Apple TV 5 Gen HDR dark/dull - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 76 Old 09-29-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ATV <=> B6P Settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post
Check to make sure your TV's settings for each video format match. I noticed much brighter images from Apple TV when I switched it to HDR, then realized I'd reduced the contrast on my LG OLED65B6P TV for SDR images. When I switched ATV to HDR, the contrast setting jumped back to the factory setting (maximum). Matching settings eliminated the differences.
Kevin - Any chance you could detail the exact settings for the Apple TV4K and those for your LG OLED B6P? I ran into an issue where, during initial setup, the ATV caused my B6P to change its SDR settings (forcing a reboot), then causing artifacts such as pink patches on faces on my HD/cable HDMI input. Also, which HDMI port did you use (if it matters) for the ATV on the B6P? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpond101 View Post
Kevin - Any chance you could detail the exact settings for the Apple TV4K and those for your LG OLED B6P? I ran into an issue where, during initial setup, the ATV caused my B6P to change its SDR settings (forcing a reboot), then causing artifacts such as pink patches on faces on my HD/cable HDMI input. Also, which HDMI port did you use (if it matters) for the ATV on the B6P? Thanks.
Attaching my ATV did not change settings on the TV. That should not happen!!

When ATV starts up the first time, it does detect an HDR TV and sets itself up to output HDR (or Dolby Vision). Before I matched the OLED light, contrast, brightness and color settings between HDR and SDR, video from ATV was overly bright. Once I matched the TV's HDR settings to those I set for SDR everything settled in.

I never saw odd blotches or overly saturated colors. I can't explain that one unless the TV's settings being used are off.

I should mention I have a Pioneer SC-LX701 AVR in the loop. Until it receives it's Dolby Vision update, I'm limited to HDR10 from ATV and my Oppo UBP-203.

My TV settings are OLED light 100, Contrast 64, Brightness and Color 50. Only the contrast is different from factory defaults.

I have ATV set for HDR 4K YCrCb 4:2:0 12-bit if I recall correctly. I choose 4:2:0 over 4:2:2 because something in my chain was dropping back to 8-bit video with 4:2:2.

My AVR is connected to HDMI 2 on the TV.

Kevin Windrem
post #33 of 76 Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post
Attaching my ATV did not change settings on the TV. That should not happen!!

When ATV starts up the first time, it does detect an HDR TV and sets itself up to output HDR (or Dolby Vision). Before I matched the OLED light, contrast, brightness and color settings between HDR and SDR, video from ATV was overly bright. Once I matched the TV's HDR settings to those I set for SDR everything settled in.

I never saw odd blotches or overly saturated colors. I can't explain that one unless the TV's settings being used are off.

I should mention I have a Pioneer SC-LX701 AVR in the loop. Until it receives it's Dolby Vision update, I'm limited to HDR10 from ATV and my Oppo UBP-203.

My TV settings are OLED light 100, Contrast 64, Brightness and Color 50. Only the contrast is different from factory defaults.

I have ATV set for HDR 4K YCrCb 4:2:0 12-bit if I recall correctly. I choose 4:2:0 over 4:2:2 because something in my chain was dropping back to 8-bit video with 4:2:2.

My AVR is connected to HDMI 2 on the TV.
Thanks. The initial problem related to color may have been unrelated, because now everything is working fine. I, too, have the ATV set up on HDMI 2, and it appears to be working well with this set - no dullness, or other problems.

post #34 of 76 Old 10-04-2017, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Samsung JS9500 owner here, I was fighting with this issue for several days and realized the reason Apple TV in HDR mode looked so dim and dull, was because of the Dynamic Contrast setting. It's important to remember that Dynamic Contrast does not behave the same for SDR and HDR modes. For HDR mode, you pretty much need DC set to Medium or High, for the equivalent overall brightness as SDR content with DC off. I've found some of the built-in apps on the TV, like Fandango, will automatically set Dynamic Contrast to High when entering HDR mode (I had to reset my TV to get this behavior back though, probably a recent update or a picture setting change caused it to stop happening at some point). You'll find other threads here that all say, HDR mode with Dynamic Contrast: Off is a big no-no, and causes the exact symptoms being described here, namely very dim / dark picture compared to SDR. Hope that helps!
jeep05 and cswiger like this.
post #35 of 76 Old 10-04-2017, 02:53 PM

