Roku Refreshes Entire Lineup of Streamers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 10-02-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Roku Refreshes Entire Lineup of Streamers

Roku has refreshed its entire lineup with higher performance, more convenience, and greater value than ever before.

http://www.avsforum.com/roku-streame...major-refresh/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-02-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 341
OK, so,where is Dolby Vision? The little streamers got nice updates, the Ultra just a price cut. And compared to my Shield the Roku Ultra while fast is so much slower. Also I suspect the version 8 OS may be buggy for a while.
JoinTheBattle likes this.
post #3 of 66 Old 10-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The new OS will allow you to enable native FPS, I believe.

post #4 of 66 Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
OK, so,where is Dolby Vision? The little streamers got nice updates, the Ultra just a price cut. And compared to my Shield the Roku Ultra while fast is so much slower. Also I suspect the version 8 OS may be buggy for a while.
Dolby Vision is only supported in some Roku TVs, not the standalone streamers.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 66 Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Had the roku os8 announcement came with a dolby vision and lossless passthrough, Id have 3 new ultras on the way. Looks like we have to wait ANOTHER year for a complete box. Rediculous.
kluken likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #6 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 708
agreed, I don't see much upgrade here at all as far as performance and features.
post #7 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
agreed, I don't see much upgrade here at all as far as performance and features.
I like that the remote will allow control of TV. I would hope that you could control soundbar instead.
post #8 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Are they going to autoswitch to 50/24Hz?
post #9 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hopefully OS 8 will be more stable than the current firmware on the Ultra, but right now I have little confidence that Roku's software engineers can create a operating system without significant bugs on this hardware platform. It seems like every firmware update introduces new issues right now. I don't care nearly as much about adding Dolby Vision as I do having a device that requires rebooting every other day.
VideoGrabber and kluken like this.
post #10 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For the OTA feature would I need my own antenna or does it link up to a major broadcasting tower over the internet?
post #11 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I don't see the long term business model for this company. We are at a point where you can "have everything" for a low price and in an overpowered and smoothly functioning device (in theory at least). Another year and they will will work out most of the bugs and then perhaps get the 8k stuff ready.

8k of course will have marginal benefits vs 4k for most viewing circumstances. perhaps they go for Super Duper Dolby Vision UHD, but even then the effect becomes more and more a matter of diminishing returns.

Seems like we are missing blu-ray UHD quality movies and uncompressed atmos at this point from the streaming folks. Will it take another year to implement and provide content for these? Either way, you know they will come.

Either way, the living room 'convergence' is fast approaching (and for many it is already here). Amazon Alexa and others are creating new 'universal' remote standards and I suspect that more and more manufacturers will conform to Apple/Amazon/Google the way that that some devices auto-conform (out of the box) to Crestron or whatever.

It feels like so much of this is going to be commoditized and there will be less room to discuss stuff at avsforum. or perhaps there will be the 'next big thing' for tweakers.

I would be surprised if Roku is still around in 10 years. I wonder what their game plan for innovation is?

Blazar!
post #12 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
flagship Roku Ultra is still badly flawed

Has anyone looked at the thread for the Roku Ultra/Premiere models? They all have constant problems when you route them through any one of a large range of receivers before connecting to a TV. I don't know how they can qualify this new rollout as an upgrade across their entire product line if they're going to leave the flawed flagship model (Roku Ultra) the same.

Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread
Rudy1 likes this.
post #13 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I don't see the long term business model for this company. We are at a point where you can "have everything" for a low price and in an overpowered and smoothly functioning device (in theory at least). Another year and they will will work out most of the bugs and then perhaps get the 8k stuff ready.

8k of course will have marginal benefits vs 4k for most viewing circumstances. perhaps they go for Super Duper Dolby Vision UHD, but even then the effect becomes more and more a matter of diminishing returns.

Seems like we are missing blu-ray UHD quality movies and uncompressed atmos at this point from the streaming folks. Will it take another year to implement and provide content for these? Either way, you know they will come.

