Frustrated by Roku Ultra/Premiere+ problems--4K HDR streaming alternatives? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
  • 2 Post By michaeltscott
  • 1 Post By michaeltscott
  • 1 Post By aaronwt
  • 2 Post By michaeltscott
  • 4 Post By kbmb
  • 1 Post By kbmb
  • 1 Post By rbphelan
  • 1 Post By kbmb
  • 1 Post By martinjd

post #1 of 26 Old 03-16-2017, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Frustrated by Roku Ultra/Premiere+ problems--4K HDR streaming alternatives?

Discuss.
Tweeter2002 and jyyz like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Though I don't personally care for its toy-like industrial design, I think that NVIDIA Shield TV is a fine choice. At least it now comes with a regular remote standard (it originally included only the game pad, regular remote sold separately). Also it now has a built-in IR remote sensor, nice for universal remote fans.

Note that I have not personally tried one yet.
Tweeter2002 likes this.

post #3 of 26 Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
I would consider the Shield if they ditched the game controller and lowered the price at least $50. Otherwise my Roku Ultra has been an excellent streamer with a fast UI. It has many apps to choose from. I use the major ones and a couple of more obscure ones.
reddice likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 26 Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Also it now has a built-in IR remote sensor, nice for universal remote fans.
The current generation has dropped the IR sensor unless you purchase the Pro version ($299) so you have to add your own if desired...

I have owned numerous Rokus and several Shields and I don't see them as competitors to a large degree. I don't take Internet streaming all that serious hence the low cost of the Roku ($59 for the Premiere+) wins along with the additional channels I can find with free content when I do wish to partake. The Shield has the potential to handle local streaming much better however for me it has never been realized. Just far too many issues so I couldn't use it for viewing I care about.

For casual viewing I can simply use Plex on the Roku and it works well enough... the Shield would do a better job however the experience wouldn't be any better so why bother. Now if Internet streaming was important to me I hear the new Sony UHD player handles streaming in 24Hz so it might be worth a shot. Although right now it has an extremely low number of available apps of which if it matches their Blu-ray players should grow before long.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #5 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm only mildly frustrated by my Roku Ultra. So far the only real problem I've been having are the chirps in all apps. If you watch enough on the weekends, it really starts to get annoying.

I posted this in the Shield forum but I'll re-post here in case anyone can answer. I've been interested in the Shield to an extent, but skill leaning towards the Roku.

Couple of questions for Shield owners that have also used a Roku:

1) I see some complaints on the Shields built in upscaler. How does the Shield upscaler compare to the Roku Ultra for 1080p content? We watch quite a bit of Netflix older shows that are all 1080p and Hulu, also 1080p. Would these programs look worse on the Shield compared to the Roku (both devices would be set to 4K, I don't want to have to switch settings back and forth).

2) 4K content on the Shield compared to the Roku? Any major differences? Clearer, softer?

3) With my Harmony Elite, I can have it go directly to any of the channels. This also integrates with Alexa. So I can say "Turn on Vudu" and Alexa/Harmony can turn everything on and launch Vudu. Can this be done with the Shield?

One of the big problems for me with the Shield is I'm on Comcast. So no app authentication for things like HBO Go, Showtime, PBS etc. I realize that's a Comcast issue, but still really annoying. I also try to consider which platform might get new apps first. I'm always hoping with Roku's market share that they would be targeted, but it seems like even Roku gets passed by these days in favor of Apple TV.

-Kevin
post #6 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Not my intention to hijack this thread but I was thinking of starting a similar topic.
I've been a very happy Roku 3 owner and was considering upgrading to a 4K streaming device to replace it.

I watch a ton of sports. NHL TV & MLB TV are a MUST so that rules out the Shield and I have no interest in the gaming features anyway. The Roku Ultra would be the obvious choice but from reading this forum and the Roku boards it appears that about 90% of Roku 4K owners are having major problems but that's where I'm confused. I wonder what kind of setup those people without issues are using.

