CanCan I Cut the Cord and still have HD and 5.1? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By holl_ands
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By jwort93

post #1 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CanCan I Cut the Cord and still have HD and 5.1?

I am thinking of dropping DirecTV and moving to Amazon or PlayStation for streaming. Do any of the streaming services provide HD quality video and surround sound? I hate to compromise on video and audio quality.

Note I have an HD system not 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I found amazon and Netflix to be better quality than my neighbor’s spectrum cable. However I don’t know if you are looking for traditional cable channels or amazon/Netflix type programming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 57
You have to use the Netflix app, or the Amazon app, to get 5.1. If you access these streaming services through a browser you will only get 2.0 sound. I am not as familiar with the PlayStation streaming service, but I believe you get 5.1.

post #4 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I don’t know if you are looking for traditional cable channels or amazon/Netflix type programming.
I am looking for traditional TV channels including local TV.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Status of Live TV (and other services) via Streaming Service FOR SAN DIEGO....many major networks are MISSING....or delayed by a day:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...302-story.html

BTW: Last March, THE CW moved from Ch6 Tower in Tijuana to SHARE CBS Ch8 on Mt Soledad near La Jolla [next to ABC Ch10...both in Hi-VHF Band], making it MUCH easier to receive in San Diego County. And UHF stations (NBC, FOX, PBS, et.al.) are located high on top of Mt Miguel near Spring Valley.

Apparently Local San Diego stations are NOT on Amazon Streaming Service "NewsOn:
http://watchnewson.com/search/San%20Diego
And "THE CW" [with LOTS of SciFi programs] is MISSING from ALL Playstation VUE lineups.....
http://www.cwtv.com/shows

You should carefully check other Streaming Services....such as those mentioned here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/strea...-8/#sling-tv-1
https://www.cnet.com/news/are-your-l...tv-service-yet
https://www.consumerreports.org/stre...video-services

Note that HD and DD5.1 is so STANDARD, they don't even talk about it anymore. Stereo Only via early Netflix was the RARE EXCEPTION. BTW: Sending "CD Quality" Digital Audio [16-bit PCM at 44.1 ksps] requires 1,400 kbps data capacity, whereas DD5.1 only requires 384 or 448 kbps data capacity...so there was NEVER any "advantage" to going out of their way to CONVERT DD5.1 source to PCM, other than perhaps they were doing it to be compatible with early PC's that didn't understand DD5.1 encoded data streams.

================================================
Note that the BEST WAY to watch Local Stations is usually via a TV ANTENNA. If you go to www.tvfool.com, enter your location and copy/paste the Results URL (Address at top of Web Browser) into a Post, then I/we can assess what KIND of TV Antenna(s) you might need.
bommai likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-26-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
None of live streaming services have surround sound on them yet, however the picture quality can be quite good. You may want to give PS Vue a try, the service even has a cloud dvr.
Kirkobangz likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-27-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, holl_ands and tenthplanet. This is great information. I will spend some time checking out your links.

I am still a little confused. Do the major streaming services use surround sound or am I stuck with stereo?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-27-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post
Thanks, holl_ands and tenthplanet. This is great information. I will spend some time checking out your links.

I am still a little confused. Do the major streaming services use surround sound or am I stuck with stereo?
Major live streaming services such as DirecTV Now, Hulu Live, PS Vue, Sling TV, Fubo TV, and YouTube TV all live stream in stereo unfortunately. A lot of the on demand content from these same services is available with 5.1 audio though, as well as other on-demand only streaming services like regular Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon offer 5.1 audio.
Kirkobangz likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 46
no live service offers live DD. Just simulate it.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-27-2017, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer777 View Post
So the network apps that can be accessed using a chromcast will have 5.1 but the live streams are 2.0?
post #11 of 23 Old 09-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
So the network apps that can be accessed using a chromcast will have 5.1 but the live streams are 2.0?