Either way, the living room 'convergence' is fast approaching (and for many it is already here). Amazon Alexa and others are creating new 'universal' remote standards and I suspect that more and more manufacturers will conform to Apple/Amazon/Google the way that that some devices auto-conform (out of the box) to Crestron or whatever.

It feels like so much of this is going to be commoditized and there will be less room to discuss stuff at avsforum. or perhaps there will be the 'next big thing' for tweakers.

I would be surprised if Roku is still around in 10 years. I wonder what their game plan for innovation is?

Isn't that what Roku is providing? An inexpensive smooth streaming appliance?

There's no reason why they couldn't integrate support for Alexa, Amazon has offered that support to third parties in the past.

I could see a draw for these for folks who have older smart TVs that don't support the latest streaming services or that don't do a good job handling the ones they have, as well as for the tons of dumb TVs out there (though those numbers will decrease over time).

I have an old SD analog CRT tube TV in my bedroom. It's almost 20 years old, but still works. I could see getting one of the cheap Roku sticks to turn it into a smart TV so I could watch Amazon and Netflix.

I'd have to compare against the FireTV stick though.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #14 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
I have an old SD analog CRT tube TV in my bedroom. It's almost 20 years old, but still works. I could see getting one of the cheap Roku sticks to turn it into a smart TV so I could watch Amazon and Netflix.
At this point why use a CRT if its not HD? Might be time to replace that old CRT. Everything is in widescreen nowadays.

Now if you have a HD CRT I could see keeping it....kind of.

Afro GT
post #15 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
At this point why use a CRT if its not HD? Might be time to replace that old CRT. Everything is in widescreen nowadays.

Now if you have a HD CRT I could see keeping it....kind of.
It's a bedroom TV, it gets used maybe once or twice a year if that, and it isn't costing me any money sitting there.

Eventually when I upgrade to a large OLED, direct-led, or projection setup in the HT I'll retire my 940C to the bedroom, at which point I'll chuck the old tube (or more likely just move it to storage, I can't bring myself to throw away things that still work, even if they're obsolete).

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #16 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know if the TVE (TV Everywhere) feature is coming to older Roku's (like the 3). Supposedly they have this now in os7, but I have to constantly sign back into my apps and validate my cable subscription. Having a single sign on for all these apps would be extremely welcome at this point.
post #17 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 632
So you can search for DV content but not play it? LOLS Cant decide whos more dumb... the company or the consumers who'll again buy an incomplete product.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #18 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was hoping their new models to have Atmos support since Netflix already added content for its 4k plan suscribers with compatible "netflix atmos devices".

Okja was the first addition along with Blame! (june 28), then Death Note (August 25) and Bright and Wheelman (ending of 2017).

panasonic projector (upgrading to JVC RS540)
Denon avr-x6200w Atmos/DTS:X 7.2.4
post #19 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post
I was hoping their new models to have Atmos support since Netflix already added content for its 4k plan suscribers with compatible "netflix atmos devices".

Okja was the first addition along with Blame! (june 28), then Death Note (August 25) and Bright and Wheelman (ending of 2017).
I think they can passthrough DD+ so streaming atmos shouldnt be a problem. TrueHD atmos on the otherhand would be nice to passthrough
movieloverAL likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #20 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
OK, so,where is Dolby Vision? The little streamers got nice updates, the Ultra just a price cut.
The new Ultra is not the same as the old Ultra, with a price change. It also lacks the optical out port. So the "new" is worse than the old.

Quote:
And compared to my Shield the Roku Ultra while fast is so much slower.
I didn't see anything about a processor speed upgrade, so I assume they're the same in that dept.

Quote:
Also I suspect the version 8 OS may be buggy for a while.
Speaking of which, I haven't used my Premiere+ enough yet to know... can we lock out automatic updates?