This is how a movie with HDR support (Lego Movie in this case) looks for me, when toggling Dynamic Contrast between Off / High for both 4K SDR and HDR modes:

post #36 of 76 Old 10-05-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteyoda View Post
Samsung JS9500 owner here, I was fighting with this issue for several days and realized the reason Apple TV in HDR mode looked so dim and dull, was because of the Dynamic Contrast setting. It's important to remember that Dynamic Contrast does not behave the same for SDR and HDR modes. For HDR mode, you pretty much need DC set to Medium or High, for the equivalent overall brightness as SDR content with DC off. I've found some of the built-in apps on the TV, like Fandango, will automatically set Dynamic Contrast to High when entering HDR mode (I had to reset my TV to get this behavior back though, probably a recent update or a picture setting change caused it to stop happening at some point). You'll find other threads here that all say, HDR mode with Dynamic Contrast: Off is a big no-no, and causes the exact symptoms being described here, namely very dim / dark picture compared to SDR. Hope that helps!
What settings for chroma/Hz are you using on you Apple TV? Does enabling dynamic contrast fix the dull colors in the menu?
post #37 of 76 Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupp View Post
What settings for chroma/Hz are you using on you Apple TV? Does enabling dynamic contrast fix the dull colors in the menu?
4:2:0 @ 60Hz. Enabling 4:2:2 I get really heavy banding / posterization, most obvious on the menu icon gradients. I have UHD Color enabled on the HDMI port, of course, I've also tried setting the input to PC, I still always get the banding, and 4:2:0 looks very good to me, so I've just stuck with it (and I've had this color banding issue with other devices, so I suspect it's just an issue with the TV).

And yes, Dynamic Contrast fixes the dull colors in the menu (before it was like half as bright, after putting DC to Med or High, it's roughly same as when in SDR mode).
post #38 of 76 Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmdnkristo View Post
I have the 940e tried different settings and hdmi cables nothing but a dull picture with the black bars gray/cloudy. In the 940e owners thread other people are saying it looks great I wonder if we have defective units?
I have the same issue with a 940e. SDR is nice and bright, HDR dulls the image. I'm going to do some fiddling this weekend, if I can't fix it i'll call Apple.

Looky here!
post #39 of 76 Old 10-07-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I have the same issue with a 940e. SDR is nice and bright, HDR dulls the image. I'm going to do some fiddling this weekend, if I can't fix it i'll call Apple.
please update us on what apple says, they told me problem is with my sony 930e.
post #40 of 76 Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadlersberg View Post
please update us on what apple says, they told me problem is with my sony 930e.
Same here, I told them everything I had tried and documented, but in the end they really don't know the intricacies of these HDR TV's well, and just said basically it's Samsung problem.
post #41 of 76 Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJReiter View Post
I have a Samsung KS8000 and am having the exact same issue. My TV is perfectly celebrated for HDR content and I have watched plenty on my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. It is clear that something is not right when the Apple TV 4K is set to 4K HDR mode. Not only the menus, but video content is also dull and washed out. I did a comparison watching a 4K HDR movie in both HDR & SDR modes and it was obvious that the HDR mode was much duller than it should be. What's interesting is that when a screensaver is on the screen, suddenly the image really pops. It's like a filter was removed from the screen when the screensaver appears and the image is great. I can actually see this filter being removed and added as I turn the screensaver on and off. I have no idea what's going on.
Same exact issue on my end... I am also a Samsung KS8000 owner and as soon as I connect the Apple TV 4K, with HDR on; everything looks dull (even movies in HDR)... The only thing that pops out is the screen saver.

I have my TV perfectly calibrated, have all the latest certified premium hdmi cables, and have other HDR devices such as a Sony UHD Blu Ray player and Playstation 4 Pro and all of them are outputting HDR properly on the TV, except for the Apple TV.

I hope Apple recognizes this issue but as we all know, they are usually pretty slow on rolling out updates and it might not be fixed until their next version of TVOS when they bundle in a bunch of changes which could take a while.

In the meantime, I might just end up returning the AppleTV and stick with the built in streaming apps on the TV until an update has been put out.
dadlersberg likes this.

TV: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800; Gaming: PS4 Pro
post #42 of 76 Old 10-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I'm having the same issue with my 940E, but not with Apple TV 4K (which I haven't bought yet). My TV gets way too dark when playing HDR content from the internal Netflix app. The getting way too dark issue may be related to how Sony is processing the HDR signal versus the Apple TV 4K.

Can you try playing some HDR content on Netflix with the internal app and report back if it goes dark similar to your ATV4K?
post #43 of 76 Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm55082 View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 940E, but not with Apple TV 4K (which I haven't bought yet). My TV gets way too dark when playing HDR content from the internal Netflix app. The getting way too dark issue may be related to how Sony is processing the HDR signal versus the Apple TV 4K.

