Ripping Blu Ray & DVD to Playback Over Home Network - Solutions? Quality Loss? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ripping Blu Ray & DVD to Playback Over Home Network - Solutions? Quality Loss?

I have a large collection of mostly DVDs and some Blu Ray movies. I would like to rip them onto my desktop computer so that I can play the movies from my computer and get rid of all the clutter created by the physical discs.

I know there are solutions out there in the form of NAS devices and other server equipment. What I am wondering though is if it is possible to accomplish this with just 1 very high end computer hooked up to a home network that my Sony Blu Ray player and AVR are also connected to. My home network is all connected via gigabit switches and a gigabit router, so transfer speed should not be a problem. I would like not to have to purchase new hardware, if possible. I have a lot of storage already on my computer. I am fairly inexperienced in this area. I have done a fair amount of research on my own, but I feel like at this point I need some guidance from someone with experience as there is a lot of information out there on this topic and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at this point.

The other thing I would like is to not loose any noticeable quality in picture or sound (particularly sound as I have noticed Blu Ray discs sound amazing on my system, a lot better than just streaming Netflix or the like, but picture quality is about the same on Blu Ray vs Net Flix (notice, I said ABOUT the same, it is better on Blu Ray, but not that different, where I really notice it is in the sound quality because I have a good powerful sound set up that benefits from all that Blu Ray has to offer in the way of high quality sound).

So first I would like to know, is what I want to accomplish even possible? Second, if yes, then how best to do it? If I need to buy some new hardware, I would like to keep it to a minimum, but best if I don't, even though it means I have to keep my PC on all the time while I watch movies.

edit:
I should add, I have:
Windows 10 operating system on my desktop PC
AVR: Yamaha RX-V677
Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-s6700
Network connections - gigabit Ethernet (I have a wireless router but do not use it in the theater or PC, they are all hardwired through CAT6 Ethernet connections)

Last edited by jocanton; 04-21-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanton View Post
So first I would like to know, is what I want to accomplish even possible? Second, if yes, then how best to do it? If I need to buy some new hardware, I would like to keep it to a minimum, but best if I don't, even though it means I have to keep my PC on all the time while I watch movies.

edit:
I should add, I have:
Windows 10 operating system on my desktop PC
AVR: Yamaha RX-V677
Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-s6700
Network connections - gigabit Ethernet (I have a wireless router but do not use it in the theater or PC, they are all hardwired through CAT6 Ethernet connections)
Yes, it is possible. I use a 2012 imac to rip my Blu-ray and DVD collection and store them on external harddrives.

First, does your PC have a Blu-ray drive? If not, you will need one.

Second, for ripping blu-ray, I use MakeMKV. It is free to use. You will get a lossless quality rip ( .mkv file ) of video and audio. The file size is typically around 30 GB per movie depending on the length of the film ( DVDs will be much smaller ). You can compress the film later if you want to save storage space.

Third, how do you plan to play back the file? On your Sony Blu ray player? You should be able to do that, I believe if your PC is listed as a dlna device, then you should be able to browse the files and play over your network.

Personally, I set up a PLEX media server on my mac, and then use an NVIDIA Shield as a client to browse and playback the files in my media room. This is very slick, and basically creates a Netflix like interface for your personal library.
post #3 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Good point, yes, I do have a blu ray drive on my PC. I was just reading over on the S6700 thread and it sounds like it will list my PC as a dlna device if I set it up right. One person said that TrueHD will only play if I store the files as M2TS containers instead of .mkv. First off, I don't really know what TrueHD is. Do I need that? All I know is I like the sounds that come out of my speakers a lot better when I play straight from a Blu-ray disc versus Netflix streaming. I don't have Dolby Atmos, I just have 7.2 surround with really good woofers and speakers.

