Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 76 Old 09-22-2017, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apple TV 5 Gen HDR dark/dull

I was very happy today when the new apple tv arrived today. I connected it to my Samsung KS9090 and HDR was automatically detected by the ATV. What I find strange is that the picture looks very dark/dull even in the ATVs menus.
I enabled UHD colors on the hdmi port but nothing changed. Background light is turned up to 20. When I change this while an HDR movie is playing (Logan in my case) the picture gets a little bit brighter for a short moment. When I leave the settings the pictures gets darker immediately.
The TV runs the latest firmware 1201.

I am really unhappy with the fact that the SDR picture looks way more impressive than the HDR one.

Anyone here with similar problems? I have no idea what else I could try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 09-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loozifer01 View Post
I was very happy today when the new apple tv arrived today. I connected it to my Samsung KS9090 and HDR was automatically detected by the ATV. What I find strange is that the picture looks very dark/dull even in the ATVs menus.
I enabled UHD colors on the hdmi port but nothing changed. Background light is turned up to 20. When I change this while an HDR movie is playing (Logan in my case) the picture gets a little bit brighter for a short moment. When I leave the settings the pictures gets darker immediately.

I am really unhappy with the fact that the SDR picture looks way more impressive than the HDR one.

Having exactly the same issue. Feeling like the TV is fighting the box but I can't figure it out yet. I've got a Samsung HU9000 with the SEK3500. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
post #3 of 76 Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I am having a similar issue with a Sony XBR-65X750D. The colors of the icons on my homepage are not as vivid in color as they do in SDR. I turned the brightness up to 100 had it at 25 before and also changed the color from 50 to 60. This has helped somewhat but whenever switching back to SDR the colors are just more vivid. I also have the Apple TV to output 4:2:2 color. The tv does display HDR.

post #4 of 76 Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guys. Here is a quick update. I just did a complete factory reset on my tv. The brightness in the menus is now much better. I start to reconfigure my tv settings and do some checks. I'll keep you updated.
post #5 of 76 Old 09-23-2017, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok guys. Here is a quick update. I just did a complete factory reset on my tv. The brightness in the menus is now much better. I start to reconfigure my tv settings and do some checks. I'll keep you updated.
It is half the truth. It is indeed better but not so much that I hoped for. I fooled myself because after the factory reset the dynamic contrast is set to medium
But this effect
Quote:
When I change this while an HDR movie is playing (Logan in my case) the picture gets a little bit brighter for a short moment. When I leave the settings the pictures gets darker immediately.
is gone.
post #6 of 76 Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Progress Update

Ok, I think I've got it dialed in for the most part. I'd say I'm 95% there...

Since my Marantz AV7701 won't handle full 4K HDR I ran the Apple TV directly into the SEK3500 and then ran optical out to the AV 7701.

The SEK3500 allows device specific settings so I set the SEK3500 to the dynamic setting and turned off smoothing and other Samsung specific filters. This ended up giving me what I believe it true 4K 60 hertz HDR. I still have some issues where I see mild striations in the menus where it appears to be some pink showing in bright white background. If anyone has any idea what that may be please let me know.

Otherwise I believe I'm seeing the right gamut and happy with the results and audio.

Hope this helps you guys out...
post #7 of 76 Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Chroma Notation

I was seeing some very mild color banding @ 4:2:2.

Modified to 4:2:0 which eliminated all color banding.

Thanks
post #8 of 76 Old 09-24-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm glad I found others experiencing the same! I have a 55" Samsung KS8000. I brought the Apple TV 4K back to the store today, it was so intolerable.

While I am no AV expert, I do know how to systematically try everything. I tried two different HDMI inputs, swapped HDMI cables, reset the Apple TV, played with dynamic contrast and smart LED, completely changed my brightness and backlight settings, and couldn't make it look as good and saturated as my old Apple TV 4th generation. The 4K SDR output, manually selected from settings, was quite acceptable, but 4K HDR at 60 Hz or 50 Hz was just unsatisfying. The Netflix and Infuse app icons, which have white backgrounds, were rendering in dull gray. I watched an episode of Bojack Horseman and everything was dull.

