DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4887 Old 04-18-2006, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many in this thread have done soft mods. $20 investment in a game and 30mins later they were running XBMC. I had my xbox modded soldered by someone but try reading through the thread or xbox-scene.com forums.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4887 Old 04-19-2006, 01:26 PM

I use the Xecuter 2.6 CE lite. I actually soldered it into my first box (what a PITA). Took about four hours (and quite a few drinks, probably why it took four hours)

More recently I picked up a broken xbox on ebay and put the same chip in it with the solderless adapter. Much easier to do and it works flawlessly.

The solderless adapter was well worth the extra $17 or so.
post #453 of 4887 Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 AM

I personally have not tried the solderless adapters, but I can vouch for the Xecuter line of chips. I use X3s, and have had zero problems in the installs.
post #454 of 4887 Old 04-20-2006, 10:36 AM

I've installed XChips in 1.0, 1.2/1.3, and 1.6s. This means some soldering, and some not.

The new mounts for the XChips are awful. I'm doing a box for my brother now, and am going to try the SmartXX V3 with the Xapt3r adapter. I've heard great things about the SmartXX chips & the Xapt3r looks like a piece of cake to install.

The only thing I really enjoyed about the XChip was the ease of flashing the BIOS.
post #455 of 4887 Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Do you all leave the xbox on 24/7 or just when you want to use it?
post #456 of 4887 Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avale View Post

OK, I'm hooked! Has anyone hacked their Xbox so they can turn their Xbox on and off with a remote? If so, which hack (or kit) did you use?

I have it also.. the XIR easy version was a snap to install... Lovin it!!
post #457 of 4887 Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilesja View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Do you all leave the xbox on 24/7 or just when you want to use it?

I genreally just turn it on when I want to use it. The fan makes too much noise to leave it on when it's not in use.
post #458 of 4887 Old 04-22-2006, 11:29 AM

FYI, New CVS by T3CH is available at the usual place.... Lots of fixes in this one. Hopefully 2.0 is around the corner.
post #459 of 4887 Old 04-25-2006, 05:55 PM

I ran across this thread and installed this over the weekend (had the xbox already). It's pretty awesome I must admit. A bit unstable but definitely cutting edge stuff. Props to the contributors. Now I have to spend bookoo bucks on NAS solution.....
post #460 of 4887 Old 04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ripper,

Have you installed a solder installation style Xecuter 3 on a version 1.6 XBOX?

Any tips on the installation?

Where did you get your mod kits from?

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #461 of 4887 Old 04-26-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilesja View Post

I never turn it off.

This is the best piece of equipment in my 100K+ Crestron controlled whole house system.

If Microsoft were smart, they would buy XBMC and hire the coders... unbelievable app.
post #462 of 4887 Old 04-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_K View Post

If Microsoft were smart, they would buy XBMC and hire the coders... unbelievable app.

Dunno if M$ isn't smart, or if they're just plain evil. They must have been aware of how awesome XBMC is, yet the "media center" they built into the Xbox 360 is ridiculously weak and primitive by comparison. If the XBMC coders had been able to put out a commercial homebrew product for the original Xbox, M$ would have bought them out for $100 million and put something half decent into the 360. Alas, that just didn't happen.
post #463 of 4887 Old 04-27-2006, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looks great! I've used xbmc for years, but now that we have mce in the living room, I switched to the xbox media extender in the bedroom for better compatiblity, same ui, etc.

Great tip about xir, though. I just ordered one. It resolves the last remaining issue we had with the xbox!

Derek
post #464 of 4887 Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazerhead View Post

Dunno if M$ isn't smart, or if they're just plain evil. They must have been aware of how awesome XBMC is, yet the "media center" they built into the Xbox 360 is ridiculously weak and primitive by comparison. If the XBMC coders had been able to put out a commercial homebrew product for the original Xbox, M$ would have bought them out for $100 million and put something half decent into the 360. Alas, that just didn't happen.

If M$ were to get their hands on XBMC I promise that 80% of the functionality would be stripped for fear of copy wright violation concerns.... Things are fine just the way they are..... Stay away M$.... We like the product as is.... The reason that the 360 is functionality retarded is due to M$'s fear of being held liable for any misuse of thier product. ie. DVD iso's, Xvid... ect. ect. If you look at all of the digital media servers that are around and how limited they are and/or how they put every thing plus the kitched sink under the hood but with pathetic GUI / WAF it is easy to see who the real winner is.... And yes we all know about kaleidascope but who in the hell has 20 grand to throw at a media system.... lol.
post #465 of 4887 Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Did kaleidoscope ever recover from the DVD licensing lawsuit a few years back? They got sued over the very feature they were mainly advertising, the ISO extraction and persistent storage feature without the need for the physical DVD [once extracted].

F.
post #466 of 4887 Old 04-29-2006, 11:01 AM

I got my MS XPMC wireless KB / IR receiver, and XBOX USB converter cable. All is connected but I cannot get the XBMC to respond to any KB keys.

I have confirmed the KB and receiver are functionaly by using them in another PC. Several MS wireless KBs have been listed as working so I thought I would try this one.

I will try a straight USB KB today and see if it is picked up.

Is there something I need to configure on XBMC? I am running a build from around 3/20/06.

Help or thoguhts are welcome..

Fabian.
post #467 of 4887 Old 04-30-2006, 02:50 PM

My wired USB Keyboard works great... Do we have to change anything on in XBMC to help it recognize a wireless KB using an infrered USB receiver?