post #4 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Good point, yes, I do have a blu ray drive on my PC. I was just reading over on the S6700 thread and it sounds like it will list my PC as a dlna device if I set it up right. One person said that TrueHD will only play if I store the files as M2TS containers instead of .mkv. First off, I don't really know what TrueHD is. Do I need that? All I know is I like the sounds that come out of my speakers a lot better when I play straight from a Blu-ray disc versus Netflix streaming. I don't have Dolby Atmos, I just have 7.2 surround with really good woofers and speakers.
Dolby TrueHD is a lossless audio format. On Blu-ray you will typically see Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA ( another lossless format). As far as I know MKV can contain TrueHD, at least it shows it that way on my AVR when I playback the MKV.
post #5 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I think you are right about MKV can contain TrueHD, but from what I am reading here (see post #158):
Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players
The file has to be saved in a MT2S container (whatever that means...). Is that a compromise or just a different format? meaning is an MT2S a file format that is inferior in some way to MKV files?
nathan_h likes this.
post #6 of 81 Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I think you are right about MKV can contain TrueHD, but from what I am reading here (see post #158):
The file has to be saved in a MT2S container (whatever that means...). Is that a compromise or just a different format? meaning is an MT2S a file format that is inferior in some way to MKV files?
MT2S is the native file container for Blu-ray discs. It is in no way inferior to MKV.
post #7 of 81 Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rp-knight!
post #8 of 81 Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 247
I use MakeMKV to rip everything, including DVD's. There's a project called Automated Ripping Machine that is a headless linux machine that automatically rips and stores every DVD you put in the tray. Audio, video, data, photos, music, movies... whatever. I run my media through this host and then write it out over the network to a disk farm that I built that also runs Plex to serve up all content to all of my various devices.
post #9 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello i recently bought a Yamaha AVR RX-V681 that supports Atmos and DTS-X (of course True HD and DTS-HD MA).I download sometimes mkv file that are in DTS-HD MA or Atmos/True HD and i insert the hard drive to my Samsung BD player 6700.I have the passthrough set to bitstream unprocessed and the file that are in Atmos/True HD show on my tv "audio format not supported" and the files that are in DTS-HD MA they show on amp simple DTS. Does anybody know anything abouty this? Also when i insert Bluray Discs (bought or rented) the True HD and the DTS-HD MA are shown on my amp
Thanks in advance
post #10 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
Yes, it is possible. I use a 2012 imac to rip my Blu-ray and DVD collection and store them on external harddrives.

First, does your PC have a Blu-ray drive? If not, you will need one.

Second, for ripping blu-ray, I use MakeMKV. It is free to use. You will get a lossless quality rip ( .mkv file ) of video and audio. The file size is typically around 30 GB per movie depending on the length of the film ( DVDs will be much smaller ). You can compress the film later if you want to save storage space.

Third, how do you plan to play back the file? On your Sony Blu ray player? You should be able to do that, I believe if your PC is listed as a dlna device, then you should be able to browse the files and play over your network.

Personally, I set up a PLEX media server on my mac, and then use an NVIDIA Shield as a client to browse and playback the files in my media room. This is very slick, and basically creates a Netflix like interface for your personal library.
Does PLEX support 4K videos? I have couple of UHD rips in .MKV format, but can't play them using inbuilt media player on PS4 Pro.
post #11 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubhav Kandpal View Post
Does PLEX support 4K videos? I have couple of UHD rips in .MKV format, but can't play them using inbuilt media player on PS4 Pro.
I don't have any 4K media or displays, so I've never tried, but according to the PLEX website in the FAQ's, it is supported. I didn't see any info for PS4, but there was a mention of XBOX one as long as the media meets the following criteria:

Compatible 4K Media
Native playback of 4K content is supported so long as it meets the following criteria:
Resolution: 4096x2160 or smaller
Video Encoding: H.265 (HEVC; both 8-bit and 10-bit) and mpeg4
The content is being Direct Played
No subtitles are enabled
post #12 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I recommend using Plex Media Server, MakeMKV, and Shield TV (see my thread on Plex here). MakemMKV is the easiest solution for ripping your blu-rays IMO. There is NO loss in quality. The MKV can contain the uncompressed video, HD audio formats, subtitles, and chapters. MKV is simply a container, you can put whatever the heck you want in it. The Plex app on the Shield TV supports every single blu-ray/DVD video, audio, and subtitle format in an MKV container. Nothing needs to be transcoded. It will bitstream HD audio including Atmos. It will also automatically adjust refresh rate to 23.976Hz. It also supports HEVC 4k, so it should be good if we can ever rip UHD blu-rays. Another good software solution for playback is Kodi (which the Shield TV also supports), which supports all of the same blu-ray/DVD formats. Plex is much easier to use though IMO and is designed more for a central server solution. Emby is another server/client solution that is very similar to Plex.

The only pitfall of MakeMKV is while it will ripped forced subtitle tracks, it will not flag them correctly. This means you have to manually turn subtitles on for movies with forced subtitles (see here: Movies with forced subtitles). The alternative is to flag them yourself with an app like MKVToolnix. It's not difficult to do, it just adds an extra step and you have to know which movies have forced subtitles.

