Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
beginner

hello, I have been slowly building a Blu ray collection. As we all know boxes take up space. I have been thinking about uploading some blu rays to a harddrive. I dont know where to start really. Becuase i'm not sure about which products to get so i dont lose any visual or audio from the blu ray when uploading. Which program to use when up loading the blu rays.

thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 646
MakeMKV will copy the video and audio untouched into an MKV container.

post #3 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepie89 View Post
hello, I have been slowly building a Blu ray collection. As we all know boxes take up space. I have been thinking about uploading some blu rays to a harddrive. I dont know where to start really. Becuase i'm not sure about which products to get so i dont lose any visual or audio from the blu ray when uploading. Which program to use when up loading the blu rays.

thanks for any input.
MakeMKV is the defacto standard for lossless ripping. It's a straight bit for bit copy. The product is still in beta, so free if you keep getting beta keys from the message board. Fairly easy to use. Scan the disk, pick which title(s) you want to rip (just the movie, special features, etc...) and go.

Things to consider:
How much drive space you need. Uncompressed blu rays ripped with MakeMKV (best tool for the job imho) are going to take 20-40 gig each. DVDs about 4-7. It adds up quick. I've got about 650 movies, about 30% blu rays. So far, I've ripped about 240, about half of them blu rays, which has taken about 3.6TB of drive space. In my case, I'm ripping feature only, no special materials. Figure when I'm interested in those I can grab the disc.

Playback device. Is it the PC you're loading them on or another device? Will you need a transcoding application like Plex? Do you have enough network bandwidth to stream? If it's straight streaming with no transcode, be sure the device can work with whatever share you set up on the PC (some things don't play nice with SMB and take tweaking, plus it's slower and can stutter on high bandwidth video).

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.

post #4 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Quote:

thanks for any input.
MakeMKV is the defacto standard for lossless ripping. It's a straight bit for bit copy. The product is still in beta, so free if you keep getting beta keys from the message board. Fairly easy to use. Scan the disk, pick which title(s) you want to rip (just the movie, special features, etc...) and go.

Things to consider:
How much drive space you need. Uncompressed blu rays ripped with MakeMKV (best tool for the job imho) are going to take 20-40 gig each. DVDs about 4-7. It adds up quick. I've got about 650 movies, about 30% blu rays. So far, I've ripped about 240, about half of them blu rays, which has taken about 3.6TB of drive space. In my case, I'm ripping feature only, no special materials. Figure when I'm interested in those I can grab the disc.

Playback device. Is it the PC you're loading them on or another device? Will you need a transcoding application like Plex? Do you have enough network bandwidth to stream? If it's straight streaming with no transcode, be sure the device can work with whatever share you set up on the PC (some things don't play nice with SMB and take tweaking, plus it's slower and can stutter on high bandwidth video).
thanks guys for the input. i have things to consider. I was thinking about loading them on to my pc and stream to my xbox x (that i preordered) or probably have to buy a better player. i hope i could use this for streaming.

do you use external hard drives? what device's do you use to connect and what have you found to work best with each other? I figured its more then just burning some blu ray to a hard drive and just stream to another device.
post #5 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Depending on the size of your collection (or how much you want to rip), a NAS server is a good idea. There are several to choose from, just a little research on where to start and how much room you want to grow, etc... I went with a Synology NAS (DS 916+) and started with 4 3tb drives. Figure that should get the majority of my collection with a little room to spare (also putting all my photos and music on there). You can expect to spend anywhere from a few hundred to a couple grand to get started there.

For playback in my theater, I put Kodi on an Odroid C2. Total investment was probably $75. It connects to NFS share on the NAS, supports 4k and Atmos (not that I have any 4k movies yet, but...). Works like a charm.

Now, I also happen to have TiVos connected to pretty much every TV in my house, and TiVo happens to have a Plex app on it. So I also set up a Plex server on my PC, connected to the same shares on the NAS server, and now I have access to my collection from the theater as well as any TV in the house. Plus my Android devices, and if I really want, from anywhere in the world (I just haven't set up my firewall to allow Plex to go out yet). The trick with Plex is how much horsepower you need for the server, and it's really based on how many simultaneous streams might be going, and what quality video. In my case, it's just a couple streams, so my home PC has more than enough juice to do it.

I haven't looked at specs on the XBox X yet to know what it can connect to and stream from, or what video quality, etc... If it works, you're off and running.

