Onkyo/Integra Net-Tune Users - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 442 Old 06-16-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I'd let everyone know that I wrote a script that will create the Net-Tune music database and playlists by using the iTunes SDK. It will create playlists from all the iTunes playlists, including whatever state your smart playlists may be in. So you can have lists for your top rated, recently played, etc... There are a few limitations. iTunes doesn't support WMA, so if your music collection includes WMA files you won't be able to include them in your database without firing up the Net-Tune DB creator. Also, Net-Tune doesn't support AAC so I'm only importing the MP3 files. The Net-Tune software is so poorly written and designed that it makes managing playlists nearly impossible.

If anyone is interested in the script let me know and I'll email it to you. It's a simple javascript, only requires that iTunes is up and running. Nothing else to install.

I'm considering writing plugins for Winamp or Windows Media Player but that's a bit more work. I've been writing Java for that past couple of years and C++ now seems a little daunting. Would be nice if Onkyo would ditch their music managment and write the plugins themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 442 Old 06-20-2004, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sounds fantastic, except that I use Windows Media Player and WMA8/9 encoded songs!

I'd love to have an easier way for Net-Tune to manage music. It's really a very primitive piece of software. I hate having to rerun the Net-Tune database every time I add a new song to my collection. With 1000 songs, it's slow enough, and getting slower every time.

How much work would it be to adapt your script to WMP? Unfortunately, I only have VB and Perl skills... C is a distant college memory now.
post #3 of 442 Old 06-22-2004, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bshor
How much work would it be to adapt your script to WMP? Unfortunately, I only have VB and Perl skills... C is a distant college memory now.

I have a friend that's in the same boat that you're in, he has a few Net-Tune devices (he's a dealer) but uses WMP to encode his CD's. So.... I think the WMP plugin is what I'll do next. I'm not much of a COM developer, have been doing Java for a couple of years, and the WMP stuff is all COM. (So is iTunes but Apple did a better job of hiding the nasty details when writing scripts.) I've downloaded the WMP SDK and I have VC6. I'll let you know in a week or two if I'm making any progress.

Time to work on the resume anyways, probably not a bad idea to do a project to kick my mind into gear.

post #4 of 442 Old 06-23-2004, 08:01 PM

Cool! Looking forward to it.

I guess we have little hope of Net-Tune upgrades ...
post #5 of 442 Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 AM

By the way, I've found out that despite the manual, Net-Tune apparantly accepts very high bit-rate WMA9 files. I've done 300+ kbps, when the manual says you can only do 192kbps.
post #6 of 442 Old 07-01-2004, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bshor
By the way, I've found out that despite the manual, Net-Tune apparantly accepts very high bit-rate WMA9 files. I've done 300+ kbps, when the manual says you can only do 192kbps.

Hmmm, I thought I tried high bit rate WMA's and they didn't work. Maybe it's just the highest quality WMA VBR's that wouldn't work.

I have some bad news... I don't think I'll be writing the Windows Media plugin after all. I became so fed up with XP (and Word) that I went out and purchased a G5 PowerMac last week. I may try to write my own Net-Tune server for the Mac, but that's not going to help you out at all.

I'll post here if things change.
post #7 of 442 Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd like to see the following:

1. Third party software. The Net-Tune software is so basic that I feel bad using it. There are so many things that could be changed with it...
2. The ability to select from different internet radio servers. The server my Onkyo is pointed at offers only very low bandwidth stations, resulting in mediocre to dismal sound.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #8 of 442 Old 07-09-2004, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NVboy
I'd like to see the following:

2. The ability to select from different internet radio servers. The server my Onkyo is pointed at offers only very low bandwidth stations, resulting in mediocre to dismal sound.

Ain't that the truth. This is the route I took. It's not exactly elegant but it works.

-I used a HTTP protocol sniffer to capture the files that are sent and returned to Xiva (the horrible radio service that Onkyo is using).
-I edited the Xiva response file (containing the list of stations) and added my own stations.
-I setup a web server and dns server on my computer.
-On my webserver, I wrote a script that will return my edited xiva response file on any request for radio stations.
-I configured my Onkyo receiver to use my computer as a DNS server. So when it needs to lookup the IP address for www.xiva.com, my DNS server will return the IP address of my computer.

