Is there a REAL online alternative to blu-ray? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwort93
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is there a REAL online alternative to blu-ray?

Hi all,

Today I read an article about illegal downloads not having any use any longer because people can just download their movies "legally". But I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I have not seen any legal channel yet that can provide me with the same quality as a Blu-ray. They are all good enough for normal TV viewing, but especially the lossy audio is very poor.

Is there any online legal channel that offers the possibility to view lossless audio (20GB) videos?
christoffeldg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Hi all,

Today I read an article about illegal downloads not having any use any longer because people can just download their movies "legally". But I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I have not seen any legal channel yet that can provide me with the same quality as a Blu-ray. They are all good enough for normal TV viewing, but especially the lossy audio is very poor.

Is there any online legal channel that offers the possibility to view lossless audio (20GB) videos?
The only one I know of is the Kaleidescape Strato, but it costs $4500 for the base model with the 6TB hard drive, so it's not really meant for the normal home theater user. I don't think it actually streams the videos though, just offers UHD Blu-ray equivalent digital downloads. I do believe their store links up with UltraViolet though, so you can access your existing UV digital library through it.

https://www.kaleidescape.com/products/encore/#strato
cTwining likes this.
jwort93 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
christoffeldg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwort93 View Post
The only one I know of is the Kaleidescape Strato, but it costs $4500 for the base model with the 6TB hard drive, so it's not really meant for the normal home theater user. I don't think it actually streams the videos though, just offers UHD Blu-ray equivalent digital downloads. I do believe their store links up with UltraViolet though, so you can access your existing UV digital library through it.

https://www.kaleidescape.com/products/encore/#strato
I don't really like proprietary hardware in a closed eco-system. If it breaks down, you lose your entire movie collection with it until you buy a new one, effectively you get stuck with it.
christoffeldg is online now  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
I don't really like proprietary hardware in a closed eco-system. If it breaks down, you lose your entire movie collection with it until you buy a new one, effectively you get stuck with it.
Well theoretically since it links to ultraviolet, you could watch your movies on any device that supports Vudu as well, until you get a new unit. But I agree, for one, it costs way to much for what it is, and it's definitely too closed of a system for my liking.
jwort93 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 02:24 AM
Member
 
ugotvijay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoffeldg View Post
Hi all,

Today I read an article about illegal downloads not having any use any longer because people can just download their movies "legally". But I wonder how much truth there is to that.

I have not seen any legal channel yet that can provide me with the same quality as a Blu-ray. They are all good enough for normal TV viewing, but especially the lossy audio is very poor.

Is there any online legal channel that offers the possibility to view lossless audio (20GB) videos?
IMO, for video, streaming has already matched, if not surpassed Bluray quality. Netflix 4K streaming is on par with Bluray (if not better). Audio is where most services are severely lacking. I find the audio from physical discs far more dynamic than the streaming services.

It's only a matter of time before physical discs are rendered obsolete.
ugotvijay is online now  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,106
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I disagree... Streaming video shows higher compression artifacts, banding and noise over a Blu-Ray disc. The average Blu-Ray movie is about 30-40 GB in size and streaming videos are a lot smaller. There is no way you can compress a movie down to four GB (according Apple, the average size of a streamed video on iTunes is four GB and they are known to use less compression than say VUDU or Netflix) of the Blu-Ray disc without losing image and sound quality using the same codecs.

Another factor is that a large portion of the rural U.S. does not have the bandwidth from the ISP to stream high def. This chart shows in blue all the areas that have 5 mb/s or greater internet speeds. As an example, Pennsylvania alone, 800,000 people do not have broadband access according to the FCC.



Studies have shown that 47 million Americans still do not have ANY internet access. One third of us do not have high speed internet. it's not that they do not want internet access, it's just that the infrastructure is not there. In rural areas, it is too expensive for ISPs to run cables for only a few homes per square mile as copper is too expensive or that the runs are too far. Remember, this is a BIG country. For those people, physical media is still the best option.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Sledgehamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotvijay View Post
IMO, for video, streaming has already matched, if not surpassed Bluray quality. Netflix 4K streaming is on par with Bluray (if not better). Audio is where most services are severely lacking. I find the audio from physical discs far more dynamic than the streaming services.

It's only a matter of time before physical discs are rendered obsolete.
First problem is that you cant generalize "streaming is better than BD" or the other way around.
Second, while it might be the case that 4K streaming is equal or better than BD its not like every movie is available at that resolution.

To give a small overview:
BD trumps every streaming or download service that offers 1080p.
BD might be inferior to 2160p streams (didn't really test that enough) but then the sound part comes into play (which you mentioned), not to mention the availability.
UHD BD trumps everything that streaming or download services are offering in 2160p (only exception might be Kaleidescape as I think that they are creating their own versions from the studio's master).
In many cases there is no BD of a TV show so that streaming or download services are offering a significant increase in picture quality. Amazon offers still the best quality when compared to iTunes or Netflix.

So the only real alternative to BD is the already mentioned Kaleidescape and its Kstore.
Sledgehamma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off