John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for that John, internal hd iso's running much better than 1.4.0, still no joy on networked iso's(choppy a\\v). Avi's seem to be just fine either internal or networked. I'll experiment with other types later today.

Thanks, Bill
Old 10-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emedwhat View Post

I recieved my MG-35 today.
4. I played photos shot by 5 Mega camera and bigger than 1 MB almost 1,5 MB, I did not have any problem.

Interesting, I will have to give it another go at my end. Am upgrading to 1.4.2 firmware so will also try my XVid-encoded AVIs again.

Anyone have any idea how to start going about hacking the OS? I would like to know if it would ever be possible to refer it to appropriate startup folders for movies, photos etc. That would mean non-volatile storage which I'm not sure is available.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM

I am really interested in this MG-35 but want to get some thoughts on what I want to achieve and opinions from those using it already.

My goal is to create a digital library on HDD in the Video_TS format. I have tried DivX and am unhappy with the quality achieved. Plus I would rather trade off the higher speed of ripping to Video_TS with larger file size than that of hi quality compression for DivX with long rip time.

To start with I would add a HDD to the MG-35:
1.What is the max HDD size I can install using NTFS.
2.The MG-35 uses an IDE hook up not SATA, correct?
3.Can I network directly to the MG-35 and add files to the HDD via my desktop computer running Win XP Pro?
4.Down the road I would like to add a BL Tera Station (NAS) for more holding capacity. Will the MG-35 recognize the content on the internal HDD and the Content on the NAS at the same time? I ask this because I like the idea of pulling the MG-35 out for road trips in the SUV.
5.Can you organize content in separate Category Folders titled the type of movies inside, like Children's or Action?

In regards to Video_TS files:
1.What is the better format to use with the MG-35, ISO or IFO?
2.Will the MG-35 recognize full menu options when included in the format or am I limited to movie only?

I read complaints of the on screen interface:
1.Will it be easier for my wife to navigate the on screen interface to play a movie over digging out a DVD, and all the processes to get it to play? Let me say she didn't understand my want for Tivo until I installed it and put the remote in her hand. She couldn't live without it now.
2.What about an age for a child to use it on their own. Am I going to have to wait until they are in 6th grade or a genius?

Noise Factor:
1.Will this be as silent as the HDD inside can operate at? Or will I be listening to a fan like my gaming computer?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:02 PM

Most of your questions (90%) are answered earlier in this thread, but I will answer them any way.
1. Not sure, I think up to 500GB (biggest IDE hard drive at the mean time). I am using a Seagate 300GB.
2. Correct, IDE.
3. No. But you can connect MG-35 to computer using USB cable and use it as an USB external hard drive to add contents.
4. Yes. I use MG-35 in my mini-van with a power converter sometimes.
5. Yes.

In regards to Video_TS file
1. IMO, ISO is better.
2. Full menu options. Just like you play the real DVD.

I can't answer the other questions because they are more in opinions than facts and people see them differently.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDuck View Post

1.Will it be easier for my wife to navigate the on screen interface to play a movie over digging out a DVD, and all the processes to get it to play? Let me say she didn't understand my want for Tivo until I installed it and put the remote in her hand. She couldn't live without it now.
2.What about an age for a child to use it on their own. Am I going to have to wait until they are in 6th grade or a genius?

If your wife can use a TiVo, she can use the MG-35. It's very similar. It gives you a list of movies in alphabetical order. (Long file names are supported.) You just use the arrow up/down keys to pick the movie and select it to play. You can put the movies into folders if you like. My 6 and 7 year old kids have no problem with this.

John
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiDuck

Noise Factor:
1.Will this be as silent as the HDD inside can operate at? Or will I be listening to a fan like my gaming computer?

On screen interface is not difficult to use, the problem is it does not look colorful and nice.

Since MG-35 does not have a fan, it is really silent.

Quote:
Arcam AVR300; Axiom M22ti; Axiom QS4; B&W VM1; Definitive ProSub60; XBMC;Yammy S1500 Universal DVD Player
Old 10-30-2005, 05:21 PM

I'm gonna state my problem again and try to be more specific. I don't think I was last time.

I have the mg-35 and my audio gets out of sync when I have it in digital output mode. It happens to DVD .ISO files and xvid/divx .AVI files with AC3 audio. I am playing them off the hard drive. I have a svideo cable from the mg-35 to the TV and I've tried both an optical cable and digital coaxial cable from the mg-35 into the receiver. When I'm playing say an .ISO and I skip ahead to another chapter, the video plays right away, but there is maybe a 1 to 2 second pause before the audio starts.

