Amazon Echo Dot Networked Bluetooth Audio Player Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 08-07-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6599 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Amazon Echo Dot Networked Bluetooth Audio Player Hands-On

Few audio accessories have opened my eyes to a paradigm shift quite like the Amazon Echo Dot. This is the least-expensive Alexa-enabled audio device Amazon sells, with an MSRP of $50. And while its connectivity is limited to 3.5mm analog stereo or Bluetooth stereo, what it brings to the table in terms of convenience is hard to ignore.

I have not had the chance to give the Echo Dot a proper evaluation, but in casual use I have found it is reasonably responsive and accurate. Sure, there are some instances where it amusingly misconstrues what I'm asking for and I have to yell "Alexa, stop!" But most of the time, the Echo Dot has served as a handy streaming companion that grants effortless access to an inexpensive (to subscribe to) yet vast library of tunes through Amazon Music.

I'm not sure how much fidelity I'm giving up by choosing to stream through the echoed office, but I do know that in the applications where I have used it, ultimate fidelity is not the primary concern.

Anyhow, I'm hooked on voice search and voice control. That's the lesson I learned by buying one Echo Dot.

More to come...

-----
The AVS Forum Hands-On Review Process (master list of hands-on threads)

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-14-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 89
If you're not aware, the Echo can stream more than just Amazon music (Spotify, Pandora, etc). The Alexa app on a tablet/phone will allow you to choose your default music library and station service. They're also working on Sonos integration as well.

Echo works great with home automation products too (Philips Hue, Harmony remotes, etc.).
imagic likes this.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-09-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Trust me, you are only scratching the surface....the Dot and Echos can do so much more than just play music, even though music is probably my favorite thing to do with them....
One thing I discovered...the dot is the best alarm clock I ever owned. I don't always get up at the same time everyday. Being able to climb into bed and say 'alexa, set an alarm for 7 am' is fantastic. Then when it goes off 'alexa, stop'. All hands free.
As I climb out of bed, I say 'alexa, whats up' and it tells the date, the weather report, and usually a fun fact for the day. Then I usually ask for my sports update, then tell it to play music. It has access to many music services as posted above, but I usually use Pandora or I ask for my preferred local station, 107.3 the eagle, and it finds and plays that through tune-in.
I have most of my lights through a hue hub and tell it to turn on the livingroom lights. When I'm watching tv I usually tell it to dim the livingroom lights to 40%.
I also have a Honeywell thermostat and its nice to tell it to turn the temp up or down 1 or 2 degrees as needed.

A couple new things recently added:
If you have multiple dots/echos you can use them as intercoms to call each room they are in.
Or you can use them to call a friend who also has one house to house all touchless.
And the newest big feature...they now can control fire tv or fire tv stick media streamers by voice.

If you get a chance the reddit amazon echo forum is pretty good.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2

post #4 of 38 Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
Trust me, you are only scratching the surface....the Dot and Echos can do so much more than just play music, even though music is probably my favorite thing to do with them....
One thing I discovered...the dot is the best alarm clock I ever owned. I don't always get up at the same time everyday. Being able to climb into bed and say 'alexa, set an alarm for 7 am' is fantastic. Then when it goes off 'alexa, stop'. All hands free.
As I climb out of bed, I say 'alexa, whats up' and it tells the date, the weather report, and usually a fun fact for the day. Then I usually ask for my sports update, then tell it to play music. It has access to many music services as posted above, but I usually use Pandora or I ask for my preferred local station, 107.3 the eagle, and it finds and plays that through tune-in.
I have most of my lights through a hue hub and tell it to turn on the livingroom lights. When I'm watching tv I usually tell it to dim the livingroom lights to 40%.
I also have a Honeywell thermostat and its nice to tell it to turn the temp up or down 1 or 2 degrees as needed.

A couple new things recently added:
If you have multiple dots/echos you can use them as intercoms to call each room they are in.
Or you can use them to call a friend who also has one house to house all touchless.
And the newest big feature...they now can control fire tv or fire tv stick media streamers by voice.

If you get a chance the reddit amazon echo forum is pretty good.
Oh... I get that there's a ton more to do (and I use it in that capacity). I have Hue too, and using Alexa for reminders is great. Yes, I ask about weather too. But... music is the angle that justifies writing about it/blogging about it here. Looking forward to learning more, and following where this awesome twist on modern computing takes us.

I've been using speech recognition to write for years (Dragon Naturally Speaking) so my take is it's about time this tech goes mainstream.

post #5 of 38 Old 08-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Multi-room audio looks to be the next big change to Echo. This has been really my only critique, so adding this capability is fantastic.
dan4081 likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-09-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 949
I've been wanting to pick up a Dot. I have an original Echo right now, and while I love the device's capabilities, the sound quality from the built-in speaker leaves a lot to be desired. I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8s that have been busy gathering dust in a closet since I upgraded form those to my Elac Uni-Fis, I bet those would make a nice bedroom sound system paired up to the Dot.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #7 of 38 Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogday View Post
Multi-room audio looks to be the next big change to Echo. This has been really my only critique, so adding this capability is fantastic.
Multi room audio on the echos/dots is the big feature most everyone is waiting and hoping for.
Keeping my fingers crossed...........
imagic likes this.

post #8 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I'm still waiting on the telephone anyone anywhere service.

