Slingbox: Feature Requests - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"The box seems to max out at 800Kbps"
I get rates just over 1000Kbps, but averages in the 900s.

hjackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
I'm using the Slingbox on a 2.13Ghz Pentium M Dell XPS 2 laptop. That definitely doesn't have a power issue. The 3.2Ghz Piv box here at the office isn't the best but it too shouldn't have an issue. I'm going to go buy another box and test it. Could be a defective ethernet controller or something intermittant.

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Does anyone know where I could get additional IR cables for the Slingbox? Or better yet a cable that has 4 IR blaster heads instead of 2?

I currently have one head of the IR cable controlling my ReplayTV, while the second controls the Satellite receiver. This works great and I can switch between the two without problems.

That said I bought a Sima SVS-4 Audio/Video Automatic Component Selector (thanks to another thread here on AVS), and I'd like to be able to control my DVD and my (modded) Xbox.

Anyone know if I can get such a cable at Radio Shack? What's the model? I'm good with a soldering iron so I don't mind hacking two cables together if needed.

I'm in San Mateo, California, if anyone knows of any local shops.

Control 4 devices with one Slingbox, check out: http://lazybastard.ehuna.org/archives/000139.html

Old 07-22-2005, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehuna
Does anyone know where I could get additional IR cables for the Slingbox?
Whatever your intention, be aware that it seems *most* IR emitters are 3.5mm. Thanks to almost useless Sling Media tech support on this matter through both phone and email (and yes I can easily substantiate that remark) I determined that the Slingbox receptor takes a 2.5mm (or 3/32 inch) connector. Therefore, all one needs to do is find the standard IR emitter one wishes (for example, one of these: http://www.smarthome.com/8172s.html) and then use this 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter from Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...D327&hp=search.

I just hooked everything up and it works just fine. I needed to get rid of the hideous Sling-supplied IR emitter because it was bulky, its adhesive was horrible, and it covered the entire ReplayTV IR receiving window making it difficult to control the ReplayTV with its own remote. The above fixed the issue for me.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhargr03
[...] and then use this 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter from Radio Shack [...]
Thanks mhargr03, that's very helpful. Quick question: if I buy two IR transmitters can I hook them up with a "double" 1/8" to 3/32" mono adapter? Do they exist and would it work?

Control 4 devices with one Slingbox, check out: http://lazybastard.ehuna.org/archives/000139.html
Old 07-23-2005, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good question...I didn't see a double 1/8" in to a single 3/32" out, but they have some double adapters for other sizes so I may have missed it or it may be available from another source. As to whether it will work or not...I couldn't answer that.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson
"The box seems to max out at 800Kbps"
I get rates just over 1000Kbps, but averages in the 900s.

hjackson
Hey hjackson and others: if you are interested, the public beta of the SlingPlayer goes up to 1400Kbps now...

http://www.slingmedia.com/updates.php4

DWIN TS3 / Lexicon MC12 / ViewSonic VPW50 / HDTivo / Meda Bravo Music Server / home-built HTPC / DWIN TV3 Projector / Slingbox
Old 07-23-2005, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanebear
Well, I've got the beta and it does help on the bandwidth but I seem to run into a hardware limitation in that I CANNOT get more than 800Kbps out of the box no matter what I do. I called support and they pretty much confirmed what I thought... it's a hardware limitation and the thing cannot spit out data faster than that. It's a shame because with lighter compression for local use the picture could truly be excellent. Also, what's the High-Res support about?? THAT looks tasty.

Hey kanebear,

couple things:

1) how is your slingbox hooked up? wired ethernet to your router? powerline? wireless bridge?
2) how about your client pc? 802.11b/g/a or ethernet?
3) with the beta, i routinely get 1300-1400Kbps over ethernet. and i think i get typically 800-1100Kbps on my wireless 8011.b network (yes, 802.11b).
4) regarding your out-of-home limitations of 400Kbps, i think you may be right regarding tcp/ip stack...not sure, but it is a hunch...we are currently digging in and optimizing the tcp stack, so we will know soon if there is more performance we can squeeze out there..

cheers,
blake

DWIN TS3 / Lexicon MC12 / ViewSonic VPW50 / HDTivo / Meda Bravo Music Server / home-built HTPC / DWIN TV3 Projector / Slingbox
Old 07-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_k
Hey hjackson and others: if you are interested, the public beta of the SlingPlayer goes up to 1400Kbps now...
Blake, I have not seen an increase in the streaming rate after installing the beta. It's still around 800 kbps even on a gigabit ethernet wired connection. I was attributing that to the speed of my computer, a 1.2 GHz Thinkpad. Does that sound right?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa
Blake, I have not seen an increase in the streaming rate after installing the beta. It's still around 800 kbps even on a gigabit ethernet wired connection. I was attributing that to the speed of my computer, a 1.2 GHz Thinkpad. Does that sound right?