I'd start by grabbing MakeMKV and rip a couple titles to your PC hard drive. To play them locally, something like VLC works great. Then you can set up shares and see if the XBox can connect (once you get it). Assuming your PC is a Windows box, they don't do NFS shares without a good bit of effort (or software), so you can start with SMB and see how it goes. Getting Kodi to see that can be a bit tricky, but there are some guides out there.
post #6 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

the plan is now to download MakeMKV. I have been looking more in to plex so i might use this to stream my videos on my devices. it seems easy to use for someone who really isnt tech savy. when i get my xbox i will give it a test run and see if it works. If it all works well, then i will purchase a NAS and start ripping and buying more blu rays and build my collection. also NAS is bascially a extrenal hard drive that can hold tons of data. becuase my pc that i have is really just a gaming pc. i would have to buy a extrenal blu ray drive to be able to rip them anyways. I dont want to have my gaming pc drives filled up with movies. fyi, i'm gonna be using this for movies and nothing more as of now.

my worries is that i dont want to lose any video or sound quality from ripping them and to streaming to devices. maybe, its just my little understanding of this. I just loke the idea of having everything in a storage and be able to access it woth digging/looking for movies on a shelf or in a box.
post #7 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
my worries is that i dont want to lose any video or sound quality from ripping them and to streaming to devices. maybe, its just my little understanding of this. I just loke the idea of having everything in a storage and be able to access it woth digging/looking for movies on a shelf or in a box.
The files you rip with MakeMKV are bit for bit copies just decrypted and put into a container file. If you play them directly (using something like Kodi), it will be the same quality as if it's coming from the disc.

Plex will transcode to match the device it's playing. I think it's possible to set Plex to not transcode, but not positive there. If it is transcoding, you're going to have some potential compression artifacts or the like, but in my experience they're pretty rare and minimal.

post #8 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The files you rip with MakeMKV are bit for bit copies just decrypted and put into a container file. If you play them directly (using something like Kodi), it will be the same quality as if it's coming from the disc.

Plex will transcode to match the device it's playing. I think it's possible to set Plex to not transcode, but not positive there. If it is transcoding, you're going to have some potential compression artifacts or the like, but in my experience they're pretty rare and minimal.
To prevent Plex from transcoding you need a device able to playback your media's codecs. That means a PC or Nvidia Shield. Using a game console, AppleTV, or FireTV will lead to transcoding.

post #9 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
To prevent Plex from transcoding you need a device able to playback your media's codecs. That means a PC or Nvidia Shield. Using a game console, AppleTV, or FireTV will lead to transcoding.
I was doing a little Googling on the topic and it seemed even that's not a guarantee. Still, I love having my library a click away on any TV in the house, so I'm good with Plex doing it's thang. I've really only noticed artifacts once or twice. And I've got Kodi in the theater, so don't have to worry about it on projector.

post #10 of 46 Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have been looking in to this more too. I was watching a video about this topic and in the video the guy mentions that spmc is a little bit better to use instead of kodi for streaming movies. he was using the sheild. which looks like a good peice of equipmemt i may get instead of trying to use my xbox.

so now, i'm gaining a bit more of a unstanding of how to proceed with what to get. My plan is to first get a blu ray burner, download makemkv, rip some blu rays, buy the Synology NAS DS 916+ purchase the shield, download kodi and or spmc and hopefully i will be able to stream. would using a Ethernet cable be better then trying to use wifi? everything is pretty much couple feet from each other.

I have another question, i came upon a thread that was on here about streaming blu rays from a pc to a device. hes delimma was that he couldn't get dts-hd to play on hes pre-receiver. eventually, turn out that the pc he was using to rip blu rays didnt have a sound card that was good enough. i dont know if i understood it right becuase i dont understand why that would matter.
post #11 of 46 Old 09-30-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have been looking in to this more too. I was watching a video about this topic and in the video the guy mentions that spmc is a little bit better to use instead of kodi for streaming movies. he was using the sheild. which looks like a good peice of equipmemt i may get instead of trying to use my xbox.

so now, i'm gaining a bit more of a unstanding of how to proceed with what to get. My plan is to first get a blu ray burner, download makemkv, rip some blu rays, buy the Synology NAS DS 916+ purchase the shield, download kodi and or spmc and hopefully i will be able to stream. would using a Ethernet cable be better then trying to use wifi? everything is pretty much couple feet from each other.

I have another question, i came upon a thread that was on here about streaming blu rays from a pc to a device. hes delimma was that he couldn't get dts-hd to play on hes pre-receiver. eventually, turn out that the pc he was using to rip blu rays didnt have a sound card that was good enough. i dont know if i understood it right becuase i dont understand why that would matter.
Couple things. First, you shouldn't need a blu ray "burner", just a drive, unless you just want a burner. SPMC is an Android specific fork of Kodi. If you're looking at a Shield as your player device, might be a good thing. Even the developer will say try the official Kodi build first, then try SPMC if you have problems. If you're wanting the Shield for all of the other toys it includes, definitely a good little box. If you just need something to run Kodi, the Odriod with LibreELEC and Kodi can be had for less than half the cost, so it's just a matter of the features you want.

As far as WiFi goes. 1080p doesn't do well on most WiFi setups. AC band can handle it sometimes, but I've never gotten a good high bitrate 1080p file to stream cleanly. So if you're ripping with no compression or the like, newer movies are going to have trouble. Wired is generally your best bet. My theater's current connection to the router is via MoCA, and it can handle up to 10bit 4k at 140mbps... barely. I've been meaning to try the MoCA 2 standard or powerline to see if that gets me the extra speed.

post #12 of 46 Old 09-30-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Odriod looks pretty interesting. i'm not sure, how to really use it. i would need some sort of case for it. I do also like having netflix and amazon prime to use too. i might just stick with the sheild. I see, so i would most diffently use hard wire becuase i would like to get 4k and use atmos eventually. now, i'm searching about this MoCA 2..now do you have one or two hooked up? i have been looking at videos and some people have it connected to their cable box and router. unless i only need one and it hooks up to my router then to the sheild if i go ahead and purchase it.

I also have been reading more about that Synology NAS DS 916+. some poeple said that it sometimes has trouble pushing out 4k or higher resolution. is this the case with yours?

also side, question. would it make sense to build a dedicated htpc for this process to rip and hold all the data?
post #13 of 46 Old 09-30-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

MoCA normally needs 2. You'd need one connected to your router, and the other at the device level. About the only time you'd do one is if you're dealing with a device that has built in MoCA (some TiVos for example do). Same with powerline network devices. One at the router, then one at the device end.

Supposedly there is a Netflix addon coming for Kodi, but nothing on Amazon Prime (at least not official addons). As for building an HTPC. You could certainly go that route. To get to 4k capability as well as Atmos, you're talking a pretty penny. Plus, depending on your setup, PCs can be both bulky and noisy for use in an entertainment center, again unless you're willing to fork over some serious $$$. Side note. The Odroid can also run Android OS, so you could go that route if desired. I figured since I already have a device in the theater than can do everything else, I'd run LibreELEC since I just needed Kodi. Don't get me wrong. Shield is an nice little device, I just didn't need it. You'd just want to research Kodi on it thoroughly since that'd be your main source to play ripped discs.

For 4k, I only have a few bandwidth test files and a 4k THX intro at this point, none are a good example of doing a full 4k movie over it. Plus, right now I have MoCA 1.0 which is equivalent to 100mb network rather than gigabit. The test videos (except for the highest bit rate one) do work. I can't imagine the 916 struggling with 4k over NFS unless there's a bottleneck somewhere in the network. The file moves I've tested between my PC and the NAS seem more than fast enough to stream a 4k 400mbps video.
post #14 of 46 Old 10-02-2017, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I was reading more in to moca and i think i should do it in some places of my house. becuase no matter what i do wifi is terrible in certain places. it seems interesting though. i just figured if i'm gonna do this why not also be able to do 4k streaming some day. then again, 1080p is awesome and how much more realistic can tv get. Everything, i staer thinking about a projwct my mind starts traveling off in to more crazy ideas. becuase i wish i was really a tech savy type of guy. i mean, i have a xbox 1 which i wont really use when i get the scorpion( i bought one of the speical version of the xbox 1 x) anyways, i was thinking why not some how was my xbox 1 and see if i could turn it in to a decent HTPC with the addition of the NAS. I do have a decent gaming computer i got put together at micro center.
post #15 of 46 Old 10-03-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm hoping to order a couple of MoCA 2.0 devices soon and test out the 4k streams. MoCA 1.0 can handle lower bit rate 4k, but I could imagine if I had a full movie it'd stutter occasionally. Powerline networks are supposed to be able to gigabit now too, just haven't even tried one.
post #16 of 46 Old 10-04-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I made an interesting, if embarrassing, discovery last night. I'm already running with MoCA 2.0 adapters. Now I haven't had a chance to hook up a laptop or the like in the theater to see what speeds I'm actually getting, but that got me wondering about the 4k test video I have that stutters. So to test, I snagged a few different 4k sample videos, dropped them on the NAS, and tried to play them on the Kodi box. All of them worked fine. As it is, the only one that has trouble is the jellyfish 400Mbps sample found at http://jell.yfish.us (the last one in the list). The 140Mbps with audio streams fine, as do all the sample videos I pulled. So it seems MoCA can handle most, but not the highest bitrate when it comes to 4k. My next test is going to be run a cat6 from the router straight to the theater and see if that file can play.

