Mediagate MG-35 -- new firmware available - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To reply to mka's questions about ISO's.

I use dvd decrypter in ISO mode. No problems seen with chapters, or sound. Actually I never had a problem with the ISO's it makes.

Try a ISO with dvd decrypter.

Quite pleased that the MG-35 plays ISO's so well. My big issue with the MG-35 so far is finding a easy way to upload files to the hard drive and playing AVI's.

wz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried playing shoutcast radio through MG-35? I had Dlink DSM-320 that played shoutcast url just fine but could not play ifo's. So, I got this MG-35. It plays DVD ifo's fine, but does not play shoutcast urls. Theoretically, it should, since it is connected to the internet, and plays mp3s.

Thanks for any info.

Bharat
post #93 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

Can the PhotoBridge play IFO and ISO files with full DVD functionality, including menu navigation?
The MG-35 can.

It can play IFO files, but not ISO and it can't play either with menu navigation although the latter is coming once Roku upgrades the firmware.

What is the benefit to using ISO files as opposed to IFO?
post #94 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What is the benefit to using ISO files as opposed to IFO?

One file. No searching through the directory to find the ifo file (which the system should do automatically for you but it doesn't).

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #95 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 09:03 PM
mka

WZ, the ISO files that I have are not from DVDs but files generated from home videos by the Roxio program (this is the intermediate stage that the Roxio program can be made to store on the hard drive before one burns it to a DVD). DVD decrypter does not come into the picture. There must not be a standard for ISO files. I have some of these files on my hard drive and would have liked to read them directly. Of course, I could use DVD decryptor on the DVD that was generated from them.
post #96 of 4195 Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 PM

I just got my Mediagate-35 tonight.

Overall, I'm mostly pleased. It does audio, and video (both Xvid and IFO right out of the box. I haven't tried ISO yet) over a wired lan reasonably well. Setup was a breeze, but probably because there's not a lot of setup options.

I will say I have the following negative things to share:
- Screen setup seems to be prettly simplistic.
- Always seems to say 4:3 on the 'file info' screen.
- I've seen some stuttering on a wired network. Its usually not bad, though.
- The video scaler isn't the greatest.
- I think the colors are too saturated.

I like it, but I'm not sure yet if I like it enough to buy one for every TV in the house. I might wait for the 350, or some of the other boxes coming out.

What?! Me worry?
post #97 of 4195 Old 10-04-2005, 05:15 PM

I ordered one this morning from shop4tech. Thanks Dana C, Music Fanatic, Jwtseng for good posts and Drakel for the 10% off coupon.
post #98 of 4195 Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 PM

With the lastest firmware, can I just plug the external harddrive to the USB port for additional storage?
Thanks
post #99 of 4195 Old 10-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

onstar,

I don't think this will work. The USB port on the MG-35 is "slave" only, meaning that you can plug it into a host computer and the MG-35 will be recognized as an external hard drive. The MG-35 cannot function as "host" and recognize attached USB drives.

This USB slave/host idea is separate and different from the client/server networking function of the MG-35. Right now, the MG-35 serves only as a client, like when you stream videos from a network server. The upcoming firmware update that was talked about in earlier posts will enable the MG-35 to function more like a server in the sense that it will show up on the network as a shared disk.

The current unavailability of this updated firmware and my plethora of external USB hard drives are the reasons why I am interested in the USB device servers that Dana C brought up. These devices would allow me to expand my networked storage simply by making my external USB hard drives show up as network shares.

I hope this makes sense to you. Hope you'll be happy with your purchase. I am.
post #100 of 4195 Old 10-04-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks JwtSeng
post #101 of 4195 Old 10-04-2005, 06:07 PM

Hi all,

MG-35 FW: both 1.3.2 and 1.4.0
Tvix FW: 1.7.2

So I watched an episode of Battlestar Galactica last night. This is an avi file that I acquired, somehow. It is 368,402KB in size, so it seems to be of a 'standard' compression ratio for this type of source. Anyway, I noticed right off that there is a defect in the rendering by the MG-35. The image stutters on a regular interval. I would guess that interval to be around 4-5Hz. It was quite annoying.