Last edited by lockdown571; 06-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
post #13 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Couple of notes...
The Sony Blu-Ray player can stream movies but not full uncompressed MKV files... I have a Sony BDP-S7200 and a Sony BDP-S6200... Neither will stream a full sized MKV file.

The problem is that while there is video, the sound does not come out right, either it is noisy or nothing. Either way, I use MKV to rip the disc and Handbrake to reduce the file size to about 4-5 GB in HQ mode.

I get very little if any image degradation on my JVC projector. I do get some audio degradation using the AAC default but you can still embed the DTS HD Master Audio into the MKV file if you want full audio quality. Adding the DTS HD Master Audio into the file will considerably enlarge file size.

If you have a router with a USB 3.0 port, you should be able to configure an external hard as a DLNA device and stream it from the hard drive when it is attached to the router directly. That way you do not need to keep your PC on.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #14 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Couple of notes...
The Sony Blu-Ray player can stream movies but not full uncompressed MKV files... I have a Sony BDP-S7200 and a Sony BDP-S6200... Neither will stream a full sized MKV file.

The problem is that while there is video, the sound does not come out right, either it is noisy or nothing. Either way, I use MKV to rip the disc and Handbrake to reduce the file size to about 4-5 GB in HQ mode.

I get very little if any image degradation on my JVC projector. I do get some audio degradation using the AAC default but you can still embed the DTS HD Master Audio into the MKV file if you want full audio quality. Adding the DTS HD Master Audio into the file will considerably enlarge file size.

If you have a router with a USB 3.0 port, you should be able to configure an external hard as a DLNA device and stream it from the hard drive when it is attached to the router directly. That way you do not need to keep your PC on.
I haven't experienced this using DLNA to access MKV content. Can you provide more details as to file size, maybe content specifics, type of server, etc? I have a couple of BDPs-350 and S-3700's and those stream just fine using the Plex app from Opera TV as well. I do not pass any of my MKV content through Handbrake - everything is currently uncompressed and lossless although I will be starting to compress content and creating multiple content files for different devices to reduce transcoding needs.
post #15 of 81 Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a NAS with a folder of uncompressed MKV files converted by MakeMKV... I use the Sony players to play the files and the audio is not working. The player recognizes the NAS as a DLNA server. I do not use Plex...

post #16 of 81 Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably not the issue you're having, but I don't recommend using Blu-ray players to stream movie rips because of Cinavia.
SuperFist likes this.
post #17 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Probably not the issue you're having, but I don't recommend using Blu-ray players to stream movie rips because of Cinavia.
Why? I have had no problems on any disc...

post #18 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Why? I have had no problems on any disc...
Because assuming the blu-ray player has properly implemented Cinavia, discs with Cinavia will not play back properly. I believe there are some software solutions designed to remove Cinavia now.
post #19 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Because assuming the blu-ray player has properly implemented Cinavia, discs with Cinavia will not play back properly. I believe there are some software solutions designed to remove Cinavia now.
So, there's an assumption that something was done "properly" that leads you to believe that it might not work properly?

Is there any evidence of issues? I haven't seen a problem either, but would be interested in knowing what sort of data is available on this.
post #20 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
So, there's an assumption that something was done "properly" that leads you to believe that it might not work properly?

Is there any evidence of issues? I haven't seen a problem either, but would be interested in knowing what sort of data is available on this.
There are plenty of players where Cinavia does exactly what it's supposed to do, i.e., prevent you from playing back blu-ray rips. Every single blu-ray player HAS to implement it in some manner (well all those made after February 2012 IIRC). YMMV, and if everything works with your blu-ray player then great! Although a firmware update could "fix" it at any point in time though. If you use a streaming device like the Nvidia Shield, though, you avoid the whole issue completely.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by lockdown571; 06-11-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #21 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
It doesn't have to be in a MT2S. MKV works fine.

