Slingbox release date update? - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
Guys,

all the communication has been awesome. However, this thread is getting pretty long and difficult to follow.

what is the protocol here? do we somehow ask for a forum? let this thread continue?

we are planning to put up our own community forum on our site too...but i really like this one as well.

thoughts/suggestions on what we should do?

only have our own?
don't do our own at all?'
do our own that is maybe focused on more novice users and maybe get dedicated avs forum section (if avs guys are so kind to do so) for more advanced guys?
is there a way to easily bridge multiple forums?
My vote is to have a Slingbox Category under Digital Video and Audio Devices similar to the ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs category
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozilla
I have slingbox running great on my PC laptop and am now getting it up and running on Virtual PC 7.02 on my Dual 2GHZ Mac G5 Tower (2GB RAM) to see how good (or bad) it works.

Will let you know once i try it out.

Let us know how it goes with the Mac and Virtual PC. Personally, it's unusable for me. Even directly connected to the router, the frame rate is horribly slow. I'd try it over the internet, but I can't even get that enabled... :(
post #213 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
blake_k: You should start a new topic -- something like "Official Slingbox Support" or "Slingbox User Experience".

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #214 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellHills
My vote is to have a Slingbox Category under Digital Video and Audio Devices similar to the ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs category
I second that motion! A separate permanent category is warranted.
post #215 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I traveled about an hour each way to purchase a Slingbox this morning. I'm very excited about it because I travel extensively and I love my DTivo's.

After initial setup, I was running at about 1,000 kb on my desktop that's wired to the network. However, the video was scrambled. After a reboot, of the software, the video is gone and it's connecting at about 100kb.

I've tried accessing remotely (and I'm able to do so) but everything is the same.

Suggestions?

Ok, back where I started - around 1,000 kb and scrambled video.
post #216 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Ok, back where I started - around 1,000 kb and scrambled video.
SmackDaddy, can you elaborate? How is your DirecTivo and Slingbox setup? is there a TV connected to the setup as well? if so, what happens if you use the av pass thru's on the slingbox? do you see the same scrambled video on the TV screen?

can you play local or streamed from the web wmv files?

DWIN TS3 / Lexicon MC12 / ViewSonic VPW50 / HDTivo / Meda Bravo Music Server / home-built HTPC / DWIN TV3 Projector / Slingbox
post #217 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSfan
I second that motion! A separate permanent category is warranted.
How do we get this done?

DWIN TS3 / Lexicon MC12 / ViewSonic VPW50 / HDTivo / Meda Bravo Music Server / home-built HTPC / DWIN TV3 Projector / Slingbox
post #218 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:28 PM

Rebooted everything again, reconnected all cables - it's now working.
post #219 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:33 PM

strange. wonder if one of the cables wasn't fully inserted.

or, wait a sec, did you reboot your pc too? perhaps your graphics card driver was in a weird state or something.

keep us posted if you see it again. had never heard of or seen that before, so i bet you won't experience it again.

glad you are up and slingin'!

post #220 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
How do we get this done?
I sent an Email to the AVSForum administrator requesting a separate category for the Slingbox. Don't know if that will work but it is a start.
post #221 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:52 PM

I have to say that I love my Slingbox. It is a really awesome gadget. Unfortunately I had the hardest time setting it up. Mitigating this frustration was the incredible support of the technical support group at Sling Media. This is one of the most customer centric/friendly organizations I have ever come across. All the employees who are working hard to insure this company's success deserve a pat on the back and the acknowledgement that there hard work is appreciated.

i would offer one piece of advice. My router was located far away from the tv I hooked my slingbox up to. The first type of power adapter I purchased was from Belkin and they did not work. I recommend you stay away from them. I then purchased the Netgear brand and they work like a charm.

I recommend everybody go out and purchase a slingbox. It is truly a revolutionary piece of equipment.
post #222 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 03:57 PM

thanks ccohen...glad u got up and running :)

post #223 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 04:36 PM

So far I've been very happy with the Slingbox. I'm glad it has most of a remote. Setting up recordings wherever I am is very nice.

The only piece missing for me is the Tivo Ratio/Window button. For HD Tivo users with 16x9 displays, the HD Tivo needs to be set back to Panel for the Slingblade. This can be done in a menu, but a button would be nicer.

blake_k - I see much the remote control UI defined in SBAV.cfg, but don't see the IR codes. Did I miss them or are they in SBAV\\? Or are they in the firmware?
post #224 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 05:50 PM

guys,

well i got as far as i could go myself. i got a win2k machine, moved the app over, imported the reg settings, and tried to run.

got an error...app was looking for a GetGeoUserID parameter...looks like that is a function call for xp only.

so, all is certainly not lost, but we now need my dev team's help. unless they want to give me access to the source tree and let me hack away...which i seriously doubt ;-)

post #225 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 07:21 PM

I am very intrigued by this device, and plan on purchasing one in the near future...

I was doing a little googling earlier, and came across another product that seems to do virtually the same thing, but in a much bigger footspace. It is called Tv2Me.

