Apple TV 4k Audio Sync Problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Apple TV 4k Audio Sync Problem

Just set it up to my LG W7 directly into the sound bar. Tried multiple cables. Having audio popping issues and all the audio is about 1/2-1 second behind the video.

Anyone else?

This is in 4k Dolby vision set as my output. I've changed the audio out to everything I can but it doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post
Just set it up to my LG W7 directly into the sound bar. Tried multiple cables. Having audio popping issues and all the audio is about 1/2-1 second behind the video.

Anyone else?

This is in 4k Dolby vision set as my output. I've changed the audio out to everything I can but it doesn't help.

What happens if you turn on the tv's speakers and don't use the soundbar, do you get the same problem. Try that first.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #3 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
What happens if you turn on the tv's speakers and don't use the soundbar, do you get the same problem. Try that first.

Since it's an LG W7 (wallpaper OLED), you have to use the sound bar. That's where the guts are. I have no issues with any other devices here. The last gen apple TV was plugged into the same HDMI.

post #4 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Since it's an LG W7 (wallpaper OLED), you have to use the sound bar. That's where the guts are. I have no issues with any other devices here. The last gen apple TV was plugged into the same HDMI.

Well that rules out most HDMI hand shaking issues. I'll have to think about this a bit more, it sounding like the digital stream is switching in and out but I'm not sure why yet.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #5 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4534 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Quote:

Try going into sound settings on your tv, enable av sync and then enable bypass.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #6 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Try going into sound settings on your tv, enable av sync and then enable bypass.

Actually made it worse ;(

post #7 of 49 Old 09-22-2017, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay. Fixed it.

When installing it, I just used the previous gen (previous as in it was the most current yesterday) power cable. Didn't was to have to move wires and it looks identical.
This fixed it all.
Strange. Guess the new power cable is capable of carrying just a little more juice?
Oh well. I'm happy (minus the horrible crushed blacks on anything not HDR and 4k with the new Apple TV )

post #8 of 49 Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Liked: 12
I have a similar issue. I have an LG E7 and no soundbar, so the AppleTV 4K box is direct to the TV. With Dolby Vision I get audible clicking and about 1-2 seconds of audio sync issues. If I revert to HDR only, no issues. This was prevalent while watching a 4K movie from iTunes. Worked fine in straight HDR but not DV. Yesterday I watched football with Sunday Ticket App, and it appeared the audio sync wasn't an issue in Dolby Vision (but to be honest, I wasn't paying attention to the commercials to check and during the game it would be hard to tell. Perhaps this is just a 4K issue. I am using the supplied power cord and a new high-speed cable. The TV notes it is in Dolby Vision or HDR so I don't think the cable is an issue.
post #9 of 49 Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I?m having audio sync issues as well from Apple TV 4K to my LG C7. If I changed the sound setting on the Apple TV to stereo, it works fine. When set to the highest quality possible, I get the delay. The closest I have got it is when I enable AV sync bypass on the TV but it?s still not quite right. Very frustrating.

I did purchase a new high speed HDMI cable. I get the delay using the internal speakers as well as the LG SJ9 soundbar.
post #10 of 49 Old 09-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly72 View Post
I?m having audio sync issues as well from Apple TV 4K to my LG C7. If I changed the sound setting on the Apple TV to stereo, it works fine. When set to the highest quality possible, I get the delay. The closest I have got it is when I enable AV sync bypass on the TV but it?s still not quite right. Very frustrating.

I did purchase a new high speed HDMI cable. I get the delay using the internal speakers as well as the LG SJ9 soundbar.
same here issues with my 65C7, finally use HDR DV @24hz and solve my 4k movies.
post #11 of 49 Old 09-26-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I'm seeing this on a Vizio P75. Need to do more testing of modes. Very slight out-of-sync though. I have the TV in game mode, which I run for everything, and usually has taken care of sync issues on other devices.

