Roku Refreshes Entire Lineup of Streamers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Now if you have a HD CRT I could see keeping it....kind of.
Not for me. Had one; big boat anchor. These days, LCD looks better and weighs 1/10 as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 982
I agree, my 55" TCL weighs 39 lbs. My old 36" CRT weighed close to 200. Glad I got rid of that thing years ago.

Afro GT
post #33 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
For the OTA feature would I need my own antenna or does it link up to a major broadcasting tower over the internet?
Requires your own Antenna. Works well and with the new Smart Guide feature coming in OS 8, it will be a nice integrated OTA solution.

post #34 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't looked at the Ultra thread, but I sympathize. I'm on my 3rd or 4th Roku box -- I tend to use dead, dying, or irritating electronics as an excuse to upgrade, and Roku has given me ample opportunity. All of the units I replaced were either evidencing thermal-type problems, or were just plain flaky - not sure if hardware or software.

I really like Roku boxen, when they work.

Seems like their hardware is marginal in the same sense as their OS seems to be. I'm running out of patience and forgiveness -- there's really no excuse for thermal problems, nor generally flaky electronics.
post #35 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So basically Apple, Amazon, and Roku all updated their streamers, but none of them are great options because they are all missing some critical feature.

Frustrating to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LDBetaGuy and JoinTheBattle like this.
post #36 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post
Does anyone know if the TVE (TV Everywhere) feature is coming to older Roku's (like the 3). Supposedly they have this now in os7, but I have to constantly sign back into my apps and validate my cable subscription. Having a single sign on for all these apps would be extremely welcome at this point.
If you are asking about Single Sign-In authentication for TV Everywhere apps, that is not in OS 7, but is is one of the new features that will be in OS 8. CNET article states that this feature is still dependent on the Cable Provider agreeing to participate and that Comcast and Spectrum are major holdouts. So, OS 8 will provide it, but your cable provider may not choose to participate.

I read in a few articles that OS 8 will make it out to most Roku devices by the end of the year and only very old first addition Roku models may not get the update. So, I think the Roku 3 is likely to get the update eventually.

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-strea...e-player-team/
Jottle likes this.
post #37 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've been really happy with my Roku boxes as of late. I use a Roku 4 and a Roku 3 every day and I have few problems. For a while the YouTube app was rather slow on the 3 and crash happy on the 4 but that's all been fixed in the last 8 months or so.

I think that a lot of the problems with the Roku can come from apps that are poorly coded. The ones that get used just about every day in our house are Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Twit and GFQ. PBS also got a lot of use over the last couple of weeks while watching Ken Burns' Vietnam series and it worked with zero crashes or problems. With more than 3000 apps/channels your mileage with the Roku may vary, a LOT.

Vudu has no problems passing Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus but I'm not sure about other apps.

I was thinking that I might upgrade to the Ultra, move the 4 to replace the 3 and put the 3 over in my workshop. Is the Ultra more or less stable than the 4?
post #38 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelk View Post
I don't know what you could possibly be doing with your device. I don't have such issues and I have 3 units. Two of them are in use daily. One every night for many hours. Zero problems. Did you update your ultra when you got it?
I am not doing anything special with the Ultra. My unit has the latest firmware, and I just stream via the Amazon, NHL.tv, Vudu, PBS and HBO Now apps. Every firmware release recently has brought more problems for me. It started with some audio chirps, which eventually were replaced by volume so loud it was distorted. While that got better (still too loud, but no distortion), I then began experiencing HDCP errors when playing 4K material. That eventually was fixed, too, but now my device will randomly lose its wireless connection, and the only fix is to reboot both my wireless router and the Roku (none of my other wireless devices have any connectivity issues). Our non-4K Roku models have been fine, but the 4K Ultra has been aggravating.

I am glad you are not having issues, but if you check out the Ultra / Premiere+ thread you will see that many people are having problems. My Ultra was stable when I got it back in January, but it's been downhill for the last few months.
post #39 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I am not doing anything special with the Ultra. My unit has the latest firmware, and I just stream via the Amazon, NHL.tv, Vudu, PBS and HBO Now apps. Every firmware release recently has brought more problems for me. It started with some audio chirps, which eventually were replaced by volume so loud it was distorted. While that got better (still too loud, but no distortion), I then began experiencing HDCP errors when playing 4K material. That eventually was fixed, too, but now my device will randomly lose its wireless connection, and the only fix is to reboot both my wireless router and the Roku (none of my other wireless devices have any connectivity issues). Our non-4K Roku models have been fine, but the 4K Ultra has been aggravating.

