Criticism - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2001, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I shell out over $800 for the ARQ1, I expect nothing less than complete satisfaction. Yes I am impressed with the units capabilities, the fact that I can update it through the internet, download music from my computer/internet or from a cd loaded in the internal tray. But if I am happy with all of these features, then why am I considering this purchase if the first thing I do with it is try to position it in an area not too noticeable yet be able to use the remote control. Lets face it, the unit is ugly. To make it worse, it has a hideous green LCD. I know this might seem shallow but if I am spending over $800 I can afford to be. Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way. In the Sound and Vision report that Audio Request boasts about, they too fault the unit on its appearance. Has anyone seen the Lansonic unit? That looks good. A vibrant blue screen only emphasizes the high-tech nature of the unit. I would like to know if Audio Request is planning to change the LCD screen or at the very least provide a hard casing to cover the LCD screen. Lets face it, the screen is not only an eye sore but a moot feature. Its not like there are control buttons on the the face of the ARQ1 to navigate through playlists. The television monitor is the real display screen because it there that you can actually see what you are doing and what playlist you are shifting through. The small green LCD screen seems to be a half-assed attempt to add another feature to the units specs list. Either change it to facilitate an actual purpose in tasteful decor or just take it off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2001, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adguillen:
If I shell out over $800 for the ARQ1, I expect nothing less than complete satisfaction. Yes I am impressed with the units capabilities, the fact that I can update it through the internet, download music from my computer/internet or from a cd loaded in the internal tray. But if I am happy with all of these features, then why am I considering this purchase if the first thing I do with it is try to position it in an area not too noticeable yet be able to use the remote control. Lets face it, the unit is ugly. To make it worse, it has a hideous green LCD. I know this might seem shallow but if I am spending over $800 I can afford to be. Apparently I am not the only one who feels this way. In the Sound and Vision report that Audio Request boasts about, they too fault the unit on its appearance. Has anyone seen the Lansonic unit? That looks good. A vibrant blue screen only emphasizes the high-tech nature of the unit. I would like to know if Audio Request is planning to change the LCD screen or at the very least provide a hard casing to cover the LCD screen. Lets face it, the screen is not only an eye sore but a moot feature. Its not like there are control buttons on the the face of the ARQ1 to navigate through playlists. The television monitor is the real display screen because it there that you can actually see what you are doing and what playlist you are shifting through. The small green LCD screen seems to be a half-assed attempt to add another feature to the units specs list. Either change it to facilitate an actual purpose in tasteful decor or just take it off.
</font>
No disrespect, but you have a simple option. Buy it today or wait for a product with the features you desire. If you don't like it.. simply don't buy it.

To me the LCD is a non issue. These devices are expensive, but it's pretty much a "big boy's game", either step to the plate or go elsewhere and find exactly what you want.

Gene
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2001, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

For the Price, The Audio request is a bargain. I can certainly overlook the "green screen". The looks are only a matter of opinion. McIntosh makes some Kick ass audio gear that I think is ugly. Only my opinion and we both
have a right to express it.
Try placing the Audio request in a bottom cabinet location and use a Xantech IR unit to control the operation. I don't think you have to do anything with the unit unless you are loading music through the CD. The biggest bargain of all is the music off the net. Think of the Thousands you have saved and the new artists you got to check out. The easy instant access and playlists are what everyone desires. If you don't think it is a bargain-Take a look at the Escient and Arrakis units. Top of the line in features and price. With the Escient, you get the nice control screen from the TV or monitor, but the speed is still dependant on the Changer. With the Arrakis, you get the screen and HD speed, but the unit currently does not support mp3 files-so storage is limited with large databases, unless you spend hundreds of dollars more for bigger HDs. If you have networked home, the Turtle Beach and Panja unit are real bargains. I hope to hear more opinions on all the units. That is the main reason I like AVS.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2001, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly!

I've loaded about 250 CD's in mine as well as a ton of music off the 'net. I can take those CD's down to my local music store and get 3-5 dollars each. Even if I only got $3.00 each, that completely covers my investment and I'm a happy camper.

Gene
post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2001, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Wait wait wait.... let me get this right...

Now I understand, since I sell Escient TuneBase, that these "whole home" toys are expensive... but let me get this right.

You charge another $1000 for a 30-gig upgrade on the hard drive? Do you realize that $1000 will buy 300+ gigs of hard drive space? Now you have made a product that I love, and want... and you sell it to people who are above average when it comes to computer knowledge... then you charge 6x what a hard drive costs on the street for a simple upgrade? Wow!

Please tell me that the ARQ-PRO gives me at least 3-4 zones of independent audio output so I can play 3 or 4 different songs in 3+ different places in the house... please?

Thanks!

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
post #6 of 10 Old 09-18-2001, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

No Dan

That's one zone.

1K per extra zone if I remember correctly.

Someone in Troy, NY has a nice product but they must be smoking something to overlook multizone at any sort of reasonable price.

Dave

OH! It sure would be nice for Request employees to register and identify themselves.

David Richardson

[This message has been edited by David Richardson (edited 09-19-2001).]
post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2001, 06:50 PM

Zachary,

How much does ReQuest plan to lower their prices give Escient launch of their new low priced FireBall product?
http://www.escientconvergence.com/fireball.htm
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2001, 05:33 AM

this is a tough problem. i VERY much want to move to an MP3 HDD device and get rid of all my CD's. but the ARQ is now too expensive and the compaq seems good, but too flawed. there are some good machines on the horizon, but none are out yet.. and they won't be cheap either.

i don't want to wait, but seems i must.. for the fireball or there's a kenwood and yamaha coming...

any advice?

------------------
-------------------
Mitsi 55907
Denon 2800/3801
Sony HD-100 STB
-------------------

-------------------
Mitsi 55907
Denon 3801
Sony HD-100 STB
DirectTV/HD-DVR
OTA
ROKU
-------------------
post #9 of 10 Old 09-24-2001, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

I still don't think that these units are too expensive for anyone. Have you looked at the cost of CD's lately? The storage device at $1500 to 2k is a bargain. Remember that these devices have to sort and play your music the way you want and do so in a easy-to-use interface.
The Lansonic DAS 950 is supporting multizone now too.
The Kenwood Entre' has a 20gB HD only and doesn't offer upgrades. $1500.00 . Nice interface to multizone the house with the Axcess units, but they are so ugly, yoiu will have to hide them in the closet.
Imerge is a nice multizone unit, but near the top in price.

Audio Request is still a bargain and right in there for the
competition. The HD upgrade price baffles me.

The Ipaq looks interesting, but after disassembling a Presario to find out how poorly designed it is and not to mention the replacement power supply cost ($110), I will pass on the iPAQ.

Pick one and have fun with it. Don't wait because of the price.

I need a girl whos name does not end in .jpg
post #10 of 10 Old 10-06-2001, 08:05 PM

Hi Zachary thanks for the link to the escient fireball, has anyone had experience with the tunebase? Any idea of prices.?
thequietman
Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page