in chromecast, but you CAN with the Add on chromecast ULTRA.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller

Last edited by Jasonn B; 12-06-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #6 of 56 Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 PM
RRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post
Plex WILL stream 4k, just not on an outside network. It has the feature where you can be at a friends house, open plex, and it will connect to your home computer and stream your content on a friends Tv, but it's max is 720. See my settings above on how to do 4k streams on your local network... Vizio P/M has built-in ChromeCast, but not ULTRA, that's only on the new stand alone chromecast.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7151529

I am phoning Vizio to confirm, but according to Google it IS Chromecast Ultra.

According to Vizio 2nd Level Support, their SmartCast in the new P-series display is 4K. Otherwise it would have to be downscaling YouTube and other 4K streams, then upscaling for display.
And I can stream YouTube 4k HDR videos over a 25Mbps wired ethernet connection just fine. The YouTube 4K HDR10 videos are recorded in 4K HDR, but the display does not indicate HDR..I have contacted Vizio about this. All the YouTube 4K 60fps HDR videos only play at 30fps ...according to the display properties. I asked Vizio about this also.

There is very little detailed information from Vizio about actual streaming specs.

I am definitely streaming UHD-1 4k (3820x2160@30 and 24fps) directly from my server to the display, without any transcoding.

Seems like every 60fps 4K test video I download is being detected by Mediainfo as 30fps, so that is not helping the cause.

Last edited by RRF; 12-06-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 56 Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
RRF

OK..now I get it. While Vizio supports VP9, VP9-Profile 2 or Profile 3 is required for YouTube's 4K HDR streams.
I will ask Vizio about it when they call me tomorrow.

Vizio really needs to improve it's documentation, especially the distinctions between what is supported on the HDMI interface versus the Casting.

I did manage to get a 4K 60fps HEVC file stream tested...and it worked fine, but at only 18Mbps it was not much of a challenge.
Saw the same file below on YouTube but it was actually 30fps...just like all the other 4K files listed as 60fps in the title on YouTube.
You cannot go by whatever is in the filename on YouTube.

http://4ksamples.com/ses-astra-uhd-test-1-2160p-uhdtv/

The Elysium demo was impressive.
http://4ksamples.com/elysium-2013-21...ample-footage/
post #8 of 56 Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool info. So now we need ti figure out why it only goes to 30 frames....

Also, did you mess with plex yet?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #9 of 56 Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
RRF

Quote:
Cool info. So now we need ti figure out why it only goes to 30 frames....

Also, did you mess with plex yet?
No Plex yet, I did try it a few years ago ... I ran into some issues with Kodi/Yatse after some nightly updates a couple of days ago...SMB authentication not passing to sub-directory, 4K casting stopped working, 2K OK etc.
So wiped system drive and started over...never did like all the junk NVidia's Ubuntu driver added to my system anyways.

Also, setup some 1RU test servers using DD disk imaging and Tested Yatse 7.1.0 with Kodi18 Beta before going back to Kodi 17b6 on production server. 4K casting loading as fast as 2K now.
Re-tried H.264 4K streaming on fresh system, still did not work.
Trying VAAPI drivers now instead of VDPAU, for testing 4K downscaling to 2K in theatre room.
post #10 of 56 Old 12-07-2016, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, a little over my head I'd love if you tried plex and reported back. It works great for me. Small download, and then app for your phone.

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #11 of 56 Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM
RRF

Quote:
Wow, a little over my head I'd love if you tried plex and reported back. It works great for me. Small download, and then app for your phone.
I took another look at Plex but did not try it for these reasons;
1 - Plex is actually a fork of Kodi (XBMC)
2 - Kodi is opensource
3 - Kodi can connect to Plex and use it's features, Plex cannot connect to Kodi.
4 - Plex will cost me $$ for each client and to maintain the same features Kodi has for free.
5 - Many many more addons and online content options with Kodi
6 - Kodi uses MS-SQL database, which I already have running
7 - Kodi includes extensive PVR support, including TVHeadend which I use for ATSC.
8 - Kodi has incredible Skin options and customization.

Last edited by RRF; 01-30-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #12 of 56 Old 01-02-2017, 09:29 AM
RRF

Twice now, I have had to factory-reset my Vizio P50-C1 to get 4K streams working again.
Issued occurred with a wired 1000Base-T network, streaming from my local HTPC server.

I am beginning to suspect a memory leak or something similar.

2K streams would work but 4K would not.
Actual bitrate does not seem to be a factor.

Power Cycling the display ( including holding in the power button for a few seconds while unplugged) did not help .

Only a Factory Reset solved the issue.
post #13 of 56 Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just bumping this if anyone else has any tips or tricks... Anyone else using plex?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #14 of 56 Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Hey guys came from the 2016 p series thread. The casting element inside the p series is not a chromecast ultra . The casting in the vizio cannot do 4K hdr at 60 fps . Those are facts . As far as playing 4K video or casting Plex has an entire page dedicated to the proper formats needed to do so .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 56 Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 AM
RRF

Quote:
Just bumping this if anyone else has any tips or tricks... Anyone else using plex?
Today I tried something new...casting a 2K video from my PC's Chrome browser.