* Still need to pay for 911 service.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #9 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Multi room audio on the echos/dots is the big feature most everyone is waiting and hoping for.
Keeping my fingers crossed...........
No kidding. Thus far, Sonos has been untouchable in terms of market share, but the moment that happens...

Edit... OK it happened.

Last edited by imagic; 08-30-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If anyone is still following this thread, multiroom audio is now working on Echo's.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-lau...ack-for-alexa/

Last edited by dan4081; 08-30-2017 at 06:45 PM.
post #11 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
If anyone is still following this thread, multiroom audio is now working on Echo's.

Figures the Whole Foods thing would be concurrent to that. Cool.
vn800art likes this.

post #12 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Heres the official Echo multiroom help page:

https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.h...node/202108910

post #13 of 38 Old 08-30-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

I just posted an article about this new multi-room capability. Follow this link to read more: Amazon Adds Multi-Room Capability to Echo Devices
dan4081 likes this.

post #14 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The unfortunate part is that it uses Bluetooth to connect to each other, which means that if you have a Bluetooth speaker connected to any of them it gets disconnected and you're stuck with the internal speaker.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Talk about a device that I love. It is updated on what feels like a daily basis with new features. Like some other comments, I use my Echo's for a lot more than music: Lights, Turning on my home theater, setting the thermostat, Ring doorbell.
post #16 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Make it con troll my new Denon receiver and I'm happy. Otherwise I can wait to get one.

Or does it integrate well?

Denon 4300 receiver, dual 18" ported (DIY) subs. All Infinity speaker setup (SM line which is SM-122 up front an SM-82 in the rear and ceiling) along with a center channel that I can't recall the model number of (not SM line but maybe I should swap it out). Xbox One S source for Blu Ray and 4K blu Ray. Sony XBR850B.
post #17 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh227 View Post
Make it con troll my new Denon receiver and I'm happy. Otherwise I can wait to get one.

Or does it integrate well?
Amazon noted that Sound United is among the companies that it is working with. Sound United owns Denon, Marantz, Polk and Definitive Technology.

post #18 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Alexa, Turn on a Movie.....Projector on, receiver on, dvd player on, all set to the right setting...alexa turn out the light...done...watch movie...

I use this in my home theater right now and there is nothing like walking into the room and just saying the above and then settling in to watch a movie, tv , xbox ...

Then when I pick up my Harmony remote it has done all the work and is ready to go...

Love this device.

After the movie,
Alexa turn off movie..click click click..all off
Alexa turn on the light...
As I am walking out of the room..
Alexa turn off the light...

Done.

I have Sonus in the house as well and I can't wait for those two to start working together...
retro124 likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stephens 2 View Post
Alexa, Turn on a Movie.....Projector on, receiver on, dvd player on, all set to the right setting...alexa turn out the light...done...watch movie...

I use this in my home theater right now and there is nothing like walking into the room and just saying the above and then settling in to watch a movie, tv , xbox ...

Then when I pick up my Harmony remote it has done all the work and is ready to go...

Love this device.

After the movie,

Done.

I have Sonus in the house as well and I can't wait for those two to start working together...

That is what I'm looking for!!! It is why I just bought Echo and Harmony Elite with hub to replace my old Harmony One.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
post #20 of 38 Old 08-31-2017, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Yamaha announced musicast integration with Alexa due in October. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
nathanddrews likes this.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #21 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I sent this feedback to amazon:

Quote:
I am very, VERY EXTREMELY disappointed in the lack of Bluetooth capability with the Group music.

Not pleased with the lack of support with the Tap in this mode too. NOT AT ALL.

I'd like the portable speaker to work on the other side of the pool and have connectivity to Bluetooth Audio with the Soundbar on the Patio but NEITHER WORKS in this mode. LAME!! As it is now, to have the music heard on the other side of the pool or at the BBQ area, the Bluetooth on the Patio has to be unbearably loud on the Patio such that people cannot be near it at all.

Furthermore, the inability to include subsets of speakers overlapping in different groups is terrible.
All of this is pushing me towards dumping all the amazon alexa devices on eBay and getting Google Home.

FIX THIS.
HORRIBLE!
They responded with an email to open a chat session with them. In the session they told me, "We're working on it and on Spotify and SiriusXM." Vaporware or real??

post #22 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Stephens 2 View Post

Love this device.

After the movie,

Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
That is what I'm looking for!!! It is why I just bought Echo and Harmony Elite with hub to replace my old Harmony One.
I'm doing this now with VeraPlus Devices and Scenes with Alexa integration into Vera.

Last edited by Sammy2; 09-01-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #23 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post
The unfortunate part is that it uses Bluetooth to connect to each other, which means that if you have a Bluetooth speaker connected to any of them it gets disconnected and you're stuck with the internal speaker.
Are you sure? Mine are so far apart from each other with a lot of walls in between it seems unlikely that it is Bluetooth but rather WiFi but what do I know?

Dots are horrible speakers not worthy of listening to music through.

post #24 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a half dozen different echo's in my home and now I'm deploying two echo shows. One of the dots has a dedicated stereo cable connected to a bad a$$ stereo (NOT connected with Bluetooth!) with some great bookshelf speakers. My electronic girl friend 'Alexa' plays all my amazon music in really great fidelity with my voice command. My wife is jealous. She also turns on & off all of my Insteon controlled lights as well as brightens and dims most of them. These are the two coolest tasks that my electronic girl friend does. I have been waiting for Alexa to be invented for 50 years. When I was 10 years old (50 years ago) I though that Rosie the robot on the Jetsons TV show was cool. I never thought in my lifetime that I would actually have Rosie the robot actually living in my home and performing tasks with my voice command. Alexa is the closest thing to Rosie the robot and she drives my wife crazy with jealousy. I love it!! --Greg--
vn800art likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Ca View Post
I have a half dozen different echo's in my home and now I'm deploying two echo shows. One of the dots has a dedicated stereo cable connected to a bad a$$ stereo (NOT connected with Bluetooth!) with some great bookshelf speakers. My electronic girl friend 'Alexa' plays all my amazon music in really great fidelity with my voice command. My wife is jealous. She also turns on & off all of my Insteon controlled lights as well as brightens and dims most of them. These are the two coolest tasks that my electronic girl friend does. I have been waiting for Alexa to be invented for 50 years. When I was 10 years old (50 years ago) I though that Rosie the robot on the Jetsons TV show was cool. I never thought in my lifetime that I would actually have Rosie the robot actually living in my home and performing tasks with my voice command. Alexa is the closest thing to Rosie the robot and she drives my wife crazy with jealousy. I love it!! --Greg--
What cable are you using to connect the Dot to your AVR? I tried a 3.5mm to RCA and got a terrible hum like there was a Ohm mis-match.

The only input other than Bluetooth (TV is using the optical input) on the Soundbar on my back patio is a USB input. Is there a way to go from Dot to USB?

Still doesn't solve the issue with Tap though.

TIA

post #26 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I connected my dot to my Denon via Bluetooth. Tell Alexa to connect my speaker and it automatically turns on the Denon and switches to the Bluetooth source. Pretty awesome. I'm looking into creating scripts for SmartThings to have Alexa do other Denon commands via telnet, but I've just started researching it.
post #27 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchboard View Post
I connected my dot to my Denon via Bluetooth. Tell Alexa to connect my speaker and it automatically turns on the Denon and switches to the Bluetooth source. Pretty awesome. I'm looking into creating scripts for SmartThings to have Alexa do other Denon commands via telnet, but I've just started researching it.
Currently (Maybe always?) Dot will not work in Group Music Mode when connected to Bluetooth.

post #28 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
What cable are you using to connect the Dot to your AVR? I tried a 3.5mm to RCA and got a terrible hum like there was a Ohm mis-match.

The only input other than Bluetooth (TV is using the optical input) on the Soundbar on my back patio is a USB input. Is there a way to go from Dot to USB?

Still doesn't solve the issue with Tap though.

TIA
No hum what so ever. Using 3 foot $10.00 gold plated cable that I also bought from amazon that has RCA's on one end and a mini jack on the other. It works perfect. Make sure that the 120VAC power receptacle
for the dot and the stereo is the same. You shouldn't have a hum. The stereo is COMPLEATLY silent until I wake up my electronic girl friend by saying the word 'Alexa" . Then she blasts through the bookshelf speakers. Set Alexa to volume 10 then set the stereo's volume to the maximum that you would ever want Alexa to be. I usually have Alexa's volume at level 6 or 7 but could crake it up to ten by merely giving Alexa a command to 'Crank it up'. Totally bada$$!!.Don't use USB, Bluetooth or anything else. It's low tech and works perfectly when you get the bugs out.
post #29 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Ca View Post
No hum what so ever. Using 3 foot $10.00 gold plated cable that I also bought from amazon that has RCA's on one end and a mini jack on the other. It works perfect. Make sure that the 120VAC power receptacle
for the dot and the stereo is the same. You shouldn't have a hum. The stereo is COMPLEATLY silent until I wake up my electronic girl friend by saying the word 'Alexa" . Then she blasts through the bookshelf speakers. Set Alexa to volume 10 then set the stereo's volume to the maximum that you would ever want Alexa to be. I usually have Alexa's volume at level 6 or 7 but could crake it up to ten by merely giving Alexa a command to 'Crank it up'. Totally bada$$!!.Don't use USB, Bluetooth or anything else. It's low tech and works perfectly when you get the bugs out.
Can you provide a link to the cable please?

Guess I'm SOL on hooking up the soundbar unless there's some sort of toslink splitter AND 3.5mm to toslink adaptor available.

Thanks.

post #30 of 38 Old 09-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Currently (Maybe always?) Dot will not work in Group Music Mode when connected to Bluetooth.
I guess you could always connect the 3.5mm jack to an external Bluetooth transmitter and connect that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
alexa , amazon echo dot , amazon music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page