In preparation for Star Trek: Discovery, does CBS All Access have 5.1 surround sound - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By spencer777
  • 2 Post By snidely
  • 2 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In preparation for Star Trek: Discovery, does CBS All Access have 5.1 surround sound?

I can't seem to find a clear answer after some Googling. Does CBS All Access support 5.1 surround sound, and if it does, is it limited to certain platforms (e.g. Roku, PS4, Chromecast)?

I plan to use CBS All Access through the PS4, but am nervous that (like Hulu), it'll lack 5.1 support. Surround will be awesome for Star Trek: Discovery, which looks to be an AV-spectacle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Comp625; 09-24-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I can't seem to find a clear answer after some Googling. Does CBS All Access support 5.1 surround sound, and if it does, is it limited to certain platforms (e.g. Roku, PS4, Chromecast)?

I plan to use CBS All Access through the PS4, but am nervous that (like Hulu), it'll lack 5.1 support. Surround will be awesome for Star Trek: Discovery, which looks to be an AV-spectacle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
No surround on any platform at this time...HOWEVER the first episode will be on CBS Network Sun night 9-24-17 so you can an idea what it would sound like in surround. Should be 8pm eastern and pacific subject to any football overruns of course.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #3 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sucks we have to pay extra to watch it at an inferior quality. I see purchasing the Bluray in the future if it's good.
yanks1 likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah no 5.1 for CBS All Access, which in 2017 is absolutely ridiculous. (I'm looking at you too, Hulu.)

Just watched the first episode... I was very impressed. And my PLII did a pretty good job of making it sound cinematic. Gave the sub a +4dB boost and we were in business.

Now, it's my understanding that these episodes will be available on iTunes in the US, and on Netflix in 100's of other countries. There's your sources for a 5.1 mix.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Strube View Post
Yeah no 5.1 for CBS All Access, which in 2017 is absolutely ridiculous. (I'm looking at you too, Hulu.)

Just watched the first episode... I was very impressed. And my PLII did a pretty good job of making it sound cinematic. Gave the sub a +4dB boost and we were in business.

Now, it's my understanding that these episodes will be available on iTunes in the US, and on Netflix in 100's of other countries. There's your sources for a 5.1 mix.
On CBS tonight it was in 5.1. Of course, that was a one off.

It is on Netflix in other regions but no chance it's going to be on iTunes. At least, not until sometime next year when the season is over. Putting it on iTunes would defeat the purpose of trying to get people to sign up for CBS AA which is what CBS wants.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-24-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 44
We watched episode 1. Will wait a few months then binge watch the series. Not going to pay $6/mo. for a one program channel.
MCaugusto and yanks1 like this.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 AM
boo
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am just going to wait for it to be on sale at Vudu, the Good Fight was for sale there about two months after the season finale, I would assume Star Trek will be also.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of resolution were people able to get with the CBS All Access App?

I'm using a Fire TV and it is topping out at 1024x576. The picture looks very soft (not even 720P).

My network bandwidth allows me to stream 1080P and 4K (barely) with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

Is the 1024x576 a limitation of CBS All Access, the Fire TV, or something else?

To see this resolution, I put the Fire TV in the debug/developer mode. (Hold the remote center button and down "arrow" for five seconds, then lift up, and hit the "menu" (3 vertical bars) button, and turn on the "Advanced Options".)
post #9 of 20 Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone streaming CBS All Access successfully on a XBox One or (for me) a Xbox 360? Reddit forums and Google searches yield mixed results and successes if any at all.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJGuillot View Post
What kind of resolution were people able to get with the CBS All Access App?

I'm using a Fire TV and it is topping out at 1024x576. The picture looks very soft (not even 720P).

My network bandwidth allows me to stream 1080P and 4K (barely) with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

Is the 1024x576 a limitation of CBS All Access, the Fire TV, or something else?

To see this resolution, I put the Fire TV in the debug/developer mode. (Hold the remote center button and down "arrow" for five seconds, then lift up, and hit the "menu" (3 vertical bars) button, and turn on the "Advanced Options".)
I agree that the picture looks a little soft -- tested on both the PS4 and PC browser through Chrome. Also, I'm noticing that the footage's RGB color space is off. In the pilot episode where Burnham is in space, space itself is a dark gray (and not black). Yet, the horizontal black bars on the top and bottom were properly black.

