Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by SGS
Oh yeah, this is a big one for me. Actually, it would really be the main reason for purchsing such a device. Any pause between VOB files during a movie would be annoying enough, that I think viewers would rather I get off my butt and put the disk in - defeating the whole point.

I guess I'll need to keep an eye on this as time goes on, and hope better support for this functionality arrives someday.

Thanks for the honest reply BrianV !!!!

I'll definitely move it up the list on the priority list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 AM

Remote Control Information

For those of you playing around with universal remotes, let me know how this works. I'm absolutely not saying it'll work, but it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work for you, please let me know which universal remote you're using:

http://64.182.122.206/remote_code.pdf
post #93 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

.ts files?
I'm curious if the LinkTheater will play TS files? It seems to play a variety of potentially hi-def files, but I haven't read anything thing about transport streams.

Quote:

Originally posted by BrianV
Nope, not right now!

What about VOB files with HD content? Some HD Tivo users have figured out how get files from the HD Tivo to the PC in VOB format. These files play fine with software DVD players like PowerDVD, HDTV PC cards like MYHD, and external devices like the Roku PhotoBridge and the AVeL LinkPlayer2. Will these files playback properly on the Buffalo unit?

Jay
post #94 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
SGS

If I read into the documentation a little, it seems like you can only use one video output at a time. Is this correct?

I currently have a Denon DVD player, that allows me to use the S-Video and component video out jacks at the same time. This allows me to hook it up to me Tv directly, and also to run the DVD signal to a modulator for the rest of the house. This has been a real crowd pleaser at home.

I suppose I could also do the same thing with a dual head video card on an HTPC.

Any chance this thing can do this as well, or is it one video output at a time only.

Thanks in advance.......
post #95 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Can the LT play AVIs ? I have alot of AVIs downloaded from my camcorder.
post #96 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Remote Control Information

For those of you playing around with universal remotes, let me know how this works...
http://64/182.122.206/remote_code.pdf

Unable to access. The server is timing out.
post #97 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:15 PM

There's a typo in Brian's link, here's a correction:

post #98 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jerndl
What about VOB files with HD content? Some HD Tivo users have figured out how get files from the HD Tivo to the PC in VOB format. These files play fine with software DVD players like PowerDVD, HDTV PC cards like MYHD, and external devices like the Roku PhotoBridge and the AVeL LinkPlayer2. Will these files playback properly on the Buffalo unit?

Jay

Well it will play VOB, if anyone can upload a HD VOB file to my ftp or something, I could test it out?
post #99 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SGS
If I read into the documentation a little, it seems like you can only use one video output at a time. Is this correct?

I currently have a Denon DVD player, that allows me to use the S-Video and component video out jacks at the same time. This allows me to hook it up to me Tv directly, and also to run the DVD signal to a modulator for the rest of the house. This has been a real crowd pleaser at home.

I suppose I could also do the same thing with a dual head video card on an HTPC.

Any chance this thing can do this as well, or is it one video output at a time only.

Thanks in advance.......

I'll have to check on the exact combos, but in some variations, multiple video outputs are available.

I think in Component NTSC, both Svideo and composite are available. Also, in default mode, both svideo and composite work. This is probably the deal breaker, but I'm rpetty sure in 480p, 720p, or 1080i mode, composite and s-video are disabled.
post #100 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ny888
Can the LT play AVIs ? I have alot of AVIs downloaded from my camcorder.

Yes it plays AVIs extremely well, it even upconverts them to HD if you're using an HD display. It will also play DivX and XVid if your AVI's happen to actually be one of those formats.
post #101 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zonegray
There's a typo in Brian's link, here's a correction:

Thanks, I modified the original post!!
post #102 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it will play VOB, if anyone can upload a HD VOB file to my ftp or something, I could test it out?

Several of us with the IODATA LinkPLayer2 repackaged TS or TP files into VOBs using HDTVtoMPEG2 Version 7 or using Videolan (VLC) so we could play HD streams before IODATA officially started supporting TS. The Sigma chipsets the same in both players so you probabably should be able to do the same with the LinkTheatre with no problems ...
post #103 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM

I'm now on my third week with the BLT. Still haven't used is as much as I had hoped, but here are few other observations/comments/questions:

Again, I am ecstatic about the picture quality on all content, especially 720p/1080i HD content. I am very happy with my purchase, and will most likely be getting a couple more for the other two TV's in the house.

