Fantastic Beasts with 3D and Atmos Attempt (blu-ray quality) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Fantastic Beasts with 3D and Atmos Attempt (blu-ray quality)

So as we did with Gravity here Gravity 3D MKV... with ATMOS. How to do it?, I'm going to attempt to create an ISO or MKV file of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" with the 3D video track from the 3D bluray and the Dolby Atmos track from the 2D bluray. Last time I personally did the ISO version and it worked surprisingly easily; however, I believe I no longer have the DVDFab license--not to mention that, last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to use their software due to their legal troubles.

This is for creating an MKV file for playback on a 3D-capable computer or media player device like a KDLinks 720, which I have. If you don't already have a system like this capable of playing back 3D MKV (or other types), this thread is above-and-beyond what you need and I cannot help you get there. And, no I will not rip these files to a disc and send it to you nor will I send you the completed product in a stand-alone file for download. I may rip my own movies but I am anti-pirating to a near boy-scout level.

UPDATE:

Success!

I used the MKVToolNIX method. (Download page--I imagine most people will need to scroll down to "Windows" and click the link for the direct download page of the installer package.) I ripped the two MKV files initially using MakeMKV and then via MKVToolNIX selected the 3d video file and the TrueHD Atmos audio track in the "Input" tab of MKVToolNIX. Be sure to select the proper file destination on the "output" tab.

One weird thing that happened was that MKVToolNix initially named the file a ".mk3d" file, which my KDLINKS did not recognize. However changing it to ".mkv" worked just fine.
john barlow, SuperFist and cky2354 like this.

Last edited by javanpohl; 06-14-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-13-2017, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Apparently we have to do this with Lego Batman as well.

Update:
Lego Batman also went off without a hitch. However, if you don't have the means to re-mux the 3D and Atmos, I'd say stick with the 3D version. The 3D is wall-to-wall amazing while the Atmos mix is nothing too impressive.

Last edited by javanpohl; 06-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 348
This is some great info, javanpohl!

Why are there no posts here? This stuff is gold!

I want to make sure I save this post for when I get a larger possible 3D set in the future.
BL4DE likes this.

post #4 of 44 Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5972 Post(s)
Liked: 5025
Just saw this thread.

Sub'd.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
So as we did with Gravity here Gravity 3D MKV... with ATMOS. How to do it?, I'm going to attempt to create an ISO or MKV file of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" with the 3D video track from the 3D bluray and the Dolby Atmos track from the 2D bluray. Last time I personally did the ISO version and it worked surprisingly easily; however, I believe I no longer have the DVDFab license--not to mention that, last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to use their software due to their legal troubles.

This is for creating an MKV file for playback on a 3D-capable computer or media player device like a KDLinks 720, which I have. If you don't already have a system like this capable of playing back 3D MKV (or other types), this thread is above-and-beyond what you need and I cannot help you get there. And, no I will not rip these files to a disc and send it to you nor will I send you the completed product in a stand-alone file for download. I may rip my own movies but I am anti-pirating to a near boy-scout level.

UPDATE:

Success!

I used the MKVToolNIX method. (Download page--I imagine most people will need to scroll down to "Windows" and click the link for the direct download page of the installer package.) I ripped the two MKV files initially using MakeMKV and then via MKVToolNIX selected the 3d video file and the TrueHD Atmos audio track in the "Input" tab of MKVToolNIX. Be sure to select the proper file destination on the "output" tab.

One weird thing that happened was that MKVToolNix initially named the file a ".mk3d" file, which my KDLINKS did not recognize. However changing it to ".mkv" worked just fine.
Thank you so much for this. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate that you shared this. The very thing that I've griped about with movie companies. Sometimes, I prefer a movie in 3D, rather than the UHD disc and the stingy industry who think it's a sound business practice to pick their most dedicated customers pockets every time they spend some hard earned cash with them by forcing them to double dip for UHD and 3D or, the other peeve of mine not having the Atmos or DTS X track on the lesser 1080p or 3D copy of a film. I don't understand their thinking. Is the customer not deserving of the superior performance of the more resolving sound than when viewing in 4K. It's B.S. They better start thinking about us, their bread and butter or I'm going to stop buying their discs altogether. So, because of you my stress level is in the safe range. Kudos!
javanpohl likes this.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else think AVS should, by default, subscribe you to a thread you created?--I always forget to do that.

Glad to hear the info is being appreciated. I'll be interested to see if we can use this method down the road in situations where only the UHD disc has the atmos mix (and where we'd actually want to see the 3D mix instead, which might not always be the case.)

