Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1954 Old 01-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souki View Post

Microsoft offers a free Windows Media Encoder 9 Series encoder software. There's 32bit and 64bit download available for free. It allow you to encode Mpeg2 to WMV9 file format upto 1080i/1080p.

Souki,

do you know of a good thread elsewhere that deals with MPEG2 to WMV9 transcoding? I'm experimenting with VOB to WMv9 using MS's 9-series encoder, but am having issues. I cannot get a to a successful transcode yet:
I have both the 32-bit and 64-bit (I have a xp pro x64 partition) versions of the encoder. I have a play-able VOB file (plays in wmplayer) as a test file right now.

Thanks

Bimmerboy750

The Theorem theorem: If if, Then then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1954 Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Strangely enough I haven't noticed this problem, maybe my sony hdtv works differently? Try a different scaling option for the pictures.

All the scaling options seem to be distorted as though the DSM-520 assumes it's rendering to a 4:3 surface, even Keep as Original. I'd blame it on TVersity, but the same thing occurs when displaying images off a USB drive.

Souki, do you also have your A/V Settings at 1080i Component and 16:9?
post #183 of 1954 Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 PM

TVersity question. Thinking maybe Magendanz has my answer, but wanted to know if everyone is have a bit of a hard time getting this media server to show up over a wireless connection to the server computer. I have to restart TVersity each time I goto use the 520 for it to see it. It will then work, but that is the only way. Also finding that only Twonky will show up concurrently with the other servers. Just want verification this is similar to everyone elses experince with wireless setup.
post #184 of 1954 Old 01-18-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Xvid should work just fine, as I was able to play the King Kong Xvid 1080p trailer in Xvid, it's over 2.5 mins long, via HDD. You can also try converting them to WMV9 using the free MS 9 encoder, I posted the link earlier in this thread. Don't do Divx, as it currently only supports 720p.

Souki, you've mentioned the MS encoder twice now, but have you successfully managed to get it to convert .ts files? If so, how?
post #185 of 1954 Old 01-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Just a quick update. Remember the 1080 file I had that was messing up well it was 1080i. So 1080i didnt work for me at 100% Xvid via AutoGK (hard drive). Furthermore I tried 1080i @75% through Hard drive and it was STILL choppy!!!! Man this sucks. Could it be my hard drive (Hitachi 250GB 8MB cache)? I am gonna try 1080i@ 50% now. I hope it still looks half way decent though. BTW I tried a bunch of 720p material and it is flawless and ROcKS!!

WAIT a minute:
Something isnt making sense. I just did a quick check. My Superman trailer I converted is 77MB (75% via AutoGK) and it is 94seconds. Rougly speaking this is LESS than 1 MB per second so WHY the hell cant the drive transfer it fast enough??!!? This goes for all my vids? Any ideas?
post #186 of 1954 Old 01-20-2006, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsj View Post

Thinking maybe Magendanz has my answer, but wanted to know if everyone is have a bit of a hard time getting this media server to show up over a wireless connection to the server computer. I have to restart TVersity each time I goto use the 520 for it to see it. It will then work, but that is the only way.

No, I haven't seen anything that extreme. Maybe once or twice I've had a discovery problem and had to reset TVersity for the service to be found by the DSM-520, but nothing like every time.

My unit is pretty close to my access point, though. If you've got weak wireless signal strength, then what you're seeing might make sense.
post #187 of 1954 Old 01-21-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninLA View Post

Question, I have had success streaming most of my music that's on my pc. I say most, but there is one of my cd's that I ripped to the hard drive, but it absolutely refuses to stream. I can see it in my server, but when I select the first track, it sits there, then moves to the next one, and continues all the way through each track until it reaches the last one, then stops. No error, no message, just won't play.

John, I had this exact same problem for mp3s that had album art associated with them. The DSM-520 does not yet support album art, which is stupid considering it's marketing itself as a media player.

The only solution I could find was to remove the album art tags from all my mp3s, which is annoying for when I then go to load stuff onto my iPod.

Could this be the issue you're having?
post #188 of 1954 Old 01-23-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supes View Post

WAIT a minute:
Something isnt making sense. I just did a quick check. My Superman trailer I converted is 77MB (75% via AutoGK) and it is 94seconds. Rougly speaking this is LESS than 1 MB per second so WHY the hell cant the drive transfer it fast enough??!!? This goes for all my vids? Any ideas?

I have tried using AutoGK to convert VOBs to Xvid-avi (so I can use the 'jump to time' feature), but only am seeing 2 channel audio even though the avi I created has the 6ch AC3 stream in it (and that's the only audio stream I selected). When I play the avi on my pc, I don't get sound, which makes sense given my sound card (basic one on the motherboard).

When you transcoded your stuff, did the 5.1 audio come through to the dsm-520? If so, any ideas here on what I'm doing wrong? I'm streaming via Twonky and the Dlink servers and get similar results.
post #189 of 1954 Old 01-23-2006, 08:50 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsxrayelk View Post

John, I had this exact same problem for mp3s that had album art associated with them. The DSM-520 does not yet support album art, which is stupid considering it's marketing itself as a media player.

