Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Media Player advise needed

Hi guys,

I have a question. I m looking for a media player:

- No netflix, tv etc needed
- Only need .m2ts, .mkv and .iso playback (don t care about blu ray menu)
- Need option to connect my external USB 3.0 device on it
- Prefer XBMC support but if not, another decent movie/series library browser with the iMDB movie scraper
- HDMI 1.4 is enough for me
- Want TrueHD and DTS-HD passtrough via HDMI
- decent 23,976fps support
- a HTPC is ruled out

Not other requirements needed

Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looked at a lot of options and finally decided on Amazon Fire TV (box, not the stick) with Kodi sideloaded. It's 4K capable and has been able to play everything I have thrown at it (BluRay ISOs included). I have several of them. As far as portable storage, when traveling I use a router with a USB port and an external USB drive and use Kodi to access the content. At home everything is played off of a QNAP TS-431+ NAS.

Last edited by ronhender; 07-17-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Add detail
post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don't think the FireTV can passthrough lossless audio.

Based on the OPs requirements, its sounds like an Odroid C2 or some other S905 device running LibreELEC would give everything needed at the lowest cost.

Vizio P55-C1 | Denon AVR-X1200W
[5] DefTech ProMonitor 1000s | ProCenter 2000 | SR-8040BPs
[.1] SVS PB1000 [.2] Micca R-8C

post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I think the Nvidia Shield will do everything you want, but it isn't cheap. I have one and I know that it works with usb 3.0 HDs, plays mkvs, supports Kodi, and supports lossless audio passthrough over HDMI. I haven't tried iso files myself so I'm not sure about those.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would go with the Odroid C2 previously mentioned.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This is the one most recommend here in Australia, available through Banggood.com

Xiaomi Mi Box Amlogic S905X 2GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box - International Version AU$90.60
post #7 of 15 Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfatherip View Post
I think the Nvidia Shield will do everything you want, but it isn't cheap. I have one and I know that it works with usb 3.0 HDs, plays mkvs, supports Kodi, and supports lossless audio passthrough over HDMI. I haven't tried iso files myself so I'm not sure about those.
I have similar requirements for a media player as the OP and I'm considering the Nvidia Shield. My only reasons for hesitating are that I don't need the additional expense of a game controller and from what I've heard there's no way to set the Shield to pass-through the video at the original resolution. I would prefer to have my TV (4k Sony) do the upconverting.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all input guys. I think you misread my starting post. I do not need netflix support etc. All I am looking for is a device that meets my requirements. Please read my starting post again and advise me. I was thinking you guys would come up with maybe a dune or popcorn hour or mede8er or something.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
Thanks for all input guys. I think you misread my starting post. I do not need netflix support etc. All I am looking for is a device that meets my requirements. Please read my starting post again and advise me. I was thinking you guys would come up with maybe a dune or popcorn hour or mede8er or something.
Like you, I'm just looking for a box that will take files from an attached USB drive and pass through video to my 4k tv without up-converting it, and to pass-through HD audio to my A/V receiver. If you're considering anything running Android make sure you research the difference between an "Android" box and an "Android TV" box. If you plan to use XBMC (now called Kodi) I don't think you get HD audio support unless it's an Android TV box. (anyone here correct me if I'm wrong.) The cheap Chinese boxes are almost all just Android, while the Nvidia Shield and a couple of others are Android TV.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked: 4298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul37 View Post
Like you, I'm just looking for a box that will take files from an attached USB drive and pass through video to my 4k tv without up-converting it, and to pass-through HD audio to my A/V receiver. If you're considering anything running Android make sure you research the difference between an "Android" box and an "Android TV" box. If you plan to use XBMC (now called Kodi) I don't think you get HD audio support unless it's an Android TV box. (anyone here correct me if I'm wrong.) The cheap Chinese boxes are almost all just Android, while the Nvidia Shield and a couple of others are Android TV.

You don't need Android TV to get HD Audio. Kodi has supported HD Audio on Android for a little while now.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-28-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You don't need Android TV to get HD Audio. Kodi has supported HD Audio on Android for a little while now.
From the Kodi website:
Kodi 17.0 is now standards-compliant with Android’s official Audio API and requires Android 5.0 or higher as the minimum version. DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby ATMOS passthrough are now supported on devices that implement AudioTrack v23 or higher. Devices with firmware that does not follow this standard will not support passthrough.

My understanding is that the cheap Chinese boxes don't have AudioTrack v23 implemented in their firmware, but the boxes running Android TV do. If you have it working I'd be interested in what hardware you're using and which version of Kodi. Also, are you sure you're talking about HD audio, and not just DD and DTS?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-28-2017, 05:38 AM

@Paul37 I'm sure there are many available now. It also depends on how you define "cheap Chinese boxes". HD Audio since Kodi 16.x has been available depending on the chipset the device uses. I personally use a Wetek Hub (temporary device) and it does output HD Audio (TrueHD/DTSMasterHD) via the ISOs I have in my collection.

I would suggest tasking a look at the Kodi forums as they are a great source of information (you'll even see some members from AVS there).

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
post #13 of 15 Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
@Paul37 I'm sure there are many available now. It also depends on how you define "cheap Chinese boxes". HD Audio since Kodi 16.x has been available depending on the chipset the device uses. I personally use a Wetek Hub (temporary device) and it does output HD Audio (TrueHD/DTSMasterHD) via the ISOs I have in my collection.

I would suggest tasking a look at the Kodi forums as they are a great source of information (you'll even see some members from AVS there).

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
@Ph8te Thanks for the suggestion to look at the Kodi forums. The information at the link you provided would probably be of help to the OP as well.
If your Wetek Hub is a temporary device, have you decided what your next option will be?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul37 View Post
@Ph8te Thanks for the suggestion to look at the Kodi forums. The information at the link you provided would probably be of help to the OP as well.
If your Wetek Hub is a temporary device, have you decided what your next option will be?

Not yet, waiting for Kodi 18 which will be "the beginning" of BDJava support (it's in testing now). I'm in no real rush as the Hub serves most of my needs. The next player I get id like to be DV/HDR10+ capable and be able to do BDJava menus (currently I can see non Java almost every time). I'm not huge in need of app support, but Kodi has been great for local media management (moved from an A400).

The one caveat with the Hub is that sometimes the firmware can cause issues (I check their forums before installing anything). This can mean it needs a clean install to upgrade (not a fan). With so many options I am hoping to see something next year sometimes that meets my minimum goals.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page