Simple to do, just enter the video file path in the address bar like this... file:///F:/yyyy/xxxxx.mkv
The movie starts playing in the browser, then hit the cast button at the top of the browser and select your display.
The Vizio display turned on and switched to the Cast input, but would not play the movie.
So I tried casting it to my other display which has a standard Chromecast attached, and it played just fine.

So, while the Vizio website may claim it has ChromecastTM built in, it is either a messed up implementation or has restrictions that they will not publish.

Last edited by RRF; 02-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #16 of 56 Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbuchanan813 View Post
As far as playing 4K video or casting Plex has an entire page dedicated to the proper formats needed to do so .
You have a link to that entire page you can post?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #17 of 56 Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 AM
RRF

Since the last firmware update I am no longer able to cast any 4K videos from my local server.
The factory reset trick no longer works.

So if you have a collection of 4K GoPro or 4K camera videos, do not buy a Vizio.

Last edited by RRF; 01-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #18 of 56 Old 02-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It appears its not just 4k content they are inhibiting, but all local HEVC content. I can directstream x264 videos, but my HEVC videos, most 1080p, will not work.

Can anyone confirm that this is intentional, or a mistake?

Time to buy the Chromecast Ultra I guess...
post #19 of 56 Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF View Post
Since the last firmware update I am no longer able to cast any 4K videos from my local server.
The factory reset trick no longer works.

So if you have a collection of 4K GoPro or 4K camera videos, do not buy a Vizio.
Wait, which firmware are you talking about? On the TV? And what version?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #20 of 56 Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 AM
RRF

Current Firmware = 3.0.12.2 (a new version is apparently out today)
Current Cast version = 1.21.75378

Also just noticed there is a separate Cast Firmware.
Wish I had noticed that before today, I could have been tracking those versions.

Casting no longer works for any HEVC files for me either.

I had been converting my collection to HEVC to save HD space and now they are useless without purchasing an external player.
One of the primary reasons I purchased the Vizio was that I would not have to purchase an external media player for 4K and H.265 support.
And now Vizio has removed that support.

Seems to me Vizio now owes me $200.
post #21 of 56 Old 02-09-2017, 08:51 AM
RRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth586 View Post
It appears its not just 4k content they are inhibiting, but all local HEVC content. I can directstream x264 videos, but my HEVC videos, most 1080p, will not work.

Can anyone confirm that this is intentional, or a mistake?

Time to buy the Chromecast Ultra I guess...

Same problems here...no more HEVC support.

If you buy the Chromecast Ultra you will still have the no DTS passthrough issue, but at least you get the VP9 Profile2 support for HDR.
post #22 of 56 Old 02-20-2017, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is this still the issue? It worked before, right>?

Harmony 890 Remote
X10 IR543 controller

post #23 of 56 Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So sounds like basically cant do anything HEVC streaming to the TV via Smartcast.
So basically pointless for me to keep trying to mess with the Chromecast.xml that folks on Plex forums keep saying to adjust.

I even tried to convert a sample of it to H264 at 4K (High profile and level 5.2 to match the specs) and still cant get the 4K to stream through Plex. Just goes to a black screen and time on the movie just keeps moving up and back 2secs.

Dixit
post #24 of 56 Old 03-03-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is really disappointing! Do you all suspect that this is permanent, or do you think they'll fix it so that 4K works again?
post #25 of 56 Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Has anyone mentioned this HEVC direct play problem to @Matt McRae ? Seems like bull**** that an update from Vizio has literally disabled a feature on the TV that I was using and was a huge incentive for me when purchasing. An "update" that breaks or takes away features is not right.
post #26 of 56 Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Liked: 11
He did respond to my inquiry on twitter, I pointed him to this thread....

https://twitter.com/seth586/status/829581844102447104
Daemon11 likes this.
post #27 of 56 Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hear anything back?
post #28 of 56 Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Liked: 0
I'm having the same issue as well. My Chromecast Ultra casts these HEVC 4k files just fine, but I don't get Dolby Atmos or DTS HD through it. I don't want to have to buy a Sheild just to get proper sound so hopefully Vizio can fix this soon.
post #29 of 56 Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4758 Post(s)
Liked: 4299
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic0n View Post
I'm having the same issue as well. My Chromecast Ultra casts these HEVC 4k files just fine, but I don't get Dolby Atmos or DTS HD through it. I don't want to have to buy a Sheild just to get proper sound so hopefully Vizio can fix this soon.

You won't get lossless regardless, Vizio TVs don't passthru those codecs. You'll need a different device if you want lossless (like the shield).

post #30 of 56 Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You won't get lossless regardless, Vizio TVs don't passthru those codecs. You'll need a different device if you want lossless (like the shield).

Oh ok. In the other thread someone mentioned they were passing Atmos via ARC just fine, that's what I was hoping for. I guess I will look at the Shield since my Xbox One S is useless in this department as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page