post #17 of 46 Old 10-04-2017, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Here ya go. Easiest and quickest option. Convert your Blu Ray's to Digital file via Vudu for $2.

https://news.walmart.com/2017/03/23/...tal-collection
post #18 of 46 Old 10-05-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post
Here ya go. Easiest and quickest option. Convert your Blu Ray's to Digital file via Vudu for $2.

Of course that means the file would only work on Vudu, and for people with larger collections would be quite pricey...

post #19 of 46 Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post

Of course that means the file would only work on Vudu, and for people with larger collections would be quite pricey...
this is true. on a side not, i did find a company called ?STEIGER DYNAMICS. they make pretty much a htpc. these products look pretty good. i just wonder how good they actually are for the price.
post #20 of 46 Old 10-05-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can build a solid HTPC in a silent (or nearly) case, even media equipment dimensions (about the same size as a good receiver) probably for $800 or less. Where the prices can fluctuate wildly depends on how you really want to use it. If you want a one stop device that can play movies, stream, game, etc... that's probably the way to go. If your TV or other devices already owned cover the majority of the streaming, and you don't care about PC gaming (with the XBox this seems probable), then at that point you'd want to ask what's left for the HTPC to do? Is it just play movies from either optical media, or an internal or network drive? If so, might not be the best investment when you can achieve the same result for a fraction of the cost.

I'd suggest a breakdown of the end game. What do you envision for your media center? Some manner of display, and the XBox X when you get it. Do you already have a good blu ray player? Is there an AV receiver in play? Would the only other piece be something to play ripped movies (and maybe a bit more) or is there more for it? Do you want to get rid of the player and condense the amount of equipment in play? Will Jerry be able to get the surgery he needs to save his leg, or is the doctor just leading him on because he wants a new wing for the hospital?
IronWaffle likes this.

post #21 of 46 Old 10-06-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

my mind always races with these ideas and decision. i have a marantz pre amp with a emotiva amp. this is true, i may not need all that stuff that comes with that htpc. i do need a decent blu ray player. i have a Lg 55in 4k tv. for me its to get a another simple device where i could get kodi. then have a decent pc were i could rip my blu rays and end up streaming them through out the house using kodi.

the doctor is doing both, fyi.
post #22 of 46 Old 10-06-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Taking the HTPC functions out of the equation makes that piece easy. It doesn't take any real horse power to rip discs. Nor to stream them out if you want to host them on the PC vs a NAS server (or start PC with the idea of going NAS later). All my ripping is on a PC I built a few years ago now, Core i5-3450 with 8 gig ram. MakeMKV literally uses < 1% of cpu while ripping. Now, sharing NFS on Windows is a bit trickier, but Google is your friend there. You can use standard SMB share as well, just a little tricky to get Kodi to access it, and can be slower (though when I was testing that approach I didn't have trouble playing 1080p movies I had already ripped). You can also make sure the build is beefy enough to handle Plex and you could have access to your collection from anywhere. My PC can handle a couple of 1080p streams without much trouble. I tried to have it transcode a 4k on the fly and it choked.

Kodi - There are a ton of options to put together a simple Kodi box. So far, I'm very happy with the Odroid running LibreELEC. About the only thing it can't do yet is 3d (I haven't really dug into it as I don't have emitter/glasses for my projector anyway). It can handle 4k, supports audio pass through, so Atmos and DTS:X work. Easily controlled with IR or a bluetooth remote. I actually have both coded into my Harmony. The IR allows me to power it up remotely, and then use bluetooth as it's faster for the rest of the control. Building it is a snap. There's a $4 3d printed case floating around on Amazon, board snaps in with 2 screws. There's a tool to load the OS/Kodi build on a MicroSD. Pop it in and go. Took me about 45 minutes to have the thing up and running. Plus, the thing's the size of a deck of cards, so I could take it to any TV in the house if I really wanted to.

