Transcoding from QNAP to kodi - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2017, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Transcoding from QNAP to kodi

I currently have a QNAP TS-431+ in the basement. It has a 10TB raid5 volume work media on it It's connected to a switch, which is connected to a D-Link DHP-600AV power line adapter. The second adapter is upstairs and connects to the router via Ethernet.

Upstairs I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running kodi, which is connected to the router via Ethernet. I am having an issue streaming about half my media over the network. It seems like anything higher than 8,000 kb/s causes the video to studder and stall. I am not sure if this is a network (most likely), or a Pi3 issue.

Rather than buy more expensive power line adapters, or moving the nas upstairs so that it plugs into the router directly, I was wondering if transcoding the video on the nas before being sent to kodi would alleviate the problem. And it it would, the best app on the qnap to do so.

New power line adapters would be great, but they aren't cheap, and I don't know if any could handle Blu-ray level bitrates (20.3 mb/s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Power line adapters are a last resort. That is probably your issue. See if you can run a MoCA network instead, but obviously running an Ethernet line would be the best.

With your current setup you would need to run Plex server on the QNAP and either Plex on the Pi or one of the Plex Kodi add-ons. That would allow you to transcode on the fly as needed.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Once I looked up that that it was a 600AV adapter, I was pretty sure that was the issue.

A MoCA network doesn't seem feasible. The cable wire is at the opposite end up the floor from the router upstairs, and I don't think there is even a cable in the downstairs area where the NAS and the other fun stuff is. It would be easier drilling through the floor to run an Ethernet cable, which is something I wanted to avoid doing in the first place, hence the power line adapter.

I'll give Plex on the NAS and the Plex add-on for kodi a try. Hopefully it works because I don't want to have to run an Ethernet cable through the floor or move the NAS upstairs, I already have enough things in the living room

EDIT: And I see that Plex for kodi is a beta for Plex Pass subscribers

EDIT 2: I see the QNAP has a Media Streaming Add-on. Maybe that is the solution that will work. If not, I may have to drill.

EDIT 3: My friend told me that the QNAP supports Wifi, so I will try that before anything else.

Last edited by eday_2010; 08-02-2017 at 07:57 AM.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 645
PlexKodiConnect should work without Plex Pass.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 303
My guess it's the QNAP... The QNAP 431+ has an ARM processor which is pretty weak. I had a similar issue with a WD MyCloud NAS. When the file size was small, i had no issues. But larger video files over two GB in size would stutter when displaying complex images. I don't know why this would be the case since it was only streaming videos and not transcoding.

I upgraded to a QNAP TS-453 Pro with a quad-core 2.0 GHz Celeron processor and all my problems went away.

You might want to try and stream the videos using the DLNA client. Most Smart TVs and newer Blu-Ray players support DLNA. You will need to install the QNAP Streaming add-on and Codex apps in order to use DLNA.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
My guess it's the QNAP... The QNAP 431+ has an ARM processor which is pretty weak. I had a similar issue with a WD MyCloud NAS. When the file size was small, i had no issues. But larger video files over two GB in size would stutter when displaying complex images. I don't know why this would be the case since it was only streaming videos and not transcoding.

I upgraded to a QNAP TS-453 Pro with a quad-core 2.0 GHz Celeron processor and all my problems went away.

You might want to try and stream the videos using the DLNA client. Most Smart TVs and newer Blu-Ray players support DLNA. You will need to install the QNAP Streaming add-on and Codex apps in order to use DLNA.
It was the powerline adapters. I ended up running a CAT6 cable down to the basement, and now I can stream everything from the QNAP to my Pi3 with kodi, including 20mb/s videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page