• 1 Post By Jon S

post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 9001
Usb 3.0

Why am I having such a hard time finding a 5 meter run of this cable?

Basic A to B terminations.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Amazon has dozens in the 15 to 25 foot range. You'll want to look into max. length recommendations. I recall when 3.0 first came out a lot of people thought 3m was the max. for a non-active cable if you want sustained 4Gb bandwidth, I'm not sure about that.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I need a direct link to a brand I can trust.

I know 5 meters was the limit for 2.0, how about 3.0 or 3.1?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.

ELJR's "listening" blog.

Last edited by eljr; 10-05-2017 at 01:53 AM.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 645
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=PTQANPKTSSA2

Plenty of them at 15 ft.

It looks like 5m you need an active extension cable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+usb+3.0+cable

post #5 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I see exactly one on the page you offered.

Can I trust Cable Matters?

The terminations on most this low end stuff is crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
It looks like 5m you need an active extension cable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+usb+3.0+cable
Is there any science that says 3 meter is max for 3.0? I have looked around and found none.

Just a lot of advice to get a "well made" cable for over 3 meter.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are more 15' A to B cables on the other pages.

You might be better off with the active extension cable. Then you can use whatever connection you need at the other end if your needs change.

Try to buy from Amazon as the seller and it's an easy return if it doesn't work. The other sellers will still accept returns, but the ease may vary.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 303
USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of five meters for USB 2.0. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. The maximum cable length is due to line capacitance/inductance issues, and the signal's voltage loss along the length of the cable.

The USB-IF compliance for USB 3.0 standards restricted A male to B male cable lengths to three meters maximum. Cables with USB 3.0 Micro B plugs were limited to one meter maximum for compliance requirement. The higher bandwidth and speeds for USB 3.0 further restricted its maximum length compared to USB 2.0. If you go longer than three meters, it is recommended you use an active USB cable or with hubs in between.

Good luck in finding a reliable five meter USB 3.0 cable...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
An optical USB 3 cable may help...read this for some background then decide...
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...stance-promise
eljr likes this.

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #9 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Good luck in finding a reliable five meter USB 3.0 cable...
and the need for sarcasm was?

can you please support this with a link, thanks

ELJR's "listening" blog.

Last edited by eljr; 10-05-2017 at 01:52 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why not buy the 15' active extension cable?

post #11 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 105
https://www.corning.com/optical-cabl...al-cables.html

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
post #12 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To eljr, my good luck comment was not meant to be sarcasm, but apparently your negative attitude reads it that way.

From the Telecommunications Handbook: Engineering Guidelines for Fixed, Mobile and Satellite Systems:

The maximum length of USB 1 type cable is 3 meters for low speed operation (1.5Mb/s) and USB 2 allows a maximum cable length of 5 meters with high speed data rate devices (480Mb/s). The most important limitation for cable length is the maximum tolerated round-trip delay which is approximate 1.5 microseconds for the reception of answer from the USB device to the USB host command. As time is needed for USB device response and furthermore, there are delays due to the maximum number of hubs, the maximum acceptable delay per cable is 26 nanoseconds. In practice, the USB 2.0 specification dictates that the cable delay should be less than 5.2 nanoseconds per meter.

The USB 3.0 standard does not directly dictate maximum cable length. nevertheless, it states that all cables shall meet electrical specifications so for copper cabling the maximum practical length is 3 meters.

From Tech Republic:

From the Cable Store:
The 3.0/3.1 specification does not specify a maximum cable length between USB 3.0/3.1 devices (SuperSpeed or SuperSpeed+), but there is a recommended length of 3 meters (or about 9 feet and 10 inches). However, the biggest limitation to the length of the cable is the quality of the cable. Results may vary, but with a high quality cable you should be able to go beyond 3 meters. However, to ensure you achieve the best results possible, use an active cable when going more than 10 feet (3 meters).

From Newnex Technology
The new USB 3.0 standard has dramatically improved the connection between hosts and peripherals across the world. With its SuperSpeed data transfer rate of 5 Gbit/s and current delivery rates at 900 mA, USB 3.0 has improved upon and supplanted USB 2.0 in numerous applications. Despite these improvements in electrical performance, USB 3.0 is significantly limited by its shorter cable length requirement. In April 2013, an update to the USB-IF compliance for USB 3.0 standards restricted A male to B male cable lengths to three meters maximum. Cables with USB 3.0 Micro B plugs were limited to one meter maximum for compliance requirement.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-06-2017, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
To eljr, my good luck comment was not meant to be sarcasm, but apparently your negative attitude reads it that way.
Not buying it BUT if true, my apologies. Your input is appreciated. However, had it not been sarcastic you would not have issued the highlighted "but"in this post.

Sticking to topic, if I read this correctly, "with a high quality cable you should be able to go beyond 3 meters" means I still need definition.

What is a high quality cable and just how far beyond 3 meters?

or, as this quote is from the Cable Store, is this comment just there to keep cables from vendors such as Wireworld happy? the 5 meter Starlight 3.0 cable from Wireworld

again, your knowledge sharing is greatly appreciated.

ELJR's "listening" blog.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-06-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There lies the rub... What one cable company may consider to be high quality could be another company's reject. There is no standard for USB 3.0 since it was never officially specified. Since three meters is the unofficial standard, five meters would be suspect. Remember, higher the bandwidth, the shorter the transmission range. The USB 2.0 standard can theoretically transfer data at a very high 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps). That's impressive, but not as much as the newer USB 3.0, which can handle up to 5gbps (640MBps)—over ten times as fast as the 2.0 maximum. That is a huge difference in bandwidth.

In the end, you might find only an uber-expensive esoteric brand like Audioquest's Carbon USB cable will work. A cheaper cable could work but would you recognize any signal degradation or altered bits? USB tries to maintain the signal but to what extent?
eljr likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page