So I guess I'm not sure if it's the reciever or if the mg-35 just has problems outputing digital audio. I've tried firmware 1.3.2, 1.4.0, and 1.4.2 and I get the same problem with any of them. Oh, and I also tried interleaving the file like skymatrix suggested.

Anyways, I'm sorry to ask the same thing again, I'm just hoping if I am more specific I could get some better answers and this is the only forum I've found that's discussing the mg-35. So thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emedwhat View Post

On screen interface is not difficult to use, the problem is it does not look colorful and nice.

Since MG-35 does not have a fan, it is really silent.

The on-screen interface is relatively straighforward IF you are using a localhard drive, and take the time to set up folders and files using short informative names.

If you are accessing files on a server, then your wife will need to know about UNC paths for at least the top level of navigation. I guess if you rename your PCs you can make this relatively user friendly. Microsoft Windows gives PCs very strange names by default.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 AM

alibaba... Have you tried using DVDShrink to Re-process the ISO/DVD files. Other members have said that they had success by doing this. I don't use it myself so I can't help you on the specifics of using it, but others may be able to help you. My problem with the av sync was specific to v1.4.0 and now 1.4.2. All other prior versions worked fine for me, until I did the re-interleaving with VirtualDub, as I mentioned previously in the thread. I was always getting an audio delay of about half a second whenever I tried to FF or REW the avi file. After re-interleaving the file, I don't have any further problems.

Your problem appears to be different. You might want to try using some different programs to create the ISO files or DivX/XViD files. Most of my DivX files now contain multi-channel audio streams using the original dts (with a secondary mp3 stream) or ac3 audio streams. They work beautifully on both my MG-25, MG-35 and my TViX. Also, I haven't had any problems with ISO or DVD vob file playback. I use DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD2 (together with AnyDVD) to create the ISO files.

BUT... I am ONLY playing files through my 10/100 wired network. I don't have a hard drive in my MG-35, as I play the files via my network from either my TViX (via USB2), my MG-25s, or from my external hard drives connected to my computers scattered around the house. In all I have quite a few locations on the network I can source the files from. The only problem I got was from my Repotec NAS which is so slow as to cause stuttering on file playback. Playing from everything else including my Buffalo LinkStation NAS works fine.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. The DVD .ISO files were ripped using DVD decrypter. The divx/xvid were downloaded. The sound stays in sync when I'm using analog ouput.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:39 AM

I am comtemplating going with the MG-35 or Photobridge. Most of the discussion here is Video Streaming/Playing which answers my questions. The only answer that I havent seen is what about the video output quality of Photos MG-35 vs PhotoBridge?

Thanks..

Will..
Old 11-02-2005, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymatrix View Post

I use DVD Decrypter and CloneDVD2 (together with AnyDVD) to create the ISO files.

BUT... I am ONLY playing files through my 10/100 wired network.

Are you playing ISOs? Or DVIXs? (your post seemed a little unclear).

Have you tried aladdin or any of the Futurama intros? I'm wondering if its my setup or not.

(FWIW, I tried a 'crossover cable' between the server and the MG35 and that didn't seem to help much)

What?! Me worry?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:06 AM

Can someone who has an MG-35 recommend a good seller and price? I've searched around without much look (google).

Thanks in advance.

Bill
Old 11-03-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussSchultz View Post

Are you playing ISOs? Or DVIXs? (your post seemed a little unclear).

Have you tried aladdin or any of the Futurama intros? I'm wondering if its my setup or not.

(FWIW, I tried a 'crossover cable' between the server and the MG35 and that didn't seem to help much)

RussSchultz... I am playing mainly DivX encoded avi files that contain AC3 and dts soundtracks, at a video encoded bitrate of 1500kbps. These play very well. I haven't tried any of those Futurama intros, etc, that you mentioned, but my video library is now quite large, and all of my videos seem to play well.

I also occasionally play ISO files, but only when I am too impatient to wait while I downconvert to a DivX file. Once again, I don't have any stuttering on playback. The (speed) quality of any of your network components (such as switches, hubs, network cards) is obviously very important to get smooth playback through the network. Any weak link in the network will affect video playback quality.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:05 AM

I bought mine at PCmicrostore (the spam filter is blocking links from me due to lack of post history). It was $289.99 for a 300GB. I like it a lot, just wish the hacker community would adopt it as a project because it could be sooooo much better....
Old 11-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Hi guys

Goal: to dvd decrypt my DVDS to a harddrive into a dvd jutebox.

I have a Buffalo link theater and i can plug in an ext harddrive thru USB, but i have two problems...the aspect ration on my 4:3 sony 48 Rear Projection TV doesnt compress them properly so the widescreen ones are cutt off the edges. bleh. Seconly...of course, no menus or navigation.

