Soundbridge or Squeezebox? Other rec's welcome... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2004, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
looking to purchase a DAR/Network Media Device in the near future and I can't decide between the two? I almost bought the squeezebox, but then got word of the new roku product and decided to wait for it instead.

I'm basically just looking for something for music as the primary, and I really like what I've read about the SlimServer software. My plan is to control music playback from either my desktop, or my wireless laptop, and according to what I've read, that should work provided I have the SlimServer installed on both machines?

I don't mind not having a TV UI, although the more I read, the more I htink I might want to view pictures/videos on my TV from my PC without having to connect it? The Play@TV looks interesting, but the Soundbridge still seems like the way to go.

I guess I'm just putting some feelers out for some of your thoughts, since this will be a new arena of home networking I'll be stepping into.

Thanks in advance,
stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 06:00 AM

The Squeezebox will always be well supported with Slimserver (since the two are officially linked together) and it is available right now. I'd go with the Squeezebox.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikestan21

I'm basically just looking for something for music as the primary, and I really like what I've read about the SlimServer software. My plan is to control music playback from either my desktop, or my wireless laptop, and according to what I've read, that should work provided I have the SlimServer installed on both machines?
You only need the slimserver installed on the machine with your music. The server can be controlled through any web browser, as well as the squeezebox.

Also, I should note that there is quite a bit of information about this product in this forum.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

How does it work that I only need the server software installed on the machine where my music is? And will it work if I have all my music on an external hardrive? It's there for backup and it's not networked, so I am guessing no.
I wish there was more info out on the roku product, since it visually seems superior to the squeezebox. Although I would take performance over looks any day.
ty,
stan
Old 02-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

I expect the Roku to function virtually identically to the Squeezebox as they're both based on the same server software/web interface.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:02 AM

Regarding the Slimserver software, is it absolutely necessary to have it installed on the local machine (i.e., the computer that the music resides on)? I was hoping I could put the server software on another network machine, to reduce overhead on the file server computer (which also is my main production computer).
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikestan21
How does it work that I only need the server software installed on the machine where my music is? And will it work if I have all my music on an external hardrive? It's there for backup and it's not networked, so I am guessing no.
I wish there was more info out on the roku product, since it visually seems superior to the squeezebox. Although I would take performance over looks any day.
ty,
stan
The SlimServer includes a built in web browser that allows you to control the music playing on any Sqeezebox. You simply type the address of your computer into your favorite browser, and then you can knock yourself out controlling music. This is why you only need the server installed on one machine.

As for the external drive, it should work but you need to provide more details to know for sure. As long as you can access the drive from the computer itself, you will be alright. You can also network mount a drive and use that as well. SlimServer does amazingly well at handling odd set-ups.

I have a Squeezebox myself, and I highly recommend it. The device looks a lot better in person than in the photos on the website. I would imagine you would be happy with a Squeezebox purchase. I certainly have been.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:07 PM

Looks like Jared beet me to a reply. I've been remodeling a kitchen, so no time to surf until now.

Note that you can try out the slimServer software WITHOUT a squeezeboz. I use it occasionally for parties. My server with the software and music is in my study. I hook my laptop up to my stereo and connect to the slimserver stream with winamp. Winamp will NOT control the slimserver, it just plays the stream. I then open up a firefox browser on the laptop and run it in full-screen kiosk mode. I modified the Fishbone skin to give it more of a jukebox feel so anyone can add songs throughout the night, but nobody can remove them.

Just thought you might like an example of how to use the software without a squeezebox. You only need one computer to test, just pull up winamp on the server to play the stream. Or pull up winamp on all you computers and stream the music everywhere. Whatever :)

-- Jeff