I was OP; can confirm that it is 2.0 stereo only on both PS4 and PC. Sigh...
post #11 of 20 Old 10-02-2017, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use an Apple TV 4 and it doesn't seem that soft, when the service first started it was worse. Now it's not quite as good as some things on Netflix, but as good as Hulu. When shooting with HD video cameras there still is the tendency to go for a film look when will make things look softer. That won't help what you're watching. There may be problems on CBS's end with feeds to different streaming devices, people are not jumping for joy in Roku land either.
post #12 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
We watched episode 1. Will wait a few months then binge watch the series. Not going to pay $6/mo. for a one program channel.
I'm paying now, enjoying now because $6 isn't going to break me (plus there's other CBS stuff on there, including classic shows).
And to help make sure there's a Season 2.

The lack of 5.1 on this and Hulu is really annoying though.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #13 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I'm paying now, enjoying now because $6 isn't going to break me (plus there's other CBS stuff on there, including classic shows).
And to help make sure there's a Season 2.

The lack of 5.1 on this and Hulu is really annoying though.
The after show is interesting too. I also want a season 2, so I'll gladly pay.
PeterTHX and yanks1 like this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #14 of 20 Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The after show is interesting too. I also want a season 2, so I'll gladly pay.
You guys made good points. OTH - don't want network stations to start going the PPV route for their popular programs - that also have advertising.
Glad to hear it's good.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I use an Apple TV 4 and it doesn't seem that soft, when the service first started it was worse. Now it's not quite as good as some things on Netflix, but as good as Hulu. When shooting with HD video cameras there still is the tendency to go for a film look when will make things look softer. That won't help what you're watching. There may be problems on CBS's end with feeds to different streaming devices, people are not jumping for joy in Roku land either.
Is CBS All Access' color space wrong? Blacks seem very gray. I've tried watching it through both the PS4 via app and PC (via Chrome browser) and problem persists on both devices.

Color space and blacks are fine in everything else: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, even the damn CBS website itself. I watch on a plasma TV so the wrong black levels are very apparent.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-15-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is CBS All Access' color space wrong? Blacks seem very gray. I've tried watching it through both the PS4 via app and PC (via Chrome browser) and problem persists on both devices.

Color space and blacks are fine in everything else: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, even the damn CBS website itself. I watch on a plasma TV so the wrong black levels are very apparent.
I also watch on a plasma, i don't see the problem. The black bars from letter boxing are a lot more apparent. Try browsers other than Chrome too.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I also watch on a plasma, i don't see the problem. The black bars from letter boxing are a lot more apparent. Try browsers other than Chrome too.
What device (i.e. Roku?) and app are you watching on (CBS AA or Netflix)?

On mine, the letterbox bars are correctly black, but blacks within the film image itself are gray.

Here are two quick pictures; pardon the smartphone quality and daytime window glare.

TNG via Netflix App on Playstation 4

Discovery via CBS AA App on Playstation 4 (again, same problem happens on PC browser version too)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TNGSpace-small.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	2299088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiscoverySpace-small.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	2299090  
post #18 of 20 Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6421 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
Quote:

Everything looks fine from the CBS All Access app with my Roku Ultra, 4K FireTV, and my Sony UHD TV.
The black bars are black from all of them.

I'll need to try from my PS4 Pro sometime.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19 of 20 Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What device (i.e. Roku?) and app are you watching on (CBS AA or Netflix)?

On mine, the letterbox bars are correctly black, but blacks within the film image itself are gray.

Here are two quick pictures; pardon the smartphone quality and daytime window glare.

TNG via Netflix App on Playstation 4

Discovery via CBS AA App on Playstation 4 (again, same problem happens on PC browser version too)
To get a better handle on what's going on pull up that TNG Star Trek episode on CBS All Access (They have them all). Comparing apps is apples and oranges, the material needs to all be tested on the same app.

post #20 of 20 Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6421 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
I just looked at CBS All Access from my PS4 Pro. Black levels are fine there too. No raised black levels. It looks the same as from my other devices.

My PS4 Pro is outputting 24 bit RGB at 2160P60 when using the CBS All Access app.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page