Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1583 Old 01-14-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe D4 is a high-def video connector for the Japanese market.
post #3 of 1583 Old 01-14-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimre
I believe D4 is a high-def video connector for the Japanese market.

A search on google only returns Japanese sites, so no idea how much this will cost. Hopefully a V4 will turn into a DVI for us.

Cheers

Alan
post #4 of 1583 Old 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM

At Amazon.co.jp its 31,883 Yen or just a little over $300.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...251182-6036368
post #5 of 1583 Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 AM

We now seem to be getting a few machines capable of Component/DVI outputs and from a hardware perspective things are starting to look good. My problem is comparing the software. I download manuals and there is always something simple missing that puts me off.

I am sure that will inprove soon.

Alan
post #6 of 1583 Old 01-15-2005, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

This one does look good. It is also designed to work with the Terrastation. Not sure what that means, but this thing a 1000gig could be pretty powerful

I still think that 2006 is the year and that 2005 will get us really close.

Drew
post #7 of 1583 Old 01-16-2005, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The D4 is an analog connection. at least it is on my Yamaha DLP projector.
There are adapter s for component
post #8 of 1583 Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saintalan
...I download manuals and there is always something simple missing that puts me off.

I am sure that will inprove soon....

That's what I said a year & a half ago...
post #9 of 1583 Old 01-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
That's what I said a year & a half ago...

Great so SOON must be here
post #10 of 1583 Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if this player will support WMA Lossless audio?

edit: it seems this chip only supports pro and not lossless.

Also, since this player does not include a DVI/HDMI output, I'm assuming I won't be able to upconvert since I have a RPTV and not a LCD/DLP/PDP/LCOS display. According to the specs on the chip, only those types of displays will allow upconverting through component. That stinks!
post #11 of 1583 Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This player uses the same chipset and firmware base as the IODATA AveLinkPlayer2. Biggest difference is the wireless which Iodata is selling in Japan on a player with DVI also -- I expect the US version of the Buffalo won't have DVI either until some licensing issues are resolved..

Some of us with the LinkPlayer have been looking at the server software for the Buffalo and it is nearly identical to the server software for our Iodata boxes so I don't expect much in the way of differences except for Buffalo's wireless configuration utility.

The D4 connector comes with a D4 to component cable for 720p/1080i capable output.
post #12 of 1583 Old 01-24-2005, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Paul-

The D4 connector, which I'm not familiar with, will allow me to use the upconvert feature even though I'm not using the "required" type of display?
post #13 of 1583 Old 01-24-2005, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

On the IODATA we can currently upconvert to eith 720p or 1080i via the D4 to component cable (although IODATAs website says we can't). I would expect the Buffalo is the same but you will need a Buffalo owner to find out for sure.
post #14 of 1583 Old 01-31-2005, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I just received an email from tech support confirming support for WMA Lossless.

Nice!
post #15 of 1583 Old 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A device like this coming out in 2005 that still doesn't support WPA? Only WEP is listed.

Matt
post #16 of 1583 Old 02-20-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

A lot of devices unfortunantley are still hitting the market without WPA support.

Crazy.

Drew
post #17 of 1583 Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Usually these devices require a PC to have software running that streams the media to the device. On the Buffalo High Definition Wireless Media Player does anyone know where if even needed the software will run? I thought I heard that it can work directly with the Buffalo Link station with is just a NAS device.

Lupe
post #18 of 1583 Old 02-21-2005, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
All I can find is on the spec sheet "Integrated PCast module allows for easy playback from Buffalo's LinkStation Network Storage", without any explanation of exactly what that means. There's no posted manual online and when I google "Buffalo PCast" almost all of the sites that I get are in Japanese, or are just a PR containing that same blurb from their web page.

I-O Data sells a NAS that contains server software for their device which is what this might be.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19 of 1583 Old 02-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Buffalo is not using IOdata's LinkServer software. It's their own server. Like IOdata's, it is accessed on either a Windows PC or their NAS device that contains an embedded server. Both media players are UPnP 1.0 compatible I believe, so in reality any UPnP server will do.

Personally the Buffallo looks attractive to me because I've been thinking of going the NAS route for media server service and the LinkStation is more ubiquitous than the IOdata box. Easier to find on the used market, Ebay, etc. and also known to be hackable. I hope they provide the server to Revolution (Kuro) customers, because that may be the NAS I ultimately choose.

First EM8620L based unit to make it to the US market as far as I know. Are there others?
post #20 of 1583 Old 02-22-2005, 07:42 PM

This sounds great! I like the idea that the software can (let's hope) run on the NAS. No worries about the PC being on since the NAS will always be on.

Does it seem like this space is starting to mature? Where does everyone see the whole media server/streaming space going? I'm excited about the prospects.

Lupe
post #21 of 1583 Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 PM

the only problem will be when the Studios get in the act and prevent the upconversion, DVD copying, etc. If we cant do that anymore then , what's the point? to look at my pics in HD??
post #22 of 1583 Old 02-23-2005, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sanssome
Buffalo is not using IOdata's LinkServer software. It's their own server.