Can you try playing some HDR content on Netflix with the internal app and report back if it goes dark similar to your ATV4K?
Been sick over the weekend and haven't really had the motivation to mess around with this, but that's what I had planned to test.

Looky here!
post #44 of 76 Old 10-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Been sick over the weekend and haven't really had the motivation to mess around with this, but that's what I had planned to test.
Sounds good. Let me know what you find out. It'll be interesting to see what your result are -- could just be the way our TVs are processing HDR.
dadlersberg likes this.
post #45 of 76 Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have also been trying to resolve this issue with the ATV4K on an Epson 5040, Sony x900e and Samsung KS8000. I still have more testing to do but the best settings that I have found so far to reduce/eliminate dark HDR are:

Epson 5040: 4k HDR 24Hz
Sony x900e: 4k HDR 24Hz
Samsung KS8000: 4k HDR 60Hz
post #46 of 76 Old 10-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm55082 View Post

I think this one is more of an issue with how Netflix is authoring their HDR content. Try firing up Girl Boss in HDR. If you don't want to watch the whole first episode, then just fast forward to the scene where the main character and her father (Dean Norris) are having dinner in a dimly lit restaurant. In my Sony A1E's Netflix app, this show looks more or less the way I expect HDR content to look. I don't know why the most of Netflix's appears so dark, but it vexes the hell out of me.

Mike Strobel – Weehawken, NJ
Programmer, Overly Harsh UX Critic, and General Curmudgeon
XBR-65A1E, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4 (bring me 4K, damn you!)
post #47 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just brought home an LG OLED65B7A and a Yamaha A770 yesterday. No dolby vision through the Yamaha (yet) but I was able to get it with the ATV 4K direct to the TV. Through the Yamaha I get HDR.

I'm having the same issue, menu colors look horrible in HDR mode, looks great in SDR mode. I thought it was just the menu but then went to Playstation Vue. Last night's MNF looked dull on the ATV so I switched to my Amazon FireTV (4K but no HDR) and the colors were waaay better. The ONLY time I got what looked to be an amazing picture was when watching iTunes... John Wick 2 is in HDR 4K and it looked truly awesome. So this leads me to believe that native HDR content is going through just fine, but the "upscaled" content is getting wrecked. I'm wondering if everyone is having this issue or if there's more to the story.

Disclaimer, my HDMI's are a little dated so I've ordered premium certified ones, they'll be here tonight and I'll switch them out. I noticed some LG OLED owners in the beginning of this thread are NOT having this issue (or they don't think they are), so maybe it's a cable issue.
post #48 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Well here's something in the latest TVos beta...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/09/watchos-4-1-beta-2/

Scroll down and you'll find this...

Home Screen

New

• Increased on-screen UI brightness for HDR output. (34019671)
post #49 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep127 View Post
Just brought home an LG OLED65B7A and a Yamaha A770 yesterday. No dolby vision through the Yamaha (yet) but I was able to get it with the ATV 4K direct to the TV. Through the Yamaha I get HDR.

I'm having the same issue, menu colors look horrible in HDR mode, looks great in SDR mode. I thought it was just the menu but then went to Playstation Vue. Last night's MNF looked dull on the ATV so I switched to my Amazon FireTV (4K but no HDR) and the colors were waaay better. The ONLY time I got what looked to be an amazing picture was when watching iTunes... John Wick 2 is in HDR 4K and it looked truly awesome. So this leads me to believe that native HDR content is going through just fine, but the "upscaled" content is getting wrecked. I'm wondering if everyone is having this issue or if there's more to the story.

Disclaimer, my HDMI's are a little dated so I've ordered premium certified ones, they'll be here tonight and I'll switch them out. I noticed some LG OLED owners in the beginning of this thread are NOT having this issue (or they don't think they are), so maybe it's a cable issue.
Hi, i tried 3 different hdmi cables including brand new audioquest chocolate from best buy and that did not help. I also returned my apple tv for a new one just incase the first one was defective, but same results.
post #50 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 12:14 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Home Screen

New

I saw this on 9to5 & wondered if any one had tried the latest beta for ATV & if the increase in brightness in HDR helped.
post #51 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Home Screen

New

I don’t see a need for that on my setup (OLED B6).
My ATV is set to DV @ 30Hz.