Together with the upscaling issues brought out by Nilay Patel and discussed in the main thread, I gave up for now. I will probably repurchase if a future software update claims to have solved these issues, but in the meantime I'll hang onto my $179 + tax.
post #9 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

hi, yes having the same problem with my sony xbr 65x930e. spoke to apple today and they want me to send pictures showing the home menu on hdr mode (dull colors) and sdr mode which looks better.
post #10 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadlersberg View Post
hi, yes having the same problem with my sony xbr 65x930e. spoke to apple today and they want me to send pictures showing the home menu on hdr mode (dull colors) and sdr mode which looks better.

That’s interesting. I think it’s quite difficult to catch this in a picture properly. Please keep us updated about their response. Maybe you want to post your pictures here as well.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
post #11 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Just wanted to chime and say ... I have an LG OLED B6 and have no issues with the HDR10 or DV image being dull. Quite to the contrary.
brentsg and JMGNYC like this.
post #12 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Just wanted to chime and say ... I have an LG OLED B6 and have no issues with the HDR10 or DV image being dull. Quite to the contrary.
HDR 4K and DV also look quite good here too on same LG OLED - I tried watching different sources like Arrival, Baby Driver and Despicable Me this morning and was really happy with picture quality.
post #13 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgldan View Post
I'm glad I found others experiencing the same! I have a 55" Samsung KS8000. I brought the Apple TV 4K back to the store today, it was so intolerable.
Another Samsung KS8000 user with the same AppleTV experience, enabling 4K HDR shifts the display into some odd lower brightness/contrast/dull mode. For now reverted to 4K SDR. Same experience with the Chromecast Ultra so certainly something on the Samsung and its handling of HDR.

Sergio Rivera - "It can always look better."
post #14 of 76 Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 PM

Same issue on 2 year-old OLED LG 65EF95000, tried 3 different cables...
post #15 of 76 Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacektv View Post
Same issue on 2 year-old OLED LG 65EF95000, tried 3 different cables...
We need more people to call apple customer support.
post #16 of 76 Old 09-27-2017, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMDA1 View Post
Another Samsung KS8000 user with the same AppleTV experience, enabling 4K HDR shifts the display into some odd lower brightness/contrast/dull mode. For now reverted to 4K SDR. Same experience with the Chromecast Ultra so certainly something on the Samsung and its handling of HDR.
Same KS8000 Here,
But I feel its only the menu that is dull(er).
The Video content does work better in HDR without the Dull/low brightness filter.

For example, Watching a simple preview of Baby Driver in HDR enabled seemed more color natural and defined.
(I know, this preview may not be in 4K or HDR)
post #17 of 76 Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry Apple TV 4k = Crap

Reposting from the other thread:

Another disappointed owner here. Sony x930E, and I've not seen a more dull, washed out image in recent years.
post #18 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggs View Post

Another disappointed owner here. Sony x930E, and I've not seen a more dull, washed out image in recent years.
I have the 940e tried different settings and hdmi cables nothing but a dull picture with the black bars gray/cloudy. In the 940e owners thread other people are saying it looks great I wonder if we have defective units?
post #19 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggs View Post

I have the 940e tried different settings and hdmi cables nothing but a dull picture with the black bars gray/cloudy. In the 940e owners thread other people are saying it looks great I wonder if we have defective units?
post #20 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmdnkristo View Post
maybe we were the lucky ones with defective units.. still waiting for answer from apple on my case
post #21 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Guys please try rebooting your tv there’s a handshake that’s not happening upon initial setup.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #22 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Guys please try rebooting your tv there’s a handshake that’s not happening upon initial setup.
I did , nothing change from the gray dull screen on HDR format.
post #23 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Are going through an Avr or direct? If an AVR make sure your signal is being passed through unmolested. Check you’re have enhanced selected on tv if all else reset ATV and start again. If you read all the threads for all the uhd devices everything is extremely temperamental there’s no one size fit all solution and way to many variables that interact.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #24 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 03:34 PM

