Apple TV 5 Supports 4K/UHD HDR with Many Movies on iTunes - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 264Likes

post #541 of 571 Old 10-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Decided to swap my 4th-gen ATV back into my setup and return the new ATV.

Like I said last week, the experience is pretty much "fine" after throwing it into 4K SDR @60Hz, but hardly ideal for 1080p content, HDR content. and who know's what going on with Dolby Vision content (it certainly looks weird on a non-DV TV so something screwy is afoot).

$200 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but I don't like feeling like I paid $200 to bypass my TV's upscaler and get a less than optimal picture for almost all content. I don't like feeling like I paid $200 to have to think about which format is best for everything before I watch it.

Have also been having some handshake issues between the new ATV and my AVR about 30% of the time, where I get audio but just a green screen until I reboot the ATV. The port on my AVR is HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 and the profile is set to "enhanced," same as my UHD player, which I haven't had any handshake issues with.

Have no problem rebuying it if/when the following is sorted:

-a "source direct" option to allow the video to pass through untouched to my display
-proper display of DV content on a display without DV (e.g. HDR10 base layer)
-YouTube in 4K/HDR - needs to have it to be a "one stop shop" streamer. as a consumer, i don't care what the licensing/philosophical reasons are that it doesn't have it -- i just care that it doesn't have it.

A shame since it's really a nice streamer aside from the above issues, but it's much less of a headache to do what i was doing before - using my 4th Gen Apple TV for general streaming. and Android TV apps for 4K. Hopefully these issues are ironed out, but since it seems like Apple intentionally designed the box this way (partly, at least, DV issue not included), and I don't want my return period to elapse while i wait to see if Apple thinks it a problem.

Good luck to anybody willing to ride it out and complain to Apple about it.
I have upgraded 2 ATv4 to ATv 4K, one on LG C6 (Chroma 4:2:2) directly to HDMI1 of Tv and ARC to pioneer AVR non HDCP 2.2 and other to Js9000 Samsung (chroma 4:2:2 HDR) to HDMI directly to tv, tv is connected to Jamo sound bar, I did not find any issues with HDR or DV, I am using Monoprice Certified HDMI cable. rented few 4K and 1080P movies and did not encounter picture quality issues. I do agree with you that there should be source direct option, as some of TV UHD options modes are limited on DV, there will be updates via FW for sure to get these bugs out, every UHD player haves bugs even on Oppo player. with so many of my HD movies upgraded to 4K Atv 4K is no brainer for me sold the old ATV for good price also. I have not tried Netflix yet, using Amazon prime for now on TV app, hopefully Amazon app come soon. most reviews are very good for Atv 4k, it is only for people with iTunes content though otherwise Roku is better choice.
sonoftumble likes this.

LG OLED 65C6P: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv Genie: Apple TV 4K
Pioneer Elite SC-85:
Definitive Tech. Mythos 5,7 and Gem: Subwoofer SC6000
Harmony Elite Remote
Philips Hue Ambient Lights
Belkin Pure AV PF30 Power Conditioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 571 Old 10-05-2017, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This is actually a copy of the post I made in the Apple TV owners' thread as I found this thread which seems more appropriate afterwards....

Hello,
I received my ATV 4K yesterday and hooked it up to try it......but I'm profoundly disappointed!

Firsty the need to manually change the output format for HDR and non HDR content is really a pain since I'm used to other boxes which do that automatically along with auto framerate! At least if there was the possibility of getting a direct link to the option instead of navigating the menu all the time...you could argue that leaving the settings open on video mode could be a shortcut.....but I find this as inelegant as Apple finds inelegant 3/4 seconds of blackout for the output format switch!
Leaving everything in HDR is absolutely a no go since the results are awful outside the apple store and bad within.

But this could be accepted if it was the only limitation of the box.

My major disappointment is the quality of the itunes store 4K movies......

Bare in mind I just bought one title: Alien Covenant since I also own the UHD disk and the HD blu ray that comes with it and I was able to make a comparison. I don't argue that there might be better results with other titles but selling such an awful copy of the movie on the store for more than 2$ is beyond my comprehension.

I have an 2016 LG C6 which certainly is not as kind to low quality streams as LCD TVs but I guess that elegant Apple should have one to test and take it into account since Oleds are certainly on the buying list of their preferred customers.....

I would rate the Apple version of Alien Covenant very low on the quality score, insufficient for the least. As usual with the bright scenes there is no big problem and the stream is absolutely on par with Netflix, Amazon etc (TV app) but in the dim lit or dark scenes it's ridiculously bad.

