How long did it take for your RMA Drive? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 267
How long did it take for your RMA Drive?

My question is about customer service from hard drive companies. I bought four WD Red 4TB hard drives from Amazon last year. One drive was DOA and Amazon sent me a replacement right away. Now, a second drive is showing SMART errors and it appears i have to return the drive with a RMA.

My question is, if you had to return a bad hard drive in warranty, how long did it take to get a replacement. For two drives to fail in a year is a pretty high failure rate IMHO. I never had any hard drive failures recently (I have been using Toshiba and WD Black drives for my desktop with no issues). Previously I had Hitachi and Seagates with a pretty high failure rate.

I currently am running two NAS devices with 11 WD Red drives and that is a big investment. Do you find any brand in particular to be really reliable?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really everybody's mileage will vary. The last 7 years I have had exclusively Seagate drives in my server, and have had only 1 fail in that time. They are all desktop drives, the cheapest I can find.
I had to send drive to Singapore with a 4 week turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 04-03-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 243
RMAs can depend. For me, I had lousy luck with WD drives as the drive will arrive but not get acknowledged for months. I had to tell them I returned the drive already before they shipped the replacement (I used fedex so had a delivery record). 3months later I get an automated email saying my drive had arrived.

Seagate drives generally are good - the drive is received within a day of it arriving. But that's my experience.

You can also get an advance replacement so the drive arrives before you send it back.

And drives that fail usually are because they were shipped badly. It always annoys me when I buy hard drives and the come loose in the box. Sometimes I get lucky and they come wrapped in bubble wrap. Sometimes retail packaged is the only way to go.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
My question is about customer service from hard drive companies. I bought four WD Red 4TB hard drives from Amazon last year. One drive was DOA and Amazon sent me a replacement right away. Now, a second drive is showing SMART errors and it appears i have to return the drive with a RMA.

My question is, if you had to return a bad hard drive in warranty, how long did it take to get a replacement. For two drives to fail in a year is a pretty high failure rate IMHO. I never had any hard drive failures recently (I have been using Toshiba and WD Black drives for my desktop with no issues). Previously I had Hitachi and Seagates with a pretty high failure rate.

I currently am running two NAS devices with 11 WD Red drives and that is a big investment. Do you find any brand in particular to be really reliable?
Whenever I build or sell a raid server, I make the customer keep 2 extra drives ready for spares. RMA with credit card and they will cross ship your replacement drive. It will be a re-certified drive which is garbage to me. I just sell off on ebay and purchase a new drive to put back in spare parts. My servers are replaced every 3-4 years as are my clients. That is the life expectancy of any server. I have never lost any data in 8 years of selling and using video servers. I always build Raid 6 now and follow the 3-4 year rule.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 04-05-2017 at 07:37 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just FYI, WD sent me a replacement drive one week after I sent the bad one in... (sent the bad drive in on Monday, WD received it on Wednesday, WD sent replacement on following Monday)...

post #6 of 7 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Just FYI, WD sent me a replacement drive one week after I sent the bad one in... (sent the bad drive in on Monday, WD received it on Wednesday, WD sent replacement on following Monday)...
Do they no longer offer advanced replacement with CC?

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Do they no longer offer advanced replacement with CC?
They do but I was not aware of this... There was nothing about this on the RMA page I was directed to...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page