I rip with makemkv. I then drop in the file in handbrake and re-encode with H.265. I keep the HD audio track and any forced subtitles I just burn in the image so you don't have issues with sub files.
I did frame by frame comparisons with the original for several discs to arrive at the settings I use now. You can't see a difference from the original disc.
I have plex media server on my PC that stays on 24/7 sharing content both inside and outside my home. No problems at all! I get Dolby True HD, DTS-MA HD, DTS:X and Dolby Atmos and video that looks the same as the original. All between 6.5gb - 10gb.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #22 of 81 Old 06-12-2017, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
If we are talking about ripped disc content streaming than a standalone streamer is better since Cinavia won't be part of it's software. In other words it will ignore it therefore won't be any nasty interruption by it. The new Oppo's for instance now have Cinavia baked into their media players via USB as well not just via disc play, which could actually cause issues if you rip your own Cinavia embedded disc and it could pause with that message when you try it play it back as a stream. It's not about "properly implemented" it's simply about the streamer that is not being Cinavia certified which is what you want. Most of the standalone streamers "ignore" Cinavia and the growing BD players will have it. The 103/105 Oppos only have their disc playing certified with Cinavia so they are OK here, most BD players are like that, but it is changing rapidly.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #23 of 81 Old 06-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
It doesn't have to be in a MT2S. MKV works fine.

I rip with makemkv. I then drop in the file in handbrake and re-encode with H.265. I keep the HD audio track and any forced subtitles I just burn in the image so you don't have issues with sub files.
I did frame by frame comparisons with the original for several discs to arrive at the settings I use now. You can't see a difference from the original disc.
I have plex media server on my PC that stays on 24/7 sharing content both inside and outside my home. No problems at all! I get Dolby True HD, DTS-MA HD, DTS:X and Dolby Atmos and video that looks the same as the original. All between 6.5gb - 10gb.
Any chance you'd share your Handbrake settings? I have a large amount of disk space being consumed by a small percentage of my movies because I ripped them from BluRay into MKV format and have not done any sort of compression on them. I'd like to reduce my storage requirements if possible without losing resolution or audio quality.
post #24 of 81 Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any chance you'd share your Handbrake settings? I have a large amount of disk space being consumed by a small percentage of my movies because I ripped them from BluRay into MKV format and have not done any sort of compression on them. I'd like to reduce my storage requirements if possible without losing resolution or audio quality.
Handbrake settings vary depending on the quality of the original disc... I like to use the HQ mode in it's default video settings... I change the audio to 5.1 AAC @ 1536. This will give you a file size of about 5-8 GB...

Last edited by Jon S; 06-14-2017 at 09:58 AM.
post #25 of 81 Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Handbrake has many presets. I start with the H.265 1080p30. And then the only thing I change is the video tab. Video codec is h.265. Framerate is same as source with variable framerate checked. Encoder preset at medium. Encoder tune: none, encoder profile: auto
Constant quality I have at 18 for the stuff I care about. I'll change it to 20 or even 22 for DVD's or animation. Sometimes comedies. But mostly it stays at 18.

Set the destination wherever you want it saved and what you want it saved as. I save mine in the drive I rip to. Upon completion I make sure all is well with the file before deleting the original and moving it over to my movie storage.

On the audio tab I leave codec as auto passthru. This just takes the HD audio track I rip in makemkv and adds it to the final MKV untouched.

Next is the subtitles tab. I have makemkv rip english forced subtitles ONLY. If there is one you'll see it here. If there isn't one then you won't see it here. If it does show up then I check burn in. It becomes part of the image and you don't have to deal with compatibility issues with subtitle files.

I save all that as my default so I don't have to set it up every time.

There's a ton of other settings you can tweak but I find these result in a file that is identical to the original. I compare frame by frame on a color turned 34" monitor and I watch the files on a 145" 1080p projector as well as a 65" OLED. I can also compare streams on my nvidia shield tv to my oppo 203(streaming on both) or compare disc playback on the oppo to my nvidia shield and just flip between inputs. I did a lot of work to come up with settings that I feel are perfect.
Witchboard likes this.

Streaming Devices: Nvidia Shield TV, 2x Roku 3's, 1st and 2nd gen chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick 2nd gen, Apple TV 4, xbox 360, xbox one
Displays: Vizio M602i-B3, LG OLED65B6, panasonic ax100u on a 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 40" Samsung(don't recall model #)
Receivers: Denon X3300, Yamaha RX-V663. Bluray/UHD player: Oppo UDP-203
Retired - HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver
post #26 of 81 Old 06-15-2017, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I use MakeMKV to rip everything, including DVD's. There's a project called Automated Ripping Machine that is a headless linux machine that automatically rips and stores every DVD you put in the tray. Audio, video, data, photos, music, movies... whatever. I run my media through this host and then write it out over the network to a disk farm that I built that also runs Plex to serve up all content to all of my various devices.
How do you deal with playlist obfuscation and forced subs? I end up playing the disc on my PC with Process Monitor running to find the right playlist, then ripping that playlist with MakeMKV and then editing the headers with MKVToolsNix to set the forced subs flag (where applicable) and to apply names to the soundtrack files where needed (Track 1 is not very informative).