Lastly, maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it appears they have refreshed their entire web site for the new products... wiping out any trace of their old products? I would expect there to be a Legacy Products tab or something (at least). But it's as if neither the Premieres, nor the 2016 Ultra ever existed?
post #21 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Hopefully OS 8 will be more stable than the current firmware on the Ultra, but right now I have little confidence that Roku's software engineers can create a operating system without significant bugs on this hardware platform. It seems like every firmware update introduces new issues right now. I don't care nearly as much about adding Dolby Vision as I do having a device that requires rebooting every other day.
totally agree here. Had the roku for about 5 days. Afyer about 20 crashes and multiple reboots, i returned it. Gonna stick to my 360 for apps. I feel the same way about the Keurigs. The QA and buggyness of these products really makes me wonder how they still exist and are so popular.
post #22 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think Roku is now going to be a victim of playing to Wall Street. They have had it easy for their early years then FireTV comes along and TV's Built-In apps started getting better. Then they don't even step up and offer DV or Atmos or pass through. The enthusiast will go Shield or HTPC or use the TV apps to get DV and Atmos, and while Shield does not have DV it has audio pass through and horsepower that I am hoping nVidia will surprise us with DV soon.

Roku will wind up being for people with dumb TVs or with clunky built in apps and just need a grandma friendly streamer on low use TVs. I used to love Roku and have had so many many of them and virtually very model. The 3 was the pinnacle of stability and power when released. The 4 was buggy and quirky which forced me to a 2017 Shield. I picked up an Ultra only to deal with more bugs and quirks. They need something revolutionary not evolutionary to stay ahead.
Zzz..oltan! likes this.

LG 65C7P
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #23 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Dolby Vision is only supported in some Roku TVs, not the standalone streamers.
True and that is the big disappointment with this annual “upgrade release”.
JoinTheBattle likes this.

LG 65C7P
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #24 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Yes Roku does a poor job on software which is why I have an Ultra and an Apple TV. Once Amazon Prime is in the Apple TV I won't use the Roku anymore.
post #25 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I think Roku is now going to be a victim of playing to Wall Street. They have had it easy for their early years then FireTV comes along and TV's Built-In apps started getting better. Then they don't even step up and offer DV or Atmos or pass through. The enthusiast will go Shield or HTPC or use the TV apps to get DV and Atmos, and while Shield does not have DV it has audio pass through and horsepower that I am hoping nVidia will surprise us with DV soon.
Many will got to 4K Apple TV which has DV now and Atmos coming. The 4K ATV and the last model had noticeably better video that my Ultra.
The Shield is more of a niche device kind if un between streamers and consoles.
The last Roku was super buggy, lot of complaints about fan noise etc. I returned mine but i did get the Ultra when it came out.
post #26 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't know what you could possibly be doing with your device. I don't have such issues and I have 3 units. Two of them are in use daily. One every night for many hours. Zero problems. Did you update your ultra when you got it?
post #27 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
Has anyone looked at the thread for the Roku Ultra/Premiere models? They all have constant problems when you route them through any one of a large range of receivers before connecting to a TV. I don't know how they can qualify this new rollout as an upgrade across their entire product line if they're going to leave the flawed flagship model (Roku Ultra) the same.

Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread
They didn't leave the Ultra the same. They removed the optical port and added a few minor things to the remote. It would be interesting to compare the guts of the new ultra to the latest one.
post #28 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieloverAL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I think they can passthrough DD+ so streaming atmos shouldnt be a problem. TrueHD atmos on the otherhand would be nice to passthrough
My existing Ultra passes through DD+ based Atmos from Vudu fine - my Anthem receiver switches from showing the stream as DD+ 3/4 to Atmos after a couple of seconds - so hopefully Netflix works too (haven't tried it). Dolby Amaze (free on Vudu) is a great demo to verify with.
post #29 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meelk View Post
I don't know what you could possibly be doing with your device. I don't have such issues and I have 3 units.
Are yours ultras? Mine has spontaneous reboots and has been exchanged once already.
post #30 of 66 Old 10-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
Are yours ultras? Mine has spontaneous reboots and has been exchanged once already.
I have 3 Ultras from launch and absolutely zero problems.
john fusco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku , roku express , roku streaming stick , roku ultra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page