Official 2017 (new) Amazon HDR FireTV Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 71 Old 09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6417 Post(s)
Liked: 3965
Try a female to female HDMI coupler. And use a premium certified cable with it.

I see Amazon has them. But I have no idea if they would work with HDR and 2160P60.

https://www.amazon.com/VCE-Female-Ad...+adapter&psc=1

EDIT: Monoprice has a coupler for less

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2781&gclid

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 09-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I preordered the FireTV + Echo Dot bundle. It will be plugged into the X4300H. Plan is to load Kodi on the FireTV and stream my local content over WIFI-AC. I'll just plug in the FireTV directly into the X4300H as the thing only weighs 3 ounces. Goal is to watch a movie off my NAS with a voice command to Alexa
post #33 of 71 Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Anyone know if this thing is going to scale everything to 2160? Current models do not, they only pass 2160 when present and scale everything else to 1080. Based on the SOC being used I think not.

post #34 of 71 Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
New Top of Line Sideloadable?

I know not much was released about the new "cube", but maybe someone knows if you will be able to sideload Android apps as you currently can.

I've loaded Kodi and use it for my music collection. Very nice player.
post #35 of 71 Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMConey View Post
I know not much was released about the new "cube", but maybe someone knows if you will be able to sideload Android apps as you currently can.

I've loaded Kodi and use it for my music collection. Very nice player.
It is new and running their latest OS. I'd suggest asking that question on http://www.aftvnews.com/
The site moderator does Fire App development.
WMConey likes this.
post #36 of 71 Old 09-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
It is new and running their latest OS. I'd suggest asking that question on http://www.aftvnews.com/
The site moderator does Fire App development.
It looks like it would work the same as long as you can enable apps from unknown sources

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sidel...ng-downloader/
naustin and WMConey like this.

Mitsubishi WD-65736
Xfinity X1
Denon X4300H
KEF-RDM2 x4, KEF-100 Center
Velodyne HGS-10
post #37 of 71 Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess this thread will stay quiet until the Fire TV 3 ships October 25 or we get some early Tech reviews.
post #38 of 71 Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I preordered the FireTV + Echo Dot bundle. It will be plugged into the X4300H. Plan is to load Kodi on the FireTV and stream my local content over WIFI-AC. I'll just plug in the FireTV directly into the X4300H as the thing only weighs 3 ounces. Goal is to watch a movie off my NAS with a voice command to Alexa
That offer by Amazon currently expires October 7th. Since Best Buy has the same offer, I used BB points. Sweet deal.
aaronwt and JimVR4 like this.
post #39 of 71 Old 10-03-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Hi all! Okay, I usually post in the TV and Audio forums, so this is my first time in this section. I saw this bundle for pre order, and I am going to be turning my apartment into a Smart Home, which is kinda good since I am a dumb guy.

Seriously, In addition to preparing to order some smart lighting, a Logitech Harmony Remote, obviously I will want one or two Echo Dot's.

My question is not about that part of the bundle, though, but about Amazon Fire TV. I have read a few things about it, but I am still not sure what the allure is for someone like me. So maybe you guys can tell my why I need Fire TV. Here is what I have:

-Home theater and 4K Smart TV systems in both the bedroom and living room
-PS4 Pro for the living room, and will get one for the bedroom for the holidays
-Xbox One S, which will be delegated to the bedroom once I pick up the coming Project Scorpio Xbox
-Cable TV in both rooms
-Subscription to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and ALL cable channels (except the adult stations) so I have full access to On Demand pretty-much Everything on all my devices, including TV apps, consoles, mobile devices, etc.

Sorry, not trying to brag, as I am sure many of you folks have much better setups than me.

tl;dr I guess what I am really asking here is what holes do I have in my streaming and entertainment media that the Amazon Fire will fill?
post #40 of 71 Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Hi all! Okay, I usually post in the TV and Audio forums, so this is my first time in this section. I saw this bundle for pre order, and I am going to be turning my apartment into a Smart Home, which is kinda good since I am a dumb guy. ....
tl;dr I guess what I am really asking here is what holes do I have in my streaming and entertainment media that the Amazon Fire will fill?
It may be not be needed if you have a convenient way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc to your TVs in HDR. My TVs and UHD players have built in Apps and they aren't as fast or numerous as on a streamer like the Fire or the Rokus. IMHO. No most things in AVS world aren't really necessary and there are work arounds.
post #41 of 71 Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
It may be not be needed if you have a convenient way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc to your TVs in HDR. My TVs and UHD players have built in Apps and they aren't as fast or numerous as on a streamer like the Fire or the Rokus. IMHO. No most things in AVS world aren't really necessary and there are work arounds.
Thanks for the quick reply, naustin. When I first got my 75" Sony 940D TV, earlier this year, I was constantly using the apps for streaming due to the convenience, but I have come to realize that they cause all sorts of problems, including unexpected, random reboots, and slow, laggy streaming. I mostly use my XBox One S and my PS4 Pro for 4K streaming.