The end result is that my Onkyo receiver will request a list of stations from the Xiva service, my computer intercepts this request and returns my list of stations. At this point I was hoping I could add my stations to the presets on the receiver and take down my web server, dns server, etc. But it's not that simple. Even when the Onkyo receiver accesses it's presets, it makes a request to Xiva. So if my computer is not answering the request I'll get some random station.

This is a lot of trouble and it's not for everyone (or anyone). I don't have a problem with opening up my solution to people here as long as it doesn't get around and cause a huge amount of traffic to my website. That is... if you could run a dns server on your pc so that your xiva requests are rerouted to my mac, then I can maintain a list of radio stations for you. Or you can simply listen to my stations, which I can assure you will be higher than Xiva's 32kbps "high fidelity" stations.

-------------------------------------

Footnote... Actually, I guess you could just point your Onkyo receiver to my computer as a DNS server. So all you would have to do is configure your receiver to point to my computer.

I should also say that I can not offer any assurances as to availibility, my computer may or may not be available when you want to listen to the radio
post #9 of 442 Old 07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew67
Ain't that the truth. This is the route I took. It's not exactly elegant but it works.

-I used a HTTP protocol sniffer to capture the files that are sent and returned to Xiva (the horrible radio service that Onkyo is using).
-I edited the Xiva response file (containing the list of stations) and added my own stations.
-I setup a web server and dns server on my computer.
-On my webserver, I wrote a script that will return my edited xiva response file on any request for radio stations.
-I configured my Onkyo receiver to use my computer as a DNS server. So when it needs to lookup the IP address for www.xiva.com, my DNS server will return the IP address of my computer.

The end result is that my Onkyo receiver will request a list of stations from the Xiva service, my computer intercepts this request and returns my list of stations. At this point I was hoping I could add my stations to the presets on the receiver and take down my web server, dns server, etc. But it's not that simple. Even when the Onkyo receiver accesses it's presets, it makes a request to Xiva. So if my computer is not answering the request I'll get some random station.

This is a lot of trouble and it's not for everyone (or anyone). I don't have a problem with opening up my solution to people here as long as it doesn't get around and cause a huge amount of traffic to my website. That is... if you could run a dns server on your pc so that your xiva requests are rerouted to my mac, then I can maintain a list of radio stations for you. Or you can simply listen to my stations, which I can assure you will be higher than Xiva's 32kbps "high fidelity" stations.

-------------------------------------

Footnote... Actually, I guess you could just point your Onkyo receiver to my computer as a DNS server. So all you would have to do is configure your receiver to point to my computer.

I should also say that I can not offer any assurances as to availibility, my computer may or may not be available when you want to listen to the radio

Interesting approach. I hadn't even thought about faking out the Onkyo via the PC. Hmm, that could be interesting. The gears are turning now. I wonder if there is some way to get into the Onkyo, maybe to some simplistic setup type menu. Thanks for the offer about routing via your Mac, but I don't want to take anyone's resources, plus I don't really use it that often. I'm sure I would if I had better quality stations to listen to though!

post #10 of 442 Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM

I am willing to work with you using Java to make an "OS-X/LINUX" version of the net-tune server if you're up for it...
Kurt

K
post #11 of 442 Old 02-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I will pay money for a program to run Net-Tune on my mac...
post #12 of 442 Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can someone please email me the itunes importer script?
post #13 of 442 Old 07-05-2005, 02:53 PM

Noob here. I just found this topic searching google.
I have a TX-NR801 sitting on my desk less than an hour old and just found out the Net Audio feature is all hype. (Onkyo, PLEASE let me add my own stations. I mean Come ON!) As a mac user with unique tastes in music, this feature is as good as dead.

Is there any chance you can E-Mail that script to me so I can upgrade my expen$ive amp from XiVA's kiddy table to the buffet line that is Internet Radio and iTunes Music. ( ebby2005 at SSBA dot com)

EDIT: In fact, this might be a cool thing to post on macupdate. Others would probably like this too if they knew it existed.
post #14 of 442 Old 08-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Hi there,

I am having difficulty in establishing network setup for net-tune on an Onkyo TX-NR801. I connected it to my router, saw the green light on the ethernet connection, even did some port forwarding in router settings hoping that it would help but so far no chance ! I can not even display the internet radio station list. I did not try to play songs from my PC yet. I am using auto DHCP, and the default port 60096 with no proxies.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
post #15 of 442 Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM

It took me a few times before I could access the database too. I think it is just unreliable. I gave my amp a static IP and that seemed to fix it. (I think the amp has a hard time finding DNS servers) Pick a unused IP address outside your DHCP pool with the last number between 1 and 253. My network uses addresses like 192.168.123.XXX yours may be different. Just substitute yours addresses for mine.

Turn off DHCP and enter something like this...
A:192168123_99 (IP address)
S:255255255__0 (Subnet Mask)
G:192168123254 (Gateway AKA. your router)
1:XXXXXXXXXXXX (DNS server #1 - get this info from your router unless you use the hack above)
2:XXXXXXXXXXXX (DNS server #2 - get this info from your router)

You don't need to use port forwarding because your Amp is not a server. Requests can still leave your network and your router knows and waits for a response. If the router is not expecting a request, it ignores it. That is where port forwarding comes in, forcing the router to listen to requests it wasn't expecting.

The PC software...
Port forwarding won't do anything since the Amp and your computer are both on your LAN. If it is pointing to your PC, you just let users on the internet access to one of your computers. (Specifically your music using that Onkyo software) While I don't think any bad programs would take advantage of this open port, there is still a security issue to think about.

Try pinging your Amp in the command line from your PC. Type "ping 192.168.123.100" (you change the IP address to point to your amp.) If it does communicate, everything is configured correctly on your amp and your computer is the problem. Check for a firewall on your PC. It could be blocking communication.

If Ping fails, double check your settings on the Amp. Most likely they are pooched.
post #16 of 442 Old 08-13-2005, 09:33 AM

Thanks Mr. Spork for the excellent suggestions. The problem was actually resolved by just rebooting the router??. I did not have to define a fixed IP. Now I need to close the port I guess for security reasons. I am using my notebook as a server, which is wirelessly connected to the router by the way (although not recommended) and it really works great. I am so glad that I opted for net-tune feature.

Hako
post #17 of 442 Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM

Hi,

I have an Onkyo TX-NR901 with Net-Tune capabilities. However, I have a Macintosh computer and while I know I can't use it for Net-Tunes per se, am I able to access Internet Radio or am I completely iced out as a Macintosh user? I use Air-Tunes anyway but I'm a curious guy and just kind of want to know. Thanks!
post #18 of 442 Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 PM

The Net audio feature accesses a database of streams over the net and is independent of your computer or operating system. You can't access the music on your computer from your amp, but you can access internet radio stations.

(I'm a Mac user too and I hope Onkyo works with Apple for some sort of iTunes plugin. Unlikely, but I have my fingers crossed.)
post #19 of 442 Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the reply I currently use Air-Tunes (Airport Express) and am reasonably happy with it, although sometimes it would be nice to have some Internet Radio options and not have to get my computer fired up, etc.

Initially I connected my Air-Tunes to Net-Tune and was able to see an IP Address but wasn't able to find any radio stations. I really didn't give it much of an effort as I wasn't expecting any of it to work. I'll give it a thorough look with a more hopeful eye and who knows?
I'm not expecting much success, however, as my Airport Express is "talking" to a Netgear Router (which took some hoop jumping in and of itself). Any insight with regard to Firewall manipulation and port forwarding, etc. is greatly appreciated.
post #20 of 442 Old 08-18-2005, 05:47 PM

I assume your Netgear router is connected to your internet.

You can set up the Airport Express as a bridge to connect wired devices to a wireless network by setting it up as "a WDS remote or relay station". Personally, I would connect the amp directly to the netgear router using a ethernet cable as a temporary solution. Just to make sure it streaming works before adding the wireless factor. (Wireless networks can be finicky and hard to troubleshoot if you make many changes at once.)

Since you do have two routers on your network, make sure one has DHCP turned off (like the Airport express). This can cause conflicts on your network.

You have to worry about port forwarding if you are hosting a server (Game, music, Appletalk/SMB, FTP, Web...) and want people from the internet to access your machine. The Onkyo amp... Well, I'll be damned! The Amp DOES has a web server! It can't do anything, but it is there!

Ahhh, don't worry about it.
post #21 of 442 Old 08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpork View Post

The Onkyo amp... Well, I'll be damned! The Amp DOES has a web server! It can't do anything, but it is there!