Hey Grampa,
i am sitting here right now on a 1.8GHz P4M thinkpad and streaming at 1475Kbps on 100bT.

is your 1.2GHz a P4 or a P3?

the SlingPlayer takes up pretty low CPU usage. Why don't you check by bringing up the Task Manager and looking at the Processes tab...SlingPlayer.exe is the Process to look at...i would be surprised if it ever gets to 20%.

So, in other words, especially if it is a P4, you really should be getting higher bit rates...Some of it depends on content type you are watching, but i get 1400Kbps at a relatively static tivo menu screen.

what happens if you turn Lebowski/SlingStream off and go into Manual mode and set the bitrate manually to 1400Kbps?

Old 07-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

It is a Thinkpad X40. The System Properties/General tab shows the processor as a 1200 MHz Pentium M (M is for "mobile" -- don't know how that corresponds to P4 or P3). It then goes on to specify "598 MHz, .99 GB of RAM." I'm not sure what the 598 MHz refers to unless it is the speed of the RAM. However, the System Information utility shows the Processor as "X86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~598 MHz." Funny, I'm positive this machine was always sold as having a 1.2 GHz processor. It was considered IBM's best ultra-lightweight machine when it came out.

You are right about the SlingPlayer's CPU usage: it rarely goes over 20%.

The rate does depend somewhat on what's playing, but even with static content, it stays around 750 - 900 kbps. The speed using a 1.0 Gbps wired connection is only slightly better (say, 50 kbps) than using an 11 Mbps 802.11b wireless connection.

Setting the bitrate manually does not improve it, but does make the video less smoothe.

When I have time, I'll try installing the SlingPlayer on a different computer to see what happens. Also, I just remembered that I have a new router -- a D-Link GamerLounge DGL-4100 -- which purports to have some powerful QOS settings. Maybe I'll try tweaking those.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa
It is a Thinkpad X40. The System Properties/General tab shows the processor as a 1200 MHz Pentium M (M is for "mobile" -- don't know how that corresponds to P4 or P3). It then goes on to specify "598 MHz, .99 GB of RAM." I'm not sure what the 598 MHz refers to unless it is the speed of the RAM. However, the System Information utility shows the Processor as "X86 Family 6 Model 9 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~598 MHz." Funny, I'm positive this machine was always sold as having a 1.2 GHz processor. It was considered IBM's best ultra-lightweight machine when it came out.

You are right about the SlingPlayer's CPU usage: it rarely goes over 20%.

The rate does depend somewhat on what's playing, but even with static content, it stays around 750 - 900 kbps. The speed using a 1.0 Gbps wired connection is only slightly better (say, 50 kbps) than using an 11 Mbps 802.11b wireless connection.

Setting the bitrate manually does not improve it, but does make the video less smoothe.

When I have time, I'll try installing the SlingPlayer on a different computer to see what happens. Also, I just remembered that I have a new router -- a D-Link GamerLounge DGL-4100 -- which purports to have some powerful QOS settings. Maybe I'll try tweaking those.

The 598MHz designates that your pc is running at that speed (all that battery saving / performance stuff...your pc rarely runs at the 1.2Ghz unless you turn off all that stuff).

Pentium M does = P4, so that is def not the prob.

Confirming: you do have the newer firmware from the beta installed right? (i think it is 1.0.13)...

also, yeah, mess with the gamer lounge...that could possibly be it. it could be throttling back your performance.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

The router QOS settings did not help. It occurs to me that the Slingbox may be connected to my router at 100 Mbps, not 1.0 Gbps, but that should be plenty fast enough. The SlingPlayer is 1.0.3.89 BETA. So that probably leaves the processor speed as the culprit. I'm running plugged in, not on the battery, so I thought it would be at full performance, but I'll check it out. I'll also install SlingPlayer on a faster computer, but that will have to wait a few days, as I've got to turn my attention elsewhere.

Edit: I turned off automatic CPU management, and got the CPU speed up to a true 1.2 GHz. However, it did not affect the streaming rate. I'll try a different computer. I should mention, however, that the picture is still quite good even at 800 kbps.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:14 PM

I can't seem to get above 750-880 either. I have a T41, 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM. I'm running on 802.11b. Software on 1.0.3.89, and I've upgraded the firmware to 1.0.13. I tried setting the options to manual and 1400, manual 900, and I even tried turning off the Internet sharing. My router is a Netgear MR814, and my card is a Netgear WPM511.

Some additional info:
I checked my serial number, and it starts with 505, so I'm outside the range.

I'm testing from home, so the Slingbox is connected via ethernet to the same wireless router as my laptop.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am 100% sure this is not a slingbox issue.
btw KenW: if you had one of those "506 boxes" (note: not all of them are bad by any stretch), then the slingbox would be hanging or video would be totally garbled. you would definitely know there was an issue.

Maybe your hub/switch is just not performing very well...maybe ensure the router has latest/greatest firmware?

On Ethernet especially, you should definitely be able to get up to 1400Kbps when in Lebowski/SlingStream mode.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Blaje_K, thanks for the notice about the Beta. I downloaded it and now get streams that peak just over 1500 Kbps on my home LAN! There is definitely less digitization overall (this is most notable in the background images) Actually, when viewed in a window on my 32 inch LCD, the picture looks like first generation DSS satellite (which is very good IMHO). When expanded to full screen, the digitization is much more noticeable (mind you, I sit close to my screen because it's my PC moniter) but still a good improvement over the original. If you can get the fullscreen resolution as good as the windowed resolution, it will be perfect... OK OK, it will be very very good...

hjackson
Old 07-24-2005, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Killer :-)
We'll continue to make it better as well...thanks for the feedback!

Old 07-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Blake, I installed SlingPlayer on a different, faster, wired computer, but it's still achieving only around 800 kbps. Possibly it's the router, although I did adjust the QOS to give Sling top priority. The connection is through a switch (in addition to the router), but I don't see how that could mattter.

There are several things I could try (e.g., bypassing the switch). I'm going to be unavailable for the next couple of weeks, however, so I will have to tinker with this later.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:08 AM

I tried a few more things yesterday.
1) I tried a wired connection. I see 8-1000 often, and rarely a peak of 1500. (So it's not the router).
2) I tried installing on another wireless computer, and I still see a peak of 8-900. No peak above 900. Typical is 4-500.

I just provided the serial info, so you could rule it out. I don't quite get the 800-1100Kbps Blake saw on his wireless 8011.b network. Although, it is possible my router doesn't provide the same thruput as Blake's.

I should mention, the picture quality is fine, I just want the best performance I can get from my local LAN. I have been using my laptop as a portable TV.

I see some signs from the beta that Sling Media is working on improved local LAN performance. That would be terrific for me!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hey KenW,
have you let it run for awhile (several minutes)? i assume you have, just checkin.
we are continuing to make improvements for even higher quality.
it is interesting that you did get to 1500Kbps. so at least we know its possible. i think you told us before (my apologizes), but what router are you using? do you have the latest firmware on that router?

cheers,
Blake

Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 AM

I am using a Linksys WRT54GS router, have had no issues within the lan or remotely but I have never gone over 700KB within the lan even with a "wired" pc. My wireless laptop usually averages between 400-500 KB. If others are using this router what firmware are you running? Could the firmware be preventing me from getting larger numbers? All functions that rely on the router (VPN, gaming device, etc) are running properly and I'm reluctant to upgrade the firmware, I think I'm on version 3.7xx.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
. . . what router are you using? do you have the latest firmware on that router?
Yes, I let it run for about 20 minutes each way.

My router is a Netgear MR814, and it has the latest GA release of the firmware.
Version: 4.13
Release Date: August 20, 2003

They have more current beta versions, but I generally avoid those. :rolleyes:

I suspect the performance is as good as it will get with that router, but I'm always open to suggestions! :D
Old 07-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I am 100% sure this is not a slingbox issue.
I have to confirm that: on a wired connection I'm getting 1300-1400 Kbps on the latest beta and firmware.

On my wireless 54g network I'm getting mostly 500 Kbps, with peaks of 700-800.

Old 07-25-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Hey kanebear,

couple things:

1) how is your slingbox hooked up? wired ethernet to your router? powerline? wireless bridge?
2) how about your client pc? 802.11b/g/a or ethernet?
3) with the beta, i routinely get 1300-1400Kbps over ethernet. and i think i get typically 800-1100Kbps on my wireless 8011.b network (yes, 802.11b).
4) regarding your out-of-home limitations of 400Kbps, i think you may be right regarding tcp/ip stack...not sure, but it is a hunch...we are currently digging in and optimizing the tcp stack, so we will know soon if there is more performance we can squeeze out there..

cheers,
blake
The one at home is via a Dlink 10/100 16 port switch newly purchased. I previously had a linksys 8 port 10/100 switch, no difference. It is hard wired and lives in the closet with it's very own SA3250 cable box and the cable modem.

The client PC is over 802.11G using a Netgear Prosafe access point running the latest firmware available. At 54Mbps indicated I get 700-800Kbps on the beta Slingplayer. The Slingbox is running 1.0.13 (beta firmware).

Now, I just purchased a SECOND slingbox here at the office. Running the beta and beta firmware i'm getting rates of 900-1530 Kbps as appropriate for the content. I'd tested this before but with the older Slingplayer and firmware. It may be my Slingbox at home. Here at the office the Slingplayer to PC LAN is via a TON of switches... a 3COM 8 port Baseline something or other 100Mbps, a 3COM 3300XM 100Mbps and a D-link 10/100 switch at my desk. Haven't tried it over wireless yet, that's next. I'll also try over the 'Net from home and see how it does. We have 6Mbps symmetrical so there's no reason I shouldn't see similar rates from home.

UPDATE : Wireless maxes out at 800Kbps here locally on four different computers whether it be 802.11b or g. Laptops were various speeds with various onboard adapters. What I don't understand is why the massive speed loss wireless v. wired.

SECOND UPDATE : Office Slingbox maxes out at 500Kbps from home. It's gotta be the TCP/IP stack on the Slingbox IMO especially as an FTP transfer from the office scoots along at 240KBps over a VPN (1920Kbps). The Slingbox over that same VPN hits 320Kbps.

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM

I have a slingbox and have both pc and mac in my house and would love the opportunity to beta test the upcoming mac software.
How do i get in touch with someone to discuss this ?
Thanks
scott
Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Scott,

When the beta version becomes available, we'll inform users through various community sites as well as our own Web site. You are welcome to PM or email me as well!

Best,
Jeremy
Old 07-26-2005, 09:54 PM

One feature that has been requested is the ability to kick a guest user off the Slingbox. I figured out a way to do it - as long as you are willing to open up two ports for your Slingbox to use.

Since you will want this to work from behind most corporate firewalls you should consider using port 443 for your primary access and something like 21 for the secondary guest user access. You can use any ports you want and if the guests are directly connected to the Internet sticking with the default 5001 port for them makes sense.

You won't want to give the guest your finder ID since the finder service will automatically map the SlingPlayer to the port you assign. Since this method of kicking a user off of the Slingbox is achieved by changing the port, you won't want to let them automatically switch to it - or they will reconnect before you can get the stream started!

Instead you will want to have the guest use the Direct Connect feature utilizing a Dynamic DNS service like DYNdns or No-IP and the port you have assigned - 21 in this example.

The SlingPlayer has been configured for "guest" access with port 21.

Now, if you launch the SlingPlayer and it says that it is already connected you can kick the person off by taking the following actions:

Open the Slingplayer directory, select your Slingbox's entry and click Edit Properties. Select Network Configuration. You will need to enter the Administrator password to proceed if you originally connected with the Guest password.

Since the Slingbox is in use you won't see the stream - but you CAN reconfigure the Slingbox. Go through the setup, select MANUAL, leave all of the network settings the same EXCEPT change the port to the other port you have already opened in your firewall/router for the Slingbox to use - 443 in this example.

Complete the wizard - it will eventually test the setting - and reset the Slingbox. This is what knocks the current guest user off.

Since you have previously opened this port up on your router and the network configuration wizard validates the remote access (and updates the Finder Service with your Slingbox's current IP and port configuration) you will be able to connect back to the system with the finder service or with the direct connection - if you manually toggle the port.

This is not as simple as a built-in feature but it's not too hard to implement if you want the ability to allow a guest to have access but still have the ability to seize control of the Slingbox back
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

very tricky DTSFan! :cool:

Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 AM

Enjoying Slingbox but my key requests would be:
>Easy changing of input (like a lot of others)
>Better audio (is 48k as high quality as tv or could it go higher?). Get tired of tinny sound after a while (I have high-end earphones so not a laptop speaker issue)
>Better interoperability with PC firewalls (not having to have it disabled to work). Might be a training issue
>Our company uses an autoconfig script to assign a proxy server. Rather than proxy through server name/port would be nice to be able to put in a url address (like in IE...actually would be great to leverage IE proxy settings)
>Defense against stateful packet inspection (for networks that block streaming) (not sure if this is possible).
>Browser-based client
Old 07-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Blake_K,
First off, I love ya! Cough..Cough.. Oops I meant SlingBox!! :D Reading all these post one by one, I saw people requesting for the pocketpc version of slingmedia player but I have not heard you answered anything yet.. I know ther is one in the works and going to release it in the coming month.. However, I would really love to be your Beta tester as I have supposely the newest phone on the block a Samsung SCH-I730 with wireless broadband and Windows Mobile 2003 SE. That way I can help out and test on that plateform of speed and quality.. I would hate to see you guys release something that may or may not support the WM2K3SE and the broadband.. there are tons of user waiting for the release of the Pocket PC version of Slingmedia Player before they will get their hands on the slingbox.. I on the other hand was the first one at Bestbuy to grab the slingbox as I saw them cut open the brown shipping box. :D alright enough BS about how I love the slingbox, but can I be your beta tester on the pocketpc version? Pretty Pretty Please? :D :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement