Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4195 Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dana C...

Just doing some thinking about the SX1000U... How is it connected to the MG-35? I assume by USB. What about the network connections? Do you have an ethernet cable connected to the MG-35 --AS WELL AS-- to the SX1000U???

I think the slow network transfer speeds make it less worthwhile to make the MG-35 a NAS box. But I *am* interested in using the SX1000U to make any number of my external USB drives NAS boxes...and then stream media to the MG-35! According to the Silex website, the box can share up to 15 devices through a USB hub! Do the drives show up as SMB shares?

Also, there seems to be a couple other boxes available. I wonder what the difference is between the 1000U and the 2000U2. I see there is also a wireless USB device server as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4195 Old 09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Can any of you guys that have this box answer a few questions for me?

What are the output options on the MG35?
Does it upscale 480i/p Dvds to 1080i/720p?

Lastly, does it play HD TS files?

I checked the mfg's website and couldn't find any definitive answers.

Thanks.

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
post #63 of 4195 Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM

The M-35 is only connected to the Silex USB port.
The Silex is connected to router via wall plugged powerline adapter.

No- I haven't tried an ethernet cable connected to the MG-35 --AS WELL AS-- to the SX1000U.

Note:I did try using a HUB splitter to connect the M-35 Ethernet port with the Silex, but that was a disaster.

You are correct, there are several USB Device Servers on the market. Lantronix, and Keyspan also make a pretty good USB Device Server.

But, you can probably use an inexpensive USB Print Server too because I think it does the same thing the other devices do.

The Silex SX1000U device can support up to 15 usb devices that's another reason I wanted to try it. The Keyspan and the Lantronix only support 4 USB devices.

The SX1000U is only 1:1, where as the 2000U2 is 1:n- better. I was going to get SX5000U2, but I just wanted to test the Silex first which I like.

I'm still hoping that the new NAS firmware update will work. I think what they ment by NAS local, was that it will show up as a local NAS drive like my NetDisk drives do. That would be perfect if it does.

I haven't run into any issues with SMB share problems.
post #64 of 4195 Old 09-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi-guy View Post

What are the output options on the MG35?
Does it upscale 480i/p Dvds to 1080i/720p?

The MG-35 definitely upscales 480i to 720p or 1080i over component video (analog). And the upscaled output looks pretty good on my 720p front projector (even 1080i) without any audio-sync issues like a lot of upscaling DVD players seem to experience. As far as .ts files go, I have no personal experience, although I understand that .ts files are just MPEG 2 files in a wrapper. Hopefully someone else can comment on this!
post #65 of 4195 Old 09-28-2005, 08:50 PM

Has anyone tried this with a wireless bridge?

I was thinking of plugging a wireless bridge in the ethernet port then have it listen to an access point on which the PC is connected.

I am trying to think of ways to make this cool product work in my setup. I really like the concept.

I was going to wait for the 5000 but it isnt coming until January so I think I might spring for this one.

thx
wz
post #66 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmale View Post

Has anyone tried this with a wireless bridge?

I was thinking of plugging a wireless bridge in the ethernet port then have it listen to an access point on which the PC is connected.

I am trying to think of ways to make this cool product work in my setup. I really like the concept.

I was going to wait for the 5000 but it isnt coming until January so I think I might spring for this one.

thx
wz

Yeah. I bridged through a SONOS system. It didn't work (stream) well at all. With either firmware.
post #67 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana C View Post

The SX1000U is only 1:1, where as the 2000U2 is 1:n- better. I was going to get SX5000U2, but I just wanted to test the Silex first which I like.

Not sure what you mean by 1:1 and 1:n. Can you elaborate? From the website description they look identical and sound identical. At first glance I thought maybe the 1000 is USB 1.1 and the 2000 is USB 2.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And is the 5000 the same thing but with a built in USB hub and some fancy web management interface?

You would think that 802.11g would have enough bandwidth to stream adequately, but I'm not too optimistic about it. At any rate, I think the MG-35 needs to have a larger streaming buffer. Maybe they can do this in firmware.
post #68 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the reply Greg, actually I dont want to stream the video but use the wireless to upload the videos to the hard drive.