The only solution I could find was to remove the album art tags from all my mp3s, which is annoying for when I then go to load stuff onto my iPod.

Could this be the issue you're having?

I don't think so, I just ripped my cd to my hard drive, without adding any graphics, that I know of. I'll look deeper to see if Nero adding anything more, but I don't think that was the problem. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #190 of 1954 Old 01-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMike View Post

I have tried using AutoGK to convert VOBs to Xvid-avi (so I can use the 'jump to time' feature), but only am seeing 2 channel audio even though the avi I created has the 6ch AC3 stream in it (and that's the only audio stream I selected). When I play the avi on my pc, I don't get sound, which makes sense given my sound card (basic one on the motherboard).

When you transcoded your stuff, did the 5.1 audio come through to the dsm-520? If so, any ideas here on what I'm doing wrong? I'm streaming via Twonky and the Dlink servers and get similar results.

Honestly I didnt even bother checking (listening). I mean the audio was skipping so bad that I couldnt check if it was 5.1 or not by listening to it. I am sure that the HD demos I encoded were 5.1 BUT the receiver showed 2 channels if I remember correctly. So yes AutoGK did the same thing for me. I will when I get time verify that this is indeed what happened.
post #191 of 1954 Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:

You're doing nothing wrong. I asked D-Link support the same question and this was their reply:

As for XVID files they are only supported with MP3 or PCM audio.

A properly encoded AVI should pass through Dolby Digital just fine.

Should you require further assistance with your D-Link products, please reply to this message, or call toll free at 877-453-5465. Thank you for networking with D-Link.

Sincerely,
Patrick Cline
D-Link Technical Support

Since we can hear the audio it's obviously being converted. AC3 will passthrough if you play the VOBs. However, I joined multiple VOBs into a single file and the playback froze at about 1 hour.
post #192 of 1954 Old 01-24-2006, 05:19 AM

I tried AutoGK on a few transcodes. I liked the automation of the process, but didn't like the results. Since, I've been following a more manual process that I got from videohelp.com:

http://www.bobsomers.com/articles/dvdmoviefiles.php

I preserve the AC-3 on my conversions and I'm using Xvid to make H.264 ASP L5 encodes. I like the quality (with about a 3:1 reduction in HDD space) and can confirm AC-3 passthrough, and the jump feature.... this on a DSM-320 not a 520.

Bimmerboy750

post #193 of 1954 Old 01-25-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy750 View Post

I preserve the AC-3 on my conversions and I'm using Xvid to make H.264 ASP L5 encodes. I like the quality (with about a 3:1 reduction in HDD space) and can confirm AC-3 passthrough, and the jump feature.... this on a DSM-320 not a 520.

Thanks for the info. However, after a quick try last night, I still wasn't seeing 5.1 sound (on the 520). Bummer. If only ff/rew or jump to time worked for vob/mpeg2, I wouldn't have to try & jump through these hoops.
post #194 of 1954 Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM

I have the older dms-320 which works great but only plays media off your pc (personal media). I see the DSM-520 lets you connect a usb drive. Can you play media right off this usb attached drive without even using a pc. Is it standalone in playing media from an attached usb drive????
Also, I have the ati hdtv wonder that records HD ota tv. Anyone know if the DSM-520 can play there stored recorded hd files made by hdtv wonder???
post #195 of 1954 Old 02-03-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randym431 View Post

I have the older dms-320 which works great but only plays media off your pc (personal media). I see the DSM-520 lets you connect a usb drive. Can you play media right off this usb attached drive without even using a pc. Is it standalone in playing media from an attached usb drive????
Also, I have the ati hdtv wonder that records HD ota tv. Anyone know if the DSM-520 can play there stored recorded hd files made by hdtv wonder???

The 520 does indeed play media right from a USB drive. I've always had my 520 connected to my PC network also but I would assume it could work without a PC at all. I'm just not 100% sure the setup wizard would survive if no network or media server was found at all though.

The main menu of the 520 though lets you play media from the network, media from the USB or media from online sources (Rhapsody, etc.).

Sorry I can't help with your Wonder question. I assume you've scrolled though this thread back to where several folk discussed sending HD content to the 520.
post #196 of 1954 Old 02-05-2006, 01:24 PM

So to play my .ts files this is what i tried to do.
I tried converting them to Xvid (avi) and they stuttered a lot. I tried converting them to MPEG2 and again they still stuttered. I want .ts support dammit!

I bought this unit for HD, and hoped a harddrive would solve all bandwidth problems. It hasnt for me. I think some people here say they got 1080p to work without stuttering. For that I think they used wmv 9. I havent tried this and I fankly cant try this becuase I dont have anything that will do the conversion. All my normal streams on audio/video (non HD) do work fine though

Does anyone think it could be my harddrive (Hitachi 7200rpm, 250GB, 8MB cache) PATA?
post #197 of 1954 Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tried converting them to Xvid (avi) and they stuttered a lot. I tried converting them to MPEG2 and again they still stuttered. I want .ts support dammit!