Like other users on this thread, I also need a way to create/edit audio playlists on the fly, and I can't seem to make Windows Media Player playlists work. It is mentioned on page 31 of the manual, but there aren't any details.

I am still bummed about Buffalo killing the tuner support on the TeraStation NAS , because the ability to have the BLT deliver "live" HD content streamed from a centralized PVR (using the Terastation - not a HTPC) would make it a must have device in every household... and then Buffalo would probably get acquired by Cisco So, assuming the USB tuner support on the TeraStation is dead, is there a way for the BLT to be a "frontend" to a MythTV or WindowsMCE2k5 box? I don't know enough about the UPnP protocol to know if this kind of application would work... and I am not sure how the current remote controller would support it.
post #104 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ToadMazter
I'm now on my third week with the BLT. Still haven't used is as much as I had hoped, but here are few other observations/comments/questions:

Again, I am ecstatic about the picture quality on all content, especially 720p/1080i HD content. I am very happy with my purchase, and will most likely be getting a couple more for the other two TV's in the house.

Like other users on this thread, I also need a way to create/edit audio playlists on the fly, and I can't seem to make Windows Media Player playlists work. It is mentioned on page 31 of the manual, but there aren't any details.

I am still bummed about Buffalo killing the tuner support on the TeraStation NAS , because the ability to have the BLT deliver "live" HD content streamed from a centralized PVR (using the Terastation - not a HTPC) would make it a must have device in every household... and then Buffalo would probably get acquired by Cisco So, assuming the USB tuner support on the TeraStation is dead, is there a way for the BLT to be a "frontend" to a MythTV or WindowsMCE2k5 box? I don't know enough about the UPnP protocol to know if this kind of application would work... and I am not sure how the current remote controller would support it.

ToadMazter, no one said the USB tuner was dead for TeraStation, it is something we CAN do if the market demands it. Give it some time and read the press releases.

Cisco buying Buffalo is highly unlikely, Buffalo is a 1+ billion dollar internation corporation that's revenue generating. Cisco already bought Linksys for well less than that.
post #105 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 03:33 PM

Quote:

ToadMazter, no one said the USB tuner was dead for TeraStation, it is something we CAN do if the market demands it. Give it some time and read the press releases.

Patience is not one my best virtues, but I'll quit bugging you and will just go out and but one! And I'll keep my eyes on the press releases...

Quote:

Cisco buying Buffalo is highly unlikely, Buffalo is a 1+ billion dollar internation corporation that's revenue generating. Cisco already bought Linksys for well less than that.[/b]

Of course you know I was only kidding. Linksys has quickly become a great revenue stream for us, and I expect even greater things to come from it. I just wish Linksys had a TeraStation and a LinkTheatre so I could finally take advantage of the employee purchase program.
post #106 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM

how does it handle large numbers of music files?

i have 51,000, and other media players have lagged or frozen with such a large number.

however, they are organized in folders:

A
--artist folder
------album
------album

B
--artist folder
------album

etc...
post #107 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM

I have absolutely NO CLUE how it will handle 51,000 mp3s, I have 3,000 and honestly it could be a bit better. It takes about 20 seconds to queue up the entire 3,000 song playlist, I imagine it'll be exponentially higher with 51,000.

Once it did get started it was fine, I could skip songs without hesitation.

I used the PC Software for this as the LinkStation PCast Server doesn't do nested folder playback, just plays all the files inside a directory.
post #108 of 1583 Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Also, anyone who is using LinkStation with the LinkTheater, please PM me if you want to resolve the single file-playback issue.

I'm traveling on business the next three days but I'll be available periodically so I'll be able to respond to the PM's.
post #109 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I was following this product before it was released and kind of forgot about it...I'd just like to thank Brian for being a great resource on this forum.

I'm holding out getting one until the first firmware update and until my external 300G (NTFS formatted) USB drive is recognized and the 2 sec delay is gone from VOB playback. I would love to rip all my DVDs to the ext HD (which I've already done), hook the drive to the LT, and not have to put in a disc every time I want to watch a movie...and also not have to keep the PC turned on to stream the files to the LT. That is the ultimate in my book.
post #110 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 AM
MoG

This is a big one for me. I have my DVD's stored on a hard drive(s). ripped using DVD Decrypter in VOB format (not ISO/BIN).

I would definitely want to be able to play a DVD stored on a drive via LT and have it be the same experience as playing a physical DVD.

thx.

Quote:

Originally posted by SGS
Oh yeah, this is a big one for me. Actually, it would really be the main reason for purchsing such a device. Any pause between VOB files during a movie would be annoying enough, that I think viewers would rather I get off my butt and put the disk in - defeating the whole point.