Gear: Vizio P75, Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen3 (coming), Triad Silver 7.2.4
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Oppo 203, Xbox, PS, Switch, PC
Xbox Live: TrackZ
PSN: TrackZ
Steam/PC: TrackZ06
post #12 of 49 Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having audio sync problems with an Apple TV 4k + LG C7 as well, however only with Netflix. Audio sync set to by-pass gets it closest but it's still off. This is with the ATV set to output 4k Dolby Vision. I don't think I get it if the ATV is set to output 4k SDR but I've left it on Dolby Vision as it's only Netflix affected and I'd always use the TV Netflix app anyway.
post #13 of 49 Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LG OLED B7A/Apple TV 4K Audio Sync

I am having the same issue as everyone else with my LG OLED. I have tried all of your suggestions and still the same issue but only with iTunes purchased movies (4k and non 4K) and tv shows. I opened a ticket with Apple support and they seemed to not know it was going on. Has anyone had any luck?
post #14 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.j. Rep View Post
I am having the same issue as everyone else with my LG OLED. I have tried all of your suggestions and still the same issue but only with iTunes purchased movies (4k and non 4K) and tv shows. I opened a ticket with Apple support and they seemed to not know it was going on. Has anyone had any luck?
try changing to 24hz setting, this worked for me. I am curious about the power cable the other user said fixed his issue. I'm going to try that too. For me the delay was with all content when set to Dolby Vision 60hz, changing it to 24hz took care of the delay. I'm still monitoring the sound sync issues with this thing. I actually picked this up again yesterday from best buy so i can test further. I was very quick to return it when I bought it on release day from Apple because of the audio sync issue and no native setting for video output. Any way I got 45 days to decide if Ill keep it this time.
post #15 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
try changing to 24hz setting, this worked for me. I am curious about the power cable the other user said fixed his issue. I'm going to try that too. For me the delay was with all content when set to Dolby Vision 60hz, changing it to 24hz took care of the delay. I'm still monitoring the sound sync issues with this thing. I actually picked this up again yesterday from best buy so i can test further. I was very quick to return it when I bought it on release day from Apple because of the audio sync issue and no native setting for video output. Any way I got 45 days to decide if Ill keep it this time.

Exact same issue with my b7 using ARC to a Yamaha 7810. 24hz appears to fix. I’m also using my old power cable for the appletv. And the audio is only off with Dolby Vision 60hz 24 frame type content. Hulu and YouTube are perfectly in sync at 60hz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss312 View Post
Exact same issue with my b7 using ARC to a Yamaha 7810. 24hz appears to fix. I’m also using my old power cable for the appletv. And the audio is only off with Dolby Vision 60hz 24 frame type content. Hulu and YouTube are perfectly in sync at 60hz.

Old power cable unfortunately did nothing for me, but yes 24hz seems to fix.
post #17 of 49 Old 09-30-2017, 08:36 AM

Liked: 14
I switched the power cable and it didn’t make a difference.

post #18 of 49 Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly72 View Post

Connected to my C7 via ARC to my Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar, switching the Apple TV 4K to stereo and Bypass set to on on the TV gives me perfect sync in Netflix etc (set to 4K 60 SDR). Set to 5.1 on the Apple TV is hopeless.

Thanks for the tip on stereo setting. I’ll live with that for now with my soundbar.
post #19 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:13 PM

I am struggling with this lip sync (using integrated TV soundbar) on my E7 with Apple TV 4K as well. The sync seems to be off more than the LG can correct for. I tried the Dolby Vision 24hz option and was able to get the Apple version of Spiderman homecoming working "ok", but I frequently had to stop and restart play as the sync was drifting. I love Apple, but I am not a fan of this new 4K version. I did update Apple TV to the new 11.1 beta, but the issues persist. I am also seeing sync issues with the YouTube and Plex apps.

Using the WebOS apps along with Chromecast Ultra is giving me much better results at the moment.
post #20 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pream View Post
I am struggling with this lip sync (using integrated TV soundbar) on my E7 with Apple TV 4K as well. The sync seems to be off more than the LG can correct for. I tried the Dolby Vision 24hz option and was able to get the Apple version of Spiderman homecoming working "ok", but I frequently had to stop and restart play as the sync was drifting. I love Apple, but I am not a fan of this new 4K version. I did update Apple TV to the new 11.1 beta, but the issues persist. I am also seeing sync issues with the YouTube and Plex apps.

Using the WebOS apps along with Chromecast Ultra is giving me much better results at the moment.
Out of interest, how well does the Netflix built-in TV app work with your integrated soundbar? Fire up episode 1 of "Weeds" for example, and see how that plays. It's unwatchable for me from my C7 to my Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar. Some shows are worse than others, and Weeds is REALLY bad.