I have my OLED set to Dolby Vision Dark Mode (BL:36, Br:52, Ct:80) and the UI is same intensity as SDR mode.
post #52 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have a OLED B6. I just upgraded from an Onkyo 646 (no DV pass) to a Denon X2300W (DV passes). I have the ATV4K pushing DV via the Denon to my OLED (set to - DV Dark BL:36; Br:52 Ct: 80. Warm2. All other processing off). It looks fabulous. I watch SDR and HDR content in that mode and it looks great (I am a pixel peeper kind of guy who is anal about this stuff).
post #53 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I have a OLED B6. I just upgraded from an Onkyo 646 (no DV pass) to a Denon X2300W (DV passes). I have the ATV4K pushing DV via the Denon to my OLED (set to - DV Dark BL:36; Br:52 Ct: 80. Warm2. All other processing off). It looks fabulous. I watch SDR and HDR content in that mode and it looks great (I am a pixel peeper kind of guy who is anal about this stuff).
In your post above you say you have the ATV set to 30hz. I believe the issue people are having is at 60hz with HDR/DV on.
dadlersberg likes this.
post #54 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm using ATV4K with B7 OLED, and SDR to HDR and DV conversion looks great on my set. I tried with HDR/60, HDR/24, DV/60 and DV/24. In all cases it looks very good, and in fact I'm watching all the SDR content that's available on ATV this way now. Specifically, I use HBO and Showtime apps instead of my DirectTV to watch all the series I used to watch on DTV. It looks very good with HDR/DV treatment.

Which probably means that the way ATV does the SDR/HDR conversion varies greatly by TV set, or rather how specific TVs handle the converted signal coming from ATV - some do admirable job displaying the regular content with HDR treatment, and others don't.
umenon likes this.

LG OLED 55C6P | LG OLED 65B7A | Denon AVR X6200W | Denon AVR X4300H | Parasound 2125 and ATI 1506 Amps | Definitive Technology Speakers /w Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 with 7.1.4 Atmos | LG UP970 UHD Player | Nvidia Shield | ATV4K | Roku Ultra | Amazon FireTV
post #55 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohaLA View Post
I'm using ATV4K with B7 OLED, and SDR to HDR and DV conversion looks great on my set. I tried with HDR/60, HDR/24, DV/60 and DV/24. In all cases it looks very good, and in fact I'm watching all the SDR content that's available on ATV this way now. Specifically, I use HBO and Showtime apps instead of my DirectTV to watch all the series I used to watch on DTV. It looks very good with HDR/DV treatment.

Which probably means that the way ATV does the SDR/HDR conversion varies greatly by TV set, or rather how specific TVs handle the converted signal coming from ATV - some do admirable job displaying the regular content with HDR treatment, and others don't.
I am watching mine in DV @ 30 Hz (HDR10 does not do colors as well as DV) and my OLED B6 does not support DV @ 30 Hz. In any case, it looks incredible. I watch movies in DV@24
post #56 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you don't currently subscribe to "Smithsonian Earth 4K" ... they offer a free trial. Once you install it, go and play "Strange Creatures". On my ATV4K (set to DV), it looks incredible. Let me know what you think.
post #57 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
If you don't currently subscribe to "Smithsonian Earth 4K" ... they offer a free trial. Once you install it, go and play "Strange Creatures". On my ATV4K (set to DV), it looks incredible. Let me know what you think.
Just started the trial.. will try it tonight with DV conversion.

LG OLED 55C6P | LG OLED 65B7A | Denon AVR X6200W | Denon AVR X4300H | Parasound 2125 and ATI 1506 Amps | Definitive Technology Speakers /w Earthquake SuperNova MKV-12 with 7.1.4 Atmos | LG UP970 UHD Player | Nvidia Shield | ATV4K | Roku Ultra | Amazon FireTV
post #58 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:

I have a B7 and the menu while set to 4K DV looks horrible. Does yours not? The Netflix lettering on the icon looks almost brown, not the case once I open Netflix. Apple is fixing the menu issue in the next update. As for other programs, played with some settings after initial startup and picture looks amazing now.
post #59 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a B7 and the menu while set to 4K DV looks horrible. Does yours not? The Netflix lettering on the icon looks almost brown, not the case once I open Netflix. Apple is fixing the menu issue in the next update. As for other programs, played with some settings after initial startup and picture looks amazing now.
Share your settings. My B6 (set to DV Dark - BL:36 Br: 52 Ct: 80 Warm2) looks incredible including that Netflix logo on the main page.
post #60 of 76 Old 10-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
No, my icons look perfect - no issues with weird colors etc.

I have B7A with 03.60.16 firmware, and also running tvOS 11.1 (beta 2). Before I was running 11.0 and icons still looked normal.

For DV settings on TV, I use Standard (not Cinema mode, because I don't particularly like yellowish tint it adds). If you are using some heavy Warm2 settings type, it might explain why some colors are not red but more brown (due to warmer color palette).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
atv , hdr , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page