So..after spending hours reading and my brain is beyond full...

What do i buy...a TVISTO, a TVIX or a the Mediagate mg-35? I want the Tvix 5k, but it dosent look to be out til Jan 06.

So until then..which one of the three to get? I would like to rip movies to my ext. usb/firewire harddrive and plug it directly in. However, im not entirely opposed to buying an empty one of those things and putting in a harddrive. (just already spent the money onan ext hd)

Internet streaming would be great but not mandatory...wiresless even better (Again not mandatory).

Thanks again for all your help
Old 11-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalkowetz View Post

Hi guys

Goal: to dvd decrypt my DVDS to a harddrive into a dvd jutebox.

I have a Buffalo link theater and i can plug in an ext harddrive thru USB, but i have two problems...the aspect ration on my 4:3 sony 48 Rear Projection TV doesnt compress them properly so the widescreen ones are cutt off the edges. bleh. Seconly...of course, no menus or navigation.

So..after spending hours reading and my brain is beyond full...

What do i buy...a TVISTO, a TVIX or a the Mediagate mg-35? I want the Tvix 5k, but it dosent look to be out til Jan 06.

So until then..which one of the three to get? I would like to rip movies to my ext. usb/firewire harddrive and plug it directly in. However, im not entirely opposed to buying an empty one of those things and putting in a harddrive. (just already spent the money onan ext hd)

Internet streaming would be great but not mandatory...wiresless even better (Again not mandatory).

Thanks again for all your help

Save yourself the trouble and get a xbox with XBMC on it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:59 PM

But that requires me to either purchase a chip OR softmod the box by opening up my pc, taking off my harddrive, either buying a new harddrive or pulling apart that Xbox and yanking out that harddrive and reformatting it in my pc. Then cross fingers and hope its all correct w/o destroying something. All the while, if something goes wrong, the response time to get any help is like...12 hous if im lucky?

Im not saying its a bad thing to do, what im saying, its not something i feel like missing w/. Thanks for your suggest tho

That being said...back to my original question...anyone?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:06 AM

Hello i see here a lot of experimented people on mg-35, i just bought one form ebay on canada, but i live in spain, and my english it's not as good as i like to call mediagate support for solving my problems. My first and actual problem it's that i have tried to configure the mg-35 for ethernet connection and i could not get this option make walk.

If anybody could give me any help about it, i'll be really pleased.

Well the way im trying to connect the computer with mg-35 is via ethernet, just with the rj-45 cabl, just this, cause it says on manual it could configure just with cale without router or any other connection machine or whatever, you'll may be understand me.

I do not have router so i cannot try. Well im using xp pro os, so if any one could give me any clue how to connect it, cause i tryed with everyhing and it cannot get configured, bytheway i have 1.3.2 firmware

thanks to everyone that could give me some answers.

thanks and bye again
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunder View Post

Well the way im trying to connect the computer with mg-35 is via ethernet, just with the rj-45 cabl, just this, cause it says on manual it could configure just with cale without router or any other connection machine or whatever, you'll may be understand me.

To connect directly to another PC, you need a special CAT5 cable type.
A crossover CAT5 cable allows you to network using a direct connection between two hosts.
In your case, connect a CAT5 crossover cable between your XP PC and the MG-35.

Life is short. Enjoy!
Andrew.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 PM

Does anyone have screenshots of the Mediagate MG-35 during any type of listing? I'm wondering if the interface is crappy or does look nice like MCE ?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Can you plug in an ext harddrive via usb into the unit and play ripped dvd's from it?

THANKS!!!

(would like ot puchase one but waiting for this really important answer! thank you!!)
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you plug in an ext harddrive via usb into the unit and play ripped dvd's from it?

THANKS!!!

(would like ot puchase one but waiting for this really important answer! thank you!!)

In a word... no.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:28 AM

can you plug the mg-35 into a wireless bridge and access your network that way?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

can you plug the mg-35 into a wireless bridge and access your network that way?

I don't see why not.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:00 PM

really?
so i guess teh question is...if it can see the network
what would the streaming be like..hmmm....(i.e. stutters etc)
Old 11-10-2005, 02:27 PM

is there a list of the upgrades btwn 1.3 to 1.4.2? Do i need to upgrade the firmware??

Thanks guys!

Sharon
Old 11-10-2005, 02:41 PM

I have 1.4.2 and no problems so far.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inittab View Post

Does anyone have screenshots of the Mediagate MG-35 during any type of listing? I'm wondering if the interface is crappy or does look nice like MCE ?

The interface is spare, serviceable, and functional.

But not pretty.

What?! Me worry?