how much server software maintenance do you do? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For players (like slim Squeezebox) that rely on on server software:

I am curious how much time you spend (or how often) downloading and updating the server software. 1 x month, 1 x week, 2-3 x year?? How much work is the update process?

I have browsed through the support forums for a few of these players and it seems like people are updating the software on a regular basis. I don't mind a couple of updates a year if they are easy to install - but I don't really want to do this on a more regular basis.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-09-2004, 06:15 PM

I've had a Squeezebox for about 4 months now. I've updated the server one time in those 4 months, and another release has just been made, but I have not installed it yet. In any case, the server has had no problems, so there is not reason to upgrade if you don't want to.

As a side note, SlimServer is developed on an open source model, so builds are updated nightly. A lot of people who develop the server, or want to test it, will install these builds. However, it is not recommended for average users, because they are development releases and likely to have bugs. A lot of the traffic on Slim Devices' lists are people talking about problems with the development builds. This may be the reason why it seems like people are updating all the time.

So, for the Squeezebox, updates come every 2-3 months or so. I run the server on my Mac OS X box, and installs are painless. Just a couple of dialogs to click through. I can't speak for any other server software, as this is the only one I use.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Steve,

You typically do not have to touch Slim Server once you have it up and running. You may want to update occasionally if you are encountering a problem, or would like to try a new feature... But otherwise, it's pretty much fire and forget.

Just an A/V nut.
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page