I have just heard so many people raving about Amazon Fire, and now that the 4K unit is coming soon, I just wanted to make sure I am not missing out on anything.
post #42 of 71 Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Why no Dolby Vision? I have a Fire TV with a Ethernet port 4K no HDR, works Great, but this seems like a sideways move to me. I'll keep using my Sony X800 for streaming apps for now.

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
post #43 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Amazon new fire tv with HD Antenna is one of the most awesome thing right now. As you won't require cable or satellite to access local channels.
post #44 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpan Shah View Post
Amazon new fire tv with HD Antenna is one of the most awesome thing right now. As you won't require cable or satellite to access local channels.
It does seem very good, though I had one of those indoor antennas that accessed all the NY City channels in my area, and I even got some from Jersey I think lol.

But since I have the Optimum Triple Play, with all the channels, though it is pricey, its nice to have all the sports, movies, and everything I want with On Demand for ALL my devices. That was a huge selling point for me, the On Demand part of it, not just the DVR.

I am still not entirely sure what Fire TV has to offer for those who have so many streaming devices (Smart TV's, PS4 Pro, XBox One S, 4K Blue-ray player with streaming apps, etc.) and all the cable channels. I could be wrong, but it sounds like Fire TV is just a glorified streamer with local channels? Would this be a fair assessment, or, again, am I missing something? Bear in mind that, as I said above, if I have a hole in my entertainment system that Fire TV can fix, I am glad to buy it.
post #45 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
That offer by Amazon currently expires October 7th. Since Best Buy has the same offer, I used BB points. Sweet deal.
Yes. I was happy when I found out Best Buy offersd the same deals for the new Fire tv and new Echo. So I cancelled my Amazon orders and placed them at Best Buy. If for nothing else because I have a 45 day return period at BestBuy.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #46 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 08:46 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Hi all! Okay, I usually post in the TV and Audio forums, so this is my first time in this section. I saw this bundle for pre order, and I am going to be turning my apartment into a Smart Home, which is kinda good since I am a dumb guy.

Seriously, In addition to preparing to order some smart lighting, a Logitech Harmony Remote, obviously I will want one or two Echo Dot's.

My question is not about that part of the bundle, though, but about Amazon Fire TV. I have read a few things about it, but I am still not sure what the allure is for someone like me. So maybe you guys can tell my why I need Fire TV. Here is what I have:

-Home theater and 4K Smart TV systems in both the bedroom and living room
-PS4 Pro for the living room, and will get one for the bedroom for the holidays
-Xbox One S, which will be delegated to the bedroom once I pick up the coming Project Scorpio Xbox
-Cable TV in both rooms
-Subscription to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and ALL cable channels (except the adult stations) so I have full access to On Demand pretty-much Everything on all my devices, including TV apps, consoles, mobile devices, etc.

Sorry, not trying to brag, as I am sure many of you folks have much better setups than me.

No device does everything well. For me the main reason for a firetv is for Amazon content. Because the Fire tv is designed to be used with Amazon content. I use multiple boxes so I can potentially get access to the best app. Since no one box does every app well.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
LDBetaGuy and mr266 like this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #47 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No device does everything well. For me the main reason for a firetv is for Amazon content.
I understand this and love Amazon Prime. But Prime works very well with both with my Xbox One S and my PS4 Pro. Oddly enough, even the app on my TV works well for Amazon Prime, though I never use it. Oh and all three stream in 4K, so that's a plus.

Again, not trying to argue. I am just trying to figure out if there is a reason I might need or want the Fire TV if I am already streaming Amazon Prime so readily and with no problems now.
post #48 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand this and love Amazon Prime. But Prime works very well with both with my Xbox One S and my PS4 Pro. Oddly enough, even the app on my TV works well for Amazon Prime, though I never use it. Oh and all three stream in 4K, so that's a plus.

