post #451 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

and hard drive whining next to AV receiver and it does not go away even when you turn everything else off.

Some USB HDD enclosures have spindown technology so that wouldn't be an issue.

Quote:

But when you tried such luxury once you're not going back: my wife had exactly the same argument.

So, your wife actually says "Wow, this is SO much better than putting a DVD in the drive." I'm just curious how she shows her gratitude for your uberness. Mine complains that it takes too long to navigate TVeristy to play a CD. Movies would probably be more of the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post

I'm just curious how she shows her gratitude for your uberness. Mine complains that it takes too long to navigate TVeristy to play a CD. Movies would probably be more of the same.

She fires up 520 herself every time we have guests, good enough for me.
It's not the same for movies because it's just 300 of them and you, probably, have a few thousands MP3s. It's well known problem with all media players on the market today.
post #453 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not the same for movies because it's just 300 of them and you, probably, have a few thousands MP3s. It's well known problem with all media players on the market today.

Nah, try TVersity and you'll see what I mean. It takes several clicks to get to the proper folders. It drives her nuts. Customization of the navigation tree is supposed to come in a future version. Then she'll be happy.

Quote:

She fires up 520 herself every time we have guests, good enough for me.

I understand HOW it's used and why it would look cool to guests, but that's a superficial reason for doing it. I understand the navigation is improved. I'll give you that. It's probably faster to find a disc you want, but honestly, do you save as much time as you put into making the file? Is the quality the same as the DVD? Are you going to regret not waiting for H.264? I could also understand doing it to prevent wear and tear on discs, but you could also make copies to prevent that. I can also think of a few illicit reasons for creating such a library (Netflix dumps or selling originals), but nothing legal would inspire me to take on that kind of project when I have the perfectly good original discs sitting around. Especially when we have a never-ending stream of discs coming from Netflix.

I see this issue on a smaller scale with our music collection. I spent two weekends dumping every CD we have on the file server and I bet in the 5 months since we haven't played 80% of the files. The ratio would be even worse with video since we can't watch hours of video (if we had 300 DVDs) in the background while doing something else. The files would also take hundreds of hours longer to dump and convert. No thanks.
post #454 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'm really not trying to harass you, so I apologize if this sounds snotty, but what is the justification for such a project? Is it that hard to put in a DVD that will have (arguably) better video quality? I've had this discussion on other boards and I've yet to hear a compelling argument for having an XVID video library that large. Unless I'm missing something, at roughly 2 hours per movie, you're looking at 600 hours of conversion time just for the luxury of choosing a video from a menu instead of from a book case. Just seems like a lot of work.

I have a lot of burned DVDs and DVDs laying around in cases and I want to clean up the clutter, and just putting them on a piece of furniture wasn't really appealing to me, plus it's still not very organized and certainly not out of sight (let's face it, a bunch of DVDs sitting on shelves is not all that attractive in a media room..atleast not to me). Plus I like my DVR when I have movies or tv saved down on it. It's on demand... and now my video collection will be onDemand as well. It's that simple, and it's cool :-) Good enough justification for me.
post #455 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatten99 View Post

I have a lot of burned DVDs and DVDs laying around in cases and I want to clean up the clutter, and just putting them on a piece of furniture wasn't really appealing to me, plus it's still not very organized and certainly not out of sight (let's face it, a bunch of DVDs sitting on shelves is not all that attractive in a media room..atleast not to me). Plus I like my DVR when I have movies or tv saved down on it. It's on demand... and now my video collection will be onDemand as well. It's that simple, and it's cool :-) Good enough justification for me.

BTW, out of desperation, I found another interesting usage of 520: I brought back from Europe a few DVDs my DVD player absolutely refused to recognize. I ripped them to hard drive and voila. My friends were ecstatic, and not because of technology I used, but because they were seeing and listening to beautiful (and unique in USA at the time, I may say) Italian concerts on a big screen TV. That's way beyond luxury.
post #456 of 1954 Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM

I have been struggling with this whole media center -send it to your tv- play it the living room thing for about 6 months. I am embarrassed by the amount of money and all the stupid choices I have made. I thought I had found my answer in the dlink 520. Major not! At first, I was tickled I could finally get some of my computer media to play on my plasma Tv and stereo. But I found the 520 to be so damned slow that I might as well went into my computer room to operate it with the use of the 520. I ran into limitations of far down the alphabet I could go (G) on my playlists. Major frustration. Then, I found if you only played albums or artists within the A-E or the Z-S range it was find. But figure on about 15minutes to get to M (Half way through the A-Z

This is not a plug! It is the reality of what I have tried. I bought an xbox 360, coupled with vista ultimate, and now it functions the way I expect. It is fast and allows me to access all my media.. I get album art, time, artist, genre, etc. I get all of my playlists without freezing after g in the alphabet. I can create playlists, control volume, and access what I need. So, I just want to share my ecperience s and frustrations, money spent, and outright futility I have felt. So far, the Xbox 360 lives up to media center demands to my specifications (by the way, I do not play video games nor have any desire to) All I have ever wanted was my MTV

Wisardd1

WTF!
post #457 of 1954 Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW, out of desperation, I found another interesting usage of 520: I brought back from Europe a few DVDs my DVD player absolutely refused to recognize. I ripped them to hard drive and voila. My friends were ecstatic, and not because of technology I used, but because they were seeing and listening to beautiful (and unique in USA at the time, I may say) Italian concerts on a big screen TV. That's way beyond luxury.

