AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for a digital jukebox...

724 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gerald 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Hopefully someone in this forum will be able to help! I'm looking to get a digital jukebox very similar to the Audio ReQuest, but I need it to have digital outputs so that I can hook it up directly to a pair of Meridian digital speakers. The bigger the hard drive, the better (I'd want around 500-1000 hours at a very high quality sampling rate). If anyone knows of such a device, please let me know!

Thanks,

Gerald.

#2 ·
I know I will get flamed for this, but I must ask.

Why would you connect an MP3 device that compresses the data

and then decompresses it, giving a huge amount of loss, to a pair of

Meridian speakers?

Have you heard MP3 on a high end system? I can only imagine how

bad it sounds on a great pair of speakers.

Keep me posted. I'd like to know how this turns out.

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

#3 ·
No flaming necessary!

Just 12 months ago, this wouldn't have been feasible, but given the relatively low cost of diskspace these days, I'm seriously condsidering it.

As I mentioned in my post, I'd use a very high sampling rate to maintain an "acceptable" quality. Even with zero compression, it should be possible to store around 250 CD's on a couple of 80 Gig drives. If you only decided to encode your favourite 50 CD's with zero compression, you'd have a ton of space left over to encode more CD's at a high (say 448kbps) sampling rate.

I've been doing a bit of research over the w/e and it seems that Lansonic might have just the product. They even have a ~2:1 lossless compression algorithm now on the PRO-ML that would give you around 500 hours of music on 160 Gigs.

Naturally, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has hooked one of these things up to a pair of DSP speakers!

Regards,

Gerald.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.