Apple TV 4k Audio Sync Problem - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pream View Post
I think (in my case anyway) that what I was seeing was that lip sync is still a bit off with using just stereo and it is just more obvious on some clips. I turned on the audio delay bypass on the E7 along with stereo on the Apple TV and lip sync seems good now.
Glad you got that sorted. Just be nice if the LG let us adjust the negative sync more than it does. That would resolve some things. However, it’s peculiar to me that some apps are in sync and some aren’t - from the TV itself. Sigh...

Thankfully the Apple TV 4K set to stereo is a good place (for Netflix). And Prime Video (until it arrives on Apple TV) is fully in sync over ARC from the TV itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly3r View Post
I have a similar issue. I have an LG E7 and no soundbar, so the AppleTV 4K box is direct to the TV. With Dolby Vision I get audible clicking and about 1-2 seconds of audio sync issues. If I revert to HDR only, no issues. This was prevalent while watching a 4K movie from iTunes. Worked fine in straight HDR but not DV. Yesterday I watched football with Sunday Ticket App, and it appeared the audio sync wasn't an issue in Dolby Vision (but to be honest, I wasn't paying attention to the commercials to check and during the game it would be hard to tell. Perhaps this is just a 4K issue. I am using the supplied power cord and a new high-speed cable. The TV notes it is in Dolby Vision or HDR so I don't think the cable is an issue.
Did your Apple TV give you 4k Dolby Vision at 60 hz as a format option?

Trojanlaw
LG 65E6
LG 55EF6500
Panasonic 55ST60
post #33 of 49 Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Folks, there's a ton of posts about lip sync issues on the LG OLEDs over in those forums when processing certain sound and video modes. I'm pretty sure none of this is due to the Apple TV.

Two cases are mentioned (I'm seeing both):
1. LG TV Apps playing Atmos audio out the ARC port cause significant, unfixable audio delay (Netflix Okja and Vudu - most UHD movies)

2. HDMI inputs to the LG OLED that are inputing 7.1 or Atmos will cause sound leaving ARC to be delayed as well.

There is no solution to #1 for Netflix because they only support LG and XBox One (and that doesn't support DV).
For Vudu, you can use a Chromecast Ultra plugged into an AV Receiver which passes DV through to the LG.

The fix for #2 is to plug all sources into an AV Receiver before the LG Oled.

All the solutions about setting to Stereo, PCM or other are not really solutions that are acceptable in my book for such an expensive Tv.

post #34 of 49 Old 10-06-2017, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Did your Apple TV give you 4k Dolby Vision at 60 hz as a format option?
It did. I have (since my initial post) added an LG SJ9 sound bar and still had some sync issues to the sound bar (using ARC). I think i have resolved this by getting an HDMI cable with ethernet (I think my other cables were without ethernet). I have yet to try another iTunes 4K movie, so I am not sure if the situation is resolved at this point. My other sources through the Apple TV show Dolby Vision and the popping is gone and audio appears to be ok, but the audio stream is Dolby or PCM depending on app (DirecTV now, ESPN, or what have you). I'll use Netflix and Hulu direct from the TV as opposed to the AppleTV.
post #35 of 49 Old 10-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fix:

After spending 3 days on the phone with Apple Support, I have a fix - for anyone using an LG OLED, anyway.
  • Turn off Dolby Atmost

That's it.

Apple TV 4K does not yet have support for Dolby Atmos and as a result conflicts with the TV's settings if Atmos is turned on / enabled.

I hope this proves to be a universal fix for all LG OLED users, anyway.
post #36 of 49 Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Joshua View Post
Fix:

After spending 3 days on the phone with Apple Support, I have a fix - for anyone using an LG OLED, anyway.
  • Turn off Dolby Atmost

That's it.

Apple TV 4K does not yet have support for Dolby Atmos and as a result conflicts with the TV's settings if Atmos is turned on / enabled.

oh well... doesn't look like I have edit rights to correct my spelling error - Dolby Atmost
post #37 of 49 Old 10-08-2017, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Seems like all this only applies to 2017 models not 2016.
post #38 of 49 Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Seems like all this only applies to 2017 models not 2016.
Well, I have a C6 OLED and I’m experiencing audio sync issues with the Apple TV 4K. I have the Apple TV connected directly to my HT-ST5000 soundbar which just received an update to support DV passthrough. When the Apple TV is set to 4K DV, there is a noticeable 1-2 second audio delay. I’ve tried 24Hz and 30Hz... both have the sync issue. Changing audio output to stereo doesn’t help.

When the Apple TV is set to 4K HDR at 24, 30, or 60Hz, audio is synced perfectly. Likewise, DV @ 1080p/60Hz is in sync.

The only solution for me is to use the soundbar’s sync adjustment if I want to keep 4K DV enabled.

I’m not sure what’s causing the issue. Hopefully it’s something Apple can fix, because I’m not holding my breath for anymore major firmware updates for the C6.
post #39 of 49 Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post
Okay. Fixed it.