I worded that poorly--I didn't mean to say that it was I-O DATA's software (they way they seem to like to spell their name, BTW). What I meant was that the NAS might have some sort of built-in media server like (but not identical to) I-O DATA's NAS'.
Quote:

Both media players are UPnP 1.0 compatible I believe, so in reality any UPnP server will do.

What does it mean for them to be "UPnP compatible"? Is there some UPnP media server standard? I really think that these things both need actual streaming server support.

post #23 of 1583 Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by michaeltscott
What does it mean for them to be "UPnP compatible"? Is there some UPnP media server standard?

See UPnP Forum and UPnp MediaServer.

Microsoft has their own UPnP server called Windows Media Connect. I've played with it using a Govideo connected DVD player as the client and while it kind of worked I was less than overwhelmed. UPnP media servers seem like a good idea that's not quite ready for prime time.

Jay
post #24 of 1583 Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 AM

Funny, I've had my eye on the LinkTheater, they finally seem to be shipping, so I ordered one, expect delivery next week. But darn the information is sketchy... I look through the data sheet, and it's not even clear what inputs/outputs it has. It says that it'll output 720p & progressive scan, so it must have something other than NTSC outputs. But darned if I can find 'em listed anywhere. Even the back-panel picture on the datasheet is unreadable. Looks like it has one of VGA/DVI/HDMI, but I can't see which.

Well, we'll find out soon enough. Somebody has to try this crap out I guess. So far, all of these devices seem pretty lame, this one can't be any worse.
post #25 of 1583 Old 02-25-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Zonegray, keep us posted. Thanks for being the first to jump.

Drew
post #26 of 1583 Old 02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the data sheet, the LinkTheater can play .mpgs. Does this include raw ReplayTV .mpgs?
post #27 of 1583 Old 02-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Can someone a little more knowledgeable tell me the differnce between theV880N and the Buffalo Techonlogies PC-P3LWG/DVD player? They look to have almost the same features, the screen captures look like the software is similar. The Linktheater has shipped with sigma's EM8620L chipset (Is that better or worse than the v880n?) and and it is also UPnP 1.0, seems to come with a DVI cable yet the buffalo technologies player seems to be at a lower street price?

I am kind of new to this, I mean I have had a govideo d2730 and oritron networked dvd player for a long time now, but these seem not onlyto offer a much wider variety of file formats, but the fact they can stram VOB files and also output HD is a hugeplus. Now the question for me what is the better value between the two player? Can someone shed some light on this for me?
post #28 of 1583 Old 02-26-2005, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerndl
See UPnP Forum and UPnp MediaServer.

Microsoft has their own UPnP server called Windows Media Connect. I've played with it using a Govideo connected DVD player as the client and while it kind of worked I was less than overwhelmed. UPnP media servers seem like a good idea that's not quite ready for prime time.

UPnP is sweet concept--I'm surprised that I've never become at least peripherally aware of it. I'll have to look at it in closer detail.

I hate its use of XML, though. More precisely, I hate XML, with a bright hot passion that shall never grow dim, nor cool with the passage of time .

post #29 of 1583 Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 AM

Well, first observations based on a few minutes of playing when I should be working:

Outputs include component, S-Vid, RCA/NTSC, and DVI via a "D4" jack. A quick Google suggests that few if any vendors sell D4 connectors/adapters in the US. So that'll be interesting. Audio out is RCA or Coax or Optical.

Overall, few surprises. MPG playback of DVD-ready files recorded through Snapstream/PVR-250 are beautiful, and fast forward is actually usable. But the display letterboxed in both directions regardless of what aspect settings I use on the TV/Player. I guess there are a few more combinations to try, but it's pretty strange. But sound synch seems pretty good, at least on these files. I fast forwarded to the second inning of Game 7, and the crack of Damon's bat as he hit that grand slam was right on. I'll keep playing it over and over again, just to be sure.

I'll try some other file formats later, I mostly just use MPEG2's.

The software setup is fairly straightforward, I've used a Prismiq and a MediaMVP previously, and the Buffalo setup is similar in concept. Still haven't spent enough time with it to say much meaningful. Two observations: the "shuffle" function is apparently set on the server, I don't see any way to turn it on/off from the player.

And like all the players I've seen, it won't let you add songs to a "Now Playing" list. This is my pet peeve, because that's how I like to listen to MP3's, I go through my collection and queue up the stuff I'm in the mood for. Haven't yet found a player that allows this. It does play .m3u playlists.

I was surprised to see that it includes an Internet browser, it apparently works with your IE Favorites, so you can surf those with the remote. You can also type in text using the remote, if you're a masochist. I wonder if they could add USB keyboard support? Output on a 720p screen is pretty readable, so I was able to read Google news articles from several feet away.

Haven't hooked up wireless yet, because it doesn't have WPA, I'll have to set up a separate wireless network for it. Why the heck is it so difficult to support WPA?

That's all for now, as I spend more time with it, I'll try and update as appropriate. Generally pleased; it's about what I expected, which is a little less than what I want.
post #30 of 1583 Old 02-28-2005, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

D4 is an analog connector -- not digital -- a D4 to component adaptor is what you need (surprisingly they don't say that it is included).

This is basically the same as the IODATA AVLP2 Linkplayer with the addition of built in 802.11g.

Does the manual actually say it supports DVI?? Buffalo sure doesn't say that on their website anywhere.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page