DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4887 Old 05-19-2006, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Definitely think it's a problem w/ some 3rd party hi def adapters. I purchased a made-in-China off-brand adapter that was previously mentioned in this thread. It enabled switched selection of component outputs or composite/s video, plus digital and analog audio but resulted in a picture with horrendous ghosting! Opened the thing up and found an incredibly bad pc board that was dirty/contaminated and had bad shielding (junk!).

When using either the Microsoft high definition AV pack (purchased through lik-san out of Hong Kong - great service!) or the Psyclone high def cable, have an incredibly good picture at 720p. Now always use the 720p output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4887 Old 05-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Ricksan,

I definitely agree with you!

I purchased one of the made-in-China third party adaptors from Computer Geeks that allowed switching between component and composite/s video and it had the exact same problem.

I opened the case like you did, touched up the bad solder joints and cleaned the board to no avail.

Checking out the prices on Amazon for the genuine MS HD adaptor, I could not believe the asking prices for the used ones ($30-$50) let alone a new one ($60). So I headed over to the local Game Stop and found a used one for $6.95 that was 100% guaranteed or money back.

Hooked it up, selected 720p and 1080i and could not believe the quality of the display! No more ghosting and the GUI was clear and crisp! I have the GUI set to 720p which is the native resolution of my display and have found that the movies play at 1080i which the display converts back to 720p.

Bottom line here: Beware of third party HD adaptors unless it is a Psyclone!

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #543 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 08:10 AM

I'm definately a noob when it comes to XBMC, and I have some beginners questions. What happend to my HD space? It's only got about 5 of the 8 gig avaliable, and I'm sure not all the "system" files take up 3 gig. It looks like about 800 meg is tied up in 3 other directories labeled X,Y, and Z. Just looked strange to me. Also, how do you get the Emulators to work in the EMU folder? Funny that I can get them to work if I put them in the apps or games folders, but not the emu one.

I've been recording shows on my computer and direct feeding them to XBMC and they look great. Best part is I don't have to spring for WMC right now, just to have it replaced with Vista in a year.

=MATT=
post #544 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller1972 View Post

I'm definately a noob when it comes to XBMC, and I have some beginners questions. What happend to my HD space? It's only got about 5 of the 8 gig avaliable, and I'm sure not all the "system" files take up 3 gig. It looks like about 800 meg is tied up in 3 other directories labeled X,Y, and Z. Just looked strange to me. Also, how do you get the Emulators to work in the EMU folder? Funny that I can get them to work if I put them in the apps or games folders, but not the emu one.

I've been recording shows on my computer and direct feeding them to XBMC and they look great. Best part is I don't have to spring for WMC right now, just to have it replaced with Vista in a year.

=MATT=

Where do you have your emulators installed specifically? I think XBMC looks into the F:\\Emu by default.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #545 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

Where do you have your emulators installed specifically? I think XBMC looks into the F:\\Emu by default.

I tied there, with and without a sub-directory and neither works. I can put them in the apps and it worked there, just not under the emulators. Strange.

Any idea on the Hard Drive space? Does everyone have the same (that didn't upgrade their HD). What are those other 800 mb drives/partions? I was hoping for about 7 Gig of space (on the * Gig HD) would be enough that I wouldn't have to change out my HD, but what I got was only about 4-5 (4.8 maybe?).

=MATT=
post #546 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Matt,
What version of XBMC are you using? I had my modder install a 160gb hard drive into my xbox, and the drive is split into a few partitions, I'm guessing the xbox has to have the hd split up into a few partitions by default. You can put whatever you want in each partition. Are you saying you have 4-5 gb total or in just one of the partitions?

post #547 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller1972 View Post

I tied there, with and without a sub-directory and neither works. I can put them in the apps and it worked there, just not under the emulators. Strange.

Any idea on the Hard Drive space? Does everyone have the same (that didn't upgrade their HD). What are those other 800 mb drives/partions? I was hoping for about 7 Gig of space (on the * Gig HD) would be enough that I wouldn't have to change out my HD, but what I got was only about 4-5 (4.8 maybe?).

=MATT=

XMBC Code is about 80M with the latest release...

Thumbnails and the Music and Film databases can consume space...

but I'm not sure what your question is... Remeber game saves and other stuff are also on your Xbox HD.... Are you saying that XBMC consumed several gig of disk space after you installed it? That I doubt highly...

The paths that are used by PRORAMS, GAMES, and Emulatiors on my programs is in the xboxmediacenter.xml

Adjust the paths there to fit your system. This works fine for me and I have 5 emulators listed on my system....

Sean
post #548 of 4887 Old 05-22-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I just checked my xbox hard drive, my emulators are in F:\\Emulators. Of course, you can set it to whatever you want in the xboxmediacenter.xml as sean mentioned but I think default is now F:\\Emulators (along with G:\\Emulators and E:\\Emulators).

post #549 of 4887 Old 05-23-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

XMBC Code is about 80M with the latest release...

Thumbnails and the Music and Film databases can consume space...

but I'm not sure what your question is... Remeber game saves and other stuff are also on your Xbox HD.... Are you saying that XBMC consumed several gig of disk space after you installed it? That I doubt highly...

The paths that are used by PRORAMS, GAMES, and Emulatiors on my programs is in the xboxmediacenter.xml

Adjust the paths there to fit your system. This works fine for me and I have 5 emulators listed on my system....

Sean

Yea, that's what I'm saying. I didn't have anything on the HD but a couple of Xbox game saves (less than 16 meg worth as they all fit for back-up on 2 mem cards), but after I did the softmod and installed XBMC I only had 4.x left to work with. That seemed strange to me. I'm using the latest version of XBMC, and I just don't see where the space went on the 8 gig HD except that in the "files" section of XBMC I can see several other drive partitions that are not being used (and that I can't seem to access by FTP).

I fixed the emulators issue When I installed XBMC there was an e:\\Emu directory, so I used that. After tinkering I noticed the directory should have been "Emulators" not "Emu", so I renamed the directory, but in all my genius I spelled Emulateors instead of Emulators So of course since I was having problems before I KNEW something was wrong with XMBC and decided to ask the experts here at AVS. Anyhow, thanks for making me feel better Sean by misspelling Emulators in your post as well

So any ideas on the HD thing? Is that just standard or is something crazy going on? And what's with the other 3 drives/partitions labeled X:, Y:, and Z: which are empty but have about 800meg dedicated to them?

=MATT=
post #550 of 4887 Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe the XYZ drives are standard and is used by the xbox for cache for games.

post #551 of 4887 Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 PM

Yes, I can vouch the X,Y,and Z are for the cache. When new game 'backups' do not operate properly, cleaning out the cache from the old games will remedy the problem. This worked for me during the GTA San Andreas 'Hot Coffee' update.
post #552 of 4887 Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I can check on the file space issue when I get home but I am on the road travelling and don't have access to my xboxes.. There is a lot of small files in the XBMC release, maybe overhead with small files is causing the issue. I can investigate further next week....

Sean
post #553 of 4887 Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM

Currently, when I go into my System Info is shows the following:

Resolution: 720x480
A/V Cable: S-video

Where can I change these options?

I have a FP that only accepts a progressive signal.
post #554 of 4887 Old 05-27-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnrol View Post

Currently, when I go into my System Info is shows the following:

Resolution: 720x480
A/V Cable: S-video

Where can I change these options?

I have a FP that only accepts a progressive signal.

You are using S-Video. You need to get the component adapter in order to do other resolutions such as 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

post #555 of 4887 Old 05-27-2006, 06:03 PM

I am currently using s-video.

However, I did hook up component and xbmc still said I was connecting via s-video.

I am using a mad catz HD adapter.

Is is true XBMC will autodetect?

My MSdash is not working with error 21 appearing. I would like to be able to make adjustments using XBMC.
post #556 of 4887 Old 05-27-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure how the madcatz adapter works.... but I'm using another 3rd party adapter that has svideo and component, and it has a switch on it to let me select svideo/composite or component.

XBMC seems to rely on the MS Dash settings. You have to enable 480p, 720p, and 1080i from the MS Dash for XBMC to allow those resolutions. Some of the other dashboards allow you to set these settings also, but I usually do it via the original MS Dash.

post #557 of 4887 Old 05-28-2006, 12:35 AM

Hello all -

Is it possible to simply upload a new version of xbmc over the old one or do I have to delete something first? I screwed up my xbox media center and was looking for some help.

I edited the xbmc.xml file and tried to ftp it back to the original folder on the xbox media center but it wouldn't accept it. I left it under E/Apps but since I had two xml files I figured I could delete this one. BIG mistake. I no longer have the nice pic like at the start of this thread but a dark screen with some red lettering about my ftp transfer and port info.

If anyone could offer a simpler explanation of how to edit the xml file that would be great too. Directions aren't very thorough on the net.

Very, very grateful for any assistance
post #558 of 4887 Old 05-28-2006, 05:45 AM

Rebel,

This error message is mostlikely due to an issue with the xml file. All you need to do is boot to an Evox disc and you can re do the transfer. I am still a littel confused as to where teh file should go. I usually leave one in the root of my C:/ drive and also put on in the e:/Apps/XBMC folder. However make sure that you read the message in red that is displayed when you boot XBMC. It willl probably tell you that there is a certain error in a particular line in the xml file. You probably forgot to put in a > or something like that. It happened to me a few times and I had to go back to the xml file to see where I went wrong.
post #559 of 4887 Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your response - maybe I can get a screen shot of the tv. I do not know what an Evox disc is and I know there was an xml file in the e/apps area you mention but not sure about the root of the c drive - I'll check it out and post back. Hope you (or others) will help me out because I REALLY want to get this media server working!

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssusca View Post

Rebel,

This error message is mostlikely due to an issue with the xml file. All you need to do is boot to an Evox disc and you can re do the transfer. I am still a littel confused as to where teh file should go. I usually leave one in the root of my C:/ drive and also put on in the e:/Apps/XBMC folder. However make sure that you read the message in red that is displayed when you boot XBMC. It willl probably tell you that there is a certain error in a particular line in the xml file. You probably forgot to put in a > or something like that. It happened to me a few times and I had to go back to the xml file to see where I went wrong.

post #560 of 4887 Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GiantRebel,
The best way to install xbmc is to transfer the new build of XBMC to a new folder. What I usually do is rename the old XBMC folder to keep it as a backup just in case, and put the new build as the new XBMC folder.

You should have a boot disc (with a dashboard like evolutionx) so you can ftp to the xbox in case you ever mess up something on your main dashboard (in this case, XBMC).

When upgrading xbmc, I usually go into another dashboard like evolutionx to get the ftp running and then rename the old xbmc folder and transfer over the newer xbmc as the main xbmc. I also backup the face#### folder from the udata and tdata folder. You should delete these folders when upgrading xbmc.

post #561 of 4887 Old 05-28-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your help - what I discovered was that it was an error in the xml file as ssusca said. I decided to try and ftp the xml file again but this time when having the xbox running and open to e/apps/xbmc. I edited out what I put in yesterday and ftped it to the xbox and the medida center was back!

I still need to figure out how to share but what got me going in this direction was a tutorial from a site that talked about smb sharing but how to edit the xml file was still complicated (obviously).

I also got an e-mail from the guy who modded my xbox and told me this:

"The way I have mine setup is, I share the folders that have my movies on them on my pc (right click share)" - easy enough

"And then I edited the .xml file in the xbmc folder to have a link to my pc" - this is where I run into trouble/confusion
"I created a guest account on my pc with a name and password." - easy enough again

"Then I just used the proper syntax for the link - trouble again here - with my PCs IP address in there."

As for syntax, editing, etc. does it have to be as it is when I open in wordpad, i.e. so many spaces from the left under a certain bookmark? After I ftped the file to my pc I edited it in wordpad - is that the best way to do it?

Uh, lots of questions but I appreciate your help. Feel like I'm making headway...
post #562 of 4887 Old 05-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRebel55 View Post

Thanks for your help - what I discovered was that it was an error in the xml file as ssusca said. I decided to try and ftp the xml file again but this time when having the xbox running and open to e/apps/xbmc. I edited out what I put in yesterday and ftped it to the xbox and the medida center was back!

I still need to figure out how to share but what got me going in this direction was a tutorial from a site that talked about smb sharing but how to edit the xml file was still complicated (obviously).

I also got an e-mail from the guy who modded my xbox and told me this:

"The way I have mine setup is, I share the folders that have my movies on them on my pc (right click share)" - easy enough

"And then I edited the .xml file in the xbmc folder to have a link to my pc" - this is where I run into trouble/confusion
"I created a guest account on my pc with a name and password." - easy enough again

"Then I just used the proper syntax for the link - trouble again here - with my PCs IP address in there."

As for syntax, editing, etc. does it have to be as it is when I open in wordpad, i.e. so many spaces from the left under a certain bookmark? After I ftped the file to my pc I edited it in wordpad - is that the best way to do it?

Uh, lots of questions but I appreciate your help. Feel like I'm making headway...

After you FTP the .xml file to your PC, you open it in wordpad
Find the sections where you want to share files from you PC.
There is a section labeled:

Under this heading you will see a default path... and several bookmarks.
When you click My Movies from the XBMC home screen, it will go to the default path.
If you want this to be your shared movie folder, put the path between the tags in the following format:

smb://loginassword@ip address/share name

save the edited xml and ftp it back to the xbox
post #563 of 4887 Old 05-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Funky_K,

I do not know what build of XBMC you have, but you can do this in XBMC build 5/5 under settings/network.

Just a thought.

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #564 of 4887 Old 05-29-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_K View Post

After you FTP the .xml file to your PC, you open it in wordpad
Find the sections where you want to share files from you PC.
There is a section labeled:

Under this heading you will see a default path... and several bookmarks.
When you click My Movies from the XBMC home screen, it will go to the default path.
If you want this to be your shared movie folder, put the path between the tags in the following format:

smb://loginassword@ip address/share name

save the edited xml and ftp it back to the xbox

Thanks for your help.

When I tried as you said I get an error message under my videos that states, "Can't find computer by that name." Is it possible to have two ip addresses? I am connected to a router but have an IP different than the usualy 192.168 etc. I do find a 192.168 numbwe if I do a command prompt search for ip config all. This will be great if I ever get it to work. Oh, when inputting the share name, do caps matter and what about spaces? I have it named as PC Videos. Thanks again to all for your help.
post #565 of 4887 Old 05-30-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRebel55 View Post

Thanks for your help.

When I tried as you said I get an error message under my videos that states, "Can't find computer by that name." Is it possible to have two ip addresses? I am connected to a router but have an IP different than the usualy 192.168 etc. I do find a 192.168 numbwe if I do a command prompt search for ip config all. This will be great if I ever get it to work. Oh, when inputting the share name, do caps matter and what about spaces? I have it named as PC Videos. Thanks again to all for your help.

on your PC, start a cmd prompt and type: ipconfig

That will give you your local ip address.

Alternatively, you can substitute the computer's name:

smb://loginassword@computer name/PC Videos
post #566 of 4887 Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Here is a sample of my XBMC.xml file... thought it might help.

By the way, CAPS do effect things so make sure it matches in your XBMC.xml file.

Below is how my samba is set up...

-
mshome
(SMB) Network
-
-
-

Below is how my My Video's portion is set up...

-
DVD,DVD1
-
DVD,DVD1
smb://192.168.0.3/DVD
smb://192.168.0.3/DVD1

Hope this might be of some help!
post #567 of 4887 Old 05-31-2006, 12:16 PM

I personally love this method for streaming. It's awesome to say the least.

I have alot of movies in compressed format as XVID. I have a few of my favorites served as DVDs. You know, the classics - Bring it On, You Got Served, Honey.

Anyone have experience cleaning up the database after you have entries in there? I dont really want to delete the db and start again, but if i had to, what file am i looking for? Is there a "clear database" button on the GUI.

The problem i have with XBMC is it isnt ideal with MultiZone audio. Airport express and itunes seems to be the way for that.
post #568 of 4887 Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmoller View Post

Anyone have experience cleaning up the database after you have entries in there? I dont really want to delete the db and start again, but if i had to, what file am i looking for? Is there a "clear database" button on the GUI.

It's under the UserData folder, delete the MyVideos31.db if you are using one of the latest past few builds.

Quote:

The problem i have with XBMC is it isnt ideal with MultiZone audio. Airport express and itunes seems to be the way for that.

Sure you could...you'll just need an xbox and wireless bridge (if you do wireless) in every room, similar to how the airport works, except the xbox is just a little bit bigger, but you do get to do multizone video in addition to audio.

post #569 of 4887 Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

I am presently running the 5-5-2006 T3CH CVS build.

I just downloaded the 5-28-06 T3CH CVS build, but have yet to install it on my XBOX.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Regards,
TCIII

post #570 of 4887 Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes Tom....

I loaded it today... A few things are broken like no matter what I get celcius... More moving of the thumbs DB and playlists and moving stuff from the xboxmediacenter.xml I would wait to update unless you like the pain like me or you want something they fixed....

most all scripts are still broken since they updated the python libraries....

Sean
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page