Prime Video is spot on from the C7P to my soundbar, so something about the way the Netflix app works is just... off. I have the same issue from the Apple TV's Netflix app unless I set the Apple TV to stereo instead of 5.1.
post #21 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Out of interest, how well does the Netflix built-in TV app work with your integrated soundbar? Fire up episode 1 of "Weeds" for example, and see how that plays. It's unwatchable for me from my C7 to my Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar. Some shows are worse than others, and Weeds is REALLY bad.

Prime Video is spot on from the C7P to my soundbar, so something about the way the Netflix app works is just... off. I have the same issue from the Apple TV's Netflix app unless I set the Apple TV to stereo instead of 5.1.
I have only had the E7 for a week, but I have not had any lip sync issues apart from the Apple TV 4K.

The internal Netflix app works great and I normally use that for Netflix. I also have no issues with Prime Video or using built-in Photos and Videos to watch media from Plex over DLNA. For Hulu and YouTube, the WebOS apps are not great, so I am browsing on my iPad and then using Chromecast. I picked the Chromecast up on a whim and am surprised by how much I like it!
post #22 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have only had the E7 for a week, but I have not had any lip sync issues apart from the Apple TV 4K.

The internal Netflix app works great and I normally use that for Netflix. I also have no issues with Prime Video or using built-in Photos and Videos to watch media from Plex over DLNA. For Hulu and YouTube, the WebOS apps are not great, so I am browsing on my iPad and then using Chromecast. I picked the Chromecast up on a whim and am surprised by how much I like it!
Interesting you have no a/v sync issues. Though I suppose... technically it's not a sound-bar, and more of the "built-in speakers" type of situation. I mean, you're not using ARC like I am from the TV over HDMI to my soundbar.
post #23 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know this isn't a great solution, but set the ATV audio to PCM. See if that clears up the lip sync issue.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #24 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know this isn't a great solution, but set the ATV audio to PCM. See if that clears up the lip sync issue.
I'm assuming PCM = Stereo, in this case. Setting the ATV to Stereo solved my lip-sync issues over ARC. Downside is... of course... that it's stereo.
post #25 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm assuming PCM = Stereo, in this case. Setting the ATV to Stereo solved my lip-sync issues over ARC. Downside is... of course... that it's stereo.
Yes, PCM is usually 2.1.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #26 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, PCM is usually 2.1.
Well... that depends. But I hear you. I still have a bunch of movies that are PCM 5.1, and if your receiver doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, some devices will output that audio as PCM 5.1 etc if necessary.

Either way, I hear you.

So, do we know WHY this lip-sync issue is such a pain with Dolby 5.1, but not in PCM 2.1?
post #27 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well... that depends. But I hear you. I still have a bunch of movies that are PCM 5.1, and if your receiver doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, some devices will output that audio as PCM 5.1 etc if necessary.

Either way, I hear you.

So, do we know WHY this lip-sync issue is such a pain with Dolby 5.1, but not in PCM 2.1?
I know i have had lip sync issues with my OPPO 203 playing DV movies with OPPO connected to my LG E6 and optical from tv to my avr. I have no issues with HDR10 movies with the player set to bitstream, just with DV HDR movies at times. Since I only have a 2.1 system connected to my AVR, it just simpler for me to set everything to PCM, even though the sound is not as loud as bitstream when avr is is set to the same volume setting.

LG 65E6P FW 05.30.02
LG 65EF9500
post #28 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that! Switching to "stereo" in the audio settings seems to fix the lip sync with Apple content (hopefully the drifting has stopped as well). I did just try youTube from the Apple TV and it is still out of sync, so not sure what other apps will still have issues.
post #29 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that! Switching to "stereo" in the audio settings seems to fix the lip sync with Apple content (hopefully the drifting has stopped as well). I did just try youTube from the Apple TV and it is still out of sync, so not sure what other apps will still have issues.
Let me try YouTube on Apple TV and see what happens...

*update*

Just tried. Perfect sync when I set the Apple TV to stereo.
post #30 of 49 Old 10-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Let me try YouTube on Apple TV and see what happens...

*update*

Just tried. Perfect sync when I set the Apple TV to stereo.
I think (in my case anyway) that what I was seeing was that lip sync is still a bit off with using just stereo and it is just more obvious on some clips. I turned on the audio delay bypass on the E7 along with stereo on the Apple TV and lip sync seems good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page