I'd like to know if anyone had issues with the rip or merge of the Fantastic Beast 3D + Atmos tracks. I might need to try re-muxing or re-ripping mine. Don't know if it's my player or the file but the video starts stuttering once we see the winged creature in the briefcase.
post #7 of 44 Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Reading the King Kong Skull island, apparently the 3D version doesnt have atmos, yet the 4k version and regular blu ray do. And i just ordered the 3D version of gravity and assummed it had Atmos since i heard it had it. I didnt know this crap was being done. This sucks!

Samsung 3D UN65H7150 UH02;MediaLight Quad Bias Light;Yamaha RX-A2070BL 5.2.4 Atmos/DTSX
Def Tech Promonitor 1000 Def Tech Procenter 2000
Def Tech Promonitor 800 ceilings and surrounds;AC Infinity Aircom T8 Cooling System.
ProSub 800-Klipsch KSW150 Sub;Monster HTS 2600MKII Power Conditioner
Oppo UDP-103 Bluray-Apple TV 4th Gen;Harmony One;PlayStation 4 gaming

Last edited by ki11abee; 07-18-2017 at 03:48 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11abee View Post
Reading the King Kong Skull island, apparently the 3D version doesnt have atmos, yet the 4k version and regular blu ray do. And i just ordered the 3D version of gravity and assummed it had Atmos since i heard it had it. I didnt know this crap was being done. This sucks!
Well.... the Skull Island situation is not the same as Gravity. What they are doing with the 3D version of Skull Island is ....appalling. Glad I didn't pre-order that one before reading what they did. Ugh.

Gravity came out with a 3D 5.1ch version first and then nearly a year later re-released in Atmos. Not exactly as big a deal but not having Atmos and 3D is still pretty annoying.

Hence this thread.
post #9 of 44 Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 181
You have to do this with Sony's Pixels and Goosebumps as well.

The US Kong Skull Island's 3D disc is the one from Germany as it includes a lossless German dub. It also says discs made in mexico and germany on the package. I did a scan and the Atmos track should have fit even without dropping the English DTS-MA track.

LG 65C6P FW: 04.31.00 | Denon AVR-S930H 5.1.2 | Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II Floorstanding Fronts | CS2 Series Center | Monitor40 Series II Bookshelf Rears | Pioneer SP‑T22A‑LR | eD A2-300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One S | Panasonic DMP-BDT110 | Chromecast Ultra

LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501
Collection: Blu-ray
post #10 of 44 Old 07-18-2017, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
You have to do this with Sony's Pixels and Goosebumps as well.

The US Kong Skull Island's 3D disc is the one from Germany as it includes a lossless German dub. It also says discs made in mexico and germany on the package. I did a scan and the Atmos track should have fit even without dropping the English DTS-MA track.
At this point, it's obvious that it's not a matter of space on the disc that's preventing them (Warner Bros) from adding the atmos track, it's a simply marketing ploy. It is indeed rather frustrating though. It's not a matter of just buying an additional copy of the movie. It's a matter of not being able to buy one that has all the features you want.

Frankly though, I wouldn't think that this is the studio's fault... they wouldn't really benefit from this situation. I'd say the ones pulling the strings are the ones that have a desire to push out a new format (UHD discs): either the a/v manufacturers or Dolby itself (as they also have heavily invested in the video, HDR side of the equation, not just the audio).
post #11 of 44 Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Oh man, I'm going to have to attempt this one day. Thanks for this info.
post #12 of 44 Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 3830
Kong Skull Island 3D + ATMOS

Best Buy has a UHD / 2D / 3D combo pack.

quick mkvmerge with the 3D video + 2D ATMOS track, no issues. Plays back fine on the Mede8ter and Zidoo X8

The 3D was great in this movie
post #13 of 44 Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Best Buy has a UHD / 2D / 3D combo pack.

quick mkvmerge with the 3D video + 2D ATMOS track, no issues. Plays back fine on the Mede8ter and Zidoo X8

The 3D was great in this movie
Nice! I merged them last night but haven't watched it yet. Planning on it tonight. My mom's in town so we're gonna have to see if she handles the 3D ok with her glasses--she doesn't have contacts right now. If not we'll have to do it in 2D
post #14 of 44 Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It occurred to me that studios DO actually have a reason to pump out a new format: to get you to re-buy your collection all over again (duh).
post #15 of 44 Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
It occurred to me that studios DO actually have a reason to pump out a new format: to get you to re-buy your collection all over again (duh).
Just now figured this out, eh?
post #16 of 44 Old 07-21-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched it in 3D. Looked and sounded amazing. But, man, I need to get this stuttering issue figured out. The display started stuttering several complex shots.
post #17 of 44 Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Any advice for hardware for us to rip our own UHD and Blu Rays to make conversions? I have some movies I would like to create my own 3D blu ray using the ATMOS track from the UHD ver (Pacific Rim and Dredd) but want to make sure I get the correct drive for my computer that can read UHD blu rays. I read it requires an BDXL drive, but if someone has a drive that has read every UHD they have thrown at it I would like to start there =)

Edit: Reading more on this, is it possible to get the Atmos tracks of those UHD because of current encryption?