Anyways, I was curious how you guys managed to do the same thing for 1/19 the price of their product. :)

I did get a chance to check out a remote stream on this and was very impressed.

Kudos on the product.
post #226 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 07:21 PM

I went out and got one today too. Awesome toy! I travel a lot, so I plan to use it from the hotel, or the airport.

I tried to connect my Philips TiVo DSR6000, but the remote would not work. I tried adjusting the cables, and the emiters, but no go.

I finally switched to a Hughes TiVo HDVR2, and it works fine.

One suggestion. List the TiVo boxes all together, and in multiple categories. I had a really hard time finding the DSR6000.
post #227 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Hi all, got my slingbox the first day it was available and absolutely love it. It compliments the TiVo nicely. The only problem I have come across was a stupid error on my part. Even though the A/V cable looked to be securly in it wasn't; When I noticed that one of the audio channels wasn't working I went and fiddled with the cord and then both channels stopped working. I stopped fiddling and replaced the cords and noticed that the cord "clicked" in. And viola that "click" fixed my problem.

Someone asked earlier about what type of market, outside of businessmen, there is for this product. I'm a college student, who lives in the dorms, and was planning to use it to watch recorded shows I like on channels that my college does not get and my parents house recieves; ie BBC America, HBO.
post #228 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One more wish...

Something I don't really expect to see happen, but I would love to see closed captioning. There are a lot of times where I'd like to be watching, but don't want to turn on any sounds or put on earphones. :)

regards,
-e

[ ReplayTV 5040 | SlingBox | Orb TV server | Handheld MCE 2005 ]
post #229 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Vowelumos,
your issues sounds pretty strange to me. do you know what bandwidth you are seeing for the stream? is this inside the lan? did you go in and muck with any advanced settings for the encoding parameters?

could this be due to the SSH tunnelling you are experimenting with? which sounds cool btw...i don't think anybody has tried that yet.

--Blake

No the SSH was seperate I did not try that till later.

To follow up though. On two other wireless machined I do not have the problem so I will look into what is causing it on that particular laptop and see what I can come up with. I was seeing 500-600Kbps on the wireless.

-V
post #230 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
well i got as far as i could go myself.
I love the idea of the SlingBox, I also happen to really dig the physical casing, but I can't purchase one until Win2K support is locked down. My work computer, currently desktop soon to be laptop, is Win2K. I really do want to purchase one... and it seems like you're probably pretty close to having a working W2K client. So keep us updated!

As an aside, I think limiting your dev/testing to SP4 is extremely reasonable. Then again I run SP4 so I could be biased. ;)

Ideally your app, or maybe a "Lite" subset, would be Java based so it could be easily ported to any major OS.

Thanks for your input on the forum, I know we appreciate it. If you have any energy or time left, there's a growing thread on the Tivo Community Forum (tivocommunity.com and linked from here, same site owner) with all sorts of pre-purchase technical questions...
post #231 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried it on a third machine, and I guess I forgot when I copied it on my second machine, but registering the .ax file is needed as well.

I also tried it on my primary desktop again, and again the player starts at the very top of the screen, under the task bar. Curious.

Regards,
-e

[ ReplayTV 5040 | SlingBox | Orb TV server | Handheld MCE 2005 ]
post #232 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I love the idea of the SlingBox, I also happen to really dig the physical casing, but I can't purchase one until Win2K support is locked down. My work computer, currently desktop soon to be laptop, is Win2K. I really do want to purchase one... and it seems like you're probably pretty close to having a working W2K client. So keep us updated!

As an aside, I think limiting your dev/testing to SP4 is extremely reasonable. Then again I run SP4 so I could be biased. ;)

Ideally your app, or maybe a "Lite" subset, would be Java based so it could be easily ported to any major OS.

Thanks for your input on the forum, I know we appreciate it. If you have any energy or time left, there's a growing thread on the Tivo Community Forum (tivocommunity.com and linked from here, same site owner) with all sorts of pre-purchase technical questions...
They are using some specialized codecs as well, a completely portable client would be somewhat difficult I would imagine.

-V
post #233 of 716 Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 PM

I have a survey type of question for firewall admins: Do most companies that you all work for that restrict unknown outgoing ports (like the Sling Box port 5001) from inside their firewalls, but allow port 80 also check that the port 80 TCP/IP headers are protocol compliant?

I know that my company doesn't allow ssh out - to prevent me from reverse ssh'ing back into my work Linux server from home. That is, I'm looking to see if I decided to buy a SlingBox and set it up at home to listen on port 80 and I try to connect to it from my work PC - what are the chances that this reconfiguration to port 80 might work to skirt the firewall restriction on port 5001 or any other "not well-known port"?

A security wonk said that this workaround would probably not succeed because he believes that most company firewalls would check that the port 80 headers were legit and thus block this workaround of running the SlingBox on port 80. I don't know what really upscale firewalls rules are - by default, do the majority of firewalls that allow port 80 outbounds also check for legitimate protocol packets by default when you enable port 80 outbound or not?