F.
post #468 of 4887 Old 05-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Hi there:

I just recently purchased a 300gig NAS and have it working fine, streaming data (music,movies, etc) w/ the xbox, mainly using xbmc. My xbox hd is juat a reg 8gig drive. Thing is I want to be able to play all the emulators & their roms off my NAS drive. The question I have is can you transfer the entire F:/Emulators directory to a NAS (smb), in other words smb://mydrive/Emulators, the have all the seprate emulators & their roms on a NAS?

What do I have to modify in the xbox settings or files, to look for the emulators,config files,roms, etc on my smb? I tried copying the folder to my NAS and editied the xboxmediacenter.xml to look in there. But no luck. Is there a xbe file I have to change. Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

J.
(Cali)

jr.
post #469 of 4887 Old 05-01-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanR View Post

Hi there:

I just recently purchased a 300gig NAS and have it working fine, streaming data (music,movies, etc) w/ the xbox, mainly using xbmc. My xbox hd is juat a reg 8gig drive. Thing is I want to be able to play all the emulators & their roms off my NAS drive. The question I have is can you transfer the entire F:/Emulators directory to a NAS (smb), in other words smb://mydrive/Emulators, the have all the seprate emulators & their roms on a NAS?

What do I have to modify in the xbox settings or files, to look for the emulators,config files,roms, etc on my smb? I tried copying the folder to my NAS and editied the xboxmediacenter.xml to look in there. But no luck. Is there a xbe file I have to change. Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

J.
(Cali)

Never tried it myself.....but how about this alternative. Keep the emulators on the xbox hard drive and have the roms stored over the network. I believe you may be able to browse your network for the roms should the emulator support it...

Now that I think about it, as soon as you execute the emulator program, XBMC is closed and the network settings only apply to XBMC. The emu has to support network browsing in order for this to work and has to be configured with your network settings somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #470 of 4887 Old 05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

This might be a question that has an obvious answer that I am not aware of, but has "teamxecuter.com" gone belly up as they have let their web site servicing account expire as of 4/13/06.

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #471 of 4887 Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J. Coyle View Post

Hi all,

This might be a question that has an obvious answer that I am not aware of, but has "teamxecuter.com" gone belly up as they have let their web site servicing account expire as of 4/13/06.

Regards,
TCIII

Is this their site? http://www.team-xecuter.com/

post #472 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Ja Phule,

Thanks for the response. I was not getting the "-" between team and xecuter. I obviously had a band link to team xecuter from another website site.

Regards,
TCIII

post #473 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 10:30 AM

Harmony Remote Question... I have just setup the XIR on my Xbox (as people have mentioned here, it is a must have!!!). I was thinking about getting a Harmony 880 remote but have one question that I do not believe has been covered in this thread. I know that the Harmony website has a profile for the Xbox remote, I also know that the Harmony website has a cool wizard for setting up macros for categories like, "Watch Movie", etc.

My question is...
Can I use the Harmony wizard to setup all the steps necessary to turn on my tv and control the Xbox remote functions and then go into that setup and manually enter in the XIR codes for turning ON and OFF the Xbox, so when I select "Watch Movie" it will also turn the Xbox ON, and I select some other function it will turn the Xbox OFF?

Also, if turning the Xbox off is mapped to hitting the "0" three times, can you program the Harmony to send that signal three times and map it to Xbox OFF?
post #474 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 06:58 PM

The XIR 1.x will turn off my XBOX using a single "0" command, not three times.

I have the XIR XBOX function included in all my macros now.

F.
post #475 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm another recent convert to XBMC after reading this thread and everything is working great except for one last piece. I'd like to watch over my LAN videos in formats that XBMC appears not to support and I found an old thread somewhere that talked about using the streaming output feature of VLC. I can get the audio portion to play but not the video even after fiddling with various stream output settings.

If anyone has been able to get this to work, I will greatly appreciate any pointers you might be able to provide.

Thanks.

(or any other way to stream arbitrary video content)
post #476 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post

The XIR 1.x will turn off my XBOX using a single "0" command, not three times.

I have the XIR XBOX function included in all my macros now.

F.

I guess I shouldn't have bought the XIR V2 Version that requires the"0" three times. I'll have to see if this can be modified.

UPDATE: You can modify this parameter with the programming cable (which is only a couple of bucks). So the V2 Version give you more flexibility. Also, this guy provides amazing tech support.
post #477 of 4887 Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

I'm another recent convert to XBMC after reading this thread and everything is working great except for one last piece. I'd like to watch over my LAN videos in formats that XBMC appears not to support and I found an old thread somewhere that talked about using the streaming output feature of VLC. I can get the audio portion to play but not the video even after fiddling with various stream output settings.

If anyone has been able to get this to work, I will greatly appreciate any pointers you might be able to provide.

Thanks.

(or any other way to stream arbitrary video content)

What "arbitrary video content" are you trying to stream? Can you post a clip for us to try ourself?

post #478 of 4887 Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

What "arbitrary video content" are you trying to stream? Can you post a clip for us to try ourself?

I'm curious to know also... I haven't found a file format the XBMC can't stream.
post #479 of 4887 Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 AM

Just a quick question - which USB keyboard is preferred? And for which apps would you use it for? I am adding the Xecuter control panel to my box this weekend, and will have the USB ports available. I currently control the functions using the remote.
Thanks!

P.S. - I have had no luck locating 5849 in 'usual places' and I do not have newsgroups. Any clues?
post #480 of 4887 Old 05-04-2006, 07:33 PM

As for USB keyboards, any direct wired version seems to work great. It's when you go the wireless USB route when things get hairy. I am still wondering what it will take to get my MS MCE XP IR keyboard to work.

F.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page