I played the same file on the tvix and there was no stuttering.

I was streaming the file to the MG-35, but I can be sure that that was not the cause. I can stream DVDs to this thing just fine and the rate of this file is, on average, probably about 1/4 of that. Also, the effect can be seen on the black screen during the program intro where the descriptive text fades in. The words appear in discretely increasing intensity at this same frequency. The Tvix does not show this either.

This was the case with both firmware versions.

Now that we have a few more owners, can someone duplicate this?

Greg
post #102 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 12:56 AM

Just received one of these units in the UK yesterday. It is sold as a Freecom MediaPlayer 35. I haven't had a chance to put in a hard drive and have just used the network play feature.

With firmware 1.3.2, it does play DVD ISO files with full menu navigation. I was having a lot of network stuttering problems so put in a 3COM 10/100 switch and now everything plays back fine.

Now my problem is to remove the annoying warnings and copyright notices from the DVD rips and then recreate an ISO file.

Don.
post #103 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 12:36 PM

I just received my unit today. Hooked it up to my network, it saw my Media Center DVD shares and now I have access to all of my DVD .iso's and they play flawlessly -- an absolutely fantastic unit thus far!
post #104 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 PM

A bit of a follow-up:

By default the unit had version 1.32 firmware installed.
The first few ISOs I tried were less than 6 gigs and the unit played those flawlessly but choked on any ISOs > 6 gigs. [Actually, turns out that random files less < 5 gigs works but not all files]

I upgraded to version 1.4 of the firmware and found it flaky at best.
It would load my ISOs (regardless of size) but randomly rebooted.
I tried loading IFOs but it choked on those as well

I then downgraded to 1.32, fired up DVD Shrink and converted my ISO and pointed it to the IFO file -- not a single problem in playback -- smooth as silk.

So... what to do? Convert my 50 or so ISOs to IFO/VOBs or wait for an update to the firmware?
post #105 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post

A bit of a follow-up:

So... what to do? Convert my 50 or so ISOs to IFO/VOBs or wait for an update to the firmware?

The spontaneous reboot problem has nothing to do with ISOs. It happens with any number of AVIs and also DVDs via IFO/VOB.

This is with 1.4.0 -- 1.3.2 doesn't reboot at all.

greg
post #106 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakel View Post

Can you share the 10% off coupon code?

-Nevermind - I found it - it is "FALL10".

Just ordered the MG-35 form Shop4tech using this coupon code for $179 shipped.

This one has expired. Is there a new one?

jc
post #107 of 4195 Old 10-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Really curious about the reported problems with 1.4.0, especially the spontaneous reboot. Don't know what you guys are doing differently, but I've never experienced this flakiness with 1.4.0. At any rate, I will look forward to the next firmware release as eagerly as you guys are. I'm sure that general stability will be improved with maybe some new features!
post #108 of 4195 Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 PM

Edited: I received it today.
post #109 of 4195 Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 PM

I just received my MG-35 today and overall I'm happy. It plays DVD Rips off my terastation with no problem but I am seeing one issue. On my winxp SP1 server I have server firewire drives shared. The MG35 sees the shares fine and it sees the sub folder names that hold the DVD rips, but once I open that folder the VIDEO_TS folders are not seen and there are lots of garbage characters displayed where the folder info usually is at the bottom of the screen. Interestingly DVD's that are on the same box but on a local hard disk play back fine, so it definitley seems related to the firewire drives.

Has anyone seen this and even better found a workaround?
thanks,
-Matt
post #110 of 4195 Old 10-08-2005, 02:09 AM

I received the Mediagate MG-35 yesterday but did not have a chance to play with it until today. The device did not display correctly in the first place, and I thought it was a defective unit. Later I found out that I did not use it correctly and did not have any problems then. It is a little confuse when I used it the first time.