Is there some way to do an easy check like use telnet or netcat to test it:

telnet <home router IP address> 80

-or-

telnet <home router IP address> 5001

with netcat listening on port 5001 or port 80 on a PC at home. If the telnet from the work PC connected to the home PC running netcat listening on port 80/5001 - would that be conclusive proof so I could buy the SlingBox and KNOW that it would work?

Thanks.
post #234 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 12:37 AM

It really depends on your companies firewalls. There are also ways to tunnel over SSL that are very difficult to block. They are all slightly more cumbersome to set up than SSH but if you dig around you should be able to find something .

I am at a different company every few weeks and I would say certainly less than half are actually inspecting packets.

If the company allows ANY outgoing traffic at all, even if it is over a secure proxy, you can tunnel anything (TCP based).

There is one caveat just because you can do something it does not mean you should and if your company has any type of network based intrusion detection system lengthy SSL connections (multiple hours) will set it off. (However if you are using an actual SSL tunnel it may not lead to anything).

However if just going over port 80 works, than I would do that. If they are not doing packet inspection, they are not doing Intrusion detection or much of anything beyond port filtering and you will be fine.

-V
post #235 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowelumos
No the SSH was seperate I did not try that till later.

To follow up though. On two other wireless machined I do not have the problem so I will look into what is causing it on that particular laptop and see what I can come up with. I was seeing 500-600Kbps on the wireless.

Got it straightened out. It was a driver issue.

Both the Cat 5.4 and 5.6 versions of the Omega Drivers seem to result in that problem. Standard Dell drivers and hand modded Catalyst 5.6 drivers work fine.

To summarize anyone using a ATI mobility 9000 (maybe others) and using Omega Drivers that are experiencing video freezes whenever they use a remote button and essentially no video updates at all in control mode, you might want to try non Omega drivers.

-V
post #236 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin99
I tried it on a third machine, and I guess I forgot when I copied it on my second machine, but registering the .ax file is needed as well.

I also tried it on my primary desktop again, and again the player starts at the very top of the screen, under the task bar. Curious.

Regards,
-e
didn't try...couldn't get past this other issue. but my vp of software is working on getting me something later this evening removing this XP-only function call...stay tuned!

post #237 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Got it straightened out. It was a driver issue.

Both the Cat 5.4 and 5.6 versions of the Omega Drivers seem to result in that problem. Standard Dell drivers and hand modded Catalyst 5.6 drivers work fine.

To summarize anyone using a ATI mobility 9000 (maybe others) and using Omega Drivers that are experiencing video freezes whenever they use a remote button and essentially no video updates at all in control mode, you might want to try non Omega drivers.
this is interesting. can you explain what Omega drivers are? i have never heard of them? i want to get some specific info so we can make this a knowledge base article.

thx,
Blake

post #238 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
It really depends on your companies firewalls. There are also ways to tunnel over SSL that are very difficult to block. They are all slightly more cumbersome to set up than SSH but if you dig around you should be able to find something .

I am at a different company every few weeks and I would say certainly less than half are actually inspecting packets.

If the company allows ANY outgoing traffic at all, even if it is over a secure proxy, you can tunnel anything (TCP based).

There is one caveat just because you can do something it does not mean you should and if your company has any type of network based intrusion detection system lengthy SSL connections (multiple hours) will set it off. (However if you are using an actual SSL tunnel it may not lead to anything).

However if just going over port 80 works, than I would do that. If they are not doing packet inspection, they are not doing Intrusion detection or much of anything beyond port filtering and you will be fine.

i can tell you that our beta users have used it inside of corporations such as Microsoft, Intel, Cisco, Texas Instruments, etc.

post #239 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsulu
I have a survey type of question for firewall admins: Do most companies that you all work for that restrict unknown outgoing ports (like the Sling Box port 5001) from inside their firewalls, but allow port 80 also check that the port 80 TCP/IP headers are protocol compliant?
... If the telnet from the work PC connected to the home PC running netcat listening on port 80/5001 - would that be conclusive proof so I could buy the SlingBox and KNOW that it would work?
one thing we can / should do is to set up a slingbox (connected to non-copyrighted content of course) or an equivalent app/server for you and others to test such compatibility.

sound like a good idea?

post #240 of 716 Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 AM

Quote:
this is interesting. can you explain what Omega drivers are? i have never heard of them? i want to get some specific info so we can make this a knowledge base article.

thx,
Blake
Blake,

The Omega Drivers are a set of ATI video drivers that have some configuration changes(No code changes) to enhance performance when gaming. They are fairly common among laptop "gamers" because laptop manfucatures are very slow or just do not update their video drivers and the Omega drivers happen to be installable on almost any piece of ATI video hardware since the Radeon 128.

For whatever reason something in his configuration appears to be causing the video to freeze whenever a remote command is issued. I veriefied the driver issue on a second machine (This one is a mobility 7500 instead of 9000). In both cases switching to a standard ATI catalyst driver (Almost any version) seems to correct the problem.

Omegas site is http://www.omegadrivers.net/ if you want more information. (Please note the previous link is not being recommended to anyone who actually wants to be able to control the menus on their system :))

Thanks!

-V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page