SqueezeBox Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2004, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the SqueezeBox server software converts FLAC before sending to the SqueezeBox. I'm curious, does it convert formats like FLAC to MP3 or WAV before sending it to the SqueezeBox?

If it converts it to MP3 do we know at what bitrate? If it converts to WAV first I may go ahead and buy it. Conversion to MP3 doesn't interest me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 11:36 AM

Greetings,

By default Slim Server will convert FLAC to uncompressed PCM, if the flac binary is in your path.

This can be changed in a file called convert.conf, if for some reason you need to convert it to MP3. It's not recommended to use uncompressed audio over 802.11b, so that's one reason you might want to transcode to MP3 on the fly.

Just an A/V nut.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) have any real world experience with uncompressed audio over 802.11b? What is the performance like? Should I expect dropouts?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:59 PM

I've used my Sqeezebox to play back uncompressed audio over 802.11b. I didn't notice any adverse side effects. My wireless network doesn't get used to heavily, just audio streaming and web browsing from the couch with my PowerBook.

So, if you are an average user, you shouldn't have any problems. If for some reason you really push a lot of data over your wireless network, you might notice some issues.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiliGoose
Thank you.
Do you (or anyone for that matter) have any real world experience with uncompressed audio over 802.11b? What is the performance like? Should I expect dropouts?
I've done quite a bit of testing on this, and it typically does not work well. The data rate is quite significant, especially if you are wireless from your computer to your base station, and then from the base station to the Squeezebox.

If you use wired ethernet on one side of this, playback of uncompressed audio can work OK, but if both sides are wireless, dropouts can occur. This is why we recommend for 802.11b use, to use MP3 format primarily...

Just an A/V nut.