Using Roku & xfinity app on TV OUTSIDE of service address - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using Roku & xfinity app on TV OUTSIDE of service address

I bought a Roku and wanted to use it with the xfinity app to stream live TV. Hitch is, I want to do this outside of the address where xfinity is in use and after I set up the Roku I realized that it will only stream when used inside the service address.

I keep hearing about setting up a VPN to get around this limitation. Is this true? I don't believe the xfinity router has any VPN capability but I do have a bunch of checkpoint routers that I could use to set up a VPN back to the xfinity service address. I guess I'd have to set up some specific "routes" to force traffic coming from the Roku box to go across the VPN?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this, and if so, could you point me in the right direction. Doing what I mentioned above will take a bunch of time, and if I know that it would work, I'd feel better about starting in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

Roveer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-08-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 40
We have a Comcast (CC) acct. in one place and are able to access/stream a fair number of channels by using a Roku and accessing some channels like TBS, TNN, TNT, Com Cen etc. Other channels can be accessed directly via the channel's own app - like HBOGO, watchESPN, TCM, AMC, etc. Most of the time, the first time (and sometimes periodically after that) you will be prompted, on screen, to go to your PC and log into, for example, CNN.it/activate. You will then be prompted to pick your cable provider (CC). You will then enter a code number that has appeared on your tv screen.
At some point I must have entered my CC info on computer the first time I did this, because each time I log into a new channel it auto verifies I'm a CC customer.
I cast everything from PC to TV via Chromecast.

CC is in Miami. This method has been used in Oakland for well over a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page