Network bridge options needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By drunkpenguin

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Network bridge options needed

Presently, my primary TV and all streaming devices (XBOX, DirecTV, Chromecast, blu ray player) are in the basement of my home and are quite a ways away from my cable modem and router on the main living floor and opposite side of the house. They are connected to a bridge that's probably 5 years old. I have no problem with my speed and connection when I'm on the main level, but as soon as I move to the basement my speed decreases considerably, especially when I'm online with my XBOX One.

I've tried various wifi extenders, but none seem to do the job. Wiring 100 feet of ethernet cable through my basement, up the stairs, and through the rest of my house, what suggestions does anyone have? Are there any top of the line network bridges I should consider?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 12
if you are fairly tech savy I would suggest buying 2 Cisco Access points and using them to create a bridge. You can pick up an 1142n which can do 2.4 and 5ghz for $15 to $20 each on ebay. If you want AC you'll need to go a little higher end and buy something like a 3700 series or a 3600 series (3600 requires an extra ac module to do wireless AC)

My co worker had 2 1142N from the front of his house to the back over the 5ghz band and was able to push 50Mbps over it. They are very stable and don't really ever need to be rebooted. Just make sure you buy the ones that say AP and not LAP in the model #. If you buy the LAP you will have to download and flash the firmware for the AP as the LAP requires a Wireless Lan Controller.

If you decide to go this way and need any help just PM me.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Most wifi extenders are garbage.

If you want a good solution, go buy a Netgear R7000 router and install DD-WRT on it. There are some great guides for setting up a repeater bridge. But you need to keep in mind, the act of taking a signal and repeating it will cut your throughput in half.

With a good router and bridge, you should have any problems with throughput unless you have a Fiber connection.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyxbowler View Post
if you are fairly tech savy I would suggest buying 2 Cisco Access points and using them to create a bridge. You can pick up an 1142n which can do 2.4 and 5ghz for $15 to $20 each on ebay. If you want AC you'll need to go a little higher end and buy something like a 3700 series or a 3600 series (3600 requires an extra ac module to do wireless AC)

My co worker had 2 1142N from the front of his house to the back over the 5ghz band and was able to push 50Mbps over it. They are very stable and don't really ever need to be rebooted. Just make sure you buy the ones that say AP and not LAP in the model #. If you buy the LAP you will have to download and flash the firmware for the AP as the LAP requires a Wireless Lan Controller.

If you decide to go this way and need any help just PM me.
Thanks! I'm having trouble finding the ones you mention. Do you possibly have any links?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityCat View Post
Most wifi extenders are garbage.

If you want a good solution, go buy a Netgear R7000 router and install DD-WRT on it. There are some great guides for setting up a repeater bridge. But you need to keep in mind, the act of taking a signal and repeating it will cut your throughput in half.

With a good router and bridge, you should have any problems with throughput unless you have a Fiber connection.
So, with this, do I just set it up next to my devices that I want coverage for in my basement and bridge it to my existing router? Would something like this work too? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I am using this TP link router as an access point. https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Wirele.../dp/B010UR8AM2

TP Link's instruction on how to use its router as an access point is here: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1199.html

By the way, I am extremely satisfied with the coverage, bandwidth and reliability of this device. Have never dropped on me since when I bought it about 3 or so months ago.

Hope this helps.

PS. Even as you are using it as an access point, you should still be able to use it's USB ports for external drives etc.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 219
PPS. I may have misinterpreted your question. Upon reading a second time, I believe you're looking for a newer device that you can use wireless-ly across the house without a significant signal degradation that you're facing now. Unfortunately, I don't believe that WiFi has improved any significant way in terms of throw distance over the years. You get however far a 2.4 GHz travels
Have you tried powerline adapter solutions? Depending on your situation, you may or may not get a better wireless connectivity compared to WiFi. But yes, definitely the best connectivity will be wired LAN. But it looks like that would be a long length of the LAN cable. And of course signal degrades by the length. Instead, have you given a thought about punching a hole to connect it through outside the house? Depending on your situation, that could be actually shorter length of wire.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbergs View Post
So, with this, do I just set it up next to my devices that I want coverage for in my basement and bridge it to my existing router? Would something like this work too? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It certainly could, so long as you are using WPA2 or something similar as your security type. Another important factor to consider is the speed of your main router.

If the repeater can't hear your main router very well, then the speed/reliability of the repeater will degrade. I've personally had the best experience with an R7000 running dd-wrt due to the amount of support/customization there is. DD-WRT can repeat off of a mesh or a public hotspot, overclock the cpu, increase the output power of the antennae etc

There is a sweet spot where the repeater is far enough away to not cause signal interference, but far enough away so that the repeater can hit your other devices. wifi is not an exact science
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Is running a wire impossible? You'll be much better off in the long run. Especially for gaming, wireless adds latency.
kevin g. likes this.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Instead, have you given a thought about punching a hole to connect it through outside the house? Depending on your situation, that could be actually shorter length of wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
Is running a wire impossible? You'll be much better off in the long run. Especially for gaming, wireless adds latency.
Agreed on both points, wired is the way to go. My house was built in 91, (we purchased in '08) without any networking whatsoever, and I have spent the last 9 years adding, upgrading to give different points through the house wired access...well worth the effort. It's not difficult, and with low voltage retrofit rings, and a few keystones...you can achieve a clean install.

You can still get the additional router, and use it as a simple wired switch/AP//extender.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 01-27-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page