Last edited by grendelrt; 07-26-2017 at 06:39 AM.
post #18 of 44 Old 07-27-2017, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Any advice for hardware for us to rip our own UHD and Blu Rays to make conversions? I have some movies I would like to create my own 3D blu ray using the ATMOS track from the UHD ver (Pacific Rim and Dredd) but want to make sure I get the correct drive for my computer that can read UHD blu rays. I read it requires an BDXL drive, but if someone has a drive that has read every UHD they have thrown at it I would like to start there =)

Edit: Reading more on this, is it possible to get the Atmos tracks of those UHD because of current encryption?
Not sure. I haven't looked into that for a little while. We were waiting for even the capability to even rip UHD disc, much less bypass encryption or if the merging tools will even work with those files.

If you find anything concrete on it, let us know. If there's been any progress on the UHD ripping side, I'll update here.

I would definitely go through the trouble to merge the 3D Pacific Rim with its UHD Atmos track.
post #19 of 44 Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out the stuttering was the network speed, probably the abysmally slow port on the KDLINKS 720. I hooked an external HDD to it via USB and the scene of the bird in the briefcase played fine.
post #20 of 44 Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So, what's the best media player to purchase to play the 3D MKV with Atmos or DTS X? I have both NVidia shield and Oppo 203 but I heard they can't do it right? I don't care about having HDR or 4k... just want to play the remux 3D Blu-ray with Atmos. I have searched for hours and can't come up with the best player for this.
post #21 of 44 Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3700 Post(s)
Liked: 3830
Zidoo X8 + 3D MKV + ATMOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
So, what's the best media player to purchase to play the 3D MKV with Atmos or DTS X? I have both NVidia shield and Oppo 203 but I heard they can't do it right? I don't care about having HDR or 4k... just want to play the remux 3D Blu-ray with Atmos. I have searched for hours and can't come up with the best player for this.
The Zidoo X8 for only $109 does an excellent job playing back 3D BD ISO and also 3D MKV as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Android-ZIDOO...dp/B01L1HWFBC/

I just did this with the King Arthur 2D and 3D (2D had ATMOS, 3D didn't) and it works perfect.

cky2354 likes this.
post #22 of 44 Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Has anyone who has remuxed a disk actually burnt it back on a Blu Ray and played it through a player? I have a kodi setup that can play the file but prefer to use my Oppo player. Also it looks like WB pulled the same **** with Wonder Woman looking at the back of the box of the 3D Blu Ray on Amazon. Getting really ****ing old quick, I dont want to support their stupid ass practices....

post #23 of 44 Old 08-29-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Zidoo X8 for only $109 does an excellent job playing back 3D BD ISO and also 3D MKV as well.

I just did this with the King Arthur 2D and 3D (2D had ATMOS, 3D didn't) and it works perfect.
[/IMG]
How's the network functionality--is it is plug-and-play for it to see folders on the network or do you have to jump through hoops like creating a workgroup? My KDLINKS has always been a pain in this regard and I'm getting a little tired of it.
post #24 of 44 Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:

I bought the Zidoo X8 and it should arrive tomorrow so I will let you know how it plays my 3D MKVs. On that note... I just realized that I wanted Gravity 3D in Atmos but I don't have a way to get the atmos track. What are options for this? I imagine it's not a big file because it's just the audio but I thought my Blu-ray version would have it but it's only on the new deluxe Blu-ray which is very hard to find now. Luckily WB is including the Atmos with their Blu-rays for now. I guess for UHD atmos only, I heard people were playing the same movie in two different players and just syncing the sound... might be the only way till we can get the audio track out of the UHD blu-rays.
post #25 of 44 Old 08-30-2017, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought the Zidoo X8 and it should arrive tomorrow so I will let you know how it plays my 3D MKVs. On that note... I just realized that I wanted Gravity 3D in Atmos but I don't have a way to get the atmos track. What are options for this? I imagine it's not a big file because it's just the audio but I thought my Blu-ray version would have it but it's only on the new deluxe Blu-ray which is very hard to find now. Luckily WB is including the Atmos with their Blu-rays for now. I guess for UHD atmos only, I heard people were playing the same movie in two different players and just syncing the sound... might be the only way till we can get the audio track out of the UHD blu-rays.
Ha! Ditto

Sorry, no can do on sharing the atmos audio track. I do not pilfer in copyrighted goods.
post #26 of 44 Old 08-30-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Ha! Ditto

Sorry, no can do on sharing the atmos audio track. I do not pilfer in copyrighted goods.
No.. I'm not into getting freebies either. I have over 1000 Blu-rays, 200 3D blu-rays, and 100 4K UHD blu-rays... I think I can afford to buy my movies. My problem is paying someone 4 times much for a movie just because it's exclusive or whatever. I will pay retail though I have no issues with that. It's like all those damn scalpers when it comes to Nintendo stuff as well. Just not going to give into that. I'm going to wait till Gravity is releases on 4K before I upgrade to Atmos. I just wanted to watch the 3D now... I'm sure DTS-MA is good as well.

