Can I record streaming content with 5.1 audio? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2017, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Can I record streaming content with 5.1 audio?

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I'm doing this from work and don't have the luxury of wading through hundreds of posts so please bear with me. I have recently signed up for streaming content from Netflix and Amazon. I currently have an Nvidia Shield, Roku Premiere Plus, and Amazon FireTV (both the box and the stick). The wife is not technically savvy at all and having her use a new device to stream video content is not in her wheelhouse. I have a server with lots of movies and TV shows and she generally knows how to watch movies from it. I'd like to be able to record movies and shows from Netflix , mostly for the grandkids, but also for me. Everything I've read on the topic indicates that I can only record the audio in stereo. I find content online all the time with 5.1 audio that was recorded from Netflix and other streaming sources so I'm wondering how this can be accomplished. I know about using a splitter to defeat HDCP so I can watch content on my PC monitor. I just don't know how to capture the video with a 5.1 audio stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-11-2017, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I can't believe nobody has an answer to my question. A little more research and I happened to stumble upon this device:

There's a link to the product page in the text for the video. The Beelink SEA I is basically an Android box that has both an HDMI input and output. It is not HDCP compliant, but a search on the net will tell you how to get around that. The Beelink SEA I has an internal bay for up to a 1TB SSD and has the ability to record from the input as well as any sources you may have configured using Kodi. The specs show that it will record up to 2160p with 5.1 audio so it appears to be exactly what I've been looking for. I just ordered one and should have it in the next week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page