Amazon streaming - SD/HD/4k. How to tell? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Amazon streaming - SD/HD/4k. How to tell?

It seems that neither Netflix nor Amazon give you ANY info about what the encoding is for their content? By that, I mean that when you browse Netflix from a non-4k or non-HDR capable system (like my desktop computer), you get no info about whether a show is available in HD or UHD or with HDR. When using a web browser to search for stuff on Netflix or Amazon, there is no detail about content specs (audio or video encoding).

Vudu gives clear and specific details about whether a title is available in 4k and available in HDR and what audio streams are available. KUDOS to them.

Netflix, at least, DOES show you the specs for the content you are able to stream. Netflix (only from streaming box apps, it appears) posts a badge which tells whether the content is in HD or UHD (but only if you have a 4k capable system: which takes into account your streaming device, cables, AVR and display- all of which must provide the HDCP 2.2 handshake. Same with HDR, when you have a display that supports a 4k @ 60Hz stream + HDR). Netflix also has a badge for the sound format (usually- or only?- DD 5.1).

This is because when when browsing Netflix, they only show you streams that your system is capable of displaying. So, if you are "thinking" about upgrading to something 4k or HDR capable but haven't, you can't see what "would" be available to you if you did. It's even worse ON THEIR web browser, but at least on my streaming app (e.g., TiVo and Roku boxes).

This is extremely frustrating to me as I don't know what is actually available in HDR and whether it is worth upgrading parts of my system. (which supports 4k HDR @ 24Hz, only- not @ 60Hz, which is the only format that Netflix stream 4k/HDR at). e.g., I could buy a Nvidia Shield to stream from, which can output a Netflix 60Hz stream @ 24Hz, but that's a large expense if there's not a lot of content I want to watch to justify that purchase and the additional complication of one more input device).

Also, many people use different display settings for SDR vs. HDR. How do you know which settings to use for which stream if they don't tell you until after you begin watching (and then have to stop and check stream specs and make display changes, etc.)

Amazon "appears" to give absolutely no info at all about a shows encoding?

This is extremely frustrating as I can't figure out what format options are available on Netflix unless browsing from my HT streaming device (since browsing on my desktop won't tell me if a title is available in 4k or with HDR). This matters because I often want to search for things to add to watch lists from desktop, which is much easier than browsing from streaming device. In Amazon, I often can't even tell even when browsing within their app from my streaming box.

Anyone have any insight or recommendations for find HDR content? I have tried browsing Amazon and Netflix using "4k" as a search term and that helps but with Amazon, I still don't think they list encoding/display options ANYWHERE?

Last edited by DrNorm; 09-19-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Amazon only shows uhd titles if it recognizes a 4k/hdr tv. Both on my Tv and 4k bluray shows hdr playing. Here is a list of titles

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2202713
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
Amazon only shows uhd titles if it recognizes a 4k/hdr tv. Both on my Tv and 4k bluray shows hdr playing.
EXACTLY. And that is kind of what I am complaining about.

I have a projector (Epson 5040) that will support 4k @ 60Hz but NOT 4k/60Hz/HDR. It will only support 4k/HDR @ 24Hz. So, the problem is knowing whether what shows are available in HDR so I can decide if buying more hardware (which will out an HDR signal at 24Hz) is really "worth it". If there is minimal content available, then it hardly seems so.

As you say, Netflix won't show you formats it "thinks" you can't display (nor allows you to choose a different format- e.g., 1080p + HDR vs. 4k + HDR).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page