Question about MoCA setup into apartment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question about MoCA setup into apartment

I'm trying to figure out how to wire my apartment with a MoCA network since I'm in the middle of a dense city with a lot of other Wifi networks that limit the speed. I have Comcast cable internet with a max download speed of around 70MB when it's wired, but my wifi download is usually only between 1-3 MB/sec. I have some questions I need help with.

Here is the layout of my apartment:

Currently the "main" Point of Entry of the cable into the apartment is the line going into the living room. This is where the cable modem and router currently are. The two bedroom jacks are split off at the apartment complex source, and I do not have access to them.

How would I set up my adapters? Would it be something like this?

My cable modem is a non-MoCA Arris model that is connected to a wired router which is connected to a wireless access point. Do I put the MoCA adapter between the cable modem and the Point of Entry connection in the living room?

One last question - where do I put the POE filter to be sure I have some security? Would there need to be only one? Or would each of the bedroom coaxial jacks also need a POE filter as well? Is MoCA a good option for me if I don't have access to the lines that feed my two bedrooms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The MOCA adapter doesn't go inline - it hangs off a splitter, so it can be placed anywhere on the cable. So you'd need to add a splitter in your living room. However, I wouldn't recommend MOCA if you don't have access to all the connections. The splitters that you don't have access to may not be compatible and you don't know if anyone else is connected to it.

It wouldn't work with the way you have it laid out in your second image. You'd be blocking MOCA outbound so it wouldn't get to your bedrooms. It would need to be between splitter 1 and the cable box for complex.

Are you on 2.4GHz? Upgrade or reconfigure your wireless.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wireless isn't a great option, because I'm in the middle of at least 25 other wireless networks and if I get terrible coverage with 2.4Ghz I don't know if 5Ghz would reach back all the way into my apartment.

So am I correct in assuming this is the right way to set up a MoCA Adapter?

This is a Tivo Image but it's the closest thing I could find. I have a splitter in my front room now to separate TV and cable modem, but I don't watch the TV so I doubt it would be missed. I was looking to purchase these MoCA Adapters , would one of those in my front room allow me to pass through the coaxial cable to the TV?

I tracked the coaxial outside the apartment to the junction box, but the box is behind a fence on private property and likely locked. Do you think if I contacted Comcast they would be willing to come out and install a POE between the first splitter and the source? That seems to be the main burden here, the POE between the source and my internal MoCA network.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-17-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter99559 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to wire my apartment with a MoCA network since I'm in the middle of a dense city with a lot of other Wifi networks that limit the speed. I have Comcast cable internet with a max download speed of around 70MB when it's wired, but my wifi download is usually only between 1-3 MB/sec. I have some questions I need help with.

Here is the layout of my apartment:

Currently the "main" Point of Entry of the cable into the apartment is the line going into the living room. This is where the cable modem and router currently are. The two bedroom jacks are split off at the apartment complex source, and I do not have access to them.

How would I set up my adapters? Would it be something like this?

My cable modem is a non-MoCA Arris model that is connected to a wired router which is connected to a wireless access point. Do I put the MoCA adapter between the cable modem and the Point of Entry connection in the living room?

One last question - where do I put the POE filter to be sure I have some security? Would there need to be only one? Or would each of the bedroom coaxial jacks also need a POE filter as well? Is MoCA a good option for me if I don't have access to the lines that feed my two bedrooms?

Are splitters numbers 1 and 2 feeding only your apartment? If they are, you need to install the POE filter between the main cable box for the complex and your number 1 splitter per your diagram. The POE filter then has your MoCA network isolated.

You could then install the first MoCA adapter per your diagram in the living room with your modem and router as well as both bedrooms per your diagram.

You will have to make sure that both splitters have the appropriate bandwidth range so as to not block the MoCA operating frequencies. As this is roughly between 500MHz and 1650MHz you should have splitters that go up to at least 1650zMHz.

Per your diagram, your number 2 splitter is simply an extension of the number 1 splitter. The number 1 splitter could be replaced with a 1 input/3 output splitter and you would more or less have the same connection with the only difference being maybe a small difference in signal attenuation/signal strength.

So, in summery:
  • You need to make sure that both splitters are supplying signal only to your apartment.
  • That the splitters are operating in the MoCA bandwidth.
  • Move the POE filter in front of the splitters where the main cable feed comes to your apartment.
  • You should be good to go!

If your buying new MoCA adapters, I would go with MoCA 2.0 Bonded. Bonded is a key word, it's backwards compatible with older MoCA configurations and will give you the fastest Mb/s throughput (rated at 1000).

The diagram in this picture covers the equipment connections. In your case the home office label would be your living room and the living room label would be your bedrooms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1328200827-netgear-mcab1001-moca-coaxethernet-adapter-kit-2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	2032793  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Wireless isn't a great option, because I'm in the middle of at least 25 other wireless networks and if I get terrible coverage with 2.4Ghz I don't know if 5Ghz would reach back all the way into my apartment.
The reason you're getting poor 2.4 GHz coverage is because there's only 3 channels that are available - 1, 6, 11 (in the US, anyway). If you have neighbors that are using channels other than those, they're making matters worse for everyone. The main reason to move over to 5 GHz is for the additional channels. Not only that, but there's usually enough channels to bond two or more together to increase available bandwidth. If you can get completely off 2.4 GHz, do it.

Another option is to run your own coax inside your apartment if possible. However, if you can run coax inside, you should be able to run network cable instead, negating the need for MoCA.

Quote:
So am I correct in assuming this is the right way to set up a MoCA Adapter?
Yes, making the assumption the DVR does not have a built-in MOCA bridge.

Quote:
I was looking to purchase these MoCA Adapters , would one of those in my front room allow me to pass through the coaxial cable to the TV?
Yes. The second F-type connector goes to the cable box/tv. It strips off the MoCA signal. I usually prefer to use a splitter instead though, eliminating the adapter from being a point of failure. You will need 3 MoCA adapters for your setup.

There's also a 2.0 version of the adapter for not much more: https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bon...actiontec+moca

Quote:
Do you think if I contacted Comcast they would be willing to come out and install a POE between the first splitter and the source? That seems to be the main burden here, the POE between the source and my internal MoCA network.
Only way to know is to call and ask. I didn't have the best of luck when it came to Comcast support, but that was years ago and thing may have changed since then.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I tracked the coaxial outside the apartment to the junction box, but the box is behind a fence on private property and likely locked. Do you think if I contacted Comcast they would be willing to come out and install a POE between the first splitter and the source? That seems to be the main burden here, the POE between the source and my internal MoCA network.
Yes, Comcast would most likely roll a truck to ensure isolation between apartments if these examples from the TiVo Community Forums (TCF) are any indication...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page