How fast should my wi-fi speed be? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How fast should my wi-fi speed be?

Vizio M43-C1 tv, Arris NVG443B router
For router specs see data sheet:
http://www.arris.com/products/nvg44x...voice-gateway/

I couldn't find a forum section that seemed to be dedicated to Wi-Fi, so I hope folks on this form can answer my question.

I've had a few problems with my new internet installation and had to call Frontier support a couple of times.

Without all of the details:
I recently had Frontier 24Mbs broadband internet with wi-fi router installed. I've noticed what seems to be a change with the wi-fi connection speed at my tv. I once tested the wi-fi at my tv as 13Mbs, but it now reads anywhere from 49Kbs to 2.5Mbs. Sometimes it says 'no download available.' What would be typical for a wi-fi tv connection speed with a full 5 bars signal strength?

Below are more details if it helps.

Details:
About a week ago I had Frontier Broadband internet (24Mbs) installed with a wi-fi router. (My first wi-fi internet and first use of the wi-fi built into my Vizio tv.) At first I had 23+Mbs at my ethernet wired pc. After the installer left I had problems establishing a connection to my Vizio wi-fi tv (the router wasn't set up properly). I called Frontier support who made changes to my router settings and helped establish the wi-fi tv connection.

A few days later I saw for the first time that my tv has an option to 'Test Connection.' I found that my wi-fi connection at the tv was 13.8Mbs and, checking at my ethernet wired pc, I had that same speed. I wasn't getting the near 24Mbs speed that I was first getting at the pc. ( I don't know if the change of my pc internet speed from 24Mbs to 13Mbs was due to the changes made by tech support in that first call or not.) I called tech support again who had me plug the ethernet wire into port 2 instead of port 3 on the back of the router and made some changes to the router settings. They got my pc back to 23+Mbs, but I did not check the tv wi-fi speed as I had the technician on the phone overly long already.

Yesterday, I checked the wi-fi speed at my tv. It was down to 49Kbs to 2.5Mbs. A few times it said 'no download available' and Netflix would not load. Even at this low speed, when a Netflix program does load, it does so in about 2 seconds but, the picture is often degraded for 15 to 30 seconds. (Again, I don't know if what seems to be a very low wi-fi speed is because of the changes made to my router by tech support in the second call.)

After that second call, I found that the tv wi-fi strength went from a consistent 5 bars to 4 bars and occasionally 3 bars. Today I found that the phone wire supplied by Frontier was bad. In cycling the modem, it most often would not connect to the internet. I replaced the phone wire with my own and the modem seems to make connection consistently. Even with the new phone wire, the tv wi-fi connection speed is still as low as it has been. Moving the modem around a little, I am back to 5 bars, but I don't know if that will remain consistent.

It all comes down to that there seems to be a considerable drop in my tv wi-fi connection speed. This being my first wi-fi stuff, I don't know what is typical but, I did see the wi-fi speed at 13+Mbs at one time.

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Wifi is a strange beast but you should be getting faster then that. What sound like happened is during one of your tech calls the tech changed the wireless channel you are running on to a more congested channel so you are getting lots of interference. I would try logging into your router and changing the wireless channel to see if it helps your problem.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Did you check to see if the TV was still connected to the correct Wi-Fi? Make sure it didn't decide to wander off to the neighbors house.

post #4 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Folks,

When I do the 'Test Connection' thing, my tv says it is connected to my default router name, so I think that is okay.

Since this connection speed seems to be slower than it should be I think I better call Frontier support again.

Between the phone calls to Comcast which prompted me to switch to Frontier, and the calls to Frontier, I've been on the phone about 15 hours. I'm out of phone minutes allowed to me, and about out of the extra minutes that I purchased. I wish we could charge these companies $30 per hour for their screwups.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Liked: 17
Signal strength bars mean absolutely nothing. Does the TV report RSSI or signal strength in dBm? The TV should be at least -67 dBm for a good connection. If it's lower than that, then relocate your access point.

Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? What channel?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

My tv only shows up to 5 bars for signal strength. No db reading.

Originally, the installer had connected me at 2.4GHz and 5GHz but made some mistake on the router and I couldn't get the tv to connect to the router.

The first call to support changed that to 2.4GHz only and helped me establish a wi-fi connection to the tv.

Second call to support got my internet speed back up to 23+Mbs and changed the channel to 11. If I remember correctly, it was set on auto. Also, the technician had me change the ethernet on the back of the router from port 3 to port 2.

By relocate my access point, do you mean move my router around?
post #7 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Looking in the tv 'System Information' I see Wi-Fi RSSI: -60dBm, -100dBm.

The -60 fluctuates often from about -56 to -62dBm. The -100 drops momentarily to -50dBm about every 8 seconds. Seems to do that consistently.

Perhaps I should mention that my microwave oven can cause the wi-fi signal to be lost.

I moved my router and it now is -54dBm, -56dBm.

Moving my router to other places can get those numbers to be slightly different. Me standing at different places in the living room can cause the numbers to change.

Which is the better signal, -60dBm or -70dBm?
post #8 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 242
the first number you want low. rule of thumb -70 you can surf the web and get email. -67 is the minimum strength required to stream video -30 is max signle strength. The numbers are not linear. So your -54 should be fine for video streaming.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

So far, moving my router around doesn't seem to give me better signal strength consistently. I'll mess with that some more.

I did change the channel back to automatic and that seems to do better than channel 11. Tomorrow I'll move my modem around and try different channels.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhh View Post
The -60 fluctuates often from about -56 to -62dBm. The -100 drops momentarily to -50dBm about every 8 seconds. Seems to do that consistently.

Perhaps I should mention that my microwave oven can cause the wi-fi signal to be lost.
You should definitely investigate the 8 second issue. If it is indeed a constant drop every 8 seconds you need to find the problem. You will only be helping your connection by correcting it regardless if you get a good enough signal moving your access point.

As for the microwave, if you can get on the 5GHz vice the 2.4GHz, you might resolve some of the interference.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkennethrose View Post
You should definitely investigate the 8 second issue. If it is indeed a constant drop every 8 seconds you need to find the problem. You will only be helping your connection by correcting it regardless if you get a good enough signal moving your access point... snip ...
For sure this. Weather/Aviation Radar has about that time cycle (8 seconds).
post #12 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhh View Post
Thanks.

So far, moving my router around doesn't seem to give me better signal strength consistently. I'll mess with that some more.

I did change the channel back to automatic and that seems to do better than channel 11. Tomorrow I'll move my modem around and try different channels.
Harry, there are so many issues with a situation such as yours. Your first WiFi. Bad installation, poor tech support. Arris DSL modem/router combined.

You've gotten good advice but at this point you should look into requesting a replacement unit for your Arris. Having your PC directly wired to your modem/router and only getting 13 Mbps (half of the speed you pay for) is a red flag. As an additional quality check I would move the TV close enough to the Arris to use an ethernet cable and check your speeds again. It may not be just a WiFi problem.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #13 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this is crazy. Things are changing as I try to write this. All I have done is change the channel number to 11 and back to automatic where it had been. Also, I moved the router a couple of times then back to on my desk where it had been.

Currently, the first number is fluctuating -52dBm to -60dBm. The second number sits mostly on -100 but changes to -48 and on occasion -46. While it sits mostly at -100, there is no longer a pattern of 8 seconds. (When I first started writing this, before the couple of changes that I made, it sat at a steady -100.)

Also, hours ago, early this morning my download speed was still around 1.5Mbs +/- 0.8Mbs. Currently, it is ranging from about 5Mbs to 19Mbs. The only things I did while writing this is change to channel 11 and back to automatic where I had left it last night. I also moved the router around some looking for a stronger signal, but I found it best to put it back on my desk where it was sitting originally.