They were PAL DVDs, right? It is pretty cool that the DSM-520 will play PAL material on NTSC screens. The few times I've tried it the audio was out of sync by the end of the material. Did that happen to you? I imagine the timing gets thrown off because of the different framerates.

wisardd: You should have tried TVersity with the DSM-520. It takes a few clicks to get to your folders, but once you're there it's very easy and fast to navigate material. TVersity works with the XBOX 360 as well. Check it out.
post #458 of 1954 Old 03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They were PAL DVDs, right? It is pretty cool that the DSM-520 will play PAL material on NTSC screens. The few times I've tried it the audio was out of sync by the end of the material. Did that happen to you? I imagine the timing gets thrown off because of the different framerates.

PAL - ? I'm not sure, there was nothing on a box or disc saying PAL, NTSC or whatever.
Lip-sync was perfect all the way to the very end, not a single hiccup. And each DVD was 2 - 2.5 hours long. Usually PAL material looks black-and-white on NTSC equipment, but all colors were in place.
What was unusual about them - it took about 1 - 1.5 hours to rip each of them, where normally it takes 8 - 15 mins. Ripping software reported control sum error for almost all blocks. I guess their mastering software did not write them.
post #459 of 1954 Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM

I bought and returned my DSM-520 the same day.

I record OTA HDTV with a pcHDTV HD-3000 and mythtv. The unit found the mythtv upnp server and could list the available recordings. However it could not play any of them without trouble. All 720p recordings played only audio. 1080i recordings could not play without dropping frame.

All in all, a very disappointing experience.
post #460 of 1954 Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM

any firmware upgrade coming up for the 520 anytime soon?
post #461 of 1954 Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 PM

When last I chatted with D-Link tech support--always an adventure--I was told 1.09--U.S. systems only--is the last of the line.

FWIW, I found that with 1.09, a 100 MB Ethernet connection, the D-Link media server and MP4s, usually rendered from other formats by Nero Recode, the system worked decently. Not good, certainly not great, but decently.

After spending far too much time on it, I think that's the best anyone can expect from the DSM-320. I recently started using the Apple TV, and it is so much better it's not even funny.

Steven
post #462 of 1954 Old 04-24-2007, 12:13 PM

Despite its many limitations, I've been a big fan of the DSM-520 since I purchased it back in '05. In fact, it's pretty much the only way we watch TV since we discontinued our cable TV service. However, I recently purchased a DSM-510 for the TV in our exercise room and it really puts the DSM-520 to shame. In addition to the smaller footprint and lower cost, the user interface has improved significantly. Specifically,

- Powering up the device is much faster
- Connects automatically to last accessed server
- Resumes last screen from standby
- No longer has exclusive modes for FF/REW and Skip
- Video playback may be resumed from where it was last stopped
- FF/REW modes are smooth and ramp from 2x to 100x speeds
- There's a +/- 15 second "commercial skip" feature
- Text quality and transition effects are much smoother

If it weren't for the fact that my 50" plasma only has one HDMI port that I currently have attached to my DVD player, I'd be ordering another DMS-510 right now for the family room. In fact, the only reason I can think of to buy a DSM-520 is if you don't have an available HDMI connection, and even in that case I'd recommend waiting for the DSM-750 or EVA8000 where you'll also get support for H.264 and VC-1.

Really, unless I can figure a way to adapt the DSM-510 firmware for the DSM-520, it's destined for eBay.
post #463 of 1954 Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM

How did you get the 1.09 firmware for the DSM-520. When I try to update all I see is the 1.02 code.
post #464 of 1954 Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplyer View Post

How did you get the 1.09 firmware for the DSM-520. When I try to update all I see is the 1.02 code.

He's talking about the 320.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post

any firmware upgrade coming up for the 520 anytime soon?

I just sent another message to D-Link asking for an update. This is what they told me in March:

Date of Reply: 3/16/2007
Products: DSM-520
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

I do not have a date of release at this time

============Begin of Original Message============
Hi,

Two months have passed since you said a new firmware for the DSM-520 would be released "shortly." When is the new firmware being released?
post #465 of 1954 Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

New firmware this week (or next)!

Date of Reply: 4/25/2007

Andrew

It should be released live this week I have been told if not next week it should be released.
post #466 of 1954 Old 04-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:

New firmware this week (or next)!

Date of Reply: 4/25/2007

Andrew

It should be released live this week I have been told if not next week it should be released.

awesome! cant wait...does anyone know if it does anything userful, or does it merely fix non-issues...
post #467 of 1954 Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM

cool! -- hope it doesnt break anything! -- it streams hd divx/xvid awesome at the moment--
post #468 of 1954 Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckramer View Post

hope it doesnt break anything!