I just placed an order for the mg-35 last night from shop4tech (they have another 10% off coupon going). I cant wait!

wz
post #69 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM

Does it play AVI files? What kind HD does it use such as SATA , Ultra ATA etc? Is there anybody who compared Mg-35 with TVIX M3000u?

Quote:
Arcam AVR300; Axiom M22ti; Axiom QS4; B&W VM1; Definitive ProSub60; XBMC;Yammy S1500 Universal DVD Player
post #70 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Greg, actually I dont want to stream the video but use the wireless to upload the videos to the hard drive.

In that case, you should have no problems other than, perhaps, speed.

greg
post #71 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emedwhat View Post

Does it play AVI files? What kind HD does it use such as SATA , Ultra ATA etc? Is there anybody who compared Mg-35 with TVIX M3000u?

I've had the Tvix for nearly a year. Let's see...

The DVD image quality seems comparable. They will both resample (up-convert) to 720p or 1080i.

With the latest Tvix firmware (and maybe even before that...), I have had occasional glitches in DVD playback where it just freezes during playback. I quick FF-Play sequence resolves it.

I can't play ISOs with the MG-35, 'cause I can't stream with the 1.4.0 firmware, so I am converting ISOs to files...

If you want to stream, the UI is a bit more involved with the MG-35. You need to browse through several screens to get to yout network location. It would be nice if you could specify a few specific locations to look in (like the SONOS does), but you have to drill down through the entire network. This can take some time, especially the initial network discovery phase. Also, if you leave the unit browsing the network, it times out and goes back to the main (startup) screen, so you have to start all over again.

The remote on the MG-35 is a bit flakey. It helps to be very close to straight on with the box. IOW, you have to point the remote right at the box AND the box should be pointed right at the remote... This flakiness, coupled with some poor and inconsistent UI feedback can be frustrating at times.

My process is this: I rip DVDs at 1x directly to my Terastation. While this is happening, I can view at one DVD stream on the MG-35 and play two FLAC streams on the SONOS boxes with no dropouts anywhere.

This was my objective with this unit and it seems to have met it. I have another one on the way and am anxious to see how adding a second DVD stream affects things...

greg
post #72 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emedwhat View Post

Does it play AVI files? What kind HD does it use such as SATA , Ultra ATA etc?

I don't know what sort of disk it takes, 'cause I don't have one in there.

As for AVI files, well it plays some and not others. It has played every one I have gotten via ********** - that is TV shows and such.

Many of the ones I had sitting in misc. folders that have come from websites and so on have not played. Most have not, in fact. Most MPGs have. WMVs have not. Probably no surprises there.

Can anyone recommend a diagnostic program that will give details on what style of content is in an AVI?

Thanks,
greg
post #73 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I dont want to stream the video but use the wireless to upload the videos to the hard drive.

Currently and until firmware allowing NAS comes out, the only way to copy data to the internal hard drive is via the USB 2.0 interface.
post #74 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that the remote can be a little finicky. For those that have a Harmony 880, I think my configuration for the MG-35 should be available in the database now under computer/media center. The Harmony 880 is awesome and my wife loves it too, which is the highest recommendation.
post #75 of 4195 Old 09-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post

Currently and until firmware allowing NAS comes out, the only way to copy data to the internal hard drive is via the USB 2.0 interface.

Right. I guess that would be a problem, too.
post #76 of 4195 Old 09-30-2005, 06:54 AM

Quote:

I just placed an order for the mg-35 last night from shop4tech (they have another 10% off coupon going). I cant wait!

wz

Can you share the 10% off coupon code?

-Nevermind - I found it - it is "FALL10".

Just ordered the MG-35 form Shop4tech using this coupon code for $179 shipped.
post #77 of 4195 Old 09-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi-guy View Post

I'm 99% sure it does not, since I'm 99% sure it's based on the Sigma Designs EM8511, which can't decode HDTV. I'll be 100% sure when I pick mine up tonight from UPS will-call (woo-hoo!).

The MG-350HD was supposed to be the HD version (haven't heard much about it lately)
post #78 of 4195 Old 09-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhue View Post

I'm 99% sure it does not, since I'm 99% sure it's based on the Sigma Designs EM8511, which can't decode HDTV. I'll be 100% sure when I pick mine up tonight from UPS will-call (woo-hoo!).

Confirmed that it has a Sigma Designs EM8511 in it. I saw it.