Liked: 1
I have a Samsung KS8000 and am having the exact same issue. My TV is perfectly celebrated for HDR content and I have watched plenty on my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. It is clear that something is not right when the Apple TV 4K is set to 4K HDR mode. Not only the menus, but video content is also dull and washed out. I did a comparison watching a 4K HDR movie in both HDR & SDR modes and it was obvious that the HDR mode was much duller than it should be. What's interesting is that when a screensaver is on the screen, suddenly the image really pops. It's like a filter was removed from the screen when the screensaver appears and the image is great. I can actually see this filter being removed and added as I turn the screensaver on and off. I have no idea what's going on.
dadlersberg likes this.
post #25 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Liked: 1
Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJReiter View Post
I have a Samsung KS8000 and am having the exact same issue. My TV is perfectly calibrated for HDR content and I have watched plenty on my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. It is clear that something is not right when the Apple TV 4K is set to 4K HDR mode. Not only the menus, but video content is also dull and washed out. I did a comparison watching a 4K HDR movie in both HDR & SDR modes and it was obvious that the HDR mode was much duller than it should be. What's interesting is that when a screensaver is on the screen, suddenly the image really pops. It's like a filter was removed from the screen when the screensaver appears and the image is great. I can actually see this filter being removed and added as I turn the screensaver on and off. I have no idea what's going on.
Edit
post #26 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Are going through an Avr or direct? If an AVR make sure your signal is being passed through unmolested. Check you’re have enhanced selected on tv if all else reset ATV and start again. If you read all the threads for all the uhd devices everything is extremely temperamental there’s no one size fit all solution and way to many variables that interact.
hi, i have the apple tv directly to tv. tried different hdmi inputs and cables.
post #27 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJReiter View Post
I have a Samsung KS8000 and am having the exact same issue. My TV is perfectly celebrated for HDR content and I have watched plenty on my Xbox One S and PS4 Pro. It is clear that something is not right when the Apple TV 4K is set to 4K HDR mode. Not only the menus, but video content is also dull and washed out. I did a comparison watching a 4K HDR movie in both HDR & SDR modes and it was obvious that the HDR mode was much duller than it should be. What's interesting is that when a screensaver is on the screen, suddenly the image really pops. It's like a filter was removed from the screen when the screensaver appears and the image is great. I can actually see this filter being removed and added as I turn the screensaver on and off. I have no idea what's going on.
did anyone go to apple and exchange for a new one ? maybe we have defective units
post #28 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
I was seeing some very mild color banding @ 4:2:2.

Modified to 4:2:0 which eliminated all color banding.

Thanks
4:2:2 may be forcing 8-bit data paths. If I select 4:2:2 on the Apple TV, I get 8-bit (aka 24-bit) data but if I select 4:2:0, I get 10-but (aka 30-bit) data.

Kevin Windrem
post #29 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Check to make sure your TV's settings for each video format match. I noticed much brighter images from Apple TV when I switched it to HDR, then realized I'd reduced the contrast on my LG OLED65B6P TV for SDR images. When I switched ATV to HDR, the contrast setting jumped back to the factory setting (maximum). Matching settings eliminated the differences.

Kevin Windrem
post #30 of 76 Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwindrem View Post
Check to make sure your TV's settings for each video format match. I noticed much brighter images from Apple TV when I switched it to HDR, then realized I'd reduced the contrast on my LG OLED65B6P TV for SDR images. When I switched ATV to HDR, the contrast setting jumped back to the factory setting (maximum). Matching settings eliminated the differences.

I have done a complete factory reset of my TV. I helped a little bit but I am not satisfied yet. It‘s like SJReiter wrote: I looks like a filter that is removed as soon as either the screensaver is activated or the video settings are changed to SDR.
The settings in the TV are ok: they change automatically according to SDR and HDR modes (background illumination, dynamic led etc.).

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
atv , hdr , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page