The device would be connected HDMI through a Marantz 8802A to an LG 65B6P. If I was going to purchase the Ultra it would be from Best Buy with their liberal return policy.

Are there any other alternatives for my needs or should I try the Ultra?

Thanks

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)

Last edited by steady teddy; 03-17-2017 at 05:26 AM.
post #7 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
... but from reading this forum and the Roku boards it appears that about 90% of Roku 4K owners are having major problems...

90%+ of people who post in these product discussions come to discuss the problems they're experiencing, seeking validation and help. Few satisfied people bother to seek out discussions of products they own in order to post that they're happy with the product. Reading these online discussions gives a highly skewed impression of the product's reliability.
aaronwt and PooperScooper like this.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 03-17-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
90+ of people who post in these product discussions come to discuss the problems they're experiencing, seeking validation and help. Few satisfied people bother to seek out discussions of products they own in order to post that they're happy with the product. Reading these online discussions gives a highly skewed impression of the product's reliability.

Can't disagree. I suppose I'm just trying to justify my purchase of the Ultra since I really have no other options if I want 4K. I can always return it within 15 days if I can't get it play nice with my system. If I wasn't such a sports junkie, I'd consider something else.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
post #9 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I've enjoyed the Nvidia Shield so far. I attached a cheap 1TB external HDD to the cheaper non-pro Shield and it does everything I want.

I've got a non 4k older Roku stick that I like as well, but I prefer the Shield's interface. And it seems like the Shield is on the front line in terms of capabilities and compatibility.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I'm only mildly frustrated by my Roku Ultra. So far the only real problem I've been having are the chirps in all apps. If you watch enough on the weekends, it really starts to get annoying.

I posted this in the Shield forum but I'll re-post here in case anyone can answer. I've been interested in the Shield to an extent, but skill leaning towards the Roku.

1) I see some complaints on the Shields built in upscaler. How does the Shield upscaler compare to the Roku Ultra for 1080p content? We watch quite a bit of Netflix older shows that are all 1080p and Hulu, also 1080p. Would these programs look worse on the Shield compared to the Roku (both devices would be set to 4K, I don't want to have to switch settings back and forth).

2) 4K content on the Shield compared to the Roku? Any major differences? Clearer, softer?

3) With my Harmony Elite, I can have it go directly to any of the channels. This also integrates with Alexa. So I can say "Turn on Vudu" and Alexa/Harmony can turn everything on and launch Vudu. Can this be done with the Shield?

I realize that's a Comcast issue, but still really annoying. I also try to consider which platform might get new apps first. I'm always hoping with Roku's market share that they would be targeted, but it seems like even Roku gets passed by these days in favor of Apple TV.

-Kevin
If I understood comcast's rep correctly, all premium apps will have to be watch through their x1 platform.

This is the main reason why i left comcast for fios.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #11 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
90%+ of people who post in these product discussions come to discuss the problems they're experiencing, seeking validation and help. Few satisfied people bother to seek out discussions of products they own in order to post that they're happy with the product. Reading these online discussions gives a highly skewed impression of the product's reliability.
Second that, the first time I went to a Roku forum it was kind of scary. The world of 4k streaming is still a work in progress but there is still a lot of content that isn't (a lot of sports for starters). Sometimes the best thing to do is to just try things out for yourself. I have Tivo's a Roku, and an Apple TV. If forums are to be believed I should be struck down for not having major problems with any of them.

"Oooh a puzzle box, I love puzzles"/ "Are you familiar with 'The Lament Configuration"/ "Actually I'm lousy at puzzles..."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 03-20-2017 at 01:05 AM. Reason: mis-spell
post #12 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:

One of the big problems for me with the Shield is I'm on Comcast. So no app authentication for things like HBO Go, Showtime, PBS etc. I realize that's a Comcast issue, but still really annoying. I also try to consider which platform might get new apps first. I'm always hoping with Roku's market share that they would be targeted, but it seems like even Roku gets passed by these days in favor of Apple TV.

-Kevin
To answer my own thread, I bought a Shield to play around with for a bit. Again, really the only Roku issue I'm having right now is the chirping.