Cxa5100, Emotiva upa1 x3, primare a30. 5 primare spa21 two channel pre, Sonus Faber toy towers front Toy center, concerto atmos, Totem mite surround Audiocontrol epicenter, Velodyne splr8, little bear tube pre, pbj, kkobra, outlaw 850
post #12 of 23 Old 09-28-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bplaser View Post
Quote:
I haven't seen any network apps besides HBO stream in DD. This is on a Fire box, but I think it's the same for a Chromecast
post #13 of 23 Old 09-29-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
I haven't seen any network apps besides HBO stream in DD. This is on a Fire box, but I think it's the same for a Chromecast
He's talking about 'live' streams in DD, not streaming services like HBO, Starz, Netflix, Amazon, VUDU etc. that stream in DD or DD+.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #14 of 23 Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Quote:
He's talking about 'live' streams in DD, not streaming services like HBO, Starz, Netflix, Amazon, VUDU etc. that stream in DD or DD+.
I think he is taking about networks apps like FX , Tbs, Syfy That you log into with your Tv provider
post #15 of 23 Old 09-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I think he is taking about networks apps like FX , Tbs, Syfy That you log into with your Tv provider
Yes I'm talking about the network apps like abc, nbc, history etc. Question is if is an on demand through them do they have DD? I have seen most if not all the live streams are 2.0. Also if I access top new shows like say designated survivor through Hulu are they DD?
post #16 of 23 Old 09-29-2017, 09:46 AM

None will be DD.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-01-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
None of live streaming services have surround sound on them yet, however the picture quality can be quite good. You may want to give PS Vue a try, the service even has a cloud dvr.
That's weird. Even OTA (which is FREE as free can be after a minimal hardware purchase) will bring DD 5.1 (+EX for fake 6.1/7.1) on the big 4. (Most CW and a lot of PBS content offers 5.1, too.)

I'm surprised no one asked the OP if he or she can receive locals with an antenna.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
That's weird. Even OTA (which is FREE as free can be after a minimal hardware purchase) will bring DD 5.1 (+EX for fake 6.1/7.1) on the big 4. (Most CW and a lot of PBS content offers 5.1, too.)

I'm surprised no one asked the OP if he or she can receive locals with an antenna.
Yeah no 5.1 no dice what is the point of the high end receiver I bought reminds me of how mp3 destroyed music. On Netflix and Amazon 5.1 is available seems lame that streams would drop the ball on this guess ota plus tivo romio is the answer probably better picture as well.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-01-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Yeah no 5.1 no dice what is the point of the high end receiver I bought reminds me of how mp3 destroyed music. On Netflix and Amazon 5.1 is available seems lame that streams would drop the ball on this guess ota plus tivo romio is the answer probably better picture as well.
Because live/ real time streaming is a juggling act with encoding and decoding on the fly adding in surround sound is difficult, not impossible but not easy either. The head of Hulu has hinted they are looking into it but also doesn't think enough people are fighting for it. Netflix and Amazon, and even some cable network apps can do surround but it's not real time, that's how they pull it off.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #20 of 23 Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. In response to one of your questions, I am not set up for OTA local channels. I am trying to switch from DirecTV satellite service to a streaming service. My objective is to get cheaper service without sacrificing quality or ease of use. Unless there is a simple way of cobbling OTA together with a DVR plus a streaming service or two, I don't think I will get approval from my wife.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle View Post
Thanks for all the info. In response to one of your questions, I am not set up for OTA local channels. I am trying to switch from DirecTV satellite service to a streaming service. My objective is to get cheaper service without sacrificing quality or ease of use. Unless there is a simple way of cobbling OTA together with a DVR plus a streaming service or two, I don't think I will get approval from my wife.
The tivo bolt can coble that together because it has ota dvr and some streaming built-in.

Cxa5100, Emotiva upa1 x3, primare a30. 5 primare spa21 two channel pre, Sonus Faber toy towers front Toy center, concerto atmos, Totem mite surround Audiocontrol epicenter, Velodyne splr8, little bear tube pre, pbj, kkobra, outlaw 850
post #22 of 23 Old 10-05-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
I've got some extra periods and commas I can lend you. Just let me know.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #23 of 23 Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I've got some extra periods and commas I can lend you. Just let me know.
No need for that they just take up extra data that could be better used for implementing at least 5.1 or better yet atmos that rides on DD+ that is used on other streams streams period I think it is great that services like Netflix comma stock exploding up 7k % has embraced atmos comma on some devices not others another problem comma just shows its possible period they are being rewarded for it and 4k and content period the streams are not going to give away everything for the discounted price period They also want to take away our complete control dvr by offering a cloud version that they can stop or manipulate comma lame slow ff comma storage time limits or no skip of certain comercials at any time period wake up people

Last edited by Bplaser; 10-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page