Building a house.. how do I make sure my network is set up properly?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Building a house.. how do I make sure my network is set up properly??

I decided to try to run Cat6 to a number of rooms since the walls are still open but had a couple questions on what I need to do. Do I have everything (Cat5, Coaxial, and Cat6) run from outside to a networking panel where the switch and router are and then to the rooms I want to be networked? Is it that simple or is there something else I need to consider? What's the best way to do this? I was simply going to run a bunch of cat6 from the panel to all the rooms for the time being...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Central location to each room. I'd suggest two CAT6 drops to each room. These can double as phone, IR, or HDMI as well.

If you are doing this yourself then buy two rolls of two colors so you can pull both at once. I simply taped them together and wrote the room on the central location end.

You can add coax to the bundle and pull all three at one time. I personally have no need for coax except for my subwoofer, but I ran it anyway since I got a free roll.

Then you get a bunch of keystone jacks and keystone wall plates. Get a punch down panel for the central location. Use patch cables between the jacks and panel to the switch and devices. Do not crimp your own cables... Only punch down to the ends of the runs. It is simply not worth the time and trouble crimping. Get a bunch of patch cables from Amazon or Monoprice.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 193
5 years from now, will there be wired? Don't worry about it in a drywall house. I have lath and plaster and finally get good coverage in the whole house.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Central location to each room. I'd suggest two CAT6 drops to each room. These can double as phone, IR, or HDMI as well.

If you are doing this yourself then buy two rolls of two colors so you can pull both at once. I simply taped them together and wrote the room on the central location end.

You can add coax to the bundle and pull all three at one time. I personally have no need for coax except for my subwoofer, but I ran it anyway since I got a free roll.

Then you get a bunch of keystone jacks and keystone wall plates. Get a punch down panel for the central location. Use patch cables between the jacks and panel to the switch and devices. Do not crimp your own cables... Only punch down to the ends of the runs. It is simply not worth the time and trouble crimping. Get a bunch of patch cables from Amazon or Monoprice.
So the builder ran cat5 for phones.. why would he have not run cat6? Says cat6 on the contract... assuming I need to run cat6 in addition to the 5? My sub uses an RCA jack so I was going to run a 30'... I didn't realize they ran coaxial for subs?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinhobo View Post
So the builder ran cat5 for phones.. why would he have not run cat6? Says cat6 on the contract... assuming I need to run cat6 in addition to the 5? My sub uses an RCA jack so I was going to run a 30'... I didn't realize they ran coaxial for subs?
Cat5 is fine for phones, but who needs phone lines anymore? For gigabit Ethernet you'd want at least CAT5e.

RCA cable is what connects to the sub. I've just found it easier to terminate coax and use a coax to RCA keystone adapter.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cat5 is fine for phones, but who needs phone lines anymore? For gigabit Ethernet you'd want at least CAT5e.

RCA cable is what connects to the sub. I've just found it easier to terminate coax and use a coax to RCA keystone adapter.
Sorry it is Cat5e. So running Cat5e from the outside to the network panel is fine? Do you run Cat 6e from the network panel to everything else? Why not run Cat 6e everywhere including from outside or Cat 5e everywhere?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It isn't CAT6e. CAT5e can do gigabit just fine. I just used CAT6 when I finished my basement and other rooms. If you have plans on exceeding gigabit then you should do more research.

As long as you are doing home runs and not serial then you will be fine. I'd just like to have two runs to each box. You get a PC connected and then realized you want an Ethernet connected printer. Or a Smart TV and then a streaming box or game console.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
It isn't CAT6e. CAT5e can do gigabit just fine. I just used CAT6 when I finished my basement and other rooms. If you have plans on exceeding gigabit then you should do more research.

As long as you are doing home runs and not serial then you will be fine. I'd just like to have two runs to each box. You get a PC connected and then realized you want an Ethernet connected printer. Or a Smart TV and then a streaming box or game console.
I feel you on the printer. I ran a lot of runs to each room of my house while we were building it, but one thing I didn't do was put runs on parallel walls. As a result, in my office, I have to either run a long wire around the room's perimeter (and under the carpet by the closet if I don't want to see/trip over it) from the jack to connect the printer, or just run it wifi; I choose the latter.

So, to the original poster -- you may want to think about where gear could end up in the room and how you'll get wires to it which may lead you to put some drops on multiple walls. I wish I thought a bit more about it when my walls were open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page