Original thread started with Gravity and I figure that would be my first attempt at 3D and Atmos since that was the movie people were trying to get it remux to have both 3D and atmos.... I figure that would be the first 3D movie I do it on as well. Unfortunately, didn't know that the atmos track was not on the blu-ray like some of the resent releases. Since that movie was released 2 years ago and very limited, it's not something you can buy right now from online or retail store. If I can get hands on it... I would have bought it. Besides... I'm not the one who is screwing the customers here for the atmos track on 3D blu-ray.

By the way, I think your method is working to get 3D and Atmos combined. Currently doing it for my King Arthur Legend of the Sword as we speak. I guess Gravity will have to wait!

Last edited by cky2354; 08-30-2017 at 06:47 PM.
post #27 of 44 Old 08-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just keep an eye on it and jump when the price is right. I picked up a brand new Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition from Amazon for $10 back in July.
post #28 of 44 Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
Just keep an eye on it and jump when the price is right. I picked up a brand new Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition from Amazon for $10 back in July.

Yeah.. I keep looking for it on Amazon and Ebay but goes for about $50 to $60. Wish I could buy it off someone for $10... or know someone that will let me just borrow it. Not sure what the rules are about letting someone borrow your movies... I used to do it all the time but I wouldn't get them back so ... I don't even offer anymore. Like you said, I just have to keep looking for it I guess. Till then, I'm going to just enjoy rest of my 3D Blu-ray collection with Atmos even though it does take some effort it looks like. I have to rip two versions of the movie... then remux it... so about 3 hours total. I'll do King Kong Skull Island and Lego Batman next time. I'm already tired just doing one for tonight.

Okay.. this method worked! I got King Arthur Legend of the Sword in 3D and Atmos! Take that WB... if you guys aren't going to provide then we will have to make due. Just hope you keep adding atmos to your blu-ray version at least.

I was also able to get hold of the Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition! I will remux this thing with my Gravity 3D. I can't wait. Thanks OP for tip on getting it to work.

Last edited by cky2354; 08-31-2017 at 05:53 AM.
post #29 of 44 Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah.. I keep looking for it on Amazon and Ebay but goes for about $50 to $60. Wish I could buy it off someone for $10... or know someone that will let me just borrow it. Not sure what the rules are about letting someone borrow your movies... I used to do it all the time but I wouldn't get them back so ... I don't even offer anymore. Like you said, I just have to keep looking for it I guess. Till then, I'm going to just enjoy rest of my 3D Blu-ray collection with Atmos even though it does take some effort it looks like. I have to rip two versions of the movie... then remux it... so about 3 hours total. I'll do King Kong Skull Island and Lego Batman next time. I'm already tired just doing one for tonight.

Okay.. this method worked! I got King Arthur Legend of the Sword in 3D and Atmos! Take that WB... if you guys aren't going to provide then we will have to make due. Just hope you keep adding atmos to your blu-ray version at least.

I was also able to get hold of the Gravity Diamond Luxe Edition! I will remux this thing with my Gravity 3D. I can't wait. Thanks OP for tip on getting it to work.
Glad you found one for a "reasonable" price!--and that the muxing is working for you!

Warner bros (and others) may be pulling some shenanigans, but, for the special formats, I feel like we've always had to deal with the studios pulling weird, exclusive crap. Remember when you could only get certain 3D movies by buying a certain a/v product?--When the Avatar 3D blu-ray was SELLING (not just being listed) on eBay for $100? I think the most I've paid for a movie like that was How to Train Your Dragon 3D for $50 or $60 (and, sadly & surprisingly, it looked horrendous on my Samsung 3D plasma and prompted me to get a 3D DLP projector). For Avatar, I actually bought an open-box Panasonic(?) blu-ray player, sent in the voucher for the free Avatar 3D disc and returned the blu-ray player.

Last edited by javanpohl; 08-31-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #30 of 44 Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my Zidoo X8 today. Excited to see if it's easier to use than my KDLINKS HD720. The ability to download and add the subtitle files through the GUI is really what sold it for me. I never seem to remember that I've got a few movies where I need to find the proper forced subtitle track (e.g. Star Wars-es) until I want to watch them and hence no longer have the desire to jump on my computer to do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page