Again, not trying to argue. I am just trying to figure out if there is a reason I might need or want the Fire TV if I am already streaming Amazon Prime so readily and with no problems now.
Atmos might be a reason, depending on your audio setup; otherwise it is just an inexpensive HDR10 streamer.
post #49 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Atmos might be a reason, depending on your audio setup; otherwise it is just an inexpensive HDR10 streamer.
That's what it sounds like, naustlin. While I am not yet set up for Atmos and am happy with my 7.1, when I do switch over to it, my PS4 Pro, XBox One S, and my receiver all support Atmos. So its looking like the Fire TV may not be something I would want or need. Thanks!
post #50 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
I wonder if when sales actually go live if Amazon will have a trade-in option? Haven't they done that with other hardware or am I thinking of something else?
post #51 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

YouTube HDR will be available on the new model
X-ray Information
10 second skip back and forth on the remote which is useful for getting rid of opening titles on Prime shows

Remarkable how useful I find the latter two.

7.2 Denon (X7200WA), Monitor Audio, Seismic 110, Oppo, XBOX, CCU, LG OLED (E6V)
5.1 Yamaha (RX-A1050), Focal Dome, LG OLED (EG920V)
Multiroom "Virgin V6, Zappiti, Harmony Elite"
post #52 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 05:21 PM

sutton, what is X-Ray information?
post #53 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
sutton, what is X-Ray information?
In a nutshell it allows you to pause the Amazon show and find out info about the characters and music on screen. So say you wonder who a particular actor is in a scene, x-ray will give bio info by hitting the up or pause button. It’s only available on select devices, not Xbox, and not for all shows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201749550

post #54 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post
In a nutshell it allows you to pause the Amazon show and find out info about the characters and music on screen. So say you wonder who a particular actor is in a scene, x-ray will give bio info by hitting the up or pause button. It’s only available on select devices, not Xbox, and not for all shows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cus...deId=201749550
Isn't there also a way to see a video information(resolution, bitrate, etc) overlay while playing? Putting it into developer mode or something?
post #55 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Isn't there also a way to see a video information(resolution, bitrate, etc) overlay while playing? Putting it into developer mode or something?
Yes there is a developers menu but as the name implies it’s for assistance to developers and not intended for general use by consumers. I never use it.

post #56 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

Do you have Amazon Prime music or personal music stored in the Amazon cloud? That is also another use for it. My Roku is the only other device I have that can access my music from Amazon. But the Roku also doesn't have access to the Prime Music.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #57 of 71 Old 10-04-2017, 06:56 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
You mean inexpensive. My new 4K fire TV I pre-ordered only cost me around $45. As part of the FireTV/Echo Dot bundle.

And even at the full price of $70, it is still inexpensive for a 4K/HDR streamer. Which is also the same price the new Roku 4K/HDR streamer sells for.

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-04-2017 at 07:00 PM.
post #58 of 71 Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Do you have Amazon Prime music or personal music stored in the Amazon cloud? That is also another use for it. My Roku is the only other device I have that can access my music from Amazon. But the Roku also doesn't have access to the Prime Music.

I have a Prime account that includes music if I ever want it, but I don't have any music on Amazon or stored in Amazon's Cloud servers. When I do buy music, I generally use iTunes.

Quote:
You mean inexpensive. My new 4K fire TV I pre-ordered only cost me around $45. As part of the FireTV/Echo Dot bundle.

And even at the full price of $70, it is still inexpensive for a 4K/HDR streamer. Which is also the same price the new Roku 4K/HDR streamer sells for.

I agree with this. Even if I don't need a FireTV, the full price is fantastic for someone who does, and it is an incredible bargain when bundled with the Echo Dot. If I needed the player, I would be salivating now.
post #59 of 71 Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazon ended their FireTV 3 and Echo Dot bundle sale. They still have the HD antenna bundle but the savings isn't much so it probably isn't considered a sale.
post #60 of 71 Old 10-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglonek View Post
Haha. Well I found the CableMatters one, I knew I had it from I bought a 2 pack for my Rift. I might end up grabbing the AmazonBasics as well since the 10ft is $2 as an add-on. I did preorder the Fire TV yesterday soo we'll see how things are next month.
If this expired bundle is something anyone is interested in, just wait for Amazon to offer it in a Lightning Deal. They have timed sales every day, and there are always tons of stuff on sale for small windows of time, listed as current, expired, and coming soon.

The caveat, though, if someone doesn't know, is you have to go to Amazon's Gold Box sale, which is their main, big item sale for 24 hours. Then underneath it, there will be pages of items that you can see if they are about to go on sale (and when), how long they will be on sale for, current sale items, and expired sales. There was a gaming laptop I wanted back a few years ago, and I knew it had been on a Lightning Deal sale once already. So I put myself on Amazon's mailing list, and every day I checked the sales in the morning, and sure enough, I saw my laptop would be on sale for, I think, and hour at noon. I had checked at 10:00 AM, so I waited 2 hours for the sale and snagged it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page