Confirmed that it won't play HD program streams as expected (my software saves program streams, but I'm sure it won't play an HD transport stream either). I got some interesting flashes on the screen when I tried.
post #79 of 4195 Old 10-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

jhue,

Thanks for the confirmation on HD streams. I guess folks will have to wait for the MG-350HD or the TViX 5000 for that. How do you like the box so far?
post #80 of 4195 Old 10-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post

Also, there seems to be a couple other boxes available. I wonder what the difference is between the 1000U and the 2000U2. I see there is also a wireless USB device server as well.

So I've been doing a little more digging and have discovered that the Silex 1000U product is actually USB 1.1 which maxes out at 12Mbps. Apparently the term "USB 2.0 Full Speed" is marketing-ease for USB 1.1. The Silex 2000U2 is actually USB 2.0 "High Speed" and maxes out at 480Mbps. The Silex 5000 product is USB 2.0 High Speed (480Mbps) as well.

Also, the Keyspan USB Server is only 12MBps (USB 1.1) and I can't find the Lantronix product.

Hope this helps.
post #81 of 4195 Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Installed the mediagate 35 last night with internal 160gb hd. Ripped a few vids, all was well. Upgraded firmware and playback was very hinky, did the downgrade and playback is running smooth again. Ripped using decrypter to iso directly to hd. So I'm thinking the new firmware just isn't ready yet to handle network or internal iso's.
post #82 of 4195 Old 10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting... I'll have to keep that 1.3.2 file handy. Hehe.
post #83 of 4195 Old 10-01-2005, 10:07 PM
KAS

I have been using the Medigate MG-35 for about a week now and it does most of the things I was hoping it would. My main use is for storing many of our DVDs (mostly the movies are kids watch) for easy access. I installed a 400gb HDD and upgraded to version 1.4 of the software when I got it. I haven't done much streaming with it yet, but I was able to access my music on my computer and it played fine (although I was not able to access my NSLU2s but I think that may be due to the current settings on those - I will need to spend more time with that). Video playback from the HDD (both avi files (DivX) and ifo/vob files) has been pretty good in my tests for the past week (although it has locked up 2-3 times while playing DVD rips but not enough yet for me to go back to version 1.3.2).

As a previous poster, I also have a Harmony 880 and was able to map the buttons over very easily (the Harmony database had a few incorrect functions but they were easy to fix). Anyway, in my short time in using this device, I have come up with a few minor improvements that I hope will be added in future firmware updates:

1. From the Setup screen, I hope they will add an exit icon so I could exit out without needing to press the setup button on the remote (nothing else seems to enable exiting from this screen). This would mostly help when using the buttons on the device itself.

2. It should be an easy modification to allow for viewing of a picture (i.e. cover art) while browsing the internal HDD for Movies or Music. It could be set to display by default, the picture that is contained in a particular subfolder. For example, if I have a DVD rip set up like this: (Finding Nemo (folder) --> VIDEO_TS (folder) --> ifo & vob files) - when I scroll over the Main folder (Finding Nemo in this example) it could display a picture that is contained in that folder (the cover art which I can download from the internet). This could work similar to the Picture preview option when viewing pictures, but just looking in the folder that is highlighted rather than the highlighted picture itself.

3. Also, somewhat related to 2 above, it would be nice if the software could automatically play the first ifo file once a folder with a VIDEO_TS subfolder is selected. So, in the example above, if I selected the Finding Nemo folder, the software would be able to know that it contains a VIDEO_TS folder and would therefore automatically play the ifo file within the VIDEO_TS folder. This would save the additional steps of having to navigate all the way to the individual ifo file.

4. While playing a DVD, it would be nice if the number buttons would allow for direct chapter access. For example if, while watching a DVD, I want to go to Chapter 8 of a particular movie, I would just push 8 or 08 and it would go to that chapter. I know this can be done with the Time Search button, but this would make it easier to navigate.

5. Another great feature would be to allow the assignment of default folders for each of the 3 media types (or 4 if you count playlists). For example, if I select Pictures, I could assign a particular folder (i.e. "Pictures") to be the default folder and it would start from that directory.

6. I think they may already be working on this as mentioned in prior posts, but it would be a great if I could transfer files to the internal HDD via the network connection and not need it to be connected via USB to my computer.