Guess what: Alien is a sci fi space movie...space is dark (actually empty space is quite black!) and many settings of the film are also dark or very dark.

In the actual space scenes you cannot see stars but just flickering of multicoloured macro blocks and noise everywhere as in most dark corners of even well illuminated scenes...when the alien Xeno is finally disembarked from the covenant with the help of that huge "mining" truck I actually couldn't see the truck dropping toward the planet beneath but it just looked like I lost my antenna on the roof!

I understand streaming and everything related but frankly I cannot limit my vision to only well lit movies throughout. Luckily I'm not a horror fan!

I don't know if there's a solution (bump up bps on dark scenes etc) but I will not buy another 4K movie if this is the quality to expect, I'd rather spend the extra money for the disks and be satisfied with the vision.
Netflix and others seems miles ahead to me for what I've watched so far though they also have their share of problems with the dark tones / scenes.
I sincerely hope that someone will wake up someday and tweak the H265 codec for such situations.....

Another issue is the renditions of blacks (always about Alien) which I also find problematic because they are really dark grey and contrast goes down the drain......

I actually prefer to watch something in HD and SDR rather than the 4K HDR stuff on the itunes store (if this is the quality across the board) even if they certainly look a bit softer, the dark scenes are much better.

All of this is really an apple choice problem (itunes store or apple software) rather than the ATV 4K itself as using Infuse 5 to watch other things (non streaming) I find the quality in 1080p SDR on par with other boxes (Zidoo X9S, Dune Solo 4K, Zappiti Player) and the actual TV upsampling (since all these boxes do both auto resolution and auto frame rate) with very minor differences which go really unnoticed on a 55".

Before you ask; I have 100 Mbps connection and the stream was in 4K. TV settings are OK and everything is rendered correctly in the menus and tests patterns through the ATV 4K.

Off course there is no comparison whatsoever with the UHD or the Bluray disk, but this was not the point. I just checked that the "noise" was not there in the movie itself and it wasn't. Plus the UHD disk HDR has better blacks so I don't understand why the stream should be inferior....black is black....it looked like the blacks were elevated, this didn't happen with the SDR itunes stuff.

Last problem is that my remote disconnected itself at least 6/7 times during 4 hrs of use. Battery was 100% and I was only 12 feet away from the ATV. It did usually reconnect within 10/15 secs but a few times it took nearly a minute.

Overall I would send back the ATV 4K if I didn't have another TV to connect the old 3rd gen I substituted.

I hope that things will be better in the future with updates and streaming improvements because the future is "dark" if physical discs fade away and this is what we are left with.......

Unfortunately I cannot afford Kaleidescape....
post #543 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2004 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Just to reiterate, it’s important to post feedback and issues at

https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

This data does make it back it back to the engineering team from what I’ve learned.

My commentary has focused a) incorrect hdr-10 layer from Dolby Vision titles and b) lack of auto switching for source colorspace, frame rate and resolution, especially in the context of switching between movies of different types as well as between apps with very different playback requirements.

Last edited by thrang; 10-08-2017 at 10:42 AM.

post #544 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Can you download movies on to Apple TV 4K?

I read that itunes movies can be downloaded to ios devices as long as they're HD and not UHD. Does that apply to Apple TV 4K as well? I'm trying to decide between the 32 GB version and the 64 GB version, and I'm not sure if I'd ever need the extra space.

Does apple tv 4k support 4k hdr/dv movies via AirPlay?

Can I use my 2015 macbook pro or ipad mini 4 to stream/airplay 4k hdr/dv movies to my tv via apple tv 4k?

Can apps like Infuse or MrMC on Apple TV 4K play 4K movies from network shares?

Can they play files from NAS or SMB shares?
post #545 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Another question is can you airplay 4k picture and videos taken on an iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #546 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolledoff View Post
Can you download movies on to Apple TV 4K?

I read that itunes movies can be downloaded to ios devices as long as they're HD and not UHD. Does that apply to Apple TV 4K as well? I'm trying to decide between the 32 GB version and the 64 GB version, and I'm not sure if I'd ever need the extra space.

Does apple tv 4k support 4k hdr/dv movies via AirPlay?

Can I use my 2015 macbook pro or ipad mini 4 to stream/airplay 4k hdr/dv movies to my tv via apple tv 4k?

Can apps like Infuse or MrMC on Apple TV 4K play 4K movies from network shares?