Overall, I am very happy with Mediagate MG-35. It does everything I want. It plays dvd.iso with full menu navigation, and does an excellent job with up-scaling to 1080i through the component output. The 1080i picture quality is better than my Sony DVP-CX875P 301 dvds megachanger. I think the picture quality is as good as Directv HD HBO. This is a very big dealt to me because my HDTV only has component inputs. I really recommend Mediagate MG-35 to people have old HDTV like me. I plan to add a 500GB harddrive to MG-35 and rip my kids' movies so I can play them in my minivan.
post #111 of 4195 Old 10-08-2005, 04:45 PM
mka

Here are some more observations about the MG-35 (I am still running version 1.3.2 firmware):

I had problems playing home DVDs created with the Roxio DVD authoring program and also with my old standalone Philips recorder. The video played fine but the sound was mostly missing. It turns out that by setting the audio mode of the MG-35 to analog it now works fine. However, I will always have to remember to reset the audio mode to encoded digital when playing commercial DVDs if I want 5.1 sound. (I am using an optical audio link to my B&K receiver.) Since ordinary DVD players handle all my DVDs just fine, I don't know why the MG-35 cannot automatically the different audio modes itself.

Overall though I am happy with the MG-35.
post #112 of 4195 Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM

How do you check your firmware?
post #113 of 4195 Old 10-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

onstar...

I think the firmware version shows up on the "Setup" screen...somewhere in one of the corners.

I'm definitely not one of the most observant people here. I don't notice anything dramatically different in performance between the two firmware versions that we have. The most annoying thing about 1.3.2 and the only real difference that I can tell is that it doesn't sort my folders in alphabetical order like 1.4.0 does. Also the file directories wrap around back to the beginning when you reach the end of the file list and vice versa.
post #114 of 4195 Old 10-10-2005, 12:51 AM

Thanks Jwtseng. My firmware was 1.3.2. I upgraded it to 1.4.0 and have a problem playing iso file with analog audio. I played the same iso file fine with encoded digital setting (both optical and coax output). When I set audio to analog output, the video is stuterring and then hang. It look like the MG-35 cannot decode the audio to analog. I flashed the firmware back to 1.3.2 and the same iso file played fine with all setting.
post #115 of 4195 Old 10-12-2005, 07:26 AM

I am interested in purchasing this device, but I have one critical quesiton.
Can I access the contents of the internal hard drive from my PC's on the network?
Basically, is the internal drive treated as a NAS?

Any after-market hacks that allow this?
post #116 of 4195 Old 10-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not that familiar with Windoze networking, but as long as you can set up a shared folder on your PC that can be accessed via the Windoze simple file sharing it will be seen by the MG-35. Share your whole hard drive volume if you like.
post #117 of 4195 Old 10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Qs. for those with the MG-35.

Just got one of these boxes...

What resolution are you outputing at?
Do you find that the upscaling is so so?

Lastly, the video button on the remote, exactly what does it do?

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
post #118 of 4195 Old 10-12-2005, 09:46 PM

jwtseng,
I think you mis-understand.
From my PC, can I access the contents of what is on the internal HD of the Media device?

Example:
I am on my PC, I load windows media player and want to play the music stored on the internal HD of the media device using the network.

AKA, can it be a "Shared" folder my Windows box can see?
post #119 of 4195 Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSurfinMurf View Post

jwtseng,
I think you mis-understand.
From my PC, can I access the contents of what is on the internal HD of the Media device?

Example:
I am on my PC, I load windows media player and want to play the music stored on the internal HD of the media device using the network.

AKA, can it be a "Shared" folder my Windows box can see?

Sorry...you're right. I misunderstood your question. What you want is for the MG-35 to function as NAS and show up as a shared volume on a network. This functionality is not currently available but is reportedly in the works for a future firmware update. I'm not really going to hold my breath.
post #120 of 4195 Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post

Sorry...you're right. I misunderstood your question. What you want is for the MG-35 to function as NAS and show up as a shared volume on a network. This functionality is not currently available but is reportedly in the works for a future firmware update. I'm not really going to hold my breath.

I sure hope it is. Quite honestly, I'm finding the playing iso over the network not nearly as useful as it could be. I get stuttering on many of my movies.

I'll fiddle with the networking soon and isolate the MG35 and my server, but right now I've tried:
-Futurama (horrible stuttering during the opening credits for each episode)
-Alladin (very noticeable distortion in the audio)

A few others have done fine, or were helped by ripping out languages I don't need, but I really want something that just works, rather than fiddling with it.

What?! Me worry?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page