I guess I'll need to keep an eye on this as time goes on, and hope better support for this functionality arrives someday.

Thanks for the honest reply BrianV !!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- just a click away
post #111 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by fhall1
I was following this product before it was released and kind of forgot about it...I'd just like to thank Brian for being a great resource on this forum.

I'm holding out getting one until the first firmware update and until my external 300G (NTFS formatted) USB drive is recognized and the 2 sec delay is gone from VOB playback. I would love to rip all my DVDs to the ext HD (which I've already done), hook the drive to the LT, and not have to put in a disc every time I want to watch a movie...and also not have to keep the PC turned on to stream the files to the LT. That is the ultimate in my book.

I think the only USB port in on the front of the device. Is there one in the back?

Also, I think the LT would recognize your external USB drive? The other issues (2 second delay and firmware update) hopefully will be resolved shortly. I'd also like to see support for DVD cover art, but that might be asking for too much.

Drew
post #112 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Originally posted by drew138
I think the only USB port in on the front of the device. Is there one in the back?

Also, I think the LT would recognize your external USB drive? The other issues (2 second delay and firmware update) hopefully will be resolved shortly. I'd also like to see support for DVD cover art, but that might be asking for too much.

Drew

According to ealier posts, it only recognizes the drive if it's formatted FAT16 or FAT32...I need it to handle NTFS
post #113 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted, but does anyone know when the first firmware upgrade is going to be released? I think I will wait until they work out a few of the problems before I purchase one of these.
post #114 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fhall1

Let me see what I can do about NTFS support.
post #115 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drew138

Drew

Only one port on the front. Currently it will not mount NTFS partitioned drives.
post #116 of 1583 Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chrixx
Sorry if this has already been posted, but does anyone know when the first firmware upgrade is going to be released? I think I will wait until they work out a few of the problems before I purchase one of these.

Likely this week or definitely by next week.

Bugs fixed:

-DRM support via WMC
-Photo resizing preset setting using LinkStation, USB, or CD/DVD drive
-Easier USB/CD/DVD File Navigation
-AOSS Wireless Bug Fixes
-I know I'm forgetting a few more

The other bugs have been addressed and will hopefully all come in future releases.
post #117 of 1583 Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM

The 2 second pause on VOB and the recognition of NTFS need to be put to the top of your list. These are huge deal breakers for many potential buyers.

A quick question for users who are playing VOBs. If you are ripping your DVD into one big file with DVD Shrink or DVD Decryptor instead of multiple one gig VOBs, I guess this avoids the 2 second pause. Right???
post #118 of 1583 Old 03-17-2005, 04:37 AM

Obviously, Brian knows better than I, but if the LT is a Linux-based device, then NTFS support might not be all that easy; is there a stable read/write Linux NTFS driver yet? It's long been a sore point.

Of course, you could use NTFS on a network drive, and stream over ethernet rather than via USB.
post #119 of 1583 Old 03-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by zonegray
Obviously, Brian knows better than I, but if the LT is a Linux-based device, then NTFS support might not be all that easy; is there a stable read/write Linux NTFS driver yet? It's long been a sore point.

Of course, you could use NTFS on a network drive, and stream over ethernet rather than via USB.

Agreed. For me this is not an issue since I plan on streaming over Ethernet.

Does anyone have any experience with playing XviD on this unit?

I am editting this because I see that someone already tried XviD on this unit, but was the DTS problem worked out?
post #120 of 1583 Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 AM

I received the LinkTheater yesterday and noticed a few problems that will hopefully be addressed in a firmware upgrade.

While playing a DVD I noticed that audio was not in sync with video. It was annoyingly off track by a half second or so. Also, the background for an interactive DVD menu failed to load and I only saw the icon on a black screen. This only happened once. On another interactive menu page, after clicking one of the selections the cursor sometimes would just move to the bottom of screen and not go into the content. Sometimes it would play the content and sometimes not. Could this be a bug in the DVD itself.

It did play ReplayTV MPG files with out problems. Is there way to skip commercials when playing a ReplayTV MPG on a LinkTheater?

How can I designate a different directory than My Documents / My Videos, My Music and My Pictures? I store my files on a different drive and different directories. Most of my videos are on a Linux machine. Is there a way to tell LinkTheater to look on a Linux server? Or can I SAMBA share that drive to Windows and have LinkTheater find the network drive?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page