I get my broadband from buried phone lines. There is a change in the weather this morning. It has been damp with occasional light rain for 4 days now. Today, it is drying out some and the sun is trying to come through some light clouds. I hope the damp weather is not the problem because that will mean I will often have speed problems.

Anyway folks, as far as I can tell for now, my new Frontier broadband internet is acceptable at this moment.

I'm going to post a new question about the two dBm numbers, and look into setting my router back to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz as it first was. Frontier support changed it to 2.4 only.

Thanks folks, you've been a big help.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mr.G,

Since my last call to tech support and my finding that I had a bad phone wire between the wall jack and the router, I believe I am now consistently getting 23+Mbs at my pc. I am getting 23.78Mbs right now.

I've move my tv to the floor next to my computer and connected an 8 foot ethernet cable to port 3 on the back of the router. I'm getting a signal strength of -48dBm, -100dBm. The -48 fluctuates a little, -46 or -50. The -100 pretty much stays steady, but I have seen it drop to -50 a couple of times in the last 5 minutes.

Download speed is now 16Mbs to 21Mbs. In perhaps 1 out of 10 speed tests it will be between 5Mbs and 11Mbs, but I am guessing there are normal fluctuations in the internet speed before it even gets to me. A server momentarily slowed down or something.

If I am supposed to be able to get something close to my 24Mbs internet speed even on the wifi, perhaps it is because my router is set to 2.4GHz. I think I read somewhere that the 2.4GHz does not handle the faster speed of the 802.11ac standard. Both my tv and the router are supposed to be able to handle the 802.11ac.

I think I will try to get my router set up for the 5GHz. Especially since I have the tv hard wired to the router at this time. My first call to tech support was to get my tv wifi connected to the router. The tech, kind of talking to himself, said something about the tv looking for 5GHz but the router not being properly set up for that. He just changed everything to 2.4GHz.

I've sent a question to Vizio about why I have two numbers for signal strength. I assume one if for the 2.4GHZ frequency and the other one is for the 5GHz.

I'll see what I can do about getting things to work at 5GHZ.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-06-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I have my router set to 5GHZ and have disabled the 2.4GHZ. I have also gotten my tv wifi to connect to the router at 5GHz.

With the tv connected with an ethernet cable I get 16Mbs to 21Mbs. On occasion it will drop to less than 10Mbs. I get the same download speeds with the tv back in the living room and on wifi. It looks to me that this is about as good as I am going to get. The 21Mbs isn't far off from the 23+Mbs of the pc speed.

Wifi signal strength is -60dBm, -56dBm. The first number, -60, now stays steady, while the second number fluctuates slightly sometimes going to -54.

Unless someone thinks I for sure should be getting my full 23+Mbs even on my wifi, I think I'm all set.

I'll have to watch it for a few days and see if it stays that way. I'm still a little worried about when it gets wet outside again. But, it has occurred to me that when it was wet outside I still got 23+Mbs at the pc, so there should be no reason that my wifi speed should drop if the pc speed doesn't.

Thirty years ago I used to be into electronics and am aware that radio signals can be very tricky. I wasn't too sure we could get my wifi working as well as it is now.

Thanks again folks. You all did a great job.
Harry
post #16 of 16 Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I didn't read every single post in this thread. But sounds like your issue was related to wifi congestion. Hence why changing channels would improve things. I ran into the same issue at my wife's salon. Being in a busy commercial area, with lots of competing networks nearby, the wifi performance was abysmal at first, being unable to break 1mbps with a 50mbps wired connection.

My ultimate solution was to replace router with a tri-band unit, and using two 5ghz networks. I used a smartphone app called "wifi analyzer", which searched all nearby channels, and showed me which were the least congested, and I set the router to use those channels with the two 5ghz networks. The wifi there now consistently maxes out at 50mbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
speed , wi-fi , wi-fi speed , wifi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page