I am glad you are not having issues, but if you check out the Ultra / Premiere+ thread you will see that many people are having problems. My Ultra was stable when I got it back in January, but it's been downhill for the last few months.
HDCP errors can usually be traced to cables. I hate to say that as any reasonably competent manufacturer should be able to create a compliant cable without issues, but that is my experience. Switching cables does help. My current cables are amazon basics. I did have some other cable that caused HDCP problems. The switch immediately resolved it. Not the fault of the unit.

I run plex, amazon and netflix, britbox and acorn most frequently.
post #40 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
My existing Ultra passes through DD+ based Atmos from Vudu fine - my Anthem receiver switches from showing the stream as DD+ 3/4 to Atmos after a couple of seconds - so hopefully Netflix works too (haven't tried it). Dolby Amaze (free on Vudu) is a great demo to verify with.
I have a roku 2 that passes through DD+ based Atmos from Netflix fine (to my denon avr). But when I read about Atmos movies like Okja needed the 4k monthly plan and compatible (with netflix-atmos) devices, I´ve been thinking that is trueHD atmos but since I don´t have the 4k plan and the rokus and denon where not on the short compatible list of devices, I have no way to test the streamed audio. Gonna have to wait to the end of the year when I finally upgrade to 4k

panasonic projector (upgrading to JVC RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
post #41 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I've already been playing with OS 8, and the auto frame-rate change works well. My Ultra is only connected to a 1080 hotel TV, but when I play movies from my server (I have quite the setup for a hotel room!) it drops to 30 fps to match my ripped DVDs. I forget exactly what framerates are available, but it appears to talk to the display via HDMI and only allow switching to what the TV will support.

I think this will end up being the biggest improvement for most of us with OS 8. Perhaps DV can be added via firmware at a later date. I'm still waiting (hoping) for HD audio bitstream passthrough first. Although as long as I'm in this hotel I only have TV audio available. Le sigh...

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows. Other players and TVs as well.
post #42 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meelk View Post
HDCP errors can usually be traced to cables. I hate to say that as any reasonably competent manufacturer should be able to create a compliant cable without issues, but that is my experience. Switching cables does help. My current cables are amazon basics. I did have some other cable that caused HDCP problems. The switch immediately resolved it. Not the fault of the unit.

I run plex, amazon and netflix, britbox and acorn most frequently.
While I agree that using proper HDMI cables is critical, in this particular case the issue was not with the cables, but with new firmware released by Roku. I am using Monoprice certified 18Gbps cables for all my 4K connections. I was not experiencing any HDCP errors until a particular firmware version was released by Roku. I would then randomly get a HDCP error when trying to view 4K content only, and a reboot of the Ultra would resolve the issue for that viewing. A subsequent firmware release by Roku eliminated the issue -- I have not experienced a HDCP error since. I have been using the exact same cables throughout the entire endeavor.

The point is that Roku's software engineering team has not been doing a proper job in developing software updates for their 4K streaming boxes. I have experienced four separate issues, all introduced with new firmware releases. Hopefully their negligence is because they have been focusing resources on the OS 8 release, but right now I have little confidence in their software engineers.
post #43 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I usually buy the new one when it comes out but I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference to bother quite yet. My Ultra and Roku 4 get used daily and work great anyway.
post #44 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post
I usually buy the new one when it comes out but I'm not sure if there is enough of a difference to bother quite yet. My Ultra and Roku 4 get used daily and work great anyway.
If you already have an Ultra, the new remote is the only thing you would gain with the new one. And you'd lose the optical port, if that's important to you. Of course, it is an upgrade to the 4 for both the new remote, voice search and HDR. I still use my 4, but it's on a older 1080 plasma, so no need for HDR or 4K. And I'm traveling with my Ultra, so don't even have a 4K set to use for now.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows. Other players and TVs as well.
post #45 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I was hoping their new models to have Atmos support since Netflix already added content for its 4k plan suscribers with compatible "netflix atmos devices".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I think they can passthrough DD+ so streaming atmos shouldnt be a problem. TrueHD atmos on the otherhand would be nice to passthrough
Okja was the first addition along with Blame! (june 28), then Death Note (August 25) and Bright and Wheelman (ending of 2017).
From Netflix.com's list of "compatible streamers:"