1) I didn't really notice much difference in 1080p content between the Shield and the Roku - both looked good.
2) Again, 4K and 4K HDR content between both looked the same to my eyes in my setup.
3) I couldn't find any way to have the Harmony go directly to apps.

I ended up returning the Shield. We really do like our Roku and I couldn't justify the cost to have another box in the house that did basically the same things (along with no ability to auth with Comcast). We don't do any local streaming (Plex/Kodi/etc). I looked at games, but didn't want to spend $7.99/month for GeForce Now just to play some older titles. The Google Play store was hit or miss on what apps were compatible with the Shield, and most of those apps are really just quick timesavers. I do think the Shield is a nice box. Very quick. Little clunky on the app store and updating apps OOB, but that was a one time thing. Harmony Elite setup was easy and it controlled everything. If I didn't have a Roku and was looking for a box - I would probably have a tough choice deciding between that and the Shield. And if Roku doesn't solve the chirping soon, and if I see platforms abandoning the Roku, then I might have to look at the Shield again (although it doesn't seem like anyone other than Nvidia cares about Android TV).

-Kevin
aaronwt, timmo, zeuswsu and 1 others like this.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Harmony Elite setup was easy and it controlled everything. If I didn't have a Roku and was looking for a box - I would probably have a tough choice deciding between that and the Shield. And if Roku doesn't solve the chirping soon, and if I see platforms abandoning the Roku, then I might have to look at the Shield again (although it doesn't seem like anyone other than Nvidia cares about Android TV).

-Kevin

You say the harmony elite was easy to setup. Was this with the $300 or $200 version?

I had/have some do the same concerns as you going from a Roku to Shield so I appreciate you coming back to answer your own questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #14 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post
You say the harmony elite was easy to setup. Was this with the $300 or $200 version?

I had/have some do the same concerns as you going from a Roku to Shield so I appreciate you coming back to answer your own questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The $300 version with the Harmony Hub. Initial setup did nothing, but once it was paired via Bluetooth, everything worked.

-Kevin
zeuswsu likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I see the same thing over on another thread for the Oppo UDP-203 - new 4k player. 4K HDR is still in it's infancy and full of problems. Most of us aren't having any troubles (none with my Ultra) but there are those that do have issues.

The single most important thing that I've learned from the Oppo forum is cables. Use only CERTIFIED cables - not just rated but the ones with the certification sticker. Most of our HDR issues go away when the cables were replaced.
aaronwt likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 215
It's been a while since I used my Roku Ultra, but I did recently start to notice the random chirping. Can come from any speaker really.

Has ROKU support admitted this issue or are they aware of it? Any fix for it? I did play with some audio settings but it still chirped in any mode.

This is my only issue with the ROKU, are people downgrading firmware to solve the chirping?

Spoiler!
post #17 of 26 Old 03-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
It's been a while since I used my Roku Ultra, but I did recently start to notice the random chirping. Can come from any speaker really.

Has ROKU support admitted this issue or are they aware of it? Any fix for it? I did play with some audio settings but it still chirped in any mode.

This is my only issue with the ROKU, are people downgrading firmware to solve the chirping?
The audio chirping is my biggest issue. I also have an issue with hulu needing to be reloaded to refresh tiles. Otherwise Roku Ultra is faster than my 2015 Smart TV. I should verify these issues against my TV but usually an afterthought.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.ph...rt=135#p549121

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
post #18 of 26 Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post

Yes, chirping is a known issue that is taking them far too long to get fixed IMO.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98931

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
The audio chirping is my biggest issue. I also have an issue with hulu needing to be reloaded to refresh tiles. Otherwise Roku Ultra is faster than my 2015 Smart TV. I should verify these issues against my TV but usually an afterthought.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.ph...rt=135#p549121
No need to reload Hulu to get the tiles to show up. Just click on the first blank tile and then click back. All the tiles should appear now.

-Kevin
brotony likes this.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
No need to reload Hulu to get the tiles to show up. Just click on the first blank tile and then click back. All the tiles should appear now.

-Kevin
Clever; I'll try that to see if any quicker. Habits are hard to break though.

But I'm going to be testing the TV smart app UI to see if these issues exist there or not.

Thanks!

Edit: I don't have any of those Roku gripes with the TV smart app audio or hulu but 1st generation Tizen on a Samsung 2015 TV reminds me why I prefer Roku UI. You can't just jump right into smart apps and start viewing without getting lags and nags about TV starting or check input while dozens of remote inputs go ignored. Why do I need an input device active to use the internal smart apps, Samsung?

So much for the notion that viewing is more important than the UI. Samsung engineers should be forced to use this UI if they can't give it a real update. It almost sounded like they promised Tizen 2.0 but claim they gave us the improvements under the hood. OCB is a big joke; buy a 2015 TV and in 2017, you still have a 2015 TV. Somehow Samsung sees that as a promise kept. But that's another gripe; sorry for being off topic but that's why I bought the Roku Ultra.

Last edited by brotony; 03-24-2017 at 09:10 PM.
post #20 of 26 Old 03-28-2017, 06:03 PM
I got nothing

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the obligatory chirp but the most aggravating thing is the lack of HDR when watching Netflix from the Roku Ultra. I can watch content from Amazon in HDR from the Roku and I can watch content from both Netflix and Amazon using the apps on my tv but nothing I have tried has worked on the Roku to date from Netflix.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-28-2017, 08:59 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 5496 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjd View Post
I have the obligatory chirp but the most aggravating thing is the lack of HDR when watching Netflix from the Roku Ultra. I can watch content from Amazon in HDR from the Roku and I can watch content from both Netflix and Amazon using the apps on my tv but nothing I have tried has worked on the Roku to date from Netflix.
That's weird that it will send HDR for Amazon but not Netflix. You would think since it works with one that it would work with the other.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-28-2017 at 09:04 PM.
post #22 of 26 Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM
I got nothing

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's weird that it will send HDR for Amazon but not Netflix. You would think since it works with one that it would work with the other.
You would think. Guess what Netflix suggested I do. Yep. Call Roku. I am not going down that path again.
aaronwt likes this.
post #23 of 26 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjd View Post
You would think. Guess what Netflix suggested I do. Yep. Call Roku. I am not going down that path again.
Yeah don't do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Technology geek and movie buff.
"If tomorrow my company goes under I will just start another paper company. And then another and another and another. I have no shortage of company names." -Michael Scott
post #24 of 26 Old Today, 09:29 AM

My Roku Ultra just rebooted itself after locking me out of UI. I haven't rebooted in a while but yesterday had a similar unwillingness to wake from pause on black screen which happens to be my mobile screensaver preference/option.

This time it wouldn't wake from my Harmony Hub remote play or back functions. It partially woke with original Roku Ultra remote (displayed progress bar, pause and screen as still only) but wouldn't start playback. Several key inputs (play and back) caused the reboot.

Hate that I cannot disable that annoying boot sound! Really? There should be a setting for that.

So there's a remote soft reset code that is slow to process. Maybe it does more than just reboot? It scrolls the screen menu, removes the channel menu and flashes the white light on Roku several times with display showing settings highlighted, slightly off-center before it finally reboots.

Last edited by brotony; Today at 09:50 AM.
post #25 of 26 Old Today, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
So there's a remote soft reset code that is slow to process. Maybe it does more than just reboot?

There's a code which sends a bunch of diagnostic information to Roku before restarting; that might be it.

post #26 of 26 Old Today, 08:51 PM

Quote:
There's a code which sends a bunch of diagnostic information to Roku before restarting; that might be it.
Thanks. If true they may not have gotten much because I had already forced rebooted the Roku Ultra with the multiple non responsive key presses.

I'll try to recall that sequence next time it locks me out though. I was hoping it was clearing cache because it was sluggish a day before it froze. It has been better since though; came out of a long pause as expected without freezing. May not be what Roku engineers expect to get but I reset it twice with that input sequence after it rebooted on its own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming