AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Audio request Ethernet options?

890 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tonygod 
#1 ·
First off, thanks to Zachary for his presence.

My house is pretty tough to wire, It's working well wirelessly right now with the LinkSys Wap11. Now my real question is how do I make it happen with the AudioRequest? Is the only choice the Lucent Ethernet bridge? (seems like a heavy price)

Any other recommendations? Phoneline? Wireless?

Thanks!

Gene

#2 ·
Maybe I spoke too soon re: Zachary's presence?

Apparently this is an "unofficial" forum, and AudioRequest support rarely shows?

I really want to buy one of these, but if I can't get answers here or on their web forum, I suppose I'll look for alternatives..

#3 ·
What is it that you're looking for?

Their documentation says that it has Ethernet capability. If you deliver an Ethernet connection to the box, it will work, right?

If you cannot supply it with a standard Ethernet connection due to wiring concerns on your end, how can you hold them responsible for coming up with solution that will work in your special case?

If you want to convert Ethernet to a wireless or phone line product, figure out which product does what you need, and go for it.

Busting their chops because they don't come up with a solution for you is not reasonable, IMHO.

------------------

Scott Jentsch

Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
http://www.bigscreen.com

#4 ·
By no means am I "busting their chops". I'm buying one and am trying to work through the issues regarding ethernet. The location the device is going has two options. Phoneline and wireless. On the ARQ forum, they have discussed wireless, I'm just looking for whatever works.

They have been helpful on their forum. Offering the consumer options other than a hardwired ethernet connection will only serve to sell more boxes, which in turn will be good for us all. They have stated that they will offer other options in future versions of the application.

Chill.... I'm a supporter, just trying to get a solution for myself and others.

#5 ·
How tough can it be to draw one wire? I have wired my whole house.. sure it is a mess to go in the attic.. draw wires down walls and so on.. two story houses are a real pain true.. but even though.. go outside.. pipe a wire from through the wall then.. alot ways around that..

#6 ·
Very tough... it's a downstairs "center" wall that is offset about 1 foot from the wall above it with no access to the attic above that wall. There is also no side access. Solid wood floor below (no basement).

I'll most likely use a pair of NetGear phoneline/Ethernet bridges.

The AudioRequest staff has been very helpful in the message forum on their web site, as well as on the phone.

Gene

#8 ·
I bought mine directly from the mfgr off of ebay. I'm sure it was probably a show demo or something similar. It's in great shape with a few really small hairline scratches on the top, they won't even be seen in the rack.

I paid $600.00, which was great.. a $200.00 savings. I've been ripping CD's and downloading MP3's all weekend. The upside is that ripping directly works great, dropping in MP3's is real easy, but you really need to cleanup the ID3 tags, unfortunately few people on Napster add that information.

Gene

#9 ·
You can do what I did - hook it up to a HomePNA 10mbps network. This uses standard phone lines and still gives you a speedy 10mbps.

You'll need to get an Ethernet -> HomePNA bridge. Both LinkSys and Netgear make these. 4 simple steps:

1) Take an ethernet cable, connect it from AudioRequest to the bridge

2) Hook the bridge into the phone line

3) Put your HomePNA card in your computer where you store all of your mp3s

4) Hook it into the phone line

and you're in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.