Are you being serious? If so, how in the world did you figure that one out?

post #22 of 442 Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 PM

I did a port scan on my Amp's IP address and port 80 was open. (Used for web pages) I opened my web browser and typed in "hp://192.168.123.XX" (darn this spam control!) and the amp responded with "HP /1.0 200 OK". There is no web page or anything, but it responds to a request for a web page which is oh so close! I have a feeling this was used for debugging or else web-based control was buggy and they disabled it. Nonetheless, all kinds of wicked-cool features could be added by a simple firmware upgrade.
post #23 of 442 Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did a port scan on my Amp's IP address and port 80 was open. (Used for web pages) I opened my web browser and typed in "hp://192.168.123.XX" (darn this spam control!) and the amp responded with "HP /1.0 200 OK". There is no web page or anything, but it responds to a request for a web page which is oh so close! I have a feeling this was used for debugging or else web-based control was buggy and they disabled it. Nonetheless, all kinds of wicked-cool features could be added by a simple firmware upgrade.

The best thing possible would be to go straight into a menu of sorts, complete with IP pointers for internet radio. I suppose some dumb licensing deal was made though, so I doubt we could gain access to the true guts of our receivers. Still, if you have any luck hacking into the thing, please post your findings here.

post #24 of 442 Old 08-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I assume your Netgear router is connected to your internet.

You can set up the Airport Express as a bridge to connect wired devices to a wireless network by setting it up as "a WDS remote or relay station". Personally, I would connect the amp directly to the netgear router using a ethernet cable as a temporary solution. Just to make sure it streaming works before adding the wireless factor. (Wireless networks can be finicky and hard to troubleshoot if you make many changes at once.)

Since you do have two routers on your network, make sure one has DHCP turned off (like the Airport express). This can cause conflicts on your network.

You have to worry about port forwarding if you are hosting a server (Game, music, Appletalk/SMB, FTP, Web...) and want people from the internet to access your machine. The Onkyo amp... Well, I'll be damned! The Amp DOES has a web server! It can't do anything, but it is there!

Ahhh, don't worry about it.

Well, I finally unhooked my receiver and schlepped it into the room where the internet connection and router live. I was able to get the receiver to search and identify various stations. But were they playing? I don't know as I didn't have a pair of headphones at my disposal but the LED readout on the front indicated that things were working.

I'm not sure that I can make it work wirelessly as I don't believe the Airport Express is designed to be a "receiver/distributor" for lack of a better term. It'll take music being piped out of itunes and receive it and send the audio to my receiver. I don't believe it'll communicate with my Netgear router and act as a bridge. There's an ethernet connection on the Airport Express but I think that's for the Internet "in" connection only.

Is an wireless ethernet bridge what I need to make this connection?

I dunno.

Thanks.
post #25 of 442 Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 PM

jaybee2,

Yes, a wireless ethernet bridge is what you need. I have done it before with a Net-Tune equipped receiver. Worked fine, but YMMV. It depends on many factors.

Eric
post #26 of 442 Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 PM

If you set the Airport express into "WDS" mode, it should change the ethernet port from a WAN (internet) port to LAN (common network) port. In theory, you should be able to get the amp online without buying anything else.

Like I said before, wireless networks can be a pain to troubleshoot. Best to take it one step at a time.

All my amp displays is Buffering 10% -> 90% than it starts playing. You can push some buttons to get info on the screen like bitrate and format. If you got that, it works.
post #27 of 442 Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM

Greetings. I'd very much like the Mac script Andrew wrote for itunes.

I just received this as a present and do not own a pc.

THank you very much.

dalberts- -at- -aol- -dot- -com
post #28 of 442 Old 09-03-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnusson View Post

Greetings. I'd very much like the Mac script Andrew wrote for itunes.

I just received this as a present and do not own a pc.

THank you very much.

dalberts- -at- -aol- -dot- -com

I PM'd Andrew, but didn't hear back. I am guessing he has lost the scripts. I was looking for them as well.

W
post #29 of 442 Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Andrew has been MIA on AVSForum for about a year now.

Eric
post #30 of 442 Old 09-04-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

Andrew has been MIA on AVSForum for about a year now.

Eric

He posted about 5 days ago according to a search.

W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming