DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 4887 Old 07-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First, i want to thank JaPhule for starting this thread and everyone else that contributed. This was my inspiration to mod my first box to add to my lonely Xbr crt in the basement.

I used Ndure 3.1 to create a dual boot Xbox 1.6 (stock dash/Xbmc). I backed up both the C and E partion to my PC. My question is what exactly do i have to keep from the back up? Most tutorials were'nt too clear on this. Some said just Eeprom some said C + eeprom.

My C folder is 171 mb
audio-33mb
fonts-32mb
xboxdashdata.185EADOO-41.2mb
xodash-32.5mb
xboxbook.xtf-16.2mb
xbox.xtf-14.8mb
xboxdash.xbe-1.87mb

E folder is 215mb
apps-empty
backup-171mb
cache-8.71mb
dash-2.86mb
ndts-12.5mb <----bios.bin is in here 256k
nkp11-empty
tdata-9.33mb
udata-9.81mb

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 4887 Old 07-05-2010, 05:48 PM

e:\\backups

It contains both the C: drive and the eeprom. It's about 174MB total for me.

--
zimdba
post #4863 of 4887 Old 09-19-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems XBMC for XBOX development is still moving forward despite being officially removed from the main XBMC branch. It also seems like support has gotten better since. More info at xbmc4xbox.org. I've updated my xboxes to one of the nightly builds and it seems to be working quite well.

One of the biggest issues I've had with prior builds was trying to get some of the graphic intensive skins running well on the xbox and my xbox would freeze trying to play videos from the library due to memory issues and file view was the only option for me using these skins. Using xbox optimized version of the NIGHT skin, I'm pleased to see that I have yet to have any issues viewing movies and tv shows from my library.

One of the new things for XBMC is the official android remote app. I played with this recently and it is quite cool. You have the ability to browse your movies and tv shows and cast info/synopsis, see cover art/screenshots straight from your phone and it works with XBMC for XBOX. Interestingly enough, there's an option to push your SMS notifications and phone calls directly to your TV while running the app. Check the screenshots here: http://code.google.com/p/android-xbm...e/wiki/Gallery

I'd recommend testing out the latest nightly builds if you guys are still using the old version if you haven't updated in a while. T3CH has retired and is not providing builds anymore but nightly builds are available here: http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/

I do have a full HTPC XBMC in my living room now but serve xbmc xbox in bedrooms currently. The HTPC stores most of my media and I have the xboxes set up to run a WAKE ON LAN script to power up the HTPC from sleep when I need to stream anything from it, works well and it helps save energy at the same time

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4864 of 4887 Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Nice setup, Ja Phule, and thanks for the briefing. I had pretty much given up on any support for XBMC on Xbox, but will head over and check it out.

We're still using XBMC/Xbox, on 7 Xboxes through the house, as our main media client, when not watching DVR'd shows -- though, even w/ the 'end of show lockup' potential, I still prefer accessing our ReplayTVs through XBMC, to get date sorting of shows.) Bottom line for us is that we haven't gone full HD, and prioritize easy access to our existing MPEG2 DVR-sourced content over 1080p.
post #4865 of 4887 Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:

No posts were found because the word replaytv is not contained in any post.

Quote:

No posts were found because the word tivo is not contained in any post.

Ouch! ... that doesn't bode well.

All member'd up. Thanks again.
post #4866 of 4887 Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

I do have a full HTPC XBMC in my living room now but serve xbmc xbox in bedrooms currently. The HTPC stores most of my media and I have the xboxes set up to run a WAKE ON LAN script to power up the HTPC from sleep when I need to stream anything from it, works well and it helps save energy at the same time

LOL - I just got my XBMC on HTPC/Linux running the other night. I played a flawless mkv. Does a great job and with Nvidia support in Linux this can be built super cheap. I'm running HDMI/DVI to display and an optical to my receiver (which is a 5.1 setup anyway).

Ironically I'll be relocating my original Xbox to the bedroom such as you have already done.

Was wondering who else had gone the HTPC route.

Display:    Panasonic 65" VT60

AVR:        Marantz 6005

Speakers: Kef Q towers/rears Kef Reference center

HTPC:       Win 7 Pro with XBMC

Xbox Live: Arbitrage XXL

post #4867 of 4887 Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post

LOL - I just got my XBMC on HTPC/Linux running the other night. I played a flawless mkv. Does a great job and with Nvidia support in Linux this can be built super cheap. I'm running HDMI/DVI to display and an optical to my receiver (which is a 5.1 setup anyway).

Ironically I'll be relocating my original Xbox to the bedroom such as you have already done.

Was wondering who else had gone the HTPC route.

Same here.

Using a Acer Revo in the living room and moved one xbox to bedroom other to computer room.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #4868 of 4887 Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Ja Phule
would you mind sharing your wake on lan scipt.. I have multiple xboxs using one media server and it would be nice to allow the server to sleep when not being used..

bigbw
post #4869 of 4887 Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 PM

I dusted off my Xbox this week and updated to the latest build. I'd love to put it back into service as a dedicated music player, outputing SPDIF to a reciever - but I cannot find a viable web interface skin that will allow me to control from a handheld Hp Ipaq.
The objective is to not have it hooked up to a TV.
post #4870 of 4887 Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbw View Post

Ja Phule
would you mind sharing your wake on lan scipt.. I have multiple xboxs using one media server and it would be nice to allow the server to sleep when not being used..

bigbw

Throw this code into Notepad and save it as wake.py (or whatever you want with extension .py).

Code:
# Wake-On-LAN
#
# Copyright (C) 2002 by Micro Systems Marc Balmer
# Written by Marc Balmer, marc@msys.ch, http://www.msys.ch/
# This code is free software under the GPL

import struct, socket

def WakeOnLan(ethernet_address):

# Construct a six-byte hardware address

addr_byte = ethernet_address.split(':')
  hw_addr = struct.pack('BBBBBB', int(addr_byte[0], 16),
    int(addr_byte[1], 16),
    int(addr_byte[2], 16),
    int(addr_byte[3], 16),
    int(addr_byte[4], 16),
    int(addr_byte[5], 16))

# Build the Wake-On-LAN "Magic Packet"...

msg = '\\xff' * 6 + hw_addr * 16

# ...and send it to the broadcast address using UDP

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
  s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_BROADCAST, 1)
  s.sendto(msg, ('', 9))
  s.close()

# Example use
WakeOnLan('00:00:00:00:00:00')
On the last line, replace the 00:00:00:00:00:00 with your MAC address of your machine that you want to wake up. I'm assuming your machine is properly configured to wake on lan.

Then place the file into the scripts folder (xbmc\\scripts). In order to run the script you can run it via the Add-On menu or have a custom add-on button for it which is what I do. You can create a custom addon button in the skin settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4871 of 4887 Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin BC View Post

I dusted off my Xbox this week and updated to the latest build. I'd love to put it back into service as a dedicated music player, outputing SPDIF to a reciever - but I cannot find a viable web interface skin that will allow me to control from a handheld Hp Ipaq.
The objective is to not have it hooked up to a TV.

I cant help you with the HP Ipaq but there is a nice app for the IPhone/itouch that works great and lets you scroll through album covers or songs.
I believe there is also an app for android phones as well.

post #4872 of 4887 Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I cant help you with the HP Ipaq but there is a nice app for the IPhone/itouch that works great and lets you scroll through album covers or songs.
I believe there is also an app for android phones as well.

Thanks for this lead.
I saw this app when it came out - but assumed it was specific to the PC branch of XBMC. I'll load it onto my daughters Ipod to demo, and if it's as slick as it looks in the videos, Daddy's in line for a new 8GB 4th Generation iPod Touch this weekend .
post #4873 of 4887 Old 09-24-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin BC View Post

Thanks for this lead.
I saw this app when it came out - but assumed it was specific to the PC branch of XBMC. I'll load it onto my daughters Ipod to demo, and if it's as slick as it looks in the videos, Daddy's in line for a new 8GB 4th Generation iPod Touch this weekend .

Good luck and report back on what you think of it.

post #4874 of 4887 Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Throw this code into Notepad and save it as wake.py (or whatever you want with extension .py).

Code:
# Wake-On-LAN
#
# Copyright (C) 2002 by Micro Systems Marc Balmer
# Written by Marc Balmer, marc@msys.ch, http://www.msys.ch/
# This code is free software under the GPL

import struct, socket

def WakeOnLan(ethernet_address):

# Construct a six-byte hardware address

addr_byte = ethernet_address.split(':')
  hw_addr = struct.pack('BBBBBB', int(addr_byte[0], 16),
    int(addr_byte[1], 16),
    int(addr_byte[2], 16),
    int(addr_byte[3], 16),
    int(addr_byte[4], 16),
    int(addr_byte[5], 16))

# Build the Wake-On-LAN "Magic Packet"...

msg = '\\xff' * 6 + hw_addr * 16

# ...and send it to the broadcast address using UDP

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
  s.setsockopt(socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_BROADCAST, 1)
  s.sendto(msg, ('', 9))
  s.close()

# Example use
WakeOnLan('00:00:00:00:00:00')
On the last line, replace the 00:00:00:00:00:00 with your MAC address of your machine that you want to wake up. I'm assuming your machine is properly configured to wake on lan.

Then place the file into the scripts folder (xbmc\\scripts). In order to run the script you can run it via the Add-On menu or have a custom add-on button for it which is what I do. You can create a custom addon button in the skin settings.

thanks.. got the script working.. still working on the custom button (still use pm3hd) but not that big an issue..
bw
post #4875 of 4887 Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:

thanks.. got the script working.. still working on the custom button (still use pm3hd) but not that big an issue..
bw

I was looking at xbmc4xbox forums and they have a wake on lan plugin that you can combine with a autoexcec scrip. It turns the server on when you turn the xbox on.. no need for a custom button.. Installed it last night and works great. you can find it in the python scrips/plugins area.
post #4876 of 4887 Old 09-30-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I've set this up as a distributing music server, and it's working great. Just one small (big) issue with the remote app - it seems to have an issue with song order/track display depending on the view. Choosing song "2" from an Album drill down plays song "5" in the menu. I'm exploring this on the Apps developers forum.

If we can solve that issue, I have my end game solution. (until I win the lotto and get real silly with this stuff...)
post #4877 of 4887 Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was looking at xbmc4xbox forums and they have a wake on lan plugin that you can combine with a autoexcec scrip. It turns the server on when you turn the xbox on.. no need for a custom button.. Installed it last night and works great. you can find it in the python scrips/plugins area.
Cool. I do recall seeing a post about that addon. I don't need my machines on each time I use the xbox but I'm glad it works for you. Wake On Lan is a pretty useful feature.

On another note, I recently started backing up my DVDs to x264 mkv files. XBMC Xbox is pretty picky about x264 but I found a xbox profile for HandBrake (forgot where unfortunately) but it seems to work well with xbox and maintain pretty good video quality with 5.1 sound. Most of my backups are in the 1-2gb range (1.3gb avg). I've attached the Handbrake profile if anyone else wants to try it.

xbox-x264.zip 0.939453125k . file

post #4878 of 4887 Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM

I'm about to buy this one on ebay. Can anyone please give me an opinion if it is a good buy? Pro and Con will be appriciate.

Thank you for your advise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Acer-A...item19bfdd38ec
post #4879 of 4887 Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Well, a couple of frustrating days spent with this App from Collect3. It looks so promising, but for the life of me I cannot make it queue an album by track number - it insists on playing the songs alphabetically.

That's a fatal deal breaking flaw. Not the way to hear Abby Road.
post #4880 of 4887 Old 10-02-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by negobus View Post

I'm about to buy this one on ebay. Can anyone please give me an opinion if it is a good buy? Pro and Con will be appriciate.

Thank you for your advise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Acer-A...item19bfdd38ec

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to subscribe to the thread about the Revo and XBMC here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=revo

That eBay deal could be a good deal or could be bad. There's no "Buy it now" price, so it all depends on how much you can get it for. You can buy it brand new from Amazon for $330, so you certainly don't want to pay more than that. You can also get the original 1600 model for $180 refurbished, or $250 new. Originally, you could get that one for $200 new. I'm thinking that it was such a hot seller at that price that either Acer or their resellers increased the price as a result. The cheaper model will likely require an XBMC Live/Linux install in order to get great high-bitrate 1080p playback fully within XBMC (or you can launch an external player like MPC-HC to do that, but that makes it a tad clunkier), or with the 3600 you can essentially do it "out of the box" just by installing XBMC since XBMC for Vista/Windows 7 natively supports the NVIDIA ION processor. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how much labor/time you're willing to put into it.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #4881 of 4887 Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

On another note, I recently started backing up my DVDs to x264 mkv files. XBMC Xbox is pretty picky about x264 but I found a xbox profile for HandBrake (forgot where unfortunately) but it seems to work well with xbox and maintain pretty good video quality with 5.1 sound. Most of my backups are in the 1-2gb range (1.3gb avg). I've attached the Handbrake profile if anyone else wants to try it.

What version of Handbrake are you using? I used to have .94/Windows dialed-in fairly well (using a bitrate target and vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=1500). However, I have yet to get a useable encode using the nightlies on either W7 or Linux (Ubuntu).

--
zimdba
post #4882 of 4887 Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM

OK, I found this thread on the xbmc4xbox forums that describes my issue:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1228

Are people using mplayer or dvdplayer as their default player in XBMC?

--
zimdba
post #4883 of 4887 Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using the default player, I've never changed the settings other than what is set by XBMC, which is mplayer I believe.

post #4884 of 4887 Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This thread has really died off as people have (presumably) moved onto more modern hardware!

Quick question to anyone still following this thread... back when I did my softmod I also added a 320GB hard drive (which as it turns out, I never really needed). Now if I want to take that drive out to use in a PC, what would I need to do? I vaguely recall needing to lock/unlock drives with some Linux tools. No way to just install the drive in a PC and reformat/partition unless it is unlocked first - is that correct?

Thanks!
post #4885 of 4887 Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe that is correct. You have to unlock it before you can use the drive. You can unlock it via xbmc I believe also. Just make sure you have your eeprom backed up before you do so you can use it to put in another drive.

post #4886 of 4887 Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Hi AVS-Xbmc people,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what is the correct file structure to get back a failed XBMC update? In 2006 I took an original Xbox v1.6, did the Krazie-Ndure softmod and MechAssault to install XBMC (which, unknown to me, used a Virtual C-drive technique), but gave me flawless media-serving for years.

Present day, I needed to playback SWF and FLV files, so I updated using the AID disc (Auto-Installer Deluxe). However, I mistakenly chose the option: "Softmod without Virtual-C". Did not work. After several attempts to correct this and re-install the softmod, I suddenly lost the ability to read the DVD boot discs. Only EvolutionX's dash now boots, but only two options are presented:
- Launch Disc (which does nothing)
- System Settings (which works, but doesn't help much)

However, my FTP works (I am studying to be a network engineer), so I can easily retrieve and place files from/to the Xbox from a separate machine. Also, I have full FTP backups of (2) v1.6 identical Xboxes on my laptop. I also have the EEprom backups from both Xboxes saved.

Theoretically, I have everything I need to fix this. However, I only have 1 chance to FTP over the fileset. Once I replace the EvoX dashboard, I might lose the FTP. And without the disc boot working, I would have no way to try again.

Questions:
1) What *.xbe and dashboard files are really needed to boot my softmod?
2) Does the old school Krazie Ndure softmod with Virtual C drive put all the new stuff on the E drive and leave the C drive alone?

If you or any other experts know how to restore files manually over FTP (and have done this before), please let me know.

Thanks,
Will in San Jose

"It's always snowing at 2 a.m."
post #4887 of 4887 Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Since you have the Eprom saved you can rebuild the hard drive using XboxHDM V1.9 with the help of an old PC with an IDE connection. I believe you will need the stock C: and E: contents which you should be able to find somewhere(slayers or AID I believe has them). There is a tutorial on the xbox-scene forum. Also check out xbmc4xbox.org, as that is where the most up to date info can be found for the xbox platform these days it seems.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page