Can they play files from NAS or SMB shares?
No, no, and no. For details see the Apple TV thread.

Edit: looks like infuse and mrmc are working on it.

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)

Last edited by nathan_h; 10-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.
post #547 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
No, no, and no. For details see the Apple TV thread.
Thank you. Infuse / MrMC can't play 4K movies from an NAS SMB share? I looked at the thread and didn't find the specific answer. Can you please let me know how to find it? Thanks.
post #548 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Thank you. Infuse / MrMC can't play 4K movies from an NAS SMB share? I looked at the thread and didn't find the specific answer. Can you please let me know how to find it? Thanks.
Both can play 4K movies from a NAS SMB share (caveat I've been using the MrMC beta). The only issue right now with both of them is that they can't play HDR 4K videos, and instead the color will be washed out since the HDR data isn't being passed. Infuse has said that their next version (5.5.6) will support 4K HDR videos.
nathan_h likes this.

Denon X4200W 5.2.4 -> LG OLED65C6P
Apple TV 4K // Apple TV 4 // NVIDIA Shield Pro // Xbox One S
Channels App w/ HDHomeRun Prime (x2)+ HDHomeRun Connect for Live TV and DVR
post #549 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstephens24 View Post
Both can play 4K movies from a NAS SMB share (caveat I've been using the MrMC beta). The only issue right now with both of them is that they can't play HDR 4K videos, and instead the color will be washed out since the HDR data isn't being passed. Infuse has said that their next version (5.5.6) will support 4K HDR videos.
Awesome, thank you! Hopefully MrMC will support it soon as well. I guess Apple TV is doing the upsampling of the SDR signal and resulting in the washed out colors.
post #550 of 571 Old 10-07-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timstephens24 View Post
Quote:
Awesome, thank you! Hopefully MrMC will support it soon as well. I guess Apple TV is doing the upsampling of the SDR signal and resulting in the washed out colors.
Looks like my data was out of date. Glad to hear they are both working on it.

My current setup.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #551 of 571 Old 10-15-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
MrMC's latest beta supports HDR, so it should be out soon.

post #552 of 571 Old 10-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does it bother anyone else that Apple has their whole interface in Dolby Vision? What I don?t like is when watching something that Apple tells me is in Dolby Vision 4k, or something that is not, my AVR and TV say the same resolution and format. I like being able to press info on my AVR and TV and see it confirm it?s playing the correct quality.
post #553 of 571 Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep lots of concerns and complaints when viewing non HDR content since it tends to render a sub par picture in terms of accuracy — both what it outputs and in how TVs handle it — and be energy inefficient, and is hard to work around.

My current setup.

Last edited by nathan_h; 10-16-2017 at 03:13 PM.
post #554 of 571 Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I have a weird issue with my ATV 4K and curious to know if anyone else have the same experience. Ever since i got the ATV and hooked it up to my Sony 4K projector, i get stuck at the screen test image asking me if i want to try HDR or not. Problem is, both options are greyed out and i can`t choose either or. The Apple remote also doesn`t respond to any buttons i push. So the only way for me to get out of this lockup is by using my Harmony remote and send the reboot command to the ATV. After rebooting, i can now see the homescreen again and also use the apps. But the next time i want to watch something on the projector, same thing happens again.

What`s interesting is that when i watch on my TV (1080p) instead, this issue never happens so the problem seems to be with my projector setup somehow. I have reported it to Apple support and hope they can get back to me.

Have anyone else here experienced the same problem?

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
post #555 of 571 Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post
I have a weird issue with my ATV 4K and curious to know if anyone else have the same experience. Ever since i got the ATV and hooked it up to my Sony 4K projector, i get stuck at the screen test image asking me if i want to try HDR or not. Problem is, both options are greyed out and i can`t choose either or. The Apple remote also doesn`t respond to any buttons i push. So the only way for me to get out of this lockup is by using my Harmony remote and send the reboot command to the ATV. After rebooting, i can now see the homescreen again and also use the apps. But the next time i want to watch something on the projector, same thing happens again.

What`s interesting is that when i watch on my TV (1080p) instead, this issue never happens so the problem seems to be with my projector setup somehow. I have reported it to Apple support and hope they can get back to me.

Maybe the Apple TV really doesn't like the cable you're using?

Mike Strobel – Weehawken, NJ
Programmer, Overly Harsh UX Critic, and General Curmudgeon
XBR-65A1E, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4 (bring me 4K, damn you!)
post #556 of 571 Old 10-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Strobel View Post
Maybe the Apple TV really doesn't like the cable you're using?
The cable is a Monoprice and i did also try swapping the cable to another one but no luck there.