Me too since they apparently go a year between firmware releases....
post #469 of 1954 Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 PM

i feel a new firmware coming!!! wooohoo!!
post #470 of 1954 Old 05-01-2007, 07:52 AM

Any updates on the firmware? I haven't heard anything from Dlink tech support yet!
post #471 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 AM

For what it's worth, here is Dlink's reply

"I do not have a date for release I am very sorry it will however add support for DVR.ms
file formats and greater bitrate support on files also album art will now be displayed
while playing music files. There are more but I do not have the release notes for the
firmware at this time.

Thank you"
post #472 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 06:38 AM

I would love for them to support album art while playing music files. Hopefully, it happens with this "new firmware release" It never made sense to me that you could slideshow pictures while playing music, but could not display album art when playing music.
post #473 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone else tried the DSM-520 with MythTV? kenberland's report earlier in this thread did not sound very promising, but I see the 520 is listed as one of the working clients in the MythTV wiki.

Or, if not MythTV, any experiences using the 520 with broadcast HDTV files from other servers (MPEG2 streams with 1080i or 720p video, and DD5.1 audio)?
post #474 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji View Post

Has anyone else tried the DSM-520 with MythTV? kenberland's report earlier in this thread did not sound very promising, but I see the 520 is listed as one of the working clients in the MythTV wiki.

I'm 7 days into using the DSM 520. it does see MythTV and play its files. I'm using MythDora, PCHDTV, and am transcoding per instructions at myhdbox com mythtips
tuning OTA HD content. The Myth content after transcode is all under 4.5 Mbps

The only MythTV-specific problem I am having is what you might call "cracking" or "popping" in the audio. That -may- be in my source file, I'm not sure yet. I just built the MythDora Box.

My other means of UPNP is a DLINK DNS 323 storage device. BTW I have a wired connection to the DSM 520 through a gigabit switch.

My video freezes pretty often, more often when I am attempting FF. The DNS-323 has video in MPEG-2@5Mbps, and MPEG-4@3Mbps. The higher bit rates freeze the DSM unit more often than lower bit rates, however all my bit rates are lower than the 8Mbps limit set by DLINK. (waz up with that?)

I watched most of a 2 hour movie only to have the system freeze with only 10 minutes left, that's without any FF activity. woof. Thats a total disaster given the limited FF functionality (when it works at all).

Is Nero Re-Encode a panacea? I might take the time to use the demo to transcode files with it, and see if the DSM 520 is any smoother operating.
post #475 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response, MDCanoy. I'm not the most patient guy, so I stopped at Best Buy this afternoon and picked up a DSM-520 for testing. I can always take it back if it doesn't work out.

My initial impression is a bit of a mixed bag. It was very easy to set up, it found MythTV and just worked. The HD programs look great. The playback is smooth, and looks at least as good as my Myth box.

But, some of my HD recordings would not display at all. They would play the audio, but not the video. They may be at too high a bit rate for the DSM-520. They were all 1080i files (but some 1080i files did play okay). All my 720p files played back perfectly. I also ran into a couple freezes, like you mentioned, when trying to FF.

My biggest problem is the lack of any jump fwd/back ability, or reasonable fast forward. Along with no bookmarking, it makes anything but straight linear viewing difficult. I absolutely hate sitting through commercials, so there is no way I can tolerate the 520 without some better playback controls.

I also had mixed results with connecting to a Mac OS X system to access the music/pictures via the EyeConnect UPnP server. My large photo library didn't display at all. Music worked okay, but not great. I'll continue to test it with other UPnP software..
post #476 of 1954 Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji View Post

My biggest problem is the lack of any jump fwd/back ability,

Under General Setup -> Audio/Video you can configure FF/REV to Jump.
post #477 of 1954 Old 05-03-2007, 12:39 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Under General Setup -> Audio/Video you can configure FF/REV to Jump.

When I had it in that mode, I got an error message telling me to use FF/REW instead. So, apparently that's only supported with some video types. That's a shame.. you would think skip ahead would be much easier than a scanning FF.

Has anyone else successfully used skip ahead with HD MPEG2?
post #478 of 1954 Old 05-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanksv View Post

For what it's worth, here is Dlink's reply

"I do not have a date for release I am very sorry it will however add support for DVR.ms
file formats and greater bitrate support on files also album art will now be displayed
while playing music files. There are more but I do not have the release notes for the
firmware at this time.

Thank you"

That totally contradicts their response to me.
post #479 of 1954 Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 AM

they're probably confusing it with the dsm-750
post #480 of 1954 Old 05-03-2007, 07:03 AM

re: ff/rw i've learned to live with the skip method, i view info on the playing file, then skip... i'm good at it now... ff/rw doesnt work well at all, i never use it-- and yes mpeg2, dvd etc,-- better just watch them straight thru--
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page