Honestly, just dive in. Assuming you have a BD drive in your current PC, grab MakeMKV, practice ripping a few things, install Kodi on the PC so you can play with the interface and figure out how you'd want to tweak it (skins, add-ons, all the fun), and go to town. Then when you're ready, build a Kodi box, build a bigger PC, set up NAS.

post #23 of 46 Old 10-06-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want to stream media from streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime you are better off skipping a HTPC.

post #24 of 46 Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Taking the HTPC functions out of the equation makes that piece easy. It doesn't take any real horse power to rip discs. Nor to stream them out if you want to host them on the PC vs a NAS server (or start PC with the idea of going NAS later). All my ripping is on a PC I built a few years ago now, Core i5-3450 with 8 gig ram. MakeMKV literally uses &lt; 1% of cpu while ripping. Now, sharing NFS on Windows is a bit trickier, but Google is your friend there. You can use standard SMB share as well, just a little tricky to get Kodi to access it, and can be slower (though when I was testing that approach I didn't have trouble playing 1080p movies I had already ripped). You can also make sure the build is beefy enough to handle Plex and you could have access to your collection from anywhere. My PC can handle a couple of 1080p streams without much trouble. I tried to have it transcode a 4k on the fly and it choked.

Kodi - There are a ton of options to put together a simple Kodi box. So far, I'm very happy with the Odroid running LibreELEC. About the only thing it can't do yet is 3d (I haven't really dug into it as I don't have emitter/glasses for my projector anyway). It can handle 4k, supports audio pass through, so Atmos and DTS:X work. Easily controlled with IR or a bluetooth remote. I actually have both coded into my Harmony. The IR allows me to power it up remotely, and then use bluetooth as it's faster for the rest of the control. Building it is a snap. There's a $4 3d printed case floating around on Amazon, board snaps in with 2 screws. There's a tool to load the OS/Kodi build on a MicroSD. Pop it in and go. Took me about 45 minutes to have the thing up and running. Plus, the thing's the size of a deck of cards, so I could take it to any TV in the house if I really wanted to.

Honestly, just dive in. Assuming you have a BD drive in your current PC, grab MakeMKV, practice ripping a few things, install Kodi on the PC so you can play with the interface and figure out how you'd want to tweak it (skins, add-ons, all the fun), and go to town. Then when you're ready, build a Kodi box, build a bigger PC, set up NAS.
i mean, i could just use the pc i made for gaming. its intel core i5-6600k CPU @ 3.50GHz. i believe i have 16.0 GB ram and a x64-bit processor.

I just dont want to store all of the blu rays on this PC, really. you're right, i shall just dive in to this. i just need to pick up a device for kodi and i'm pretty much kinda set i believe.
post #25 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just dont want to store all of the blu rays on this PC, really. you're right, i shall just dive in to this. i just need to pick up a device for kodi and i'm pretty much kinda set i believe.
Exactly. Invest $75 or so to build a Kodi box. Play with the interface, rip a few discs, see what you think. If you decide you like it, then you an look for a better storage medium than what's in your PC. Either add a couple big drives to it, or start up a NAS server. Or even build a NAS server (about the same cost wise, but if you like to tinker or the like). And if you decide you don't like it, then you've invested less than $100, and have a nice little SBC you could play around with.

post #26 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. Invest $75 or so to build a Kodi box. Play with the interface, rip a few discs, see what you think. If you decide you like it, then you an look for a better storage medium than what's in your PC. Either add a couple big drives to it, or start up a NAS server. Or even build a NAS server (about the same cost wise, but if you like to tinker or the like). And if you decide you don't like it, then you've invested less than $100, and have a nice little SBC you could play around with.
actually, last night my brother just uploading kodi to my amazon fire. i guess i just have to dowload makemvk. then see how this all goes. hopefully, it goes smooth.
post #27 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
actually, last night my brother just uploading kodi to my amazon fire. i guess i just have to dowload makemvk. then see how this all goes. hopefully, it goes smooth.
Which might actually be a challenge for the moment. His site is down. Though I'm sure somebody has it mirrored somewhere.

post #28 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Which might actually be a challenge for the moment. His site is down. Though I'm sure somebody has it mirrored somewhere.
well, then thats great. i guess, i could also wait too.
post #29 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/makemkv,1.html

And you can find the current beta key in the thread about the site being down.

post #30 of 46 Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/makemkv,1.html

And you can find the current beta key in the thread about the site being down.
sweet, thank you. i went to the website and it was i Russian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page