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #27 of 81 Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I recommend using Plex Media Server, MakeMKV, and Shield TV (see my thread on Plex here). MakemMKV is the easiest solution for ripping your blu-rays IMO. There is NO loss in quality. The MKV can contain the uncompressed video, HD audio formats, subtitles, and chapters. MKV is simply a container, you can put whatever the heck you want in it. The Plex app on the Shield TV supports every single blu-ray/DVD video, audio, and subtitle format in an MKV container. Nothing needs to be transcoded. It will bitstream HD audio including Atmos. It will also automatically adjust refresh rate to 23.976Hz. It also supports HEVC 4k, so it should be good if we can ever rip UHD blu-rays. Another good software solution for playback is Kodi (which the Shield TV also supports), which supports all of the same blu-ray/DVD formats. Plex is much easier to use though IMO and is designed more for a central server solution. Emby is another server/client solution that is very similar to Plex.

The only pitfall of MakeMKV is while it will ripped forced subtitle tracks, it will not flag them correctly. This means you have to manually turn subtitles on for movies with forced subtitles (see here: Movies with forced subtitles). The alternative is to flag them yourself with an app like MKVToolnix. It's not difficult to do, it just adds an extra step and you have to know which movies have forced subtitles.
The Shield is definitely the simplest solution, especially if you want one box that can also handle all of your other streaming services. The other alternative is to use something like a Wetek Hub or an Intel NUC and run Plex Media Player, OpenPHT, Kodi with PlexKodiConnect or Kodi with Plex for Kodi.

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #28 of 81 Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
How do you deal with playlist obfuscation and forced subs? I end up playing the disc on my PC with Process Monitor running to find the right playlist, then ripping that playlist with MakeMKV and then editing the headers with MKVToolsNix to set the forced subs flag (where applicable) and to apply names to the soundtrack files where needed (Track 1 is not very informative).
The various "Titles" have different lengths to them. I accept nothing shorter than 30 minutes and well over 90% of the time there is only one Title that ends up ripping (and it's the main movie). As far as audio, I do absolutely nothing. And I block subtitles when and where I can. I have no interest in them and they just add to file size.

If there's an issue with a particular disc, you have the option of flipping over to Handbrake to do the rip and leveraging its functionality to try and identify the main title itself and then rip only that. Takes a LOT longer to rip a disc, but it does work.
post #29 of 81 Old 06-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The various "Titles" have different lengths to them. I accept nothing shorter than 30 minutes and well over 90% of the time there is only one Title that ends up ripping (and it's the main movie). As far as audio, I do absolutely nothing. And I block subtitles when and where I can. I have no interest in them and they just add to file size.

If there's an issue with a particular disc, you have the option of flipping over to Handbrake to do the rip and leveraging its functionality to try and identify the main title itself and then rip only that. Takes a LOT longer to rip a disc, but it does work.
It depends on the disc. These guys are getting more clever. Sometimes there are three or four versions of the main title that are either the same length or within a second of each other. Disney is one of the worst offenders for making this stuff difficult. The process monitor trick is the only way I know to correctly distinguish between the available titles under that circumstance.

Subtitles are an issue only when they are forced. You don't want to drop those and you do want them to play in Plex automatically. The only way to make that work is to make sure the metadata in the mkv file is correctly flagging the forced subs. Sometimes this is easy to do, because of the way the subtitle tracks are named. Sometimes, the only way to figure out which set is the forced set is to play the movie in something like VLC and switch between the different subtitles.

post #30 of 81 Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
It depends on the disc. These guys are getting more clever. Sometimes there are three or four versions of the main title that are either the same length or within a second of each other. Disney is one of the worst offenders for making this stuff difficult. The process monitor trick is the only way I know to correctly distinguish between the available titles under that circumstance.

Subtitles are an issue only when they are forced. You don't want to drop those and you do want them to play in Plex automatically. The only way to make that work is to make sure the metadata in the mkv file is correctly flagging the forced subs. Sometimes this is easy to do, because of the way the subtitle tracks are named. Sometimes, the only way to figure out which set is the forced set is to play the movie in something like VLC and switch between the different subtitles.
And what is the "trick" you are referring to?

I block subtitles at every turn and I've never had an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page