Devices that support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

Xbox One
Xbox One S
2017 LG OLED TVs

I've been patiently waiting for them to update Atmos to more devices, but so far am quite disappointed in the rollout of this. I do have an Xbox One X preordered, so I guess I'll have access to it next month regardless.
movieloverAL likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Samsung HW-K950
Samsung UBD-M9500
post #46 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
They didn't leave the Ultra the same. They removed the optical port and added a few minor things to the remote. It would be interesting to compare the guts of the new ultra to the latest one.
Hmm good point. I noticed that on some subsequent media coverage as well, at least the difference in features (but nothing detailing hardware changes beyond that). I would be interested in learning if anyone who had the problems the previous Ultra and Premiere+ had (waking up from low power/sleep mode in a faulty state that caused video and audio glitches when connected through a receiver) now bought a new one and compared its performance.
post #47 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
While I agree that using proper HDMI cables is critical, in this particular case the issue was not with the cables, but with new firmware released by Roku. I am using Monoprice certified 18Gbps cables for all my 4K connections. I was not experiencing any HDCP errors until a particular firmware version was released by Roku. I would then randomly get a HDCP error when trying to view 4K content only, and a reboot of the Ultra would resolve the issue for that viewing. A subsequent firmware release by Roku eliminated the issue -- I have not experienced a HDCP error since. I have been using the exact same cables throughout the entire endeavor.

The point is that Roku's software engineering team has not been doing a proper job in developing software updates for their 4K streaming boxes. I have experienced four separate issues, all introduced with new firmware releases. Hopefully their negligence is because they have been focusing resources on the OS 8 release, but right now I have little confidence in their software engineers.
Can you elaborate on your setup? Are you connecting the Ultra through a receiver before the signal gets to the tv? Also, are the glitches unique to after it 'wakes up' out of low power mode?
post #48 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
Can you elaborate on your setup? Are you connecting the Ultra through a receiver before the signal gets to the tv? Also, are the glitches unique to after it 'wakes up' out of low power mode?
My Ultra is connected to a Denon X3300 AVR, which is setup to pass through the video signal to a Vizio M70-D3 4K display (the Denon handles the audio, obviously). All devices are connected using Monoprice certified 18Gbps HDMI cables. I also have a Sony X-800 UHD player connected through the Denon AVR to the same input on the Vizio display, which plays all content perfectly fine.

The HDCP errors would occur when I would first attempt to play actual 4K HDR content from Amazon (the only app I use on the Ultra for this type of content). This issue only occurred with a certain version of firmware on the Ultra, and no longer occurs.

The wireless disconnects can happen randomly at any time using the Ultra -- but have not occurred when I am actually watching something, but only when navigating within or between apps. The only way to correct the issue is to unplug the Roku, reboot my wireless router, and then power up the Roku. This issue has only started happening since the last firmware update -- I think the FW date is 9/25/17. I have at least 10 other wireless devices which never have issues and continue to function when this happens - including devices in the same equipment rack.

The audio issues have evolved over time. They started with random audio chirps when watching Amazon or Vudu. Those were eventually fixed via a firmware update, but replaced with extremely high volume levels to the point of distortion. Another FW update appears to have eliminated the distortion, but the volume level is still way higher than it used to be -- much higher than my other components (I have a Panny BD player, Oppo DVD player, and Xfinity cable box connected to the Denon, as well as the previously mentioned UHD player and Ultra). I compensated for this by lowering the input level on the HDMI port on my Denon -- the first time I have ever needed to do this with any component or AVR.

As I've stated before, each of these issues would arise immediately after a Roku FW update, and some were corrected immediately after another FW update -- only to be replaced with another issue. With the number of issues that have occurred immediately after a FW update, the only logical conclusion is faulty firmware. Once or twice may be a coincidence, but not four times.

I was skeptical of the issues others were reporting with the Ultra at one time, too, as my unit was very stable for the first several months I owned it. It's just been in the past few months that things have turned to crap with all the firmware updates.

Last edited by Scott M; 10-04-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #49 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I can confirm I've had the exact same experience. Some software updates would totally mess up my box, at one point be useless, until the next software update. Their support on the issue is bad, very bad, really bad.
post #50 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Has anyone looked at the thread for the Roku Ultra/Premiere models? They all have constant problems when you route them through any one of a large range of receivers before connecting to a TV. I don't know how they can qualify this new rollout as an upgrade across their entire product line if they're going to leave the flawed flagship model (Roku Ultra) the same.

Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread
Virtually all the "complaint posts" in that forum concern the Ultra. The Premiere models seem to work fine. (We have 2 Premiere+ models.)
post #51 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I have no complaints about my Ultra. It's hit or miss if an Ultra had issues.