Sony VPL-VW550 | DNP Supernova 08-85 116" 2.35:1 | Lumagen Radiance Pro 4440 | Pioneer SC-LX89 | AppleTV 4K | Zappiti One 4k HDR | PS4 | Audio Pro/Pioneer 5.1.4 Atmos | SVS SB-1000
post #557 of 571 Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fontenot View Post
Does it bother anyone else that Apple has their whole interface in Dolby Vision?
Well, the interface and screen savers are made to be in Dolby Vision/HDR. The screen savers are really really nice in DV/HDR10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fontenot View Post
What I don?t like is when watching something that Apple tells me is in Dolby Vision 4k, or something that is not, my AVR and TV say the same resolution and format. I like being able to press info on my AVR and TV and see it confirm it?s playing the correct quality.
Yeah that part sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yep lots of concerns and complaints since it tends to render a sub par picture, be energy inefficient, and is hard to work around.
It's not energy inefficient on an OLED, but LCDs it is. So just get an OLED!!! (PS - kidding, but OLEDs are definitely worth getting). I really hope they do something so videos are in their native format.

post #558 of 571 Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
That really sounds just wrong. If changing the cable doesn't work, I would return it for a new one; or at least take it to the Apple Store if you're near one to see if it's something wrong with your Apple TV.

post #559 of 571 Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I rented Alien C from iTunes on my Apple TV 4K and playing on LG OLED65C7.

First I noticed that this movie on iTUNES is available in [HDR 10], but it is not in [HDR DOLBY VISION], yet.

Then i changed the ‘VIDEO FORMAT’ on Apple TV4K to 4KHDR.

Watched the Movie and it looks great, no washed out scenes.

Perhaps some people have had issues with it because they did not select the correct HDR FORMAT.

I AM WITH THE MASSES DEMANDING AUTO FORMAT CHANGING.
post #560 of 571 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11368
Interesting article in Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#33ed536a3974

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #561 of 571 Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting, I’ve not run in to this, I have a Sony VPL-VE285ES connected through an Integra DRC-R1 with Monoprice Certified Primum HDMI cables. While I have many many complaints, questions, concerns and issues at the moment, I’m not having a lock up. I did have an issue on one of the public betas whereby trying to set 4:2:2 would lock the screen black and not recover. However this is now resolved with the current beta.

I could try bypassing my Integra and see if I get a lockup. Are you running through an AVR, what tvOS version are you running?
post #562 of 571 Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

I’m really hoping folks here can help me understand what I’m seeing. First my setup

I have a Sony VPL-VW285ES connected through an Integra DRC-R1 with Monoprice Certified Primum HDMI cables. Additionally I have the Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player.

So when watching Fantastic Beast on UHD Blu-ray I’m seeing an Input / Output on the Information screen on the Integra of
4K(3840x2160) 24 Hz - YCbCr444 36bit. However when watching the exact same movie (obviously encoding from Apple is different) I see 4K(3840x2160) 24 Hz - YCbCr422 24bit, I’m desperately trying to figure out why my color depth is dropping from 12 to 8. Obviously the connection from the Integra to the Projector is sufficient to drive the higher bandwidth (since the Blu-ray is working just fine) and I’ve swapped around the interconnect (HDMI) from the AppleTV4K and UHD Blu-ray, but nothing doing. I’ve also tried swapping the physical HDMI ports (UHD BluRay to AppleTV4k and Vs Versa) to make sure it wasn’t an issue with some setting on Integra and it’s HDMI configuration.

The issue for me is the color banding I’m seeing along with muted tones and just general softness to the images on the HDR output for the AppleTV4k. It’s driving me nuts... UHD Blu-ray look fantastic (The Martian, Ghost in the Shell, etc...) on UHD Blu-ray and not so great on AppleTV4k. Problem is, I have close to 600 movies in the Apple Echosystem and have been ecstatic about getting (some, most, all) of them migrated to 4K (for the cost of a box)... However this doesn’t really work if they look terrible in my setup.

Thoughts....

Scott

P.S. The Projector is showing an information screen of
4K 3840x2160 24
HDR10
BT.2020
post #563 of 571 Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Do you have Deep Color enabled?
post #564 of 571 Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Do you have Deep Color enabled?
I do, For the Sony this is enabled by Setting the HDMI to Enhanced mode. Great question and on track

Scott
post #565 of 571 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottv919 View Post
I’m really hoping folks here can help me understand what I’m seeing. First my setup

I have a Sony VPL-VW285ES connected through an Integra DRC-R1 with Monoprice Certified Primum HDMI cables. Additionally I have the Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-ray player.