When installing it, I just used the previous gen (previous as in it was the most current yesterday) power cable. Didn't was to have to move wires and it looks identical.
This fixed it all.
Strange. Guess the new power cable is capable of carrying just a little more juice?
Oh well. I'm happy (minus the horrible crushed blacks on anything not HDR and 4k with the new Apple TV )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Changing the TV's bypass setting did the trick for me, but glad to know I'm not the only one having issues with crushed blacks. It's made HBO Now unwatchable. Hulu and Vudu are much better, but still not great.
post #40 of 49 Old 10-14-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Lotowycz View Post
Changing the TV's bypass setting did the trick for me, but glad to know I'm not the only one having issues with crushed blacks. It's made HBO Now unwatchable. Hulu and Vudu are much better, but still not great.
Crushed blacks? What picture mode are you using on the 4K Apple TV?
post #41 of 49 Old 10-14-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Joshua View Post
Fix:

• Turn off Dolby Atmost

That's it.

I was hopeful this would work since I had not tried this. audio only slightly better. for me when in dolby vision the audio sync issue goes away when set to 24hz
post #42 of 49 Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Crushed blacks? What picture mode are you using on the 4K Apple TV?
It's a problem regardless of the setting. I've been sticking with 1080p SDR for these apps given the content. I switched over to using the HBO channel on my TV's Amazon app and it's a night and day difference. Hulu and Vudu are marginally better on my TV's apps than the 4K Apple TV. No issue whatsoever when using the Apple for 4K content.
post #43 of 49 Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LG Firmware Update Fixes Apple 4K Audio Sync Issues

Yesterday, LG released a firmware update for my OLED65E7P that fixed the audio sync issue. I believe this update (04.70.07) is being released for many LG models. The update started rolling out on October 16th and is expected to be available in all regions by the 20th.

The update adds "support for Dolby Atmos True HD playback over HDMI." I suspect this is the factor that solves the Apple TV 4K audio sync issues.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #44 of 49 Old 10-17-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmcintosh View Post
Yesterday, LG released a firmware update for my OLED65E7P that fixed the audio sync issue. I believe this update (04.70.07) is being released for many LG models. The update started rolling out on October 16th and is expected to be available in all regions by the 20th.

The update adds "support for Dolby Atmos True HD playback over HDMI." I suspect this is the factor that solves the Apple TV 4K audio sync issues.
Didn’t solve anything for me. I need to leave the Apple TV 4K set to stereo to avoid a/v sync issues in e.g. Netflix etc - over ARC.
post #45 of 49 Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Didn’t solve anything for me. I need to leave the Apple TV 4K set to stereo to avoid a/v sync issues in e.g. Netflix etc - over ARC.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe the fix was limited to LG B7, C7, E7, G7 and W7 OLEDs that support Dolby Atmos. Not sure.
post #46 of 49 Old 10-17-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Maybe the fix was limited to LG B7, C7, E7, G7 and W7 OLEDs that support Dolby Atmos. Not sure.
I have the C7, so that's not the case.
post #47 of 49 Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got this probably too with AppleTV 4K through a Marantz. Only seems to happen with Dolby Vision. 60Hz is apparently not an option for 2016 TV's (mine's a 65E6P), so I can only do Dolby vision in either 30 or 24 (I think 25 is an option too). 24Hz audio is badly out of sync. It seems much better at 30Hz, but still might have slight issues (I think watchable, but I'll have to see). HDR does not have this issue, nor does SDR. One other weird thing - TV menus are VERY slow when Dolby Atmos is engaged, so I'm wondering if the TV is trying to process too much...
post #48 of 49 Old 10-18-2017, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Any release notes on this? guess ill check the lg website.
post #49 of 49 Old 10-18-2017, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I've done some more testing, and my issues are a little different than the others posted here. For reference, I'm running an LG 65E6P (2016), Marantz SR7011 Receiver, and of course the AppleTV 4K.

SDR and HDR seem to work perfectly at all Hz (60 and 24 are what I've played with most; honestly, I'm not sure I can tell the difference, so I'm guessing at 60Hz it can compensate somehow where it can't at 30) Unfortunately, 2016 LG models can't do Dolby Vision at 60Hz, so the only choices are 30Hz, 25Hz, and 24Hz. The consensus seems to be 24Hz is best since most movies are shot that way, but for me, it's the ONLY mode that has audio out of sync. 30Hz works fine audio-wise, but seems to make the picture judder more (presumably the doubled frames to make the math work). Switching to stereo, etc. doesn't seem to fix the audio sync in 24Hz. Gonna write Apple, LG, and Marantz and see if I can figure out a workaround, as I'd really like to be able to enjoy Dolby Vision content to the maximum. As it stands, I'll have to choose between HDR at the right Hz or Dolby Vision at the wrong one to make lip sync function.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears and would be very grateful. As far as the Atmos firmware update, I'm hopeful maybe that'll help IF the 2016 LG models get it, which I don't think has been confirmed at this time. I'm also hoping the "known issue" mentioned from Apple will fixed it when patched, but since your issues seem to be a tad difference, I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page