I bought this unit for HD, and hoped a harddrive would solve all bandwidth problems. It hasnt for me. I think some people here say they got 1080p to work without stuttering. For that I think they used wmv 9. I havent tried this and I fankly cant try this becuase I dont have anything that will do the conversion. All my normal streams on audio/video (non HD) do work fine though

Does anyone think it could be my harddrive (Hitachi 7200rpm, 250GB, 8MB cache) PATA?

you running ethernet or wireless?
post #198 of 1954 Old 02-07-2006, 05:43 AM

usb harddrive
post #199 of 1954 Old 02-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:

did the transcoded xvid's play fine on the PC, or did it stutter there as well? if so, then the transcode wasn't done right.

Bimmerboy750

post #200 of 1954 Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 PM

On the dsm-520, using the HDMI cable output, does this connection also display non HD video (mpeg1) thru the HDMI cable?
post #201 of 1954 Old 02-09-2006, 08:24 AM

I use an HDMI cable with the DSM-520 and have been sucessful with playing mpeg1 files.

The only issue that I have is that I don't get any audio playing any of the WMV HD 720P files mention here in this thread.

My DSM-520 setup:

Video - HDMI
Audio - Digital Coax
Network - Wired 10/100
post #202 of 1954 Old 02-12-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcote View Post

...The only issue that I have is that I don't get any audio playing any of the WMV HD 720P files mention here in this thread...

They probably are encoded with WMV Pro which requires a new amp that can decode this special format.

I don't mean to inflame anyone, but I'm surprised the 520 has trouble w/HD files. I am here because I understood the 520 used the Sigma EM8620L chip, which my Pinnacle SC200 has as well. I can play-back transport streams all the way to 19.2 (though if only one stream is capped it's usually less than 15Mbps), and this over a 100Mbps wired ethernet network. I've never tried its USB port.
post #203 of 1954 Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy750 View Post

did the transcoded xvid's play fine on the PC, or did it stutter there as well? if so, then the transcode wasn't done right.

All my coded material works fine on the PC but the DLink just has a hard time with it IMO.
post #204 of 1954 Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I have tried using AutoGK to convert VOBs to Xvid-avi (so I can use the 'jump to time' feature), but ...

Am I missing something concerning Jump mode? I am trying to use it with basic MPEG-2 files and it doesn't work for me. I changed the setting to jump mode. While watching the video I hit Search, type in a time (00:05:00) and press Enter. I see the "Play arrow" displayed but I don't jump.
post #205 of 1954 Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you found a fix for the picture "squishing" I'm having the same issue.

post #206 of 1954 Old 03-06-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post

Have you found a fix for the picture "squishing" I'm having the same issue.

No, I haven't yet discovered a workaround for that.
post #207 of 1954 Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:

They probably are encoded with WMV Pro which requires a new amp that can decode this special format.

You're right, they are encoded in WMA Pro!!! I finally got audio when I attached the analog outputs (YUCK!!!). I guess I will need to connect digital and analog outputs of the DSM520 to my Yamaha receiver. Thankfully, my receiver has an auto mode to select between the two.
post #208 of 1954 Old 03-14-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcote View Post

WMA Pro!!! I finally got audio when I attached the analog outputs (YUCK!!!)...

I got a Pioneer amp w/WMAPro decoding capabilities, and was dismayed to confirm that my SC200 doesn't output the WMAPro on the digital-out at all. Probably the DSM-520 is the same, an issue of the underlying Sigma Design(s).
post #209 of 1954 Old 03-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post

Am I missing something concerning Jump mode? I am trying to use it with basic MPEG-2 files and it doesn't work for me. I changed the setting to jump mode. While watching the video I hit Search, type in a time (00:05:00) and press Enter. I see the "Play arrow" displayed but I don't jump.

You're doing it right. I've only tried XviDs, the button pushes you're using works on those. Maybe it's something about how the MPEG2s are encoded? Does FF work on the MPEGs?
post #210 of 1954 Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 AM

Does anyone else have a problem with the DSM-520 disconnecting on idle? I'm using the DSM-520 over an 802.11g wireless connection to JRiver Media Center's UPnP server. The DSM-520 consistently disconnects after it's been idle for a certain amount of time (15 minutes?). When I start using the DSM-520 again, it takes me to the "Server Connect" screen, where I can always reconnect. We don't have any 2.4Ghz phones and the microwave isn't between the AP and the DSM-520 (and there doesn't seem to be a correlation). My connection strength hovers around 80%.

I've also tried the TwonkyMedia 3.1 UPnP server, and it actually disconnects while browsing menus. I haven't had any problems streaming music or video with the JRMC UPnP server.

I noticed that DLink fixed a similar problem in one of the DSM-320 firmware upgrades. Anyone else having this problem with the DSM-520? What UPnP server are you using?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page