So when watching Fantastic Beast on UHD Blu-ray I’m seeing an Input / Output on the Information screen on the Integra of
4K(3840x2160) 24 Hz - YCbCr444 36bit. However when watching the exact same movie (obviously encoding from Apple is different) I see 4K(3840x2160) 24 Hz - YCbCr422 24bit, I’m desperately trying to figure out why my color depth is dropping from 12 to 8. Obviously the connection from the Integra to the Projector is sufficient to drive the higher bandwidth (since the Blu-ray is working just fine) and I’ve swapped around the interconnect (HDMI) from the AppleTV4K and UHD Blu-ray, but nothing doing. I’ve also tried swapping the physical HDMI ports (UHD BluRay to AppleTV4k and Vs Versa) to make sure it wasn’t an issue with some setting on Integra and it’s HDMI configuration.

The issue for me is the color banding I’m seeing along with muted tones and just general softness to the images on the HDR output for the AppleTV4k. It’s driving me nuts... UHD Blu-ray look fantastic (The Martian, Ghost in the Shell, etc...) on UHD Blu-ray and not so great on AppleTV4k. Problem is, I have close to 600 movies in the Apple Echosystem and have been ecstatic about getting (some, most, all) of them migrated to 4K (for the cost of a box)... However this doesn’t really work if they look terrible in my setup.

Thoughts....

Scott

4K 3840x2160 24
HDR10
BT.2020
Integra may be showing the wrong info. Furthermore, HDR10 is 10-bit (DV needs 12-bit). Apple TV 4K offers a way to change Chroma ... did you try that.
post #566 of 571 Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Integra may be showing the wrong info. Furthermore, HDR10 is 10-bit (DV needs 12-bit). Apple TV 4K offers a way to change Chroma ... did you try that.
I considered that they Integra might be showing the wrong info, except for the color comparison between UHD Blu-ray and AppleTV4k. The naming makes it obvious it’s not operating at 36bit.

When you point out that HDR10 is 10-bit, this highlights another bit of discontinuity. The Sony is reporting HDR10 BT.2020. However I don’t see that can be possible if the AppleTV4k is outputting 24bit. Anyway it’s part of my conundrum.

As for Chroma the 4:2:2 is the the highest level offered by the AppleTV4k at 2160 24 Hz on my setup. Not that I want to bring up a rats nest since there is some debate over this next point, the Sony projector supports 13.5 GBps (not 18 GBps) on it’s HDMI ports. However, all things being equal the UHD Blu-ray is sending a proper 2160 24 Hz 4:4:4 36bit image so the interface on the Projector is able to handshake (thus reporting there is enough bandwidth) for the signal.

This all brings me back to why can’t the AppleTV4k display 2160 24 Hz 4:2:2 36bit (or even 30bit)? Id’ be darn happy with 10bit over 8bit at this point... :-)
post #567 of 571 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottv919 View Post

Scott

4K 3840x2160 24
HDR10
BT.2020
I get the same thing on my JVC X750 and resolved it by changing the Apple TV to HDR at 60 hz. It seems that HDR at 24 hz on the Apple TV is limited to 8 bits - perhaps to maximize compatibility with older displays. The JVC has an inverse telecine mode to reverse the 2:3 pulldown on 60 hz sources and I assume the Sony has something similar. So now I'm getting HDR 10 bit without judder. Looks really great.

Bruce K.
post #568 of 571 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 79
WHAT has happened to Home Theatre Geeks Podcast show run by Scott W as it has not been on for two weeks.
Hopefully APPLE TV 4K could be a forthcoming subject.
post #569 of 571 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
WHAT has happened to Home Theatre Geeks Podcast show run by Scott W as it has not been on for two weeks.

Hopefully APPLE TV 4K could be a forthcoming subject.

It’s been canceled

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #570 of 571 Old Today, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Apple TV 4K iTunes Movies (Dolby Vision HDR) vs 4K Blu-ray

Good comparison here by HDTVTest's Vincent Teoh

Apple TV 4K iTunes Movies (Dolby Vision HDR) vs 4K Blu-ray
youtube.com/watch?v=WbKCZpQN72c
dodo/lurker and Soundizer17 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement