How do I get PBS shows if I "cut the cord"? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By naustin
  • 1 Post By Charles R
  • 1 Post By bac522

post #1 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
How do I get PBS shows if I "cut the cord"?

I just cut the cord recently. Question - It appears NONE of the major streaming services carry the local PBS station or any national feed. Antenna not possible in apt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
http://www.pbs.org/anywhere/home/

So NO amplifed antenna works in your apartment??
post #3 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just bought this and it gets PBS. I would seriously try it--amazed how many channels and I have no line of sight to anything. It's worth the $30 or return it.

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Amplif...antenna+indoor

post #4 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 54
PBS is one of the few over the air (OTA) HD channels we get in our "surrounded my hills" area. Go to a local store like Best Buy, buy an indoor antenna and see if it works.
or, shop on line as someone has already mentioned.

I need music every day. If I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to stand up comedians, or watching comedies. Music and laughter keep me going.

I don't do dramas, and try to avoid drama in my life as well.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I just cut the cord recently. Question - It appears NONE of the major streaming services carry the local PBS station or any national feed. Antenna not possible in apt.
Quote:
The reason it's not available streaming is because you'd have to get your content from a local affiliate, who would need to make deals with PBS proper (who would, in turn, need to have deals with everyone producing content for them), and deals with anyone sending them syndicated content, and everyone producing content locally. That's a huge deal to set up. Potentially easier for PBS because they won't have to make the case about ad revenue online, but that's still a huge legal mess to get themselves into, because you better believe everyone will bring their lawyers to the table on this one.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters...s_stream_live/

As suggested by others your only option for 'live' local PBS channels is an indoor antenna.

Check on the TV Fool website as to distance and signal strength of your PBS stations.

http://www.tvfool.com/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #6 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, everyone, for quick replies.

I'm not going to set up a whole separate system to DVR/view a PBS series a few times a year. It just came to my attention that a multi series by Ken Burns on the Vietnam war starts this week.
We have contributed to the local PBS station for decades. It would seem to me that as more and more people are cut off from viewing - their contributions will drop substantially. They need to "give" streamers the right to carry.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

I'm not going to set up a whole separate system to DVR/view a PBS series a few times a year. It just came to my attention that a multi series by Ken Burns on the Vietnam war starts this week.
We have contributed to the local PBS station for decades. It would seem to me that as more and more people are cut off from viewing - their contributions will drop substantially. They need to "give" streamers the right to carry.
Roku carries the PBS channel.
mttpalmer and GordonTV like this.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:

There's a PBS app you can install on FireTV, there's also a "masterpiece channel" for FireTV that's $5/mo.
Pretty much anything that your local PBS station broadcasts can be found on the PBS app, usually a day or two after it airs. I don't know yet if that will include the Vietnam series.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If it's just certain shows you're interested like Ken Burn's The Vietnam War then use the PBS app for whatever device/s you own.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
As does Apple TV. PBS has actually been streaming for awhile. You can watch it on a computer also.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #11 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Note all of the content isn't available unless you are a patron and sign-in.
HDMI Guy likes this.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #12 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Note all of the content isn't available unless you are a patron and sign-in.
Yes, you have sign in or up but you do not have to be a "patron" at least in my geographic area. PBS has limited content regardless.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Like others said, most streaming boxes (Apple, Fire, Roku) have a PBS app that will let you watching things on demand. A ton of content is available for free, without having to be a "patron" and get their "passport" access.

Also, I've found a lot of PBS content of Netflix, for older seasons.

Media Room 5.2: Marantz SR5010; Klipsch RP-280F (L/R), RP-450C (C), RP-250S (SL/SR), R-112SW (2x SW); Samsung UN65JU6500; Samsung UBD-K8500; Sony Playstation 4 Pro; Roku Premiere+
post #14 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Yes, you have sign in or up but you do not have to be a "patron" at least in my geographic area. PBS has limited content regardless.

WFYIPassport
This video is only available in WFYI Passport.

WFYI Passport is an additional member benefit that provides extended access to quality PBS streaming video. Learn More.
Become a Member
Already a WFYI member?
You may have an unactivated WFYI Passport member benefit in our system. Check to see.

Click on Become a member...

PASSPORT MEMBER BENEFIT
WFYI Passport is a member benefit for WFYI donors, providing you with extended access to an on-demand library of quality public television programming.

Those who contribute annual gifts of $60 or more are eligible for the WFYI Passport Member Benefit.

Now I just read the above and haven't tried to sign-up...

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #15 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
WFYIPassport
This video is only available in WFYI Passport.

WFYI Passport is an additional member benefit that provides extended access to quality PBS streaming video. Learn More.
Become a Member
Already a WFYI member?
You may have an unactivated WFYI Passport member benefit in our system. Check to see.

Click on Become a member...

PASSPORT MEMBER BENEFIT
WFYI Passport is a member benefit for WFYI donors, providing you with extended access to an on-demand library of quality public television programming.

Those who contribute annual gifts of $60 or more are eligible for the WFYI Passport Member Benefit.

Now I just read the above and haven't tried to sign-up...
Ah, I think the operative word is "extended access". In my area Masterpiece is available a few days after OTA and remains for only a couple of weeks. A little like CBS videos now that they have a pay service.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you are a contributing member you probably have the passport feature already.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
THANKS to you and OTHERs who replied - learned something knew. Didn't realize that PBS and its stations had such a setup for streaming. Just signed up for "Passport". No extra cost. The advantage of registering for streaming is that it comes in HD.

I knew our Roku had a PBS channel. It doesn't contain live streaming (I don't think.).

I'll check this all out w. News Hour tonite.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
PBS app doesn't offer live TV.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are not a contributing member you can become a PBS Passport Member for $5/month in case you don't want to outlay the $60 in one lump sum.

Once a member you will see there is more content to stream ie. 'extended access'.

post #20 of 24 Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Got to TVFOOL and put in your address. If you're within 20 miles of your PBS station you probably can use an internal antenna from Walmart and hook directly to your TV. Generally OTA signals are way better then what an streaming video will be!
GordonTV likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old 09-22-2017, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Got to TVFOOL and put in your address. If you're within 20 miles of your PBS station you probably can use an internal antenna from Walmart and hook directly to your TV. Generally OTA signals are way better then what an streaming video will be!
These forums are GREAT. We have Roku and had seen there was a PBS app. All I noticed at the time it didn't "live stream" anything - and we still had cable. We cut cable 3 months ago. Didn't think the app would carry that live "Vietnam War" series. ALL 5 episodes are available for streaming til 10/17. I did specify our local PBS station in SF. Can't recall if I had to even enter my name/email.
THANKS again. (We have watched 2 episodes so far.)
post #22 of 24 Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's a PBS app you can install on FireTV, there's also a "masterpiece channel" for FireTV that's $5/mo.
Pretty much anything that your local PBS station broadcasts can be found on the PBS app, usually a day or two after it airs. I don't know yet if that will include the Vietnam series.

I'm watching Vietnam on the PBS app on my FireTV.

Also saw the series in BluRay at Costco, which was a bit of a surprise.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just heard Spectrum has a streaming service that includes PBS live streaming.
post #24 of 24 Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mope54 View Post
I just heard Spectrum has a streaming service that includes PBS live streaming.
Spectrum is one of the few (or possibly only) streaming service that offers PBS live streaming, at least according to their ads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page