Dan
post #52 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
If you already have an Ultra, the new remote is the only thing you would gain with the new one. And you'd lose the optical port, if that's important to you. Of course, it is an upgrade to the 4 for both the new remote, voice search and HDR. I still use my 4, but it's on a older 1080 plasma, so no need for HDR or 4K. And I'm traveling with my Ultra, so don't even have a 4K set to use for now.
So the premiere plus and Ultra have been merged together, that's how they pulled off the price point. I'm sticking with the Premiere Plus refurb I just got for 59 dollars, no optical out then no need for an Ultra.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #53 of 66 Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6411 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Has anyone looked at the thread for the Roku Ultra/Premiere models? They all have constant problems when you route them through any one of a large range of receivers before connecting to a TV. I don't know how they can qualify this new rollout as an upgrade across their entire product line if they're going to leave the flawed flagship model (Roku Ultra) the same.

Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread
Not everyone. My Launch Ultra has worked very well. Any issues I ran into were very minor. I was hoping to get one of the close out Ultras for $64 from Walmart but I missed it. And the new Ultra removed the DD conversion. But at least it comes with the new voice remote.

I only wanted it for a 2K setup anyway(and as backup to the Ultra in my 4K setup). So I might just get the Premiere for $40 on closeout and order the new voice remote when it becomes available on the Roku website. Or I guess I could just buy the Streaming Stick+ instead. I'll probably just wait until Black Friday to see if there are any great deals to be had on the new ROkus. Since I really don't use my 2K setup much any more.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-04-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #54 of 66 Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I was hoping their new models to have Atmos support since Netflix already added content for its 4k plan suscribers with compatible "netflix atmos devices".

Okja was the first addition along with Blame! (june 28), then Death Note (August 25) and Bright and Wheelman (ending of 2017).
I agree, where is the Atmos and DTSX Master pass through? I bought the flagship Ultra and little did I realize that they enabled Atmos in the premier plus but, not the higher quality Ultra. Makes no sense at all.
post #55 of 66 Old 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 6411 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post
I agree, where is the Atmos and DTSX Master pass through? I bought the flagship Ultra and little did I realize that they enabled Atmos in the premier plus but, not the higher quality Ultra. Makes no sense at all.
???? My Ultra works with Atmos. I have no issue with Atmos tracks from Vudu. But Atmos from Netflix is dependent on Netflix enabling it. So far, only three or four devices have that capability from netflix.

To get Atmos from the Ultra you need to turn off the DD conversion. So it will bitstream. The Ultra needs to bitstream the DD+ tracks to get Atmos. As soon as it converts it to legacy Dolby Digital, you lose Atmos capability.

Not to mention that 7.1 DD+ tracks get truncated to 5.1DD.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
VideoGrabber and john barlow like this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-05-2017 at 03:45 PM.
post #56 of 66 Old 10-06-2017, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
So the premiere plus and Ultra have been merged together, that's how they pulled off the price point. I'm sticking with the Premiere Plus refurb I just got for 59 dollars, no optical out then no need for an Ultra.
There appears to be one more thing they removed from the Ultra to lower the price. It no longer decodes Dolby Digital + to DD.

Dan
post #57 of 66 Old 10-06-2017, 03:29 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
There appears to be one more thing they removed from the Ultra to lower the price. It no longer decodes Dolby Digital + to DD.
What practical impact would this have for those of us who don't know?
post #58 of 66 Old 10-06-2017, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsjedi44 View Post
What practical impact would this have for those of us who don't know?
Depends on what you are using to process your audio. Some TVs and older AVRs cannot decode DD+, so you don't get any audio. If you are using an AVR, chances are good that it supports DD+, so that missing function doesn't matter.

Dan
post #59 of 66 Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 137
So, since the Streaming Stick Plus is it's own HDMI device in itself, there should be less HDMI related issues over the Ultra?
post #60 of 66 Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???? My Ultra works with Atmos. I have no issue with Atmos tracks from Vudu. But Atmos from Netflix is dependent on Netflix enabling it. So far, only three or four devices have that capability from netflix.

To get Atmos from the Ultra you need to turn off the DD conversion. So it will bitstream. The Ultra needs to bitstream the DD+ tracks to get Atmos. As soon as it converts it to legacy Dolby Digital, you lose Atmos capability.

Not to mention that 7.1 DD+ tracks get truncated to 5.1DD.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I am writing back to thank you for solving this issue for me. I don't understand why not one Roku Ultra owner in the Roku thread couldn't have explained this simple solution and explain it as articulately as you did because two minutes after reading your response to my lament about Roku Ultra, I had Atmos pass through working with VUDU> Thanks man, I love you but, you can't have my beer.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku , roku express , roku streaming stick , roku ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page