7. Finally, I might be missing something, but how do I set the date & time that is displayed at the bottom of the screen? The Time it shows is not correct (even when hooked up to my network).

That is it for now. Like I said, the player works well for most of my needs, but adding these features would really make it a terrific product.
post #84 of 4195 Old 10-02-2005, 04:38 PM
mka

I also just bought the MG-35 and am happy with it so far but I second Kent's comments above. In particular, his point #3 with regard to the default start of the .IFO file.

I have stayed with version 1.3.2 because of problems mentioned earlier in this thread. I used DVD Decrypter to copy DVDs to my hard drive and from there to the Infrant ReadyNAS. The MG-35 seems to have no problems detecting my NAS devices (I also have a Buffalo Linkstation) and playing the .IFO files. It also took no time to set up and use.

At some point I would like it to play .ISO files, but unless I run into unexpected problems the MG-35 seems to be an adequate video server until more sophisticated servers come out (hopefully, next year and with HD support and support for more audio formats - I don't use the MG-35 for audio because I converted everything to .flac files which it doesn't support and I use the Roku Soundbridge and the Buffalo Linkstation running Slimserver for that).

Max
post #85 of 4195 Old 10-02-2005, 05:03 PM

Just curious - have any of you guys tried the Roku PhotoBridge? I just got mine last week and it works beautifully for streaming my ripped DVDs over my network. It's also HD compatible - although since I don't have my HDTV yet I haven't tried but I know from cruising the Roku forums that it up converts.

Just wondering if you felt there was an advantage to the MG-35 that I overlooked.
post #86 of 4195 Old 10-02-2005, 06:12 PM

For some reason, I thought that firmware 1.4.0 was needed to play them, however, I find that my 1.3.2 box plays them just fine.

Also, I find that the up-sampling really sorta sucks. I played around a bit with various combinations of 480/720/1080 and my Dell fpw-24xx display and I find that leaving the MG-35 at 480p and having the display do the upsampling results in a much beter picture.

FYI...

Greg
post #87 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby View Post

Just curious - have any of you guys tried the Roku PhotoBridge? I just got mine last week and it works beautifully for streaming my ripped DVDs over my network. It's also HD compatible - although since I don't have my HDTV yet I haven't tried but I know from cruising the Roku forums that it up converts.

Just wondering if you felt there was an advantage to the MG-35 that I overlooked.

Can the PhotoBridge play IFO and ISO files with full DVD functionality, including menu navigation?
The MG-35 can.
post #88 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 AM

Just setup my MG-35 last night. Running 1.32 plays ISO's with no problem.

I had several AVI's on the hard drive and it would not play any of them. Does anyone know what kind of AVI it will play? Could someone post spec of AVI's you did get it to play?

Rather pleased with the ISO capability. Now if they would release some firmware so I can copy from my PC to the hard drive over the net I'll be set.

I think this may work out ok for my kids in the car as well. Just have a list of movies in the root and my 6 year old can read them and select the one she wants to play. Thumbnails would have been perfect.

wz
post #89 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM
mka

I'm running my MG-35 with version 1.3.2 but ISO files only partially work for me. The video plays fine but I only get sound at the top level. My ISO files were created with the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7.5. When the file starts it shows some icons (chapters). Entering a chapter stops all sound but plays the video. What sort of ISO files are you guys playing? Also when the chapter ends the DVD would return to the top menu but I believe the MG-35 just stops.
post #90 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Just reporting back on the Terastation -- MG-35 setup.... I was all ready to buy one of those Silex USB Device Servers (thanks to Dana C for doing the footwork) in order to make all my external USB drives show up as NAS on the MG-35. But on a lark, I remembered that my Terastation has 4 USB ports on it. So I plugged in one of my USB drives and voila! It shows up as an additional shared drive on the MG-35 just like that! Plug and play.

So now I can continue to rip DVD's for time-shifting fairuse purposes to my portable USB drives on any computer, and then just connect them to the Terastationwhen I want to watch movies and stream the DVDs to the MG-35! This saves me the time-consuming step of copying the ripped DVD over to the Terastation after ripping to a local disk. (Ripping directly to the Terastation would be